PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Florio: Early Season Ratings Decline Continues for NFL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Update:

Halfway through the season, I have watched the Patriots. My viewing time for other NFL games is as follows: 00:00.

My wife can't believe that I am following through on my vow to boycott the rest of the league due to Defamegate; most of my friends thought I would get over it and cave, but I'm not going to. I hope others will follow. Every day that goes by it becomes more apparent that Roger Goodell is among the scummiest human beings on the planet and the owners have created him in their own image.

Why punish yourself over the actions of a commissioner that sucks?

I probably watch more games than anybody and there is no way I'd let a buffoon (along with the owners that pull his strings) take that enjoyment away.

I probably watch more games than anybody and there is no way I'd let a buffoon (along with the owners that pull his strings) take that enjoyment away.

Maybe people no longer consider it a punishment to miss a bunch of boring games, constant flags, and endless commercials. I know I sure don't. It's not like I sit and do nothing instead. I went out and found something that I love to do.

its the opposite. its punishment to watch games other than the pats.

Goodell is killing the game.

We're all pissed about framing Brady, the discipline issue of players, his arrogance.

In addition, the flow of football games are gone. commercials after kickoffs, commercials after a timeout with less than 2 minutes to go, replay's taking an hour. It's brutal

opinion not fact. you are guessing just like i am. it was the game that drove up the ratings imo. i don't care when that game was played. the ratings would go up.

Cowboys at Steelers was a huge draw as well and it was a great game.

Cowboys at Steelers was a huge draw as well and it was a great game.

Agreed. Watched it at the gym and finished it after I got home. Outstanding game. NFL @ its best.
That said I've only seen brief portions (gym) of other non-Pats games this year.
No non-Pats SNF or MNF.
Forgot again that there even was a Thursday night game.

(ian - if fnord says hateful things implying I'm a geezer who forgets everything - Ban him!)

Agreed. Watched it at the gym and finished it after I got home. Outstanding game. NFL @ its best.
That said I've only seen brief portions (gym) of other non-Pats games this year.
No non-Pats SNF or MNF.
Forgot again that there even was a Thursday night game.

(ian - if fnord says hateful things implying I'm a geezer who forgets everything - Ban him!)

I've actually done that myself intentionally.

Time my workouts so that I can peek in at the scores on the TV at the gym, while not turning on the games at my house.

I don't enjoy it anymore unless I am with friends. I have pretty much just watched the Patriots, unless I have friends over for a game. In NC they don't always show Patriots games, and I frankly don't like watching with my friends because none of them are Pats fans (one is a NY fan (Jets or Giants he doesn't care) and the other is a Broncos fan--so pretty much I couldn't have worse friends when it comes to football compatibility :) My other friend is a Saints fan, and we get along pretty well, but he's a Pats hater so **** him :) I wish I lived in New England ).

stop it lmao. what isn't factual is why you think the ratings went up. that's just your opinion.

Well lets break down statement by statement in the post

The same thing happened in 2012 for one. This is a fact
Also, you are aware that the games during the day really haven't dropped off that much? Another fact
Denver and Oakland played a week and a half ago on sunday night and the ratings were horrible. Another fact
That was a good game with 2 good fan bases. Fact.
As soon as the election ends, the ratings for the sunday night game went way up, while news ratings went way down. fact.

Can you please show me what isnt factual here. This is all evidence that the election was a huge part of the ratings decline

I have watched as many football games as possible, since the Colts beat the Cowboys in the superbowl on a field goal in the early 70's. I am also a 30+ year season ticket holder & I coach youth football.

I guess, I should be considered a hard core football fan.

That being said, for the first time in my life, I have turned off games, & skipped 1pm games "when the Pat's are playing a 4pm or night game.

I believe that having to watch the same "big market" mediocre teams over & over has not helped.

Seems like every weekend, we get the Bears, Packers, or Jets. It doesn't matter how bad the Bears are, they still get as many prime time games as anyone year after year.

They need to flex more games & give the fans the games they want to see.

I do not want to see the Bears or Packers again this year.
Heh... about tonight... And next Monday Night... :oops:

I personally have a drop hate for the Packers, so I'll be watching. :rolleyes:

Yes the commercials suck but I don't think that all that's going on. I think there's a bigger issue at work here that has to do with trust. The league and its greedy ownership have too many levers behind the curtain to influence who wins and loses week to week. Arbitrary suspensions, and team punishments that have more to do with the amount of influence the owner has than the actual violation . See Ezekiel Elliott and Josh Brown.

Then you have double secret points of emphasis delivered directly from Park avenue to the officials in a sealed envelope defore each game and they manifests themselves on the field as spectacularly inconsistent calls from week to week.

It all adds up to to fans feelling like they're watching something that's closer to pro wrestling than football. It's a joke.

Last edited:

Also, you are aware that the games during the day really haven't dropped off that much? Another fact
Denver and Oakland played a week and a half ago on sunday night and the ratings were horrible. Another fact
As soon as the election ends, the ratings for the sunday night game went way up, while news ratings went way down. fact.

Can you please show me what isnt factual here. This is all evidence that the election was a huge part of the ratings decline
what isn't fact is. you have no idea why the ratings went up. you said the ratings went up because the election is over. thats not a fact that's your opinion. the ratings went up yes. that's a fact. the reason behind the bump isn't a fact its opinion. you could be right. i could be right. it could be a combination of things. the fact that you are going on and on claiming to know why and calling your opinion fact is strange. did you take a poll of all nfl fans and ask them why they tuned in or why they didn't? no. give it up you sound foolish.

what isn't fact is. you have no idea why the ratings went up. you said the ratings went up because the election is over. thats not a fact that's your opinion. the ratings went up yes. that's a fact. the reason behind the bump isn't a fact its opinion. you could be right. i could be right. it could be a combination of things. the fact that you are going on and on claiming to know why and calling your opinion fact is strange. did you take a poll of all nfl fans and ask them why they tuned in or why they didn't? no. give it up you sound foolish.

No where in that post did I say the ratings went up because of the election being over (though I believe it) All I did was state facts that support my opinion

No where in that post did I say the ratings went up because of the election being over (though I believe it) All I did was state facts that support my opinion
********. the entire stupid conversation was you claiming as fact that the ratings went up because the election was over. i said imo the ratings went up because of the two teams who were playing. then you asked if i could prove it lmao. then i asked you to prove it. you couldn't but tried to anyway. so we agree that you can't prove why the ratings went up.

Last edited:
Many underestimate how much Hogan already means to this offense.

the same thing happened in 2012? and you know why how? you don't. its opinion not fact wrong again. den and oak played a month ago and the ratings were low? again how do you know why the ratings were low? are you some kind of mind reader? they could have been low for many reasons. your assumption is opinion not fact. you are wrong again. you say games during the day haven't dropped off much. to that i say so what. that may or may not have anything to do with the election. so your assumption is your opinion. and news ratings always go down after a election. there is no data to say football has anything to do with the election. wrong again. the above post is based entirely on your opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes