PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

for the 'old' Pats Fans

Status
Not open for further replies.
Chicks are drawn to Tom Brady. Or as a guy on a thread the other day said, his wife refers to Brady as "Hubba Hubba Ding Ding".

just for clarification for this guys wife, it's "hubba hubba zing zing, baby you got everything". from someone who was there.

if the pats do this (the thing that shall not be said) if i may quote others
"they complete me".

i loved houston antwine, but jim "earthquake" hunt was my favorite.

Last edited:
They tore down the goalposts after the Patriots beat Cincinatti to get into the playoffs last game of the regular season.
Even though I don't approve of property damage,as long as they didn't do something dumb like try to walk down RT 1 with it,I guess it is OK.

one question: do you ever thought possible when you followed the franchise in the '60, '70 and '80 that we would have playied now to win the 4th Super Bowl ?

probably i will have an obvious reply but still i'm interested about yr feelings, opinions, sensations

thanks

I've been a fan from the start. One Sunday afternoon in the 60s when I was attending college in Boston, I decided to walk over to Fenway Park to catch the Patriots versus the Raiders. While I'm walking through Kenmore Square, a guy stops me and asks if I'm going to the game. I say "Yes." He then says, "I have a ticket and I can't make the game. Take it, no charge." Couldn't imagine that happening nowadays. The seat was great and the Patriots crushed the Raiders behind Jim Nance's bruising running.

The Patriots of that era were fun to watch, but you always had the feeling that they were a semi-pro operation. When the AFL merged with the NFL, this lack of professionalism was even more apparent. In the first post-merger decade, it seemed liked they always lost when they played an old NFL team. They also had a terrible record on Monday Night Football (not that they ever got on it much). The first time they gained credibility was when they drafted and signed Jim Plunkett, the Drew Bledsoe of his day. Unfortunately, they couldn't protect him and he had to win his SuperBowls elsewhere.

I never dreamed of winning SuperBowls back then, I only wanted the Pats to play (and operate the team) in a way that would gain respect around the league. I guess they've done that.

My earliest distictive Patriots memory was when I was going to high school in Germany. Before that, it's all pretty much lumped together. I was in ninth grade in early '80. I was wearing an old battered Pat Patriot T-shirt and I was being laughed at by most of the American kids at the school (I went to the Embassy school, where most of the American kids were from Greater DC area). The first game I was ever able to go to was while I was home on leave in '85. I watched them beat the Bengals in the last game of the year to clinch the wild card. I haven't missed watching a game since, if it was at all possible to watch it.

This run is the most amazing thing I've ever seen sports wise.

Last edited:
I've been a fan from the start. One Sunday afternoon in the 60s when I was attending college in Boston, I decided to walk over to Fenway Park to catch the Patriots versus the Raiders. While I'm walking through Kenmore Square, a guy stops me and asks if I'm going to the game. I say "Yes." He then says, "I have a ticket and I can't make the game. Take it, no charge." Couldn't imagine that happening nowadays. The seat was great and the Patriots crushed the Raiders behind Jim Nance's bruising running.
One game I went to at Fenway in the 60s, our seats faced the Green Monster. On one punt, I could swear the football was going to kiss off the wall, but it didn't. Strange place for a football game.

The Patriots of that era were fun to watch, but you always had the feeling that they were a semi-pro operation. When the AFL merged with the NFL, this lack of professionalism was even more apparent. In the first post-merger decade, it seemed liked they always lost when they played an old NFL team. They also had a terrible record on Monday Night Football (not that they ever got on it much). The first time they gained credibility was when they drafted and signed Jim Plunkett, the Drew Bledsoe of his day. Unfortunately, they couldn't protect him and he had to win his SuperBowls elsewhere.
I looked up some scores in the early 70s when the Pats started to play the old NFL teams, and you're right, by and large they got creamed. When Plunkett came in, it got better, as you say. I remember Fairbanks, or the offensive coordinator, or whoever, sending in option plays for Plunkett to run, including when he was hurt with a bad shoulder. I hated Fairbanks even before he walked out on the team near the playoffs in 1978.

I never dreamed of winning SuperBowls back then, I only wanted the Pats to play (and operate the team) in a way that would gain respect around the league. I guess they've done that.
I'd say so!

Well, 'we' lost one with the Raiders game in the '70's, and I thought that team in the mid '80's would win one before everything went into freefall (Thanks, Bears!). Then, I honestly thought the team would beat the Packers. Hell, to this day, I believe that the difference between the Patriots winning and losing that game was Howard, and nothing more.

So, I guess it depends on how you're looking at it. I thought that first one was coming several times, but never a whole slew together.

To this day I think Howard's return should have been brought back due to a BLOCK IN THE BACK!! That was the difference in that game IMHO!

I started with N.E. back in the mid 80's. My first game was with my Dad when they lost to DALLAS in OT due to Hershal running down the sideline for a TD.

I was SAD.

LOL -- but no I still am in amazement that THEY are what THEY are today. What a blessing.

To this day I think Howard's return should have been brought back due to a BLOCK IN THE BACK!! That was the difference in that game IMHO!

I started with N.E. back in the mid 80's. My first game was with my Dad when they lost to DALLAS in OT due to Hershal running down the sideline for a TD.

I was SAD.

LOL -- but no I still am in amazement that THEY are what THEY are today. What a blessing.

i thought it should have been brought back by a hold on vinatieri. i know a hold on the kicker seems insignificant, but i saw vinny chase down herschel walker. that was the game.

I guess I became a fan around 10 years old, when Plunkett was playing for Fairbanks. I remember when he was traded to the 49'ers, and I'm still a 49'ers fan partially because of that.

I remember the team sucking so bad that I lined up other teams as my "second favorites", just so I could watch something in the post season.

For SB XXXVI, when they came out announced as a team, then won the huge upset, Kraft saying "we're all Patriots today" and 9/11 emotions all bundled in there, nothing will ever touch that, not 19-0, not Brady winning 7 SB's. This is all wonderful and I look forward to years of domination, but nothing will ever touch SB XXXVI for me.

I am a lifelong fan. I am now 37. My Grandfather who I qoute below, was a lifelong everything New England Fan. He was a Boston Patriots Fan. He was a fan when the team moved to Washington and became the Redskins. I believe the end of the world must be near. The SOX are World Champs, The CELTICS are in 1st place in the whole league, and our PATS are on the verge of legendary history. I will say this, that if the BRUINS win the Cup, I am tatooing my entire chest with all 4 Championship banners. GO PATS!

it was a nice 'begin'...

today is the day !!!

'old', 'medium', 'new' Pats fans: Go Pats !

long day - i will go to sleep (hopefully happy at h 04,00 a.m. monday)

game will be alive here also in hd !

avanti patrioti !!!

Remember the late '70s?

No one can forget the ridiculous "late" hit on Sugar Bear in 1977 against the Raiders. Or what about the phantom whistle that stopped the Patriots from playing defense against the Houston Oilers and were lit up for a long TD pass by Dan Pastorini in 1978?

Life is so good now. The golden era.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference