PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Evan Mathis released

Status
Not open for further replies.
IDK, their o-line is in a shambles even with Mathis. They only have one starter from last year on the o-line. They were all turnstiles in their game this past week. The local Denver media have been killing the o-line for a while.
Wow, I heard it wasn't good but didn't know it was that bad. Maybe I'm very wrong. I wouldn't mind it if so, lol.

Wow, I heard it wasn't good but didn't know it was that bad. Maybe I'm very wrong. I wouldn't mind it if so, lol.

Louis Vasquez is their only returning starter from last year. Clady is on IR. They inexplicably traded away Manny Ramirez on draft day. They lost Will Montgomery and Orlando Franklin to free agency. And they didn't sign a significant player in free agency (other than often injured and never lived up to the promise, Shelly Smith) and didn't draft an o-lineman until late in round 2.

This is completely untrue. His injury happened Dec 14th (week 15) against the Chargers. His arm strength and accuracy had both nose-dived well before then. Week 14 against the Bills, he threw for 0 Tds, 2 INTs and only had 173 passing yards on 14 completions. 179 yards the week before that. The Broncos were relying almost completely on the running game and their highly skilled receivers to make up for the terrible passing game that was 100% on Manning. That was happening well before the quad injury.

This makes sense if you're arguing that Manning went from healthy to not healthy in one play. That doesn't seem to be the case here, though. This appears to have been a mechanical issue, which means that he was probably feeling the negative effects long before the play that we believe he tore his quad on.

Toward the end of last season, I saw a lot of explanations stating that the issue with Manning is that his arm strength has been completely shot since his neck surgeries. Power isn't just generated in the arm: it's generated in the arm, shoulder, hips, quads, etc. So Manning's ability to generate power in his arm and shoulder was shot, he compensated by putting a heavy burden on his quads and hips. His 39 year-old body didn't hold up to the workload he subjected it to, and that was that.

According to this argument, it wasn't a freak injury, where he was fine one play and then hurt the next. It was the product of cumulative wear and tear over the course of the season, so it would show up in his performance more gradually than that, until eventually it made him pretty much useless.

Where this really gets interesting is in projecting to 2015. I'm betting that he'll feel (and look) a lot better at the start of the season, since he's had 7 months to rest up and recover. But if what I'm saying is true, he's going to be confronting the same issues again re: wear and tear, and unless he adjusts his mechanics (which it sounds like he can't, since he has to generate power from somewhere). Which means that the likelihood of ending right back in the same situation he was in last year is pretty high.

If I'm John Elway, and I understand that this the hand I've been dealt, I make it priority #1 to upgrade the OL. A better line means that I can rely more on my ground game, so Manning doesn't have to throw so much. It also means I can better protect him, which means fewer hits (and there's a whole lot of different injuries that can further mess with his mechanics) as well as helping make sure that when he does throw his feet are planted and he isn't forced into an awkward, off-balance pass.

It remains to be seen if they intend to execute that strategy, if they can win while executing it, or even if that'll be enough to prevent Manning from getting injured again. But if they want to protect Manning, having a guy like Evan Mathis helps a lot.

Also, just as a disclaimer: I'm no expert in body mechanics or anything. I'm just basing this off of something that I read from someone who is, and it seems reasonable given what we know about Manning's past and the way he fell off last year.

Louis Vasquez is their only returning starter from last year. Clady is on IR. They inexplicably traded away Manny Ramirez on draft day. They lost Will Montgomery and Orlando Franklin to free agency. And they didn't sign a significant player in free agency (other than often injured and never lived up to the promise, Shelly Smith) and didn't draft an o-lineman until late in round 2.
I remember being bewildered by the Ramirez trade.

I say we trade Dobson and Boyce for a veteran LG

Mods, please merge Threads!!
jester.gif

Just a point I caught on a comment on the PFT story on Mathis' signing. The poster claimed that Mathis was a terrific zone blocker, but struggled in power systems. He questioned what kind of system Kubiak runs in Denver and if it was as good a signing as everyone thinks. Anyone know if Kubiak employs a zone blocking system?

Yes, Kubiak is a devoted student of The Great Alexander Gibbs, Zone Blocking Maestro of Maestros.

01 ~ Mathis is not a fit, hereabouts, as Coach DeGuglielmo is a Power Guy.
02 ~ Of course if I were running things, we'd employ Zone, and I'd've pounced on Mathis.
03 ~ And I get a big chuckle out'f anyone thinking that Mathis isn't extraordinary.
04 ~ The Broncos O Line is indeed in Transition, but this Move helps it immensely.
05 ~ The Biggest Move the Broncos made, though, was hiring Wade Phillips as DC.
06 ~ They're still a very, very dangerous Team, perhaps even more so.

Marv Levy and Jim Kelly say hi.

Marv Levy and Jim Kelly are class. Elway is just a loser. besides, elway is a super bowl loser as a player and GM.

Marv Levy and Jim Kelly are class. Elway is just a loser. besides, elway is a super bowl loser as a player and GM.
I have nothing but respect for Kelly and Levy, but they do have a lot of superbowl loss experience. :)

Thanks a lot Bill. While you were busy completing a trade for an unathletic TE-OT who might not even have the ability to perform as a backup LT, and paying possibly Millions to Reggie Wayne because you have developed ZERO NFL-quality WRs in over 5 damn years (and 3, total, in FIFTEEN years), the
goddamn feckin donkeys signed one of the best LGs in football to a measley one-year contract, genius.

Thanks a lot Bill. While you were busy completing a trade for an unathletic TE-OT who might not even have the ability to perform as a backup LT, and paying possibly Millions to Reggie Wayne because you have developed ZERO NFL-quality WRs in over 5 damn years (and 3, total, in FIFTEEN years), the
goddamn feckin donkeys signed one of the best LGs in football to a measley one-year contract, genius.

I don't care, I can't stand it!!

If I remember correctly, people were saying last offseason that Denver won the "arms race" given all of their additions. How did that work out for them?

OH NOOOOOO

The team that lost 24-13 in the playoffs against the team we beat 45-7 in the playoffs signs a 34 year old left guard after losing most of their team to free agency and their washed up QB is another year older?

Color me unconcerned.

If I remember correctly, people were saying last offseason that Denver won the "arms race" given all of their additions. How did that work out for them?

Sadly there are still many around here who wish we had the "Peyton Manning" philosophy for our team. Meanwhile the SB count is pretty lopsided in Brady's favor.

Such a shame too that BB only has 8 seasons of SB experience to recollect upon when building his teams, imagine if we had someone with a better resume, we could always be in the hunt!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Back