PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Final thoughts before moving on to the Jags

Status
Not open for further replies.
1) We don't "get about 15m in cap space" due to the dead money hits being over and done with. It simply means that 2015's issues remain in 2015, and won't carry into next year. In other words, the current dead cap hits are quite a hinderance for this season. That doesn't mean, however, that it frees up money for 2016. There's no additional funds or credits coming back. As usual, there will be some other dead cap hits right there to take their place, just not to the same degree.

I'm not disagreeing with the idea of having more options when compared to this current season, but your wording is tricky and some may take it in a literal way in terms of "getting about 15m in cap space" credit.

2) Whether the team is considered young or not shouldn't have any effect on Bill Belichick and his individual talent assessment or cap management. It's very unlikely that he would continue to pay either Mayo or Amendola in their current roles, so they'll have to take a pay cut or move on. We see this every single year. No one in the front office was concerned with the ages of Revis, Browner, Arrington, or Dennard--who were all experienced.

All I meant was that this years CAP is encumbered with $14 million in Dead money. Next year the CAP won't be so encumbered, so the Pats will have that equivalent amount of money to spend elsewhere.

All I meant was that this years CAP is encumbered with $14 million in Dead money. Next year the CAP won't be so encumbered, so the Pats will have that equivalent amount of money to spend elsewhere.

Yeah, I know, I'm not meaning to nitpick your thoughts. I'm just pointing out that we'll have other dead cap hits that we're not aware of yet, although it would be impossible to disagree with the thought that we'll have additional resources and will almost certainly be in better shape than 2015.

Hopefully, they utilize this opportunity to retain one/more of the trio of: Chandler Jones, Collins, and Hightower. As you noted, the free agency situation is very good compared to most years.

There has been talk about letting Amendola go along with Mayo next year. I don't think that happens. I doubt Mayo takes a pay cut large enough to keep him but Amendola did it this year when he didn't really have to. I think he will do it next year too. I think he likes being here and realizes there is not some big deal waiting for him out there. Here he can be a winner and get 2-3M a year. He gets to play a role on the team but is not asked to carry anything. I think Brady likes and trust him and I think he like this kind of offense.

I honestly think he takes a pay cut for next year to and uses his contract a leverage to stay so to speak. I don't think any of us would object to Amendola getting paid next year what he is this year. He is great Edelman insurance and if healthy is a good option.

Blount failed the conditioning test on the first try and was placed on the NFI list. He passed it on the 2nd try. He suffered an mcl sprain during training camp and wasn't able to practice (8 days but not sure). He was a bit rusty and not in game shape for the 1st preseason game and looked a bit slow. The 2nd preseason game, I thought he looked faster and a lot better but still not back to 100%. Overall Blount had a disappointing preseason. Because Belichick kept Blount and got rid of Gray lends me to believe that it's not a huge area of concern but it does bear watching. Blount was suspended for game 1 of the regular season and the game plan for game 2 featured the passing game. At this point I have no clue what Belichick has in mind for a running game. Hopefully we get to see Blount and the power run game sometime soon. I'm not a big fan of passing it on 4th and 1.

If they release DA from the team and he does not go anywhere else (refuse to sign anywhere) does that void his contract? Then the Pats can start fresh with him...although they have to take the dead cap hit.

There has been talk about letting Amendola go along with Mayo next year. I don't think that happens. I doubt Mayo takes a pay cut large enough to keep him but Amendola did it this year when he didn't really have to. I think he will do it next year too. I think he likes being here and realizes there is not some big deal waiting for him out there. Here he can be a winner and get 2-3M a year. He gets to play a role on the team but is not asked to carry anything. I think Brady likes and trust him and I think he like this kind of offense.

I honestly think he takes a pay cut for next year to and uses his contract a leverage to stay so to speak. I don't think any of us would object to Amendola getting paid next year what he is this year. He is great Edelman insurance and if healthy is a good option.

Who's been having this talk about letting Danny and Jerod let go? Is Bill aware of these talks?

If they release DA from the team and he does not go anywhere else (refuse to sign anywhere) does that void his contract? Then the Pats can start fresh with him...although they have to take the dead cap hit.

If Danny dies, do we still take a dead cap hit?

Why would they do that? He's playing at a reasonable number.

Why would they do that? He's playing at a reasonable number.

Sure, this year. My question is what about next year with the cap hit. How do they get out of a 7 million cap hit in 2016 and an 8 million cap hit in 2017/ As much as we all love the guy, that aint happening.

Dead cap hits for those years are about 2.7 mil an 1.4 mil. So I assume if they want him around that they release him, he refuses to sign anywhere else since he is a vested vet, and the pats just start over with him eating the dead cap money?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST