PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Florio: A 1st and 4th for Garoppolo? Not so fast...

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldrover

"You're gonna have to serve somebody..."
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Mike Florio warns of roadblocks if Patriots are expecting big haul for Jimmy Garoppolo

“If that’s the opener then they move downward from there,” he said. “Here’s the thing that needs to be considered: In the offseason there will be plenty of quarterbacks with starting experience who are available or could be available. Not just Garoppolo in trade. Jay Cutler is by all appearances out in Chicago. Tony Romo will be available. Colin Kaepernick is going to be a free agent. Sam Bradford may be on the outs in Minnesota if they feel good about where Teddy Bridgewater is in his rehab. But I counted like 20 guys who may be out there. And the more options you have a team if you’re looking for a quarterback, the more leverage you have with the Patriots. You can say, ‘I’m not giving you want you want. I’m going to go out and sign a guy without giving up anything.’

Whole interview in the link. Florio's mostly right... it is supply and demand. But really what Bill needs is two interested parties... two to tango.

36a9ff515e9faf58efa1c365e52f589a.gif

Edit: Or MAYBE one... if that one is a little...

stiff-legs.gif

...off. :)

Last edited:
Cutler? Seriously. Kaepernick? For real.

If healthy, Tony Romo could give you a year, but Garoppolo could give you 10+ years. Not all supply is equal. A bad team signing a bad free agent QB... becomes worse.

I still think that Cleveland does a deal with us, or wherever Josh McDaniels goes does a deal with us and that could be Chicago. Would be fitting for McDaniels to ditch Cutler twice.

Mike Florio warns of roadblocks if Patriots are expecting big haul for Jimmy Garoppolo

Whole interview in the link. Florio's mostly right... it is supply and demand. But really what Bill needs is two interested parties... two...

36a9ff515e9faf58efa1c365e52f589a.gif

... to tango. :)

I disgagree with Florio for 2 reasons:

1. The college draft class for QBs is notoriously bad this year. None of the top rated QBs coming into this draft are projected to be franchise-saving players along the lines of Andrew Luck.... not for a while at least

2. Aside from an absurdly expensive option in Kirk Cousins and an injury-prone Tony Romo (who will be 37 by next season) there isn’t going to be that much talent out on the free agent/trade market as far as proven quarterbacks go, that can be foundation pieces

Despite what Florio says, this is a favorable market for the Pats to make that kinda trade

Last edited:
What if I told you there was a hand shake deal for the Browns to get Garoppolo and hence the lopsided Collins trade? This is an unadulterated supposition .

Thing is: team that have a chance to win now or in the next couple of year already have a QB, with the sole exception bein Denver. It's bad decision to get a declining player to lead a team that isnt good enough to win.

Garoppollo could give a team a foundation to build from.

Lastly: Kap sucks so much. If your team signs him hoping to get a starter, my sincere apologies

Don't think any of us really expect a 1st and a 4th. I'd be quite happy with a 1st or even the Brown's 2nd round pick, which is essentially another 1st rounder. We'll see how it pans out.
I'd keep JG before trading him for a high #2. The next 14 months could chance a lot, no need to trade him unless we get a great offer. #33 and the Browns' #2 next year ? I'd probably do that.

Florio is obviously drunk.....classic day-drinker hot take. When he typed the name "Cutler"... I guarantee he pissed himself.
Happy New Years

Fortunately, BB's game IMHO is on a slightly higher level than the competition...

Side note; I was teaching my daughters chess this past week and made mention of the old adage "playing chess while others are playing checkers" so we put it to the test; chess pieces/rules vs checkers pieces/rules. It was a damned massacre, especially once the queen got out. So yeah, myth confirmed.

Any team that prefers one of those JAGs to giving up a first & forth rounder for JG deserves to continue to wallow in mediocrity. Half of the players taken in the first round end up being JAGs or worse & the odds of finding a starting caliber player in the fourth round are roughly 20%.

IMHO, the Pats would be foolish to trade JG when Brady is about to turn 40 anyway. Every other QB who has ever played in the NFL lost it very quickly right around Brady's age. JG gives the Pats another 10 year championship window. Trading JG limits that window to another year or two.

The Pats have plenty of cap space & should just use it to ensure they are strong at the only position that really matters in the NFL. As long as Belichick has an above average QB, the Pats will contend to win every year. JG more than meets that criteria.

The thing is, it's not just Jimmy you're trading for, but also the experience he got from New England. You're getting a young, talented QB who has shown the maturity to lead the PATRIOTS for a couple games - he can surely lead your franchise and be the key piece to build around.

Guys like Cutler and Kaepernick are not those kinds of leaders and aren't even GOOD... Romo is getting old and pretty injury prone. And I don't think Bradford is going to be available.

And the draft class is piss poor.

So where exactly is the "supply" that Florio speaks of? Because I can't find a single other QB quite like Jimmy on the market.

Holy **** I think it was Kontradiction who brought it up first but the Josh and Jimmy combo to Jacksonville would represent a huge upgrade for that team. They've got all the tools it's just Bortles' ceiling is like, Blaine Gabbert+

Honestly, if I'm Josh I'm telling a team without a good QB that they're either trading for Jimmy or I'm not interested in the job. To be able to take a QB with you who you know has to be a yuuuuuge benefit to a coach like Josh who isn't going to be at the mercy of training/working with whatever stiff the previous GM put under center.

Seems to a be league-wide/media-wide over-valuing of draft picks every year.

I guess its the fact that fans love them, therefore teams don't want to give them up.

Garoppolo spent multiple years in the best QB finishing school (bar none) and has flashed elite ability when he did get to take the field this year - and not just in a pre-season game either.

We keep hearing how essential it is that teams have a good QB - and we are staring into one of the worst QB drafts in years. Couple this with the general standard of QB play across the league being as bad as its ever been and you have what should be a super strong seller's market.

When it gets mentioned that Cleveland might give up one of their 1st round picks - it is almost immediately derided - 'no way' say the realists.

But who else are you going to get with that pick that will change the direction of the franchise?

Poor franchises are poor (and pick high) because of their inability to evaluate talent - the earlier you are in the player's career the more you need to project (and the more errors these guys will make) - why not get a genuine blue chip prospect.

GP is way more likely to make a franchise QB that ANY QB (bar Prescott) taken in last years draft or this - i'm not sure who would actually debate that?!

Plenty of teams SHOULD be queuing up for GP - I think the value will be higher than a 1st and a 4th if i'm honest.

Any team that prefers one of those JAGs to giving up a first & forth rounder for JG deserves to continue to wallow in mediocrity. Half of the players taken in the first round end up being JAGs or worse & the odds of finding a starting caliber player in the fourth round are roughly 20%.

IMHO, the Pats would be foolish to trade JG when Brady is about to turn 40 anyway. Every other QB who has ever played in the NFL lost it very quickly right around Brady's age. JG gives the Pats another 10 year championship window. Trading JG limits that window to another year or two.

The Pats have plenty of cap space & should just use it to ensure they are strong at the only position that really matters in the NFL. As long as Belichick has an above average QB, the Pats will contend to win every year. JG more than meets that criteria.

Exactly we need to keep JG somehow, long term wise it makes the most sense, BB is never the one to think short term so who knows

The thing is, it's not just Jimmy you're trading for, but also the experience he got from New England. You're getting a young, talented QB who has shown the maturity to lead the PATRIOTS for a couple games - he can surely lead your franchise and be the key piece to build around.

Guys like Cutler and Kaepernick are not those kinds of leaders and aren't even GOOD... Romo is getting old and pretty injury prone. And I don't think Bradford is going to be available.

And the draft class is piss poor.

So where exactly is the "supply" that Florio speaks of? Because I can't find a single other QB quite like Jimmy on the market.

as soon as he goes to chicago or cleveland, it'll be so bad he'll forget everything he learned in NE.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back