PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

for the 'old' Pats Fans

Status
Not open for further replies.
What a great thread!!!!!!!!!

One comment about the Green Bay Super Bowl. When Bledsoe hit Coates for the TD and the 14-10 lead, i thought i was looking at the makings of Aikman, smith, and Irvin in the persons of Bledsoe,Martin, and Glenn.

I knew the moment Adams FG went through in New Orleans that my sports watching life was changed forever

thks a lot

when Bledose hit Coates i was thinking : WE WILL WIN IT !!! but then...

when Adam made it: yes !!! it really changed everything !

Let's give this one a bump for those who might have missed it. Then if it falls off the front page, we can sticky it and let it stay there.

If they win this year, the Patriots are as much a dynasty as any football team ever, to me.

1. Browns 40s, 50s, very few teams in the league then, like 12 when the Browns became part of the NFL. Statistically so much easier then than now to win it all.

2. Packers, 60s, see 1, maybe a couple of teams added to the NFL by then.

3. Steelers, 70s, won four super bowls. The 2005 Steelers were too far away time-wise to connect. Fewer teams in the 70s than now, also.

4. 49ers, 80s, won four super bowls. The 1994 team you could connect. However, no salary cap then, 49ers paying two HOF QBs at the same time, at HOF salaries too.

5. Cowboys, 90s, won three super bowls. The Staubach teams were much too early to conect.

Just a matter of winning this little game. :)

As far as football is concerned, NFL style, you are right. The Pats *would* officially qualify as a football "dynasty" IF they win this next one, imo. Four SB victories within seven years is an NFL dynasty.

I was thinking of "dynasty" more in terms of the Celts, the only other pro sports success story from the Boston area I can remember. Their success spanned three decades, and they seem to have revived some of that now!!

[size=+3] Win the next one, Patriots, and you are officially a dynasty!!

Go Pats! Remember Marquise !!! [/size]

//

Last edited:
Pats are already a dynasty.

I remember a bittersweet feeling after 2001...
happy,but certain it would be years
before getting there again.
These are legendary days,
historic times.

We really are not likely to see anything like this again.
And it is likely to continue for many more years.

As a younger fan (22 years old, probably started watching around the age of 10-11, superbowl XXXI vs. the packers), I cannot possibly appreciate the Patriots as much as many/all of you.

Just wanted to say this is an excellent thread that will hopefully make us younger fans truly appreciate what we have experienced over the past several years for years to come.

LL, in my opinion this thread is for your generation to absorb. You guys have been spoiled with this team and I am happy to see you appreciate the comments from the older folks. It's been a long bumpy ride, but not only have we turned the corner, we're in the elite now.

In addition, I second PFv....bring those 22 year old female friends over!! :D

LL, in my opinion this thread is for your generation to absorb. You guys have been spoiled with this team and I am happy to see you appreciate the comments from the older folks. It's been a long bumpy ride, but not only have we turned the corner, we're in the elite now.

In addition, I second PFv....bring those 22 year old female friends over!! :D

You wouldnt mind if they were 20* would you? Just steer clear of my girlfriend and we're all good. :rocker:

*My high school teacher/mentor left me with this valuable lesson when it comes to women: "Go Younger"

Just wanted to say this is an excellent thread that will hopefully make us younger fans truly appreciate what we have experienced over the past several years for years to come.

so this thread is valid for 'old' and 'young' fans

Been a fan since around '65' and suffered through so many years along with the team. Just trying to see a game on TV was next to impossible for so long and when there was one on they more often than not got their collective 'asses' handed to them.

The SB loss to the Bears was the worst followed by the loss to the Raiders back in '76'...that loss tore apart a budding 'Dynasty'.

This team has seen the worst and the best. It's truly remarkable that they are now 'the' model franchise for all other teams and not just football teams either.

Thank you Mr Kraft!

Back in those days the Patriots never sold out their home games so in 1976, 1978, 1982, and 1985 I LISTENED to the Patriots clinch playoff berths.
Man, I didn't realize the blackout rule goes back so far. I looked it up because I doubted it was older than the mid 80s or so. It started in 1973. I've been in NorCal for so long, that the blackout rule has become a Raiders thing to me. Not that I like them at all, but if they do get blacked out, I may get to see an "extra" Patriots game that Sunday. :D

Been a fan since around '65' and suffered through so many years along with the team. Just trying to see a game on TV was next to impossible for so long and when there was one on they more often than not got their collective 'asses' handed to them.
I know what you mean. I remember a game in the 70s that was televised nationally (I was/am in NorCal)...Pats - Jets, the Pats built up a huge first half lead and I was enjoying the hell out of it. Grogan, Andy Johnson, Sam Cunningham, Harold Jackson, Stanley Morgan, Russ Francis, all those guys were lighting it up. Then, CBS or whoever switched to another game! Either late first half or early second. Man, was I pissed. This must be it: Pats 55, Jets 21, October 29, 1978, at Foxboro. But then, as happened so much in the old days, the joy and thrills in the first two thirds or so of that season turned to misery as Chuck Fairbanks announced he was leaving and the team proceeded to fall apart. We just couldn't get through an entire season back then without some huge letdown. That was essentially the same team that played in the "Ben Dreith game". And, of course, Darryl Stingley.

We won't get Stingley back, may he rest in peace.

Nowadays, we "finish" seasons (kinda hate that word the way it's overused in 2007 football lingo, but it applies here).

Go Pats, one more!

Me the long suffering Celtics fan is not trying to look ahead to June, 2008.

:)

Just kidding. I think this is truly a remarkable football era the Patriots are going through. If they can win this next game they play, this will be on a par with the Celtics winning 8 straight championships.

so this thread is valid for 'old' and 'young' fans

This thread was a wonderful idea...great to come back to read it once in awhile.

Back in the day there were very few women at the games. There was no waiting in the ladies room and at times you could hear yourself echo in there.

It was great to read in the Herald today that 43% of Patriots fans are women. Not sure how they came up with the number but there are enormous lines out the ladies room reminding me of a rock concert. If the number is not completely accurate, it is pretty close.

This thread was a wonderful idea...great to come back to read it once in awhile.

Back in the day there were very few women at the games. There was no waiting in the ladies room and at times you could hear yourself echo in there.

It was great to read in the Herald today that 43% of Patriots fans are women. Not sure how they came up with the number but there are enormous lines out the ladies room reminding me of a rock concert. If the number is not completely accurate, it is pretty close.

Chicks are drawn to Tom Brady. Or as a guy on a thread the other day said, his wife refers to Brady as "Hubba Hubba Ding Ding".

one question: do you ever thought possible when you followed the franchise in the '60, '70 and '80 that we would have playied now to win the 4th Super Bowl ?

Thanks 'old man'! It definitely dates me but what we are witnessing today began in the 60's with Boston/New England Patriot teams and some of the greatest players to build the AFC and then the NFL My favorite player was Houston Antwine as "Twine" was a DE - same as me on my high school team. I could not make it to the games (money) and could watch it on a TV (money and no over the air channel) but caught everything I could in print. Later, I was one of the first to go to the new Shaefer stadium and later take my kids and wife as well. I have been "Raider Dusted" during games and in more than one beer fight (with cans - before they served Shaefer in cups!), but always defended our Patriot teams.

Now is our time, it will pass. Enjoy and keep notes and videos that you can refer to later. Real 'old' Pats fans remember what comes next......;)

Maybe slightly off-topic but:

I just saw a retrospective on NE's 2001 Super Bowl run. They interviewed Brady about Bledsoe... and I am still in awe of how Bledsoe handled himself throughout that season. If Bledsoe gets a chip on his shoulder in 01, I don't think we win that Super Bowl.

So, and old Pat's fan's "hats off" to Drew. He's one guy that did not turn on us on the way out. I'm glad he had some good years left with Buffalo then Dallas, but he pretty much put it all out there for NE, lost a 10-year deal when he got cut, missed his big chance to play in the Super Bowl again, and never *****ed or moaned about it, at least not to my memory. Not to mention beating the Stillers for us in the AFCCG that year.

Okay, sermon over.

PFnV

As a fan in the late 70's, early 80's I remember many games where the team played just well enough to lose. Something would go wrong. Playoffs just missed, out after first round or not even close. The SBs wins have been great and the development of the team as an arguable "dynasty". But this one would change everything.. I dont think the accomplishment of 19-0(if it happens) will be fully recognized for its greatness until years down the road. I do feel that should this season be completed perfect, with the accompanying records of points, TDs etc, that I would have nothing more to desire. I would be complete as a fan. I could ask for nothing more. This is the team, the offense that realizes the potential that has been working its way into manifestation since the first SB win. I so hope it comes to fruition.

Chicks are drawn to Tom Brady. Or as a guy on a thread the other day said, his wife refers to Brady as "Hubba Hubba Ding Ding".

Are you telling me it is not the game of football that attracts them?

thks; i really enjoy the comments, feelings, emotions i read from many fans

nice !

I grew up in Massachusetts knowing I would never ever see the Patriots win a SuperBowl. I figured the "game" against the Bears would be our one and only shot. Younger Pats fans today sure are lucky.

I grew up in Massachusetts knowing I would never ever see the Patriots win a SuperBowl. I figured the "game" against the Bears would be our one and only shot. Younger Pats fans today sure are lucky.

They tore down the goalposts after the Patriots beat Cincinatti to get into the playoffs last game of the regular season.

That's how rare success was then.

And honestly, as great as all the Super Bowls, and the Perfect Season and everything else...
Nothing will ever top 2001. Never.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey