PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

extension for Solder: 2 years, per Schefter

Status
Not open for further replies.
At this numbers they could lock him for something like 5 years 43 Mi. When this contract expire he will hit the market still in his prime.

im sure the testicular cancer didnt factor into his play at all. im very confident he is going to bounce back

I don't want put words in your mouth, but I think you are trying to say that the Patriots don't have to worry about the cancer factoring into his play this year. I agree, if it is localized the survival rates can be up to 99% (over five years), and one has to only look at Lance Armstrong to see that it is possible (and perhaps even likely)that it won't effect his athletic career.

That said, anytime that a 27 year old (or really anybody) finds out they have cancer it is a serious, even devastating emotional blow. It is a credit to Mr. Solder that he performed so well last year while going through that, it speaks to his toughness and professionalism. I would fully expect him to play even better this year with that in the rearview mirror.

only two years?? surprised they didn't give him a longer deal.

That said, it sounds as if this could be his last contract with the Patriots, by which I mean it seems likely that if he's still a really good tackle they'll be outbid for him in three years.

At this numbers they could lock him for something like 5 years 43 Mi. When this contract expire he will hit the market still in his prime.

Having survived cancer once, and with the likelihood of concussion and other life-changing injury, he might be thinking about walking away after this contract with financial security and his health. If he were my son, I'd be tempted to suggest it.

That said, anytime that a 27 year old (or really anybody) finds out they have cancer it is a serious, even devastating emotional blow. It is a credit to Mr. Solder that he performed so well last year while going through that, it speaks to his toughness and professionalism. I would fully expect him to play even better this year with that in the rearview mirror.

Thankfully, testicular cancer is highly treatable, even in advanced stages, and it sounds like it didn't get anywhere near that far in Solder.

Having survived cancer once, and with the likelihood of concussion and other life-changing injury, he might be thinking about walking away after this contract with financial security and his health. If he were my son, I'd be tempted to suggest it.

Good point. Cancer shakes you up and gives you a new perspective even if it is treatable and there is a good prognosis. My definition of a non serious cancer is: "someone else's". I could see how he might look at the big picture in a different way than other players that are still under the illusion that they will live forever.

I'm very impressed that he played so well last year while going through that. Tough kid.

Last edited:
http://mmqb.si.com/2015/02/13/new-england-patriots-offensive-line-dave-deguglielmo

Patriot OL Coach Dave DeGuglielmo said: "I believe he’s one of the best left tackles in the NFL. And I see enough tape in film study to know what I’m talking about in that regard. I wouldn’t trade him for another left tackle in the league, I really wouldn’t. I mean the only guy, and I’ve told him this, that is in his league in my opinion with the combination of skills and movement and power is Tyron Smith in Dallas. I don’t want to hear about [Denver’s Ryan] Clady, [Cleveland’s] Joe Thomas, I don't want to hear about any of them. [Eagles’ Jason] Peters is sloppy. I’d take Nate Solder over all those guys, and I’ve told him that.

One could argue where he belongs, but the Patriot coaches aren't particularly known to be flatterers, they must have an high opinion of Solder.

That is high praise. Not common from Pats coaches.

While you may be right, the terms of the contract suggest his thinking is the opposite of that. He negotiated to make sure that, after playing three more years, he'd be free to get the best long-term contract at that point that he could.

While you may be right, the terms of the contract suggest his thinking is the opposite of that. He negotiated to make sure that, after playing three more years, he'd be free to get the best long-term contract at that point that he could.

Or he could have just said to his agent and the team, "This year and two more, and I'm done."

Or he could have just said to his agent and the team, "This year and two more, and I'm done."

Why then did he negotiate for the no-franchise-tag clause? He surely gave up something to get it, from which I infer it has value to him, from which I infer that your hypothesis is probably wrong.

Last edited:
Just for comparison

@RapSheet
Details on #Colts LT Anthony Castonzo: It’s a 4-year extension worth $42M, sources say. He’ll get $35M over the 1st 3 years of his contract

Just for comparison

@RapSheet
Details on #Colts LT Anthony Castonzo: It’s a 4-year extension worth $42M, sources say. He’ll get $35M over the 1st 3 years of his contract

Wow! Solder is no second coming of Orlando Pace or Walter Jones, but he is better than Castonzo.

My two cents: Differing goals that happen to merge...
-Solder and his agent likely understood there would be no mega dollars/long term contract to be had given his recent medical history. No way he would have passed up $10 mill/year over five years. Result: grab some security now and prove health is not an issue
-NE minimizes risk by utilizing the Ben Charrington/John Henry formula that paid off in 2013....pay above market $$ for shorter term contract
TWO PATHS COLLIDE
Solder can't get too comfortable under this contract and NE will have increased cap to play in 3 years.
I'm thinking the AHern wreckage had NE skittish to fully commit financially on a player with risk issues....different as they are........"Never again".
Pats win this negotiation.

Last edited:
My two cents: Differing goals that happen to merge...
-Solder and his agent likely understood there would be no mega dollars/long term contract to be had given his recent medical history. No way he would have passed up $10 mill/year over five years. Result: grab some security now and prove health is not an issue
-NE minimizes risk by utilizing the Ben Charrington/John Henry formula that paid off in 2013....pay above market $$ for shorter term contract
TWO PATHS COLLIDE
Solder can't get too comfortable under this contract and NE will have increased cap to play in 3 years.
I'm thinking the AHern wreckage had NE skittish to fully commit financially on a player with risk issues....different as they are........"Never again".
Pats win this negotiation.

Where do you get that they paid above market value for Solder?

Amazing that we will not have any major FA issues next year ... all good players signed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents