PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Explanation of the zone blitz out of a 3-4

Putting the strong side of the defense into the boundary in all formations means the wide side is more susceptible to running.

Putting the SS into the boundary in a cover three also puts your weaker flat guy into space (WOLB).

You can "put" the SS player into the boundary but call the front 7 strength to field, that's a nice compromise if you're running cover 2.

Not vs. Option teams, however. It's a whole different ballgame.

I assume that the SS is lined up over a TE.

I'd like to answer you but I can't. I have no clue what the QB is reading in that situation.

Pre Snap depth (CB's in Press or 1 by 7), CB behavior (pedal vs. jam) etc...

Bump.

This thread was incredible. Some of the bickering could have been avoided, but threads like this are what drew me to this board in the first place! Great job guys.

Triple Option, any time you wanna post a coaching thread it would be ok in my book.
Pats 80 and unoriginal, you guys too. (Just be ready for that critique coming your way from triple O;) )

Bump.

This thread was incredible. Some of the bickering could have been avoided, but threads like this are what drew me to this board in the first place! Great job guys.

Triple Option, any time you wanna post a coaching thread it would be ok in my book.
Pats 80 and unoriginal, you guys too. (Just be ready for that critique coming your way from triple O;) )

OK...Anytime.

I am not as smart as all of you gentlemen, but my understanding of a zone blitz is this: the zone blitz is unique in that it is not represented by the number of pass rushers, but the displacement of a pass rusher. An example of what my line of thought would be is an outside linebacker rushing from the outside while the DE that linebacker covers drops into a pass coverage confusing the QB. I may be naive but, it would also stand to reason that a db could rush and have an lb drop into coverage being called a zone blitz.

I am not as smart as all of you gentlemen, but my understanding of a zone blitz is this: the zone blitz is unique in that it is not represented by the number of pass rushers, but the displacement of a pass rusher. An example of what my line of thought would be is an outside linebacker rushing from the outside while the DE that linebacker covers drops into a pass coverage confusing the QB. I may be naive but, it would also stand to reason that a db could rush and have an lb drop into coverage being called a zone blitz.

First part yes.

Second part, no. Just a coverage exchange.

Triple Option, thank you for deciding to go after Adalius Thomas this year in free agency. Like Rodney said, that was such as "you" move... :D

Great thread. I wish I could sit down with you guys while in a film session. I'm sure I'd appreciate football even more than I do now.

Triple Option, thank you for deciding to go after Adalius Thomas this year in free agency. Like Rodney said, that was such as "you" move... :D

Great thread. I wish I could sit down with you guys while in a film session. I'm sure I'd appreciate football even more than I do now.

Uhh...I wish I was Belichick. Then I wouldn't have to coach as a hobby instead of a career.

zone blitzing is basically done to throw in a wrinkle or two to confuse QB specially young QBs. basically the d linmen drop into coverage while the LB blitz

zone blitzing is basically done to throw in a wrinkle or two to confuse QB specially young QBs. basically the d linmen drop into coverage while the LB blitz

Read the thread first.

why would i post a reply if i didnt read it

You tell me. You jumped in on a 14 page thread full of technical, sound, in depth info and offered a 3rd grader's definition.

You tell me. You jumped in on a 14 page thread full of technical, sound, in depth info and offered a 3rd grader's definition.
Credit where credit is due. bottle's explanation, at the very least, qualifies him for some color commentator spots on network tv.

Credit where credit is due. bottle's explanation, at the very least, qualifies him for some color commentator spots on network tv.

hey making something simple out to be extremely complicated doesnt make you look like an analysis. your explanations ar too complicated and have a lot of irrelevant stuff in there

hey making something simple out to be extremely complicated doesnt make you look like an analysis. your explanations ar too complicated and have a lot of irrelevant stuff in there

I can imagine it may seem too complicated to a guy who can't spell "are" correctly.

Uhh...I wish I was Belichick. Then I wouldn't have to coach as a hobby instead of a career.

Smg93:ROTFLMAO!!!:rofl:

Mr. Beli....um..TripleOption, Aside from the great breakdowns you gave here, your replies, ummm, haunt. The pace, length and directness do have a familiar ring...

One of the best things I've read since I've been here!:rofl:

I like how my upgrading you from third grader to color commentator is seen as insulting. :D I was aiming more for faint praise, but I guess with people like Randy Cross running about...

Re: Explanation of the 3-4 zone blitz

I'm waiting on Sky vs. Cloud. Are you using Google, Coach?

I have nothing to add...except that this could be one of the funniest posts that I have ever read in my life....

Bwwwwwwwwwhahahahahahahahahhahaa!!! Whats your address man? If my lap top breaks from the water I just spit all over it, im sending your arss the bill. ;)

Last edited:
I would just like to point out that the basic argument in the first 3-4 posts was the easiest to understand and follow. I would best describe a Zone blitz in the simplest example. DL/LB exchange. Everything else is Icing on the cake. Thanks for the lessons guys.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
Back