PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Florio: Early Season Ratings Decline Continues for NFL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thursday Night Football clearly isn't going to help ratings, LOL!

TEN 27, JAX 0 at the half and it's not even that close. If the NFL didn't have the BS rule that a successful replay ruling still takes 10 seconds off the clock TEN would be up 31-0.

The latest from Lord Goodell:

Goodell on ratings: “We don’t dismiss any theory”
Asked by Gary Myers on WFAN’s Chalk Talk if the league has reached any conclusions regarding the reduction in ratings, Commissioner Roger Goodell said, “No, and I don’t think anybody can do that.”

Goodell added, after Myers rattled off various possible explanations for the decline (election year, quality of games, fans fed up with off-field misconduct, too many penalties, and the national anthem protests), “We don’t dismiss any theory, if you want to call it that.”

The NFL's solution to over-saturation and game quality that are contributing to the ratings decline:

NFLPA bracing for eventual push for 18 games
The NFLPA expects the league to make a renewed push for 18 regular-season games, PFT learned earlier this month. Once a fairly regular talking point from Commissioner Roger Goodell, who had developed a habit of publicly trashing the quality of preseason play in an effort to nudge the 20-game format from 16-and-4 to 18-and-2, Goodell hasn’t mentioned the subject in a while. He last addressed the subject in May 2013, telling reporters that “all options are on the table,” including the addition of regular-season games and the expansion of the playoffs.

Neither has occurred in large part because the players don’t want more football. The ongoing TV ratings slide suggests fans don’t want more football, either. But some believe that the drop in ratings will actually make the NFL more intent on growing the inventory of games.

Exactly. No one is out there saying "You mean I can see a Jacksonville-Houston or Tampa Bay-Tennessee game I couldn't see in the past? Sign me up!"

Exactly. No one is out there saying "You mean I can see a Jacksonville-Houston or Tampa Bay-Tennessee game I couldn't see in the past? Sign me up!"

And that is why the Omissioner is going after the Pats.

If he can destroy the Pats then people won't know what excellent football looks like.

Then fans will watch his crappy games not knowing how much they suck.

Great plan Roger!

Anyone seen the actual numbers for that horrible Thursday night game?

Goodell on Deflategate: We dismiss every theory.

Or: We dismiss the consensus explanation from physics professors from our nation's best universities.

Monday Night Football down again

If the NFL’s TV ratings were a baseball player, he’d be batting ninth. In a National League lineup. (I know a little bit more about baseball than you think.)

The game between the Bears and Vikings generated the lowest overnight rating for a Week Eight Monday night contest since ESPN acquired the package in 2006. Prior to that, ABC televised Monday Night Football to much larger numbers.

I hope these billionaire owners are suffering like we did during their witch hunt...it would be great if this is just the beginning of the bleeding.

Sadly the greedy owners are not suffering...yet.
Who IS suffering is ESPN, etc. who sell advertising priced according to expected ratings.
Who (what media orgs) will be around to bid up (Heh!) the next set of TV contracts?
THEN the billionaire owners will start taking it in the shorts.

NFL Ratings Decline In All But One of Last 26 Primetime Games - Breitbart

Well, well......

"
Based on the 27-0 score, most people believed that the late September Thursday Night Football game between the Patriots and the Texans accomplished nothing more than Bill Belichick once again proving his brilliance, as he annihilated a then 2-0 football team with his third string quarterback.

Unbeknownst to all until now, that early season matchup accomplished perhaps an even more impressive feat by becoming the only primetime NFL game this year that did not decline in ratings from last year."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back