PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Freeman with a great takedown of the haterez

Status
Not open for further replies.
good article except for one major error:

"Belichick ignored it. He kept taping, especially the Jets' practices."

It is amazing how many people, sportswriters, coaches, and players included, that think the Patriots taped practices. They just can't get it through their heads that half of the controversy (the part sparked by Tomase) was 100% made-up crap.

Spygate was in-game filming of defensive signal-calling from the sideline, and was not even done in secret, and was a violation of the field operations guide rather than the NFL rulebook. The field operations guide also tells you how often to cut and water the grass on a natural turf field and defines the correct pressure for inflating footballs.

It is amazing how many people, sportswriters, coaches, and players included, that think the Patriots taped practices. They just can't get it through their heads that half of the controversy (the part sparked by Tomase) was 100% made-up crap.

Spygate was in-game filming of defensive signal-calling from the sideline, and was not even done in secret, and was a violation of the field operations guide rather than the NFL rulebook. The field operations guide also tells you how often to cut and water the grass on a natural turf field and defines the correct pressure for inflating footballs.

Looks like that line has been taken out, just did a quick control + F and searched it and got zero results.

Is this what it was replaced by?:

Remember what Spygate was in the first place. The NFL asked all teams to stop videotaping coaching signals during games. That's the key: Almost every team in the NFL was doing it. The league sent out a memo. Belichick ignored it. That is why the league blasted Belichick. He basically told them he didn't care what they said.

Belichick gained nothing from the taping. Not a thing.

In the article Freeman says BB taped Jets practices. Am I wrong? When did that happen?

EDIT: I see others brought it up and it's already been removed. When the hell are people going to get it that NE never taped any practices/walkthroughs/locker rooms/bathrooms/etc.?

They fixed the error within 5 minutes of when I read it and commented.

this what what he originally wrote (I still have the uncorrected version up in my browser):

Remember what Spygate was in the first place. The NFL asked all teams to stop videotaping coaching signals during games. That's the key: Almost every team in the NFL was doing it. The league sent out a memo. Belichick ignored it. He kept taping, especially the Jets' practices. That is why the league blasted Belichick. He basically told them he didn't care what they said.

well, at least he fixed it.

great article now!

In the article Freeman says BB taped Jets practices. Am I wrong? When did that happen?

EDIT: I see others brought it up and it's already been removed. When the hell are people going to get it that NE never taped any practices/walkthroughs/locker rooms/bathrooms/etc.?
For crissakes, Lou Merloni still mentions taping the Rams' walk-through as a fact.

Surprisingly good article by Freeman who was terrible at CBS.

My opinion is Ernie A was interested in how fast the defensive signals came into the game, not what the calls were. If you know how long your opponent takes to get the signals in, you know how quickly/slowly to run your hurry up before the D has their call.

Answer: Evidently, when people like Palm Beach Pats Fan point out the complete falsehood of that claim.

Good job, PBPF! I wouldn't be surprised if the writer or editor was told to correct the mistake quickly. It may have been from that post or it may have been from another person seeing it was wrong.

No one should sit back and take it.

For crissakes, Lou Merloni still mentions taping the Rams' walk-through as a fact.

The Krafts should sue him, then.

Maybe people should talk about whether Lou Merloni kills neighborhood puppies in his basement.

BTW, the article is STILL wrong.

The memo did not say that taping signals during games was illegal.

It said that taping signals FROM THE SIDELINES (and not from certain proscribed covered areas of the stadium - i.e. pressbox) was now illegal.

I'm willing to bet many teams today tape the other teams' signals within the guidelines of this memo.

Tomase, what a POS. WEEI is off my list of stations to listen to now that he is affiliated with them.

I had to have the haterz talk with my 8 year old last night. It blew his mind that people could hate us because we are too good. But it happens all the time. People love it when something is good for a brief period of time, but when it is TOO good and you can't buy it or replicate it for yourself, watch out.

I had to have the haterz talk with my 8 year old last night. It blew his mind that people could hate us because we are too good. But it happens all the time. People love it when something is good for a brief period of time, but when it is TOO good and you can't buy it or replicate it for yourself, watch out.

Bingo. I have deal with haters 24 hours a day.

I try not to let them get too close.

We're born good. We're taught to be assholes.

The Krafts should sue him, then.

Maybe people should talk about whether Lou Merloni kills neighborhood puppies in his basement.
I honestly would never suspect Lou of doing that. He's still a dink.

It doesn't matter, people still call them cheaters. It doesn't matter when you provide proof that the Patriots are a superior offensive team to when they were taping signals, they're just cheating in different ways.

It will never matter to some people how many wins and championships our team may get - they'll always cite spygate because it's a convenient excuse.

But we all do it. I don't know the specifics of the Big Ben rape stuff but I still call him a rapist because it's a convenient way to take down an opposing player. I don't know if Ray Lewis actually did anything wrong (obstruction of justice charges notwithstanding) but I still don't like him because of it. This is the subconscious side of me talking here.

When people say they root against the Pats when we're playing the Broncos because they hate cheaters it tells you what it is really about. (Cheating the salary cap far outweighs the impact of taping defensive signals)
When people say they root against the Pats when we're playing the Colts because the Patriots had a guy play for them who killed people it tells you what it is really about. (Marvin Harrison is no better than Aaron Hernandez)

It's about it being a convenient way to backup what someone already feels.

We're lucky, as fans we can just ignore it. I limit myself to roughly 1 spygate debate a year. Belichick and Brady are forever tainted in some people's eyes and always will be. If they won a few more rings they'd silence the vast majority. But there will always be people who will never give up on their beliefs in this regard.

Which is why it's a waste to try debate the topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Back