PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

for the 'old' Pats Fans

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fan since 1963. I never imagined a year like this possible. In fact, the old pessimistic, New England fan that I am, I am worried that we won't win and finish it off. Each time the team has another opportunity for a great achievement I say, let this one come true and I won't ask for anything more. Well, I'm still asking, I want #19 more than anything.

I know for the fans, team, everyone it would be a big disappointment.
Actually, I think we will win ok. Giants didn't have any pressure on them last time, this time they do. Giants have an off week to interrupt their momentum. Bill will not let Eli sit back with no pressure. Bill will not let Plaxico roam free.

It could be a close game but if we get up early, the Giants will belly up. Its a SB tradition. Fall behind early to a superior team, get killed.

I remember how the Dolphins used to own us for 20 years - until 1986, and now we own them and we are knocking on their door and if they don't open it, we are just going to bash the door in and evict them from their own house...

Marino and Elway were my nightmare...

but now is much more better !

one question: do you ever thought possible when you followed the franchise in the '60, '70 and '80 that we would have playied now to win the 4th Super Bowl ?

probably i will have an obvious reply but still i'm interested about yr feelings, opinions, sensations

thanks

Not at all possible to win any SB! But I applied that to all the Boston teams starting in the 70 's: Bruin / Celtics & Sox. It started as a kid for me watching that Oakland playoff game on TV - Pats winning in Oakland / the Snake not looking too confident needing a last minute score and the flag. My uncles / aunts / older cousins going NUTS! F bombs / fingers which, was the 1st time I 'experienced' the Boston dreaded feeling (we suck / always happens) & anger! so I blamed them & my family for my 'clean cut' language from that point on!! ( I was like 6 years old) ....& it was going that way for all the Boston teams: Sox never getting past the Yanks / Bruins never getting past the Habs & the Dolphins owning the Pats...Even in the LArry Legend years (Celtics only ones to win it all) in the 80's u just never felt that way for any other Boston team...capable of winning it all..

Mi piace questo 'thread' ItalianPats...buon' pensato!

I pretty much knew that the Tony Eason SB year was a bit of an aberration.

But I felt that when Parcells/Kraft and Bledsoe were here that we had a foundation for continuing as an annual contender.... it really seemed to me that Pete Carroll jeopardized all that.

Kraft knows he bore responsibility for that and he hired a strong head coach - even giving up a 1st round draft pick to get him.

Even after Belichick retires I'm sure that the Krafts (Jonathan - who is shaping up to do a good job taking over for his Dad when the time comes) will learn their lesson and always have a strong coach.

I've been to games at Fenway, BC(Alumni Field), Harvard Stadium, and Schaefer/Sullivan/Foxboro Stadium (missed only three games ever played there)and -of course- CMGI/Gillette.

I saw Gino kick a last second field goal to beat the Oilers on a Friday night in 1963.

I was at Alumni Field the day the stands caught fire.

I was there to hear Bob Gladieux being paged to report to the Patriots locker room and then looked on in amazement when he made the tackle on the opening kick-off.

I got home at 4:00 am after the absurd traffic jam following the Pats-Giants pre-season game which christened Schaefer Stadium. (Did Rocky Thompson return a kick for a TD that night?)

I went to Miami for the 52-0 shellacking in 1972 - Don Shula's 100th victory.

I was there for the Jumpin' Joe Gerlach half-time show. (Now there's a trivia question).

Returned to Miami for the AFC Championship victory (incredible high) and went on to New Orleans for the Bears (incredible low).

Back to New Orleans for Packers (ugh).

I was there for Bull Bramlett, Roland Moss, Halvor Hagen, Steve Kiner, "Smack
Heroin", Neil Graff, Vagas Ferguson, Hart Lee Dykes, Tom Ramsey, David Posey, "Superfoot".

As the Grateful Dead put it - what a long strange trip it's been.

So I count myself as incredibly fortunate to have witnessed the team of the decade. To be able to share this experience with my wife,sons and brother, and so many great friends is simply an indescribable blessing.

one question: do you ever thought possible when you followed the franchise in the '60, '70 and '80 that we would have playied now to win the 4th Super Bowl ?

probably i will have an obvious reply but still i'm interested about yr feelings, opinions, sensations

thanks

Italian Pat, I'm late.

When I was a kid and i found out we were going to have our own football team, I was so excited. I would check the paper every day for news and to check Larry Garron's stats. Other teams had names for their defensive lines and I thought ours should too, because we had a great four man line.

When we got Jim Nance I thought we'd really have the team, since we were already good.

I figured a title was just around the corner.

Then Nance got fat, Parilli retired and the Dark Ages came.

The Pats were always entertaining and never more so than when they hired Joe Namath's offensive coordinator, the most sought after assistant in the league. Get the star coach and weaken your opponent at the same time? How could you lose? Enough said about that!

I was never a quarterback savior type and when Plunkett imploded due to lack of support I wasn't surprised.

When they got Fairbanks, they started having some of the best drafts ever, on a par with Parcells and Belichick Pioli. I loved that they spent on the secondary, defense and the greatest Olineman ever.

I knew a title was right around the corner.

Bad breaks, bad calls and the betrayal/force out, whatever. I don't like to dwell on those things.

The coaching fell apart, even with all that talent. Dark days again.

Meyer was fun, telling John Hannah he needed to empty his bucketand hannah telling him what he could do with said bucket. Snowplows andgood times, always entertaining.

A weird mystic coach, a first round QB and a top receiver the next year. check put the 1983 draft Rembert in the 4th, James in the 7th and Lippett in the 8th. That's drafting!

Eason was talented but...? Fryar was crazy talented, but...crazy.

Still, we seemed on the track and I felt a title was just around the corner.

And it was. Sorry, but that playoff run might still be the most exciting I have ever experienced.

James Brown never had payback like that! The Jets, MIAMI!!!, the RAIDERS!! all in their house. Soooo sweet.

Then we recover a fumble, Dawson blows his knee out and Stanley can't catch a sure TD. The dream was over.

Soon, the cocaine thing and Eason slowly regressing into autism pulled the curtain on that edition.

End of Grogan, Flutie flakes and the incredibly inept Mark Wilson were part of the next dark age and I moved to Texas. Ownership hilarity didn't matter, Billy had hung on as long as he could and even built a generic stadium so the team finally had a home. He was cooked.

I remember we beat the oilers to shut my Texas neighbor up (friendly back and forth, what's great about sports). Of course I followed them, but drafts became more important.

So I'm reading the paper one day or listening to the radio or something and it says Bill Parcells signed to coach the Patriots.

If you're not old enough to remember that, you can't imagine how bizarre that news was at the time. I know I checked for misprints, or auditory hallucinations a few times. I can't make a current analogy, but it was like being told the Beatles had been signed to play your high school prom.

The greatest current coach and top gunslinger Bledsoe? Some of the greatest drafts in team history?

I knew success was right around the corner!

Yes it was and we came a return from doing it too. Then Daddy #2 took off on us, after the single most incompetent person I've known was selected to "buy the groceries" over Parcells (two sides to every story).

Poodle Pete didn't do that bad considering he had a rat goading the club house lawyers and a team that couldn't replace any players due to drafts a 3 year old with a dart could improve on.

I always liked Belichick, though he did seem to have trouble working with people. Despite bizarro press conference, the dumping of Grier and giving control of the operations to the obviously intelligent Belichick gave me hope.

I figured success was right around the corner!

I haven't followed them much since, how are they doing?:D

I've been to games at Fenway, BC(Alumni Field), Harvard Stadium, and Schaefer/Sullivan/Foxboro Stadium (missed only three games ever played there)and -of course- CMGI/Gillette.

I saw Gino kick a last second field goal to beat the Oilers on a Friday night in 1963.

I was at Alumni Field the day the stands caught fire.

I was there to hear Bob Gladieux being paged to report to the Patriots locker room and then looked on in amazement when he made the tackle on the opening kick-off.

I got home at 4:00 am after the absurd traffic jam following the Pats-Giants pre-season game which christened Schaefer Stadium. (Did Rocky Thompson return a kick for a TD that night?)

I went to Miami for the 52-0 shellacking in 1972 - Don Shula's 100th victory.

I was there for the Jumpin' Joe Gerlach half-time show. (Now there's a trivia question).

Returned to Miami for the AFC Championship victory (incredible high) and went on to New Orleans for the Bears (incredible low).

Back to New Orleans for Packers (ugh).

I was there for Bull Bramlett, Roland Moss, Halvor Hagen, Steve Kiner, "Smack
Heroin", Neil Graff, Vagas Ferguson, Hart Lee Dykes, Tom Ramsey, David Posey, "Superfoot".

As the Grateful Dead put it - what a long strange trip it's been.

So I count myself as incredibly fortunate to have witnessed the team of the decade. To be able to share this experience with my wife,sons and brother, and so many great friends is simply an indescribable blessing.

Wow, to summarize: that's real good sh*t u experienced Zeus! I was born in '70 so never had a chance to experience the vagabond home sites: my uncle said that the crowds at Fenway sometimes were more than a Sox game sometimes one year in the 60's! Was that ever true??

Italian Pat, I'm late.

When I was a kid and i found out we were going to have our own football team, I was so excited. I would check the paper every day for news and to check Larry Garron's stats. Other teams had names for their defensive lines and I thought ours should too, because we had a great four man line.

When we got Jim Nance I thought we'd really have the team, since we were already good.

I figured a title was just around the corner.

Then Nance got fat, Parilli retired and the Dark Ages came.

The Pats were always entertaining and never more so than when they hired Joe Namath's offensive coordinator, the most sought after assistant in the league. Get the star coach and weaken your opponent at the same time? How could you lose? Enough said about that!

I was never a quarterback savior type and when Plunkett imploded due to lack of support I wasn't surprised.

When they got Fairbanks, they started having some of the best drafts ever, on a par with Parcells and Belichick Pioli. I loved that they spent on the secondary, defense and the greatest Olineman ever.

I knew a title was right around the corner.

Bad breaks, bad calls and the betrayal/force out, whatever. I don't like to dwell on those things.

The coaching fell apart, even with all that talent. Dark days again.

Meyer was fun, telling John Hannah he needed to empty his bucketand hannah telling him what he could do with said bucket. Snowplows andgood times, always entertaining.

A weird mystic coach, a first round QB and a top receiver the next year. check put the 1983 draft Rembert in the 4th, James in the 7th and Lippett in the 8th. That's drafting!

Eason was talented but...? Fryar was crazy talented, but...crazy.

Still, we seemed on the track and I felt a title was just around the corner.

And it was. Sorry, but that playoff run might still be the most exciting I have ever experienced.

James Brown never had payback like that! The Jets, MIAMI!!!, the RAIDERS!! all in their house. Soooo sweet.

Then we recover a fumble, Dawson blows his knee out and Stanley can't catch a sure TD. The dream was over.

Soon, the cocaine thing and Eason slowly regressing into autism pulled the curtain on that edition.

End of Grogan, Flutie flakes and the incredibly inept Mark Wilson were part of the next dark age and I moved to Texas. Ownership hilarity didn't matter, Billy had hung on as long as he could and even built a generic stadium so the team finally had a home. He was cooked.

I remember we beat the oilers to shut my Texas neighbor up (friendly back and forth, what's great about sports). Of course I followed them, but drafts became more important.

So I'm reading the paper one day or listening to the radio or something and it says Bill Parcells signed to coach the Patriots.

If you're not old enough to remember that, you can't imagine how bizarre that news was at the time. I know I checked for misprints, or auditory hallucinations a few times. I can't make a current analogy, but it was like being told the Beatles had been signed to play your high school prom.

The greatest current coach and top gunslinger Bledsoe? Some of the greatest drafts in team history?

I knew success was right around the corner!

Yes it was and we came a return from doing it too. Then Daddy #2 took off on us, after the single most incompetent person I've known was selected to "buy the groceries" over Parcells (two sides to every story).

Poodle Pete didn't do that bad considering he had a rat goading the club house lawyers and a team that couldn't replace any players due to drafts a 3 year old with a dart could improve on.

I always liked Belichick, though he did seem to have trouble working with people. Despite bizarro press conference, the dumping of Grier and giving control of the operations to the obviously intelligent Belichick gave me hope.

I figured success was right around the corner!

I haven't followed them much since, how are they doing?:D

ciao RayClay i was sure you would hv not missed it

I go back to the early sixties, following the Patsies. It used to really grind me, in the craw that to be Pat's fan required you to extraordinary lengths to follow the team. You had to pay hard money to go to a game which as a teen, I didn't have much. Or to diddle with the TV antenna to try to find a Springfield or Hartford station, not carrying the Giants game, that just might show the Patriots.

I detested being told by adults who called themselves football fans and never got off their duff. They just sat back and watched the miserable New Yawk Futball Giants lose, and lose, and lose some more, with Joe Don Loony and Tucker Fredrickson. You couldn't even see Johny Unitas or Bart Starr and the Packers, or Jim Brown if you wanted to do so. Every damn week, every Giants preseason game was broadcast. Every Giants home game was broadcast. Every Giants away game was broadcast. To this day i still detest the hoopla for Homer Jones, a terrible, under talented combination of TO and Plaxico Burris.

Meanwhile the Pats with bubble gum, bailing wire, and spirit were fighting to finish above .500 and get to their playoffs, while blacked out in Boston. The annual trek looking for a place to play was an adventure; Braves field, Fenway Park, Harvard Stadium, BC, and finally a cheap home Schaefer, but a home nonetheless.

I hated that schmuck phony sportswriter, Willie McDonut who wanted to get promoted to the Big Apple so he could bring the world the real inside stuff and turn the sports pages into Photo Play and Hollywood Reporter. He aspired to be Heda Hopper. Because he didn't know a damn thing about sports. He was always sniffing at the "no league" Patriots. And the rest of the baseball jerk-offs masquerading as sports writers who did the obligatory Pecksniffian dismissal of the Pats; whenever the Pats did well enough to bother to be noticed at all. I remember sports pages with much more coverage of the Giants and no notice and no coverage of the Patriots.

Can you imagine an entire sportswriter corps of Bill Shaugnessys? Yes, It REALLY was that bad.

Then I had to move. My career has taken me to various parts of the country. I still tried to follow the Patriots.

Do any of you remember the big 8-foot TV dish antennas and trying to find the TV feeds? I acquired one, never knowing if I could find the Pats game. I do. Perhaps you technological itinerants far from Boston, know of what I speak.

To a relocated Patriots fan, it was marvelous when the small dish came in. Then no matter where I lived and worked, it might be possible to find a Pats game. It was still difficult to find a game, but you checked national coverage, until the arrival of Direct TV Sunday ticket. Suddenly Nirvana!!

There were now predictable TV supplements to the occasional pilgrimages to NE to visit family, and maybe catch a Pats game while there.

When I was moving from NE in the early seventies, there was a sports fan who started a short sports talk radio show. This amateur and friends said all the things that I and many Patriots fans felt. He said he hated the Giants and their sports coverage in Boston. I myself HATED the Giants. Not because the Giants organization cared; they didn't. They didn't even notice us, which was even more infuriating. I remember that 1970 Giants came. I think I ground off ten years worth of tooth enamel, as the damn Giants won. Worse having to listen toi the damn local Giants fans.

We had proper hate for all New Yawk teams; the only proper attitude for a Boston born-and-bred sports fan. I hated the Yankees, the infuriating Knicks, the hopeless Rangers. Except there was a a bunch of stupid, fat-ass-ed, supercilious defenders of a New Yawk team in home territory. The traitorous clowns who sat on their ass for the Giants. Their attitude was what I really detested, on reflection.

For you youngsters, think of the one obnoxious Yankees fan that you all know; always quoting how much better the most recent Yankees hireling like A-Rod or Jeter is superior to a Sox equivalent. Imagine then, a countryside filled with such traitorous clowns. That's what we early Patriots fans faced.

Still I remember going to Miami to the belly of the beast, the dreaded Orange Bowl and watching the Pats actually win after some twenty losses in a row, in the Squish the Fish game! Maybe the corner was turning ; then the Bears humiliation.

Immediately followed by the Hedda Hoppers and the drug stories. Then there was the Fairbanks mellow drama. And the Parcel's, dispute over "selecting the groceries". Finally I was there at the Super dome in 2001. Even having to pay twice for SB tickets, as the first set were counterfeit!

Fulfillment!

As the record have continued to fall, the longest winning streak in NFL history, the longest regular season winning streak in NFL history, tyeing their own longest winning streak again, passing the old powers in Super Bowl appearances, it's glorious.

It is a GOOD time to be a Patriots fan.

I can relate with every post before me here. I was 13 when the Pats were born in 1960. My dad and I used to watch the Giants every Sunday. I vaguely remember the "best game ever", when Colts beat the Gints on that cold snowy day.

Anyway, as others have said, we traveled along in mediocrity for so many years. Babe, Gino, Colclough (sp?); Jim Nance, etc., etc. "Hambone" Hanna. Some good guys, but no overall thrust to really compete on the highest levels as a team.

But there were the Celtics in the 60s and 70s, and part of the 80s, and they proved that a Boston team *could* compete at the highest level IF THERE was a will to do so.

Never had such a will until Bob Kraft took over as owner. He's the difference, no question about it. He got Parcells, then Bledsoe; then BB (didn't like that, at first, after seeing what he did in Cleveland), but, HEY, what did I know!!! And Tom and everybody else. :D

What a great ride it's been. My hat's off to the Krafts, their organization, and to each one of the players who has gone along with the program to make the Patriots into a championship team. It really proves that football is far from an individualistic sport; it's the definition of a team sport, as each one can pick up the others in so many ways.

Dynasty?? Ask me in five years.

//

This is a great thread, IPP. Thanks for starting it, as reading through every post has started memories flooding back.

I started with the Pats at their inception as the Boston Patriots in 1960. As a kid, I remember listening to the games on radio and waking up early on Saturday mornings to read about the game in the paper, as their games were on Friday nights. I recall the 1963 playoff game against the Bills and listening to it on the radio when they won the chance to contend for the championship. I listened to the 1963 AFL Championship against San Diego until the last minute despite the fact that they were getting blown out and Keith Lincoln was running all over them from the beginning of the game. Hey, that was my team!

When I moved my family to VA from MA in the mid 80s, I remember listening to ESPN radio in my car for game updates, as my son played travel soccer and we'd be all over VA and MD for his games every Sunday afternoon from September to December. When DirecTV started offering NFL Ticket, I didn't hesitate, it was the only way for me to watch every game the Pats played.

I remember that during 2001 playoffs, part of me didn't want them to go to the SB again. I was afraid that they would become the Bills or the Vikings. I'm not ashamed to say that tears came to my eyes when the FG was made. I stood there in disbelief that it finally happened.
You called it, PNm. I had the same reaction with no shame. It's funny to describe the flood of emotions that night, as I was at a party where no one gave the Pats a scintilla of a chance against the Rams. Throughout the game, I had a feeling it was a special night.

It's funny how much has changed since the first SB win. Now my friends who are fans of other teams (mostly the 'Skins), defer to the Pats and readily acknowledge their accomplishments and use the word "dynasty" more than I. What a ride! The ride continues . . . .

As a younger fan (22 years old, probably started watching around the age of 10-11, superbowl XXXI vs. the packers), I cannot possibly appreciate the Patriots as much as many/all of you.

Just wanted to say this is an excellent thread that will hopefully make us younger fans truly appreciate what we have experienced over the past several years for years to come.

Dynasty?? Ask me in five years.
If they win this year, the Patriots are as much a dynasty as any football team ever, to me.

1. Browns 40s, 50s, very few teams in the league then, like 12 when the Browns became part of the NFL. Statistically so much easier then than now to win it all.

2. Packers, 60s, see 1, maybe a couple of teams added to the NFL by then.

3. Steelers, 70s, won four super bowls. The 2005 Steelers were too far away time-wise to connect. Fewer teams in the 70s than now, also.

4. 49ers, 80s, won four super bowls. The 1994 team you could connect. However, no salary cap then, 49ers paying two HOF QBs at the same time, at HOF salaries too.

5. Cowboys, 90s, won three super bowls. The Staubach teams were much too early to conect.

Just a matter of winning this little game. :)

As a younger fan (22 years old, probably started watching around the age of 10-11, superbowl XXXI vs. the packers), I cannot possibly appreciate the Patriots as much as many/all of you.

Just wanted to say this is an excellent thread that will hopefully make us younger fans truly appreciate what we have experienced over the past several years for years to come.

That is okay if you have 22 year old female friends and you bring them with you to hear our wisdom. And they are nekkid.

PFnV

I'm 58 and been a Patriots fan since thier start. I had serious doubts I'd ever see a Patriots championship. Or Red Sox either for that matter. Little did I know that all I had to do was wait for the next century.

This is our millennium d%#*!@t.

thanks

Honestly, it didn't matter. We had some great times at those games.

How about cheap seats, no over the top crowds, great tailgating, got to go to the SB (in 86), and minimum security so you could be a flat out fan. Darn, those were the good old days, win or lose.

Now it is too expensive (although I still have my seats), everyone sits like good boys and girls, corporate types without one sense of football, nobody but corporate gets to go to a SB with a season ticket, too many people, but yes we are winning. And that makes up for a lot.

So,,,,,,,,,,,,the good, bad and the ugly.

Me, I liked the old days just as much as the new days. Maybe more.

What a great thread!!!!!!!!!
I never,ever, EVER thought we would be what the Steelers were back then.

For years, my biggest Patriot thrill was listening to David Posey's FG to beat the Bills 26-24 to win the 1978 AFC East Division. I can still hear Gil Santos shouting. "Its good!!! David Posey!!!! And the Patriots are the AFC East Division Champions!!!!!!" I nearly smashed my head on my bedroom ceiling.

Back in those days the Patriots never sold out their home games so in 1976, 1978, 1982, and 1985 I LISTENED to the Patriots clinch playoff berths.

that tells you more than anything how its all changed.

One comment about the Green Bay Super Bowl. When Bledsoe hit Coates for the TD and the 14-10 lead, i thought i was looking at the makings of Aikman, smith, and Irvin in the persons of Bledsoe,Martin, and Glenn.

That it turned out that the dynasty centered on not Parcells, but his long time sidekick Belichick, and not on Bledsoe, but on the kid who replaced him, is so ironic its fantastic!!!!!!!!

I knew the moment Adams FG went through in New Orleans that my sports watching life was changed forever, but who would have though we would have been so blessed.

Thank you Patriots!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is a great thread, IPP. Thanks for starting it, as reading through every post has started memories flooding back.

thanks and very nice post from You

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes