PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Explanation of the zone blitz out of a 3-4

Re: Explanation of the 3-4 zone blitz

Red/Blue etc... are more the codes you refer to. Sky and Cloud usually have specific meanings, like Banjo, Lock, Twist, Stem, etc...

Pass routes vary from Offense to offense. In general, I would say a Drag is a shallow cross at 8-10 and a Dig is a 15 yard in.
Well see, here we go. I've never heard banjo before, and in both offenses I've played in drags were run deeper than digs. If you had said "8-10 shallow cross" that to me would have been a "drive" or "cross" route, respectively.

If you would, go into each of those terms, if you feel like educated others. For example, to me a "twist" signifies an interior lineman looping over top of an exterior one.

....................................................................FS

CB.......................................................................................................................CB
........................................................................................SS
.......................................................... OLB LB LB OLB

Try it now. If your SS tries to get into the Deep 1/3, you can see the jump that the free release X gets on him. It's ugly.

Last edited:
I realize that in a sky coverage play, the retreating CB cover a 1/3, and the S covers the flat.

While in a cloud coverage play, a safety covers a 1/3, and the CB covers the flat.

If that's what you were referring to.

Re: Explanation of the 3-4 zone blitz

Well see, here we go. I've never heard banjo before, and in both offenses I've played in drags were run deeper than digs. If you had said "8-10 shallow cross" that to me would have been a "drive" or "cross" route, respectively.

If you would, go into each of those terms, if you feel like educated others. For example, to me a "twist" signifies an interior lineman looping over top of an exterior one.

In my Offense, the Dig is a 15 yard in. I do recognize that different Offenses will call a Wheel a Chair Route etc...

A twist is what you described.

Banjo is a call for two DB's rolled up on 2 WR (Twins, etc...) to play Inside/Outside concept rather than follow their men to avoid a rub.

I realize that in a sky coverage play, the retreating CB cover a 1/3, and the S covers the flat.

While in a cloud coverage play, a safety covers a 1/3, and the CB covers the flat.

If that's what you were referring to.

One of the most important aspects is the Force responsibilities.

One of the most important aspects is the Force responsibilities.
Of course a poster named "TripleOption" would emphasize force responsibilities. ;)

Last edited:
....................................................................FS

CB.......................................................................................................................CB
........................................................................................SS
.......................................................... OLB LB LB OLB

Try it now. If your SS tries to get into the Deep 1/3, you can see the jump that the free release X gets on him. It's ugly.

Okay, here's the thing that I don't get in your diagram, why is the SS "in the box." If he's parallel with the FS, there's no problem for him getting over to cover his third. I cannot tell you how much JOY I have to someone to talk about this.

Okay, here's the thing that I don't get in your diagram, why is the SS "in the box." If he's parallel with the FS, there's no problem for him getting over to cover his third. I cannot tell you how much JOY I have to someone to talk about this.

Because that is a C/3 Shell. A Cover 2 Shell would have the SS aligned on the hash, like you drew up.

Run responsibilities. He does no good being way outside the TE if there's no slot receiver out there to sit on top of, or deep if he needs to cover the flat.

Last edited:
Run responsibilities. He does no good being way outside the TE if there's no slot receiver out there to sit on top of, or deep if he needs to cover the flat.

okay, is not this diagram (after the snap) of a cover-3 shell. Thank you SO MUCH.

FS..........................SS.............................CB

.....LB..................LB..............LB..................LB
CB(blitz).....DE.............NT.............DE

Again this diagram isn't what they line up as, but where they are supposed to go. The blitzing CB is from the short side of the field.

Last edited:
Option joke.

I figure a Stars Wars joke would not be germaine to the thread.

okay, is not this diagram (after the snap) of a cover-3 shell. Thank you SO MUCH.

LB..................LB..............LB........................LB
CB(blitz).....DE........NT...........DE

Again this diagram isn't what they line up as, but where they are supposed to go. The blitzing CB is from the short side of the field.

You're sending the boundary CB. You could do it, but the X has a free release until the Fs gets over. The OLB would never get there in time, unless they all started creeping pre-snap.

Option joke.

I figure a Stars Wars joke would not be germaine to the thread.

So, you know of Option, eh?:)

Yes, the Force is also the Pitch defender.

You're sending the boundary CB. You could do it, but the X has a free release until the Fs gets over. The OLB would never get there in time, unless they all started creeping pre-snap.

okay, but it might work on a 3-10 say? Right? It would work in 3rd and long situations. The QB makes the throw, and the FS tackles the WR before the first down. Or the QB gets blind-sided by the blitzing CB, fumbles the football, and the defense gets the turnover. Right? :) Again, I can't tell you how much I am enjoying this.

okay, but it might work on a 3-10 say? Right? It would work in 3rd and long situations. The QB makes the throw, and the FS tackles the WR before the first down. Or the QB gets blind-sided by the blitzing CB, fumbles the football, and the defense gets the turnover. Right? :) Again, I can't tell you how much I am enjoying this.

If the QB picks up on it, it's 15+ yards easy. If he's a doofus, sure he could get drilled in the back. Most teams like to come off the Slot because it's closer.

.....LB..................LB..............LB..................LB
CB(blitz).....DE.............NT.............DE

Triple might have a different take, but I think its important to note on these diagrams both wide and strong side of field. That determines where the SS lines up, along with how the linebackers shade.

Based on the diagrams above, you're blitzing the corner on the weak side, and I'm guessing that's the wide side as well? You'll need to move the CB, WOLB, FS, and SS pre-snap to get there, which really affects your ability to defend strong side sweeps and any running play backside that's not a stretch play into the corner dog.

Triple might have a different take, but I think its important to note on these diagrams both wide and strong side of field. That determines where the SS lines up, along with how the linebackers shade.

Based on the diagrams above, you're blitzing the corner on the weak side, and I'm guessing that's the wide side as well? You'll need to move the CB, WOLB, FS, and SS pre-snap to get there, which really affects your ability to defend strong side sweeps and any running play backside that's not a stretch play into the corner dog.

SS lines up depending on the TE, Field, # of receivers, etc...

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Back