PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Free Agency Reaction: Are the Broncos really that much better?

Just like the Pats, the Broncos were crippled by injuries last year.
So I would say its a fair assumption that they will improve significantly with normal injury luck. Coupled with the acquisition of some big-name free agents, I can't blame them for being optimistic.

With regards to Seattle, it should be remembered that they had virtually no injuries at the end of the season. With normal injury luck next year, they will probably decline significantly. Which bodes well for both the Pats and the Broncos.

Yup....you're Broncos fan....

So I would say its a fair assumption that they will improve significantly with normal injury luck. Coupled with the acquisition of some big-name free agents, I can't blame them for being optimistic.

With regards to Seattle, it should be remembered that they had virtually no injuries at the end of the season. With normal injury luck next year, they will probably decline significantly. Which bodes well for both the Pats and the Broncos.

How were the Broncos "crippled" by injuries last year?

Compared to the Pats, I mean...

Seattle had virtually no injuries last year? :eek:

Sure I remember a Seahawks fan I talk to saying at one point they were down to 1 starting OL left, Harvin missed most of the season, Rice was injured, Browner was injured for a time and Wagner missed some time too.

Yeah it isn't anything like what the Pats had but they lost some big players for periods of time.

I still the Broncos have a lot of questions that people seem to want to brush over:

At 38, how much of a drop off will Manning have? His arm strength has been steadily declining over recent years and he seems to not be able to throw for more than 20 yards other than rare occasions anymore. When does his declining arm strength become a bigger factor than his football intelligence and quick release can overcome?

All I keep hearing is how everyone is assuming Emmanuel Sanders is going to get over 1,000 yards. But is he? If you look at the way Manning used Decker and D. Thomas last year, he threw a lot of floaters and used his receivers' height to his advantage to let them fight for balls in the air a lot of the time. Sanders can't do that. Can Manning work the sidelines throwing tight spirals to benefit Sanders' speed rather than Decker's size.

How much does Welker have left and can he take up the slack from the loss of Welker? Even before his two concussions, Welker started to show his age a bit and was slower than the year before. After the second concussion, he just wasn't the same player. Will we see the guy who started the year last year (who was good, but not what he was here), the guy after the concussions, or even worse? He is at the age where many receivers hit the age way hard and many players never come back from concussions.

Can Talib stay healthy and perform at an elite level? Talib's tenure here was overrated. I am on record last year that I didn't think his 2012 campaign was anything special except his addition allowed the Pats to move McCourty to safety which helped two positions in the secondary. He was a stud the first five and half games of the year last year, but was at best above average the rest of the year. He is constantly injured. If he can stay healthy and play like he did the first third of the season last year, he is an upgrade over DRC. If not, he could be a downgrade.

What about the Broncos' schedule? Their schedule looks to be much tougher this year (granted things could change radically). Last year, they had the NFC East that sucked (especially since they faced the Eagles when Vick was still starting). This year, they have the NFC West that has four potential playoff teams (although the Rams would need to make a decent jump). Three of those teams last year had double digit wins. Last year, their SOS schedule games in the AFC were the Patriots and Ravens, this year it is the Bengals and Colts. Should be two tough games instead of one.

Other questions:

• Do they have a lead RB? Ball had a decent two or three game stretch, but really wasn't anything special?
  • Can they replace the interior part of their line?
  • They have several key players coming back from injury. I would assume Miller will be back to close to 100%, but what about Chris Harris who tore his ACL in the playoffs? He has a much shorter recovery time.

The Pats have their own questions, but people act like the Broncos are all locked and ready to go.

Seattle had virtually no injuries last year? :eek:

Sure I remember a Seahawks fan I talk to saying at one point they were down to 1 starting OL left, Harvin missed most of the season, Rice was injured, Browner was injured for a time and Wagner missed some time too.

Yeah it isn't anything like what the Pats had but they lost some big players for periods of time.

You missed the qualifier I put in my post about "no significant injuries at the end of the season".

I'll give you Rice, which probably was their WR3 (behind Harvin and Baldwin).
And McCoy which would have been their TE2 or TE3.

While Browner was missing at the end, that wasn't due to injury.

On paper, the Broncos' D got considerably better, but a lot depends on how Von Miller and Chris Harris come back from ACL injuries, and if Talib can stay healthy.

On paper, the offense got a bit weaker with the losses of Beadles and Decker. Moreno is still unsigned. A lot depends on whether Chris Clark transitions well to LG, and how Ryan Clady comes back from his foot injury.

Four thoughts, one of which is pure speculation and another of which is a wild ass guess.

One. Yeah. They're better on paper. So what? We all know what "better on paper" is worth.

Two. Peyton still has to show that he can be half the QB in the post-season that he is between September and December. I'm not holding my breath.

Three. Peyton isn't getting any younger and he will never be stronger than he was last season. (Pure speculation)

Four. Denver has had unusually warm weather the past two seasons, with little need for the home team (aka Peyton) to play in the elements (except for the Ravens game two years ago...and we all know what happened to Peyton's arm during that game...froze up like Walden Pond in January). Can that continue three years in a row? (Wild ass guess)

Bottom Line: Denver isn't in the AFCCG, let alone the SB next year.

How were the Broncos "crippled" by injuries last year?

Compared to the Pats, I mean...

The O-Line took a hit by losing Koppen/Walton in the summer and Clady in the second game.

On the defensive side, I would label missing starters Von Miller, Vickerson, Wolfe, Harris, Moore and Bailey for significant time crippling. And a bunch of other bit players.

Again, with normal injury luck, both the Pats and the Broncos will improve significantly.

One point about FA winners and losers is that you have to consider the NET. Throw out the easily replaceable pieces (Wendell, for example).

So I say:

Revis+Browner+LaFell - Talib (Edelman washes)

is greater than

Ward+Talib+Ware+Sanders - (Phillips+Decker+DRC+Bailey+Woodyard+Ayers+Moreno+Kuper+Beadles)

Regarding injuries - players lost and coming back...

Wilfork+Kelly+Mayo+Gronkowski+Vollmer+Talib+Spikes

is greater than

Miller+Harris+Clady

It's still going to take 14 (or 13 if the Pats can beat them next regular season) wins to get the number one seed. Then, hopefully, the weather will actually be bad in the playoffs and we can see Forehead get scared and shrivel up.

The O-Line took a hit by losing Koppen/Walton in the summer and Clady in the second game.

On the defensive side, I would label missing starters Von Miller, Vickerson, Wolfe, Harris, Moore and Bailey for significant time crippling. And a bunch of other bit players.

Again, with normal injury luck, both the Pats and the Broncos will improve significantly.

That list doesn't compare to Wilfork, Gronk, Mayo and for a while Talib.

Also, I don't think Belichick builds his plans around "injury luck."

Their offense was largely kept in tact. O-line is important, but also a bit overrated. It was mainly their defense.

Both our offense AND defense were significantly affected by injuries.

Plus they have the draft to replace some people and fill in holes.

I'm not that convinced the broncos defense is any better.

It is possible that Sanders will fully replace Decker, but it's not like he didn't have a good QB throwing to him in Pittsburgh. Sanders was the lowest percentage target on the steelers.......and still only had 11 yards per catch.

there's something about him that will lead to frustration for manning

Also, this thread should be deleted.

OP is making all Pats fans on here look extremely insecure with threads like this.

Please delete.

Also, this thread should be deleted.

OP is making all Pats fans on here look extremely insecure with threads like this.

Please delete.

Lol, you joined the forum like last month and are already acting like you own it....

This is stupid but I will bite.

Looking at the Superbowl roster, they will get:
All Pro Left Tackle (Clady)
All Pro Rush Linebacker (Miller)
Pro Bowl Corner (Talib)
Former all pro Defensive End (Ware)
Pro bowl Safety (Ward)

They lost their starting guard and 4th WR.

Not really. Broncos will be happy if Ware did what Phillips did last year(for 9 million dollars more), Talib is an upgrade over DRC but less durable. Decker's loss will be felt in the redzone, I'd expect Sanders to put up around 900-1000yds and 6-8 touchdowns. So Decker won't be a huge loss but they do lose some size. Ward is a quality player and is a nice upgrade to an already great run defense. I feel like we made bigger strides. Talib's health will be key. If our defense is mostly healthy it should be better against the pass than Denver. Denver will probably be all around better. Overall, I like our chances with a healthy Gronk and Dobson.

The Broncos have very little cap room to make many moves. According to Bert Breer, they officially have $5.95 million left under the cap. I am not sure they have many moves left to free up more money (like the Pats have). They may be done signing players in free agency and plan to fill the rest of their holes in the draft.

So even though guys like Shaun Phillips and Moreno are out there in free agency, I don't know how likely it is that the Broncos will re-sign them. Or whether they can bargain shop when free agency stalls.

Looking at the players they might extend, only Miller looks to be able to decrease his cap number this year (maybe one or two million). Both Thomases would likely increase their caps (especially Julius who has a $714k cap hit right now).

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
Back