PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Explanation of the zone blitz out of a 3-4

Re: Explanation of the 3-4 zone blitz

There are 3-4 teams that employ the zone blitz. They don't call them Blitzburgh for nothing. Oh, that's right. I'm talking to the guy who KNOWS ALL. Nevermind, your worshipfulness.

You act like teams run a "3-4 Zone Blitz" as their defense. It's just a scheme among many.

Look, you're obviously just some dude who likes to read articles on the internet and think he could coach in the NFL.

My God, I can't even get into the inaccuracies in that article.

So, you get all your football knowledge from a reporter that got it 3rd hand and has no fundamental understanding of what he is writing?

It's not how many you blitz, it's how many you send.

Figure that one out.

I'm waiting on Sky vs. Cloud. Are you using Google, Coach?

You act like teams run a "3-4 Zone Blitz" as their defense.
Oh no your worshipfulness, Blitzburgh and Wade Phillips, there's no way that they run lots and lots of zone blitzes out of a 3-4. :rolleyes:

Oh no your worshipfulness, Blitzburgh and Wade Phillips, there's no way that they run lots and lots of zone blitzes out of a 3-4. :rolleyes:

You are almost painfully ignorant. IT'S a VARIANT. NOT A BASE.

I'm waiting on Sky vs. Cloud. Are you using Google, Coach?

I already posted what the sky and cloud is.

Didn't you read it your worshipfulness? Here let me bold it in case you missed it.

In “sky” coverage, the two cornerbacks and a safety cover the deep zones. In “cloud” coverage, one cornerback and two safeties handle the deep part of the field.

Last edited:

You are almost painfully ignorant. IT'S a VARIANT. NOT A BASE.

The 3-4 is the base. Lots of teams run the 3-4, including our team. The zone blitz is what Blitzburgh and Wade Philipps runs out of their 3-4 your worshipfulness. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

I ROFLMAO when you said "Sending your field Corner from a C/3 Shell is ridiculous," because doing so would result in "automatic TD." That was sooooooooooo funny.

The 3-4 is the base. Lots of teams run the 3-4, including our team. The zone blitz is what Blitzburgh and Wade Philipps runs out of their 3-4 your worshipfulness. :rolleyes:

I think what he is trying to say is that the defense as a whole is not "The 3-4 Zone Blitz Defense." Blitzing from the zone is only one of many ways that Pittsburg or the Chargers blitz the QB. It is one of many strategies that are used, not just an overall defense.

I already posted what the sky and cloud is.

Didn't you read it your worshipfulness? Here let me bold it in case you missed it.

In “sky” coverage, the two cornerbacks and a safety cover the deep zones. In “cloud” coverage, one cornerback and two safeties handle the deep part of the field.

Wrong. Sky means the Safety is the Flat/Force. Cloud means the CB has the Flat/Force.

I think what he is trying to say is that the defense as a whole is not "The 3-4 Zone Blitz Defense." Blitzing from the zone is only one of many ways that Pittsburg or the Chargers blitz the QB. It is one of many strategies that are used, not just an overall defense.

That is it exactly.

I never said that is what it is called. It IS a strategy that they use quite often. I never said that they use it all the time.

Last edited:

That is it exactly.

I didn't say it was called "The 3-4 Zone Blitz Defense," I was merely explaining zone blitzes out of a 3-4. You can zone blitz out of ANY formation.

I also didn't say they zone blitz every down, either. I just said that they just do a lot of it.

Triple Option, I don't care if you take exception to the article, or not. If you want to bash Football Outsiders, fine.

Nevertheless, you can blitz any member of the secondary (including a starting CB) out of the cover-3 shell.

"Cover-3 systems leave one player in the secondary free to either blitz or defend an underneath zone. Even if the extra safety or cornerback doesn’t blitz, he can still step up and occupy a zone just vacated by a blitzing linebacker."

Last edited:
This is just getting sad. It seems like Patriots-80 was just trying to create some discussion and add an informational/education post and Triple Option won't let up on it. There is no need for name calling and condescending remarks we’re rooting for the same team. Neither of you coach in the NFL and the arrogance is pretty ugly. Try some humility next time.

It seems like Patriots-80 was just trying to create some discussion and add an informational/education post.

I was just trying to add an informational post. Its the off-season. There won't be much to talk about, until FA/draft.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back