PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Felger on the Trade; Passing Camp and No Branch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pats726

Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal
Reaction score
Just wondering if this is a bad sign OR something else...I KNOW it was just mentioned..but is it odd that Branch is NOT there?? I think we will find out more next week...when mandatory camp will I am sure send a few UDFAs away...

It was hinted to a few weeks ago so it isn't a surprise. Is it a bad thing ? Sure. It's not the end of the world, though, as Deion, like Seymour, can step right in when he wants to. Hell, if Dillon makes it (and that is a good sign, btw), then Deion should.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sure it's a bad sign, just like the rumor on Daniel Graham being allowed to

walk. My greatest fear is that the Patriots will become Patriot University.

What I mean by this is that they will draft players, keep them for four

years, and then lose most of them to free agency.

Up to now, the Patriots have been able to hold on to most of their

key players and supplement them with draft choices. I do not believe

many of our players will accept home town discounts like Tom Brady,

Matt Light, and Tedy Bruschi.

Jimke said:

Well, your great fear is Standard Operating Procedure for Team Belichick. That's what he uses the draft for...to get a productive player (relatively) cheap. Then they can get big dollar contracts elsewhere. There are exceptions in the two cases where they have the best player in the NFL at a key position. I think there's only been one instance (Colvin) where we paid big dollars to a free agent.

Everybody else has to fit into the salary structure Bill and Scott believe in. The next player who might get "premium pay" will probably be Wilfork if he develops into a top NT in the league.

The draft and tier two free agents provide a stream of reasonably-priced labor to replace the reasonably-priced labor that disappears due to becoming unreasonably-priced.

I don't expect Branch to be here next year. Or Samuel. Or Koppen.

Jimke said:

It may depend...many have many may not...not sure..and is it just about money?? Maybe not..I think this year there was a LOT MORE on the table..for other teams..who knows if this will be the case next year..I agree..I don't wish to see that happen, but on the other hand, I don't wish to see this team get bogged down in large contracts that may not be the best. I think SP/BB know what is needed.

dryheat44 said:
I don't expect Branch to be here next year. Or Samuel. Or Koppen.
So you expect all 4 to be gone?? I think that is a bit pessimistic...worst case...I think possibly 1 or 2 may stay..but is that optimistic??

Pats726 said:
So you expect all 4 to be gone?? I think that is a bit pessimistic...worst case...I think possibly 1 or 2 may stay..but is that optimistic??

If they get to FA, yes I expect them to all be gone. Maybe Samuel wouldn't see much money on the open market and would stay, but the other three certainly.

I think they will be offered extensions before then at modest salaries. but I don't know that they'd be inclined to forego FA. I would put the priority at 1) Graham, 2) Branch, 3) Samuel, 4) Koppen

In the end, I think Graham stays and the other three go.

Last edited:
you are kidding right? ;)

dryheat44 said:
If they get to FA, yes I expect them to all be gone. Maybe Samuel wouldn't see much money on the open market and would stay, but the other three certainly.

I think they will be offered extensions before then at modest salaries. but I don't know that they'd be inclined to forego FA. I would put the priority at 1) Graham, 2) Branch, 3) Samuel, 4) Koppen

In the end, I think Graham stays and the other three go.

The priority here has to be Branch IMHO......Graham has proven to be a great blocker and an inconsistent receiver overall (although did start out with 5 catches in each of his first five games (was that last year)......but with bringing in Dave Thomas and having a little depth at TE.....I see him going.....not Branch who is, and has been our #1 receiver overall......I see Branch and Samuel sticking.....One man's opinion though.....and I appreciate yours..........

I gotta agree with stc here. Branch would be the priority in my mind. He is the only 'proven' young wide receiver and has essentially been the Pats #1 option the past several years or so.

Graham is what he is. A very good blocker but with inconsistent hands.

The emergence of Watson and the drafting of Thomas and Mills means the writing is on the wall. If Graham asks for too much money next year the Pats will let him walk and take their comp pick. :p

If Jackson comes on this year I look for Branch to go.

I'm sorry guys but Branch is a questionable #1.

Yes he does make some great catches at important times, but conversely he
also drops the ball sometimes in critical situations,... over the middle.??

If Jackson lives up to his potential (shows something this season), then Branch will have to settle for reasonable #1(?) money or look elsewhere.

I'm also looking for RC to step it up here like Rodney did.

Could be wrong but I think BB is going to waite and see.?????

Anyway if the Pats give BRanch the bank at this point they are wrong IMO.

In an interview earlier this year I thought Branch said he would honor his rookie contract???????

wrangler said:
If Jackson comes on this year I look for Branch to go.

I'm sorry guys but Branch is a questionable #1.

Yes he does make some great catches at important times, but conversely he
also drops the ball sometimes in critical situations,... over the middle.??

If Jackson lives up to his potential (shows something this season), then Branch will have to settle for reasonable #1(?) money or look elsewhere.

I'm also looking for RC to step it up here like Rodney did.

Could be wrong but I think BB is going to waite and see.?????

Anyway if the Pats give BRanch the bank at this point they are wrong IMO.
You one tough wrangler, eh? Branch had no drops in 2004. Led the league with the best hands. Got open 11 times against the best secondary in the NFL to win SB MVP -- and the rookie Jackson is all of a sudden better?

Do you remember his phenomenal catch against Pittsburgh in the AFC title game, snatching the ball from the hands of the safety? And that was no fluke. Branch has great hands, great feet and he shares a brain with Brady.

Branch dropped the ball a few times last year, good grief, they ALL do. He had a slight regression to the mean in a year that the Pats had no running game and no believable play action.

No way does Jackson make Branch expendable in 2006.

The plan, IMO, is for Jackson to be what Givens was not, the big speed receiver to complement the shifty quick receiver. BB's whole strategy is to assemble different types of players so he can create mismatches.

Last edited:
Those of you who are saying that Graham has inconsistent hands need to go back to sleep because its obvious you didn't watch the last 2 years of football when Graham had 2 drops and 1 drop respectively. He improved his hands significantly. The problem was that the friggin tackles couldn't stay healthy and Graham was forced to give up his receiving routes to stay in and protect Brady because Gorin can't even handle slow defensive ends.

zippo59 said:
In an interview earlier this year I thought Branch said he would honor his rookie contract???????
How has he not done that?

spacecrime said:
How has he not done that?

He has so far but if he holds out like some suggest that would be not honoring his contract.

Good honest reply PF37.

I still believe if Jackson shows up and Branch can't stay healthy there will be
some questions if Branch wants big money.

Last season showed me when he goes over the middle he gets whiplash of the
eyeballs, not totally focused on the ball. In traffic he gets nervous.

Just what I saw every so often, I could be all wet and seeing things.????

DaBruinz said:
Those of you who are saying that Graham has inconsistent hands need to go back to sleep because its obvious you didn't watch the last 2 years of football when Graham had 2 drops and 1 drop respectively. He improved his hands significantly. The problem was that the friggin tackles couldn't stay healthy and Graham was forced to give up his receiving routes to stay in and protect Brady because Gorin can't even handle slow defensive ends.

That's what I was thinking. Graham had a reputation for dropsies in his first couple years but over the past two, I didn't remember a single ball dropped. When not forced to stay in and block, he's managed a nice number of safe catches and enough big plays to prove that he'd be one of the best receiving TEs in the league if given the chance. He's evolved into a double threat, and no other TE in the league has the unique combination of skills he has as both blocker and receiver. None is a better blocker, and while he may not be on the level of Gonzalez or Gates (or have the potential to be that, like Watson), I'd say he's very close to a Shockey.

Well I guess Tom Brady is heading for a hold out as well since he isn't at passing camp either.

This is all the tumbling tumble weeds. The reporters have become bored enough to start printing blog material in the paper.

I dont think Deion gets as much as thinks he will in FA. Even he admits he can be shut down if he doesn't have another good reciever on the other side.

14thDragon said:
Well I guess Tom Brady is heading for a hold out as well since he isn't at passing camp either.

This is all the tumbling tumble weeds. The reporters have become bored enough to start printing blog material in the paper.
I agree. When I saw that, it seemed obvious to me there isn't a lot of need for Branch to fine-tune his reads with Cassel. Heck, they kept the guy out of the whole pre-season last year. For all we know, BB might have TOLD Branch to stay out of mini-camp until Brady was there. They both might be having a big laugh over this.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Back