PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

ESPN/Reiss Strike again!

Status
Not open for further replies.
So you're going to call out all the other reporters? Because I haven't seen one who reported Free Brady yet.
My guess is that the people in the middle of the chant knew it was "Free Brady!" but it wasn't as clear to the reporters who were away from it.

Or it's a massive conspiracy.

One of those.

I would HOPE that Reiss went off on an angry rant about such an abuse

Would love to see some actual links and references... really

I did - if Reiss elaborated beyond what was said that I posted - by all means, post it here

But the issue of Reiss' journalistic integrity is really not debatable.

Reiss has been censored and quotes have been attributed to him that he did not say.

That doesn't exactly fall into the realm of "journalistic integrity" and one would THINK that Reiss expressed outrage - I mean, how do we know when it's Reiss and not the editor now?

But I digress - WHERE are those stories where Reiss gets even a little bit miffed that his name is being used attached to quotes he didn't make without his knowledge or permission????

why is it necessary for reiss to show the public that he's outraged to prove his integrity?

brady never showed the public that he was outraged over the deflategate accusations. do we believe him?

on the other hand, peyton manning immediately came out with an outraged rebuttal over the HGH claims. do we believe him?

why is it necessary for reiss to show the public that he's outraged to prove his integrity?

brady never showed the public that he was outraged over the deflategate accusations. do we believe him?

on the other hand, peyton manning immediately came out with an outraged rebuttal over the HGH claims. do we believe him?
I think Reiss and Bruschi are doing what they're doing, and figure those of us who care and are paying attention are smart enough to surmise what's going on. Again, I appreciate this thread, and people taking the time and energy to point out what's going on, including things most of us might miss. I would like us to direct our passion away from anger and hatred, and toward enlightment, awareness and hopefully progress.

Reiss is a dry, stick-to-the-facts reporter, which 95% of the time is a good thing and appreciated by the people who read him. He generally avoids drama and controversy, and while I wish he'd gone to bat a little harder for the Pats in Deflategate, he wasn't exactly silent and given his style it was probably unreasonable to expect him to be more outspoken. Gotta take the bad with the good, and on the whole I think his style is still a major net positive. We already have way too many pot-stirrers in this market anyway.

You're a grown up. I'm not going to do your research for you. I just think you're wasting your energy hating a guy who's done nothing whatsoever to warrant it. Why don't you save it for the clowns that deserve it? Otherwise, you just play into the Deadspin caricature of what Pats fans are.

:rolleyes:

Seriously?

You can't find ONE article or quote to back up your contention?

You question me like I'm from another planet for making clear that Reiss and ESPN have no integrity - wasting God knows how much of your time contending that you're right... but can't even spend 20 seconds Googling?

I actually AM an adult and did try to find SOMETHING to support what you said - and couldn't find anything

Sorry bud - this is an Epic Fail for you. Give it up

ESPN is complicit in the framing of the Patriots as we all know... and when Reiss put up even the most mild attempt to point out some facts that weren't popular with ESPN or the NFL he was censored and they even falsified stories and quotes submitted by Reiss

Reiss' response? It's not just that he's done "nothing" - his response after what they did to him, as well as the Patriots is "ESPN does a great job!"

Reiss has as much credibility as ESPN - which has as much credibility as you do since you can't provide even one fact to back up your contention.

ROFL! :p

Bottom line - I've worked as a reporter. If an editor ever falsely attributed an untrue statement to me I'd be outraged - because THAT'S what journalistic integrity is about.

We have no choice but to assume that any of Reiss' bylines are NOT his - nor any of his quotes. That's a proven fact - they did it before, they will do it again.

Anything you read on ESPN is extremely suspect - and it's clear Reiss has no problem with his employer using his name and byline any way they want

I hope the money was worth it for him

When I wrote for a newspaper, if the editor falsely attributed a story to me, or otherwise significantly censored or changed the nature of what I wrote (and honestly, they never would do something that bad) I'd make clear that they can't use my name to say what they want.

That is a GROSS violation of my good name - of my integrity.

Reiss' response? "ESPN is great! I'm sure it was just an honest mistake."

Sorry folks - I used to like Mike too - but he's sold his soul to ESPN - you don't need to look far for the proof

:rolleyes:

Seriously?

You can't find ONE article or quote to back up your contention?

You question me like I'm from another planet for making clear that Reiss and ESPN have no integrity - wasting God knows how much of your time contending that you're right... but can't even spend 20 seconds Googling?

I actually AM an adult and did try to find SOMETHING to support what you said - and couldn't find anything

Sorry bud - this is an Epic Fail for you. Give it up

ESPN is complicit in the framing of the Patriots as we all know... and when Reiss put up even the most mild attempt to point out some facts that weren't popular with ESPN or the NFL he was censored and they even falsified stories and quotes submitted by Reiss

Reiss' response? It's not just that he's done "nothing" - his response after what they did to him, as well as the Patriots is "ESPN does a great job!"

Reiss has as much credibility as ESPN - which has as much credibility as you do since you can't provide even one fact to back up your contention.

ROFL! :p

Bottom line - I've worked as a reporter. If an editor ever falsely attributed an untrue statement to me I'd be outraged - because THAT'S what journalistic integrity is about.

We have no choice but to assume that any of Reiss' bylines are NOT his - nor any of his quotes. That's a proven fact - they did it before, they will do it again.

Anything you read on ESPN is extremely suspect - and it's clear Reiss has no problem with his employer using his name and byline any way they want

I hope the money was worth it for him

Sorry, you're completely unhinged on this subject. I've looked and I haven't found a single report of a Free Brady chant from ANY reporter covering the team. Are you seriously nuts enough that you think ESPN is conspiring to make sure that none of the NE fans know that people we're chanting Free Brady?

I'm pretty sure they've got plenty of other nefarious **** to get up to than this pissant conspiracy in your own mind that doesn't and wouldn't affect anybody anywhere.

Good lord.

Sorry, you're completely unhinged on this subject. I've looked and I haven't found a single report of a Free Brady chant from ANY reporter covering the team. Are you seriously nuts enough that you think ESPN is conspiring to make sure that none of the NE fans know that people we're chanting Free Brady?

I'm pretty sure they've got plenty of other nefarious **** to get up to than this pissant conspiracy in your own mind that doesn't and wouldn't affect anybody anywhere.

Good lord.

I haven't raised the Free Brady issue once

I simply pointed out (as you know) that Reiss has no problem with ESPN putting words in his mouth and his journalistic integrity is very much in question

You disagree but can't find a single word from Reiss where he expresses any concern about that ("it was a mistake" he says - "but ESPN does great things!" he says)

Talk about moving the goal posts - show me where I ONCE said anything about "Free Brady"?

(You may Google - but only if you are an adult)

I haven't raised the Free Brady issue once

I simply pointed out (as you know) that Reiss has no problem with ESPN putting words in his mouth and his journalistic integrity is very much in question

You disagree but can't find a single word from Reiss where he expresses any concern about that ("it was a mistake" he says - "but ESPN does great things!" he says)

Talk about moving the goal posts - show me where I ONCE said anything about "Free Brady"?

(You may Google - but only if you are an adult)

The original post was about the alleged 'Free Brady' chant with the objection being the missing 'Free'. You responded to that post with:

"Given the extraordinary, Nazi-like lengths to which BSPN goes to disparage and denigrate the Patriots, I believe he may have been edited."

and then carried on your rant from there.

As to pushing back at the interference he's encountered:

Max and Mike, I see quite a few comments similar to yours in this chat. I think over the last four years, we’ve established a community that is straight-forward and honest, so I’m going to shoot you straight here: I have lost control over the tone and direction of the Patriots blog on ESPNBoston.com. Since I started a Patriots blog back in 2003-2004, back at the MetroWest Daily News and then at the Boston Globe, I’ve always had control, for the most part, of the tone and direction of the blog. Over the last three days, that has changed as ESPN has introduced its NFL Nation project. Based on the personal investment I’ve put into it, there are a lot of emotions that come with that, and still a lot of questions ahead as to how things will unfold going forward as it relates to the tone and direction of the blog.

As a Boston Sports Media Watch writer said: "That’s the Mike Reiss equivalent of coming into the office and shooting the place up. He’s furious."

Regarding the addition of the word 'apology' to a post of his:

Mike ReissVerified account‏@MikeReiss
@BestofBSMW I never wrote those words and my byline should have never been attached to it.

@therealtommydel @Boda45 @BestofBSMW It was a mistake. Would hope it wasn't on site long, but shouldn't have happened.

More generally, he commented: I have been having some internal philosophical debates in my head about what media is these days. What are we trying to accomplish? When I got into this business, I thought we were supposed to tell people what they needed to know. Now I think we’re trending in a dangerous area where we report based on what will get clicks. It bothers me…

I know you think he should just quit because after all, he doesn't have a family to take care of or anything.

In 2009, their daughter Talia was born with a heart defect, which was diagnosed at an 18-week ultrasound. Three days after Talia was born, she had successful surgery at Children’s. In 2012, she had another successful open-heart surgery at Children’s, related to the same condition. Today, Talia is thriving and an inspiration to the family.

Huh. Funny, that (2009) is /exactly/ when he left the Globe to join ESPN.

The original post was about the alleged 'Free Brady' chant with the objection being the missing 'Free'. You responded to that post with:

"Given the extraordinary, Nazi-like lengths to which BSPN goes to disparage and denigrate the Patriots, I believe he may have been edited."

Moving the goal posts again

You must work for ESPN

I said NOTHING of the sort - and trust me - I'm a bit more outraged than Mike Reiss is about someone attributing words I never said to me.

CORRECT THAT IMMEDIATELY

I didn't raise anything about the Free Brady issue whatsoever and you know it - I have no idea where you fabricated that from - but you've made my points very well with the rest of it

Mike Reiss is very much dependent on his income from ESPN (unlike Bruschi)

ESPN has attributed quotes to Reiss he never made - they have been caught editing and fabricating statements for Reiss - we know this for a fact

On the occaisions when it was noticed, Reiss' response to this attack on his journalistic integrity was "oh well, it was a mistake - ESPN does great stuff!"

We have to assume ESPN has been doing this before, and continues to do it today, and will so in the future

For precisely the reasons you pointed out - that Reiss is held hostage by ESPN because he very much needs the income - we really can't trust that what appears in his byline was written by him

This is indisputable - I don't understand why you are defending ESPN so strongly - and fabricating quotes attributed to me, just like ESPN does with Reiss

Moving the goal posts again

You must work for ESPN

I said NOTHING of the sort - and trust me - I'm a bit more outraged than Mike Reiss is about someone attributing words I never said to me.

CORRECT THAT IMMEDIATELY

I didn't raise anything about the Free Brady issue whatsoever and you know it - I have no idea where you fabricated that from - but you've made my points very well with the rest of it

Mike Reiss is very much dependent on his income from ESPN (unlike Bruschi)

ESPN has attributed quotes to Reiss he never made - they have been caught editing and fabricating statements for Reiss - we know this for a fact

On the occaisions when it was noticed, Reiss' response to this attack on his journalistic integrity was "oh well, it was a mistake - ESPN does great stuff!"

We have to assume ESPN has been doing this before, and continues to do it today, and will so in the future

For precisely the reasons you pointed out - that Reiss is held hostage by ESPN because he very much needs the income - we really can't trust that what appears in his byline was written by him

This is indisputable - I don't understand why you are defending ESPN so strongly - and fabricating quotes attributed to me, just like ESPN does with Reiss

Ok dude. Whatever. I'm done with it. I work for ESPN.

Reiss is a dry, stick-to-the-facts reporter, which 95% of the time is a good thing and appreciated by the people who read him. He generally avoids drama and controversy, and while I wish he'd gone to bat a little harder for the Pats in Deflategate, he wasn't exactly silent and given his style it was probably unreasonable to expect him to be more outspoken. Gotta take the bad with the good, and on the whole I think his style is still a major net positive. We already have way too many pot-stirrers in this market anyway.

Not just that, but reading his tweets and his comments in his mailbags/chats (before ESPN made him stop) it was very clear he was very PO'd about the whole thing. He's not the type to rant and rave so you are never going to see that. But he put out plenty of shots at ESPN which were quite visible to people who actually read and understand that there are other ways to express dissatisfaction besides going on a foam-flecked rant.

See? I told you this thread is informative and enlightening. I wish I could give both you guys hugs.

"...I'm here for an argument, please."

"-Oh, I'm terribly sorry, this is Abuse..."

I think Reiss and Bruschi are doing what they're doing, and figure those of us who care and are paying attention are smart enough to surmise what's going on. Again, I appreciate this thread, and people taking the time and energy to point out what's going on, including things most of us might miss. I would like us to direct our passion away from anger and hatred, and toward enlightment, awareness and hopefully progress.
WTF kind of fun would that be? For crissakes, this site isn't the home page for the Little Sisters of the Poor. It's a freaking pro football message board. Hey, I'm all for kumbaya, and peace and love and old Youngbloods' songs, etc. Hell, I'm old enough to have had a draft card, a birthday that landed me a #314 in the first televised draft lottery (thank God) and actually to have headed west to Woodstock in August of 99 on the Mass Pike, only to be derailed (another story for another time). I'm all for peace and love, but on a board like this? Let it rip. Anger is fine, hatred is not, getting royally pissed off and slipping into "****land" while not always acceptable, is at least something that can be forgiven.

"shady reporter said" hahaha thats ridiculous

In 2009, their daughter Talia was born with a heart defect, which was diagnosed at an 18-week ultrasound. Three days after Talia was born, she had successful surgery at Children’s. In 2012, she had another successful open-heart surgery at Children’s, related to the same condition. Today, Talia is thriving and an inspiration to the family.

Huh. Funny, that (2009) is /exactly/ when he left the Globe to join ESPN.

Inspiring that he was able to start and excel at a new job while going through that nightmare.

WTF kind of fun would that be? For crissakes, this site isn't the home page for the Little Sisters of the Poor. It's a freaking pro football message board. Hey, I'm all for kumbaya, and peace and love and old Youngbloods' songs, etc. Hell, I'm old enough to have had a draft card, a birthday that landed me a #314 in the first televised draft lottery (thank God) and actually to have headed west to Woodstock in August of 99 on the Mass Pike, only to be derailed (another story for another time). I'm all for peace and love, but on a board like this? Let it rip. Anger is fine, hatred is not, getting royally pissed off and slipping into "****land" while not always acceptable, is at least something that can be forgiven.
Yeah, I don't seem to toughen up until October-November...I guess I need the season to start. Could be Patriots-bashing burnout.

There's some serious crazy going on in this thread, holy fuccccckkkk

You're POSITIVE I said that are you? Sure you don't want to correct yourself and apologize?

Given the extraordinary, Nazi-like lengths to which BSPN goes to disparage and denigrate the Patriots, I believe he may have been edited. In any case, no matter how nice a person Reiss seems to be, his employer, as I've pointed out here before, is totally devoid of credibility.

EPIC FAIL there rochrist.... you might actually want to go back and check your facts before you get all "I'm smarter than an actual reporter who actually knows something about journalistic integrity."

Ok dude. Whatever. I'm done with it. I work for ESPN.

Look - bottom line - and not even YOU can deny it.

We don't know what Reiss is writing and what his editors are writing in his name. How many times does this happen without anyone but Reiss knowing? We have no idea.

If you still believe Reiss' reporting then you need to give his ESPN editors credit because there's a good chance they wrote it in his name

In the realm of Journalistic Integrity, that means Mike sold his

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents