PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Explanation of the zone blitz out of a 3-4

So, you know of Option, eh?:)

Yes, the Force is also the Pitch defender.
As a former corner and safety, the pitch man responsibility is permantently engrained into my consciousness, much like how linemen are taught to always tackle the fullback.

Last edited:
SS lines up depending on the TE, Field, # of receivers, etc...
I meant "wide" in terms of space and "strong" in terms of offensive formation. Sorry that that wasn't clear. As we both know, sometimes the offense and defense shade strong into the boundary.

SS lines up depending on the TE, Field, # of receivers, etc...

Of course, blitzing a SS out of the cover-3 shell like so

.................FS........
...............................SS
.......LB......LB....LB....LB
CB......DE.....NT......DE........CB

would be much easier.... The QB wouldn't be sure if SS is just assigned an underneath zone, or is blitzing.

My question for you is, how does a QB determine out of the look of the diagram, if it is a cover1, man coverage outside, or a cover-3. Is it the CBs backing pre-snap? And if so, can the CB disguise it any and not give it away?

I meant "wide" in terms of space and "strong" in terms of offensive formation. Sorry that that wasn't clear. As we both know, sometimes the offense and defense shade strong into the boundary.

I do it all the time. I LOVE when DC's put their SS into the boundary.

BTW, Triple Option thank you so much for explaining this stuff. Earlier, I thought you were just some guy who wasn't giving me a fair shake and just dumping on my post just to do it. Anyways, sorry. You know your stuff.

Of course, blitzing a SS out of the cover-3 shell like so

.................FS........
...............................SS
.......LB......LB....LB....LB
CB......DE.....NT......DE........CB

would be much easier.... The QB wouldn't be sure if SS is just assigned an underneath zone, or is blitzing.

My question for you is, how does a QB determine out of the look of the diagram, if it is a cover1, man coverage outside, or a cover-3. Is it the CBs backing pre-snap? And if so, can the CB disguise it any and not give it away?

They really don't. They get a pre-snap read, then read on the fly. The read is MOFO or MOFC. Middle of field Open, or Middle Closed. MOFO is a C/2 look and MOFC is C/3 or C/1.

BTW, Triple Option thank you so much for explaining this stuff. Earlier, I thought you were just some guy who wasn't giving me a fair shake and just dumping on my post just to do it. Anyways, sorry. You know your stuff.

Nothing personal, I just hate the reader's digest way some reporters talk about football and the way they act like they know what they are talking about. Most haven't a clue but they violently question the game strategy decisions of a guy like BB with 30+ years of NFL experience. Those "internet explanations" pages are usually painfully thin and many times inaccurate.

They really don't. They get a pre-snap read, then read on the fly. The read is MOFO or MOFC. Middle of field Open, or Middle Closed. MOFO is a C/2 look and MOFC is C/3 or C/1.
Interestingly enough, MOFO and MOFC are the exact terms the Pats use (or used) in their 2003 Offensive Playbook.

How does a QB determine out of the look of the diagram, if it is a cover1, man coverage outside, or a cover-3. Is it the CBs backing pre-snap? And if so, can the CB disguise it any and not give it away?
One of the easier ways to diagnose a vanilla zone or man scheme is to see whether the corners are lined up on the outside or inside of the receiver. Outside typically means zone, as the corners wish to route the receivers inside towards their help. Inside technique usually means man, as the corners want the QB to make the more difficult outside throw over top of them.

You can also motion a receiver and see how the defense reacts. A cover 3 corner will pinch in but not follow his man, while a man corner will follow on the outside hip of the receiver.

Last edited:

Okay, when the safeties "split" in opposite directions after the snap that is is MOFO, a cover-2 look? To each cover their 1/2 of the field right?

Last edited:
violently question the game strategy decisions of a guy like BB with 30+ years of NFL experience.

yeah, I can't stand them either.

Thanks again for explaining this stuff. It increases my knowledge and pleasure of the game. I wish TV screens would show more of the secondary though.

Okay, when the safeties "split" in opposite directions after the snap that is is MOFO, a cover-2 look? To each cover their 1/2 of the field right?

The QB would read MOFO if the Safeties split.

I do it all the time. I LOVE when DC's put their SS into the boundary.

would you mind explaining the term "the boundary?" Thanks. I have never heard of it before.

Interestingly enough, MOFO and MOFC are the exact terms the Pats use (or used) in their 2003 Offensive Playbook.

One of the easier ways to diagnose a vanilla zone or man scheme is to see whether the corners are lined up on the outside or inside of the receiver. Outside typically means zone, as the corners wish to route the receivers inside towards their help. Inside technique usually means man, as the corners want the QB to make the more difficult outside throw over top of them.

Open/Closed is the current way to teach QB reads. It's been that way for a while. I think we used to teach "single high Safety" vs. "2 high"

With all the movement these days, sometimes a CB's leverage slides inside and outside. It's a tough presnap read.

would you mind explaining the term "the boundary?" Thanks. I have never heard of it before.

Short side of the field. It is much more of a factor in HS and College with the wider Hash marks. Many HSOffensive Coaches make a living running to the Field (wide side) with their fast backs and all that grass.

The boundary is the near side of the field. It's called "the" boundary because it restricts the field of play in a way the far sideline does not. It's an informal designation.

The boundary is the near side of the field. It's called "the" boundary because it restricts the field of play in a way the far sideline does not. It's an informal designation.

In HS and College, it's HUGE. You will literally play your best players as your Field CB, Field DE, etc. You can usually "hide" a less talented player into the Boundary.

Open/Closed is the current way to teach QB reads. It's been that way for a while. I think we used to teach "single high Safety" vs. "2 high"

With all the movement these days, sometimes a CB's leverage slides inside and outside. It's a tough presnap read.

True enough. I was guilty of thinking more as a receiver on that one. That would be a tough read for a QB, as its easy to fake pre-snap.

okay, why would you love when DC put their SS into the boundary. Is it because it weakens the "weak side of the field" due to the FS patrol the middle of the deep field?

In HS and College, it's HUGE. You will literally play your best players as your Field CB, Field DE, etc. You can usually "hide" a less talented player into the Boundary.

okay, I get why you were calling certain players Field CB, Field DE, and then boundary CB, boundary DE. It all makes sense. Thanks so much.

Last edited:
No doubt. At my high school, however, we played the corners on designated sides of the field. The better corner went on the opposing sideline, because he was in less need of strong "pass" and "ball" calls from the sideline. That can be important if your secondary is pretty even in skill.

Last edited:

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back