PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

ESPN/Reiss Strike again!

Status
Not open for further replies.
So what? If you can't trust anything from ESPN no matter what, ever, then Teddy is as suspect as anyone else.

But the whole question is stupid because Mike Reiss has never done anything to warrant this over the top reaction other than work for an outfit that we don't generally like. That hasn't stopped him from being arguably the go to guy for regular info on what's going on with the team. Clearly, the team hasn't got the slightest problem with him.
(laughing) What are they going to do? Say, "We don't like this guy covering our team..."

How about Tedy Bruschi - same for him?

He's in the same situation as Reiss or any other Pats supporter on BSPN. In every war there are casualties.

I read at least 5 or 6 different blogs (ESPN Boston, Patriots.com, PatsPulpit, CBS Boston, Boston Herald, NESN) about yesterday's practice and not one do I recall mentioning the chant being "Free Brady." Instead they all mentioned in some fashion that the large crowd struck up Brady-Brady-Brady type chants on a couple of occasions, one which Brady finally acknowledged with a wave.

Not saying the OP didn't hear what he heard, but he might want to ease up on binge watching Conspiracy Theory night after night. Even though Julia R is delightfully eye opening in it. :D

Anyway it's nice to be free of hateful, trivial, nitpicking, negative attacks from people online.
Hey!!!! You also reply to posts directed toward you!!! Wow!!!

He's in the same situation as Reiss or any other Pats supporter on BSPN. In every war there are casualties.

I have it from a pretty high source in the Patriots communications department that they simply cannot and will not divulge anything resembling inside information to ESPN - and yes, that includes Reiss

Not that I (or I would hope any of you) really needed them to tell me that - as even if the Pats were inclined to trust Reiss they know that ESPN will actually change their reporter's stories if there's too much "truth" and they know exactly where that inside info is likely to go - the only thing they give him are the things they WANT to see published (and that includes misinformation.)

And what was Reiss' reaction when ESPN altered his stories where there was even the most mild defense of the Patriots?? Someone correct me if I'm wrong but did Mike Reiss issue an outraged statement about ESPN and his personal journalistic integrity?

I recall lots of OTHERS doing that - but Reiss was pretty silent aside from affirming that in fact, his story was substantially changed. It was the classic acknowledgement by Mike Reiss that he is on a tight leash and he knows it.

As Mike Reiss himself said at the time of the controversy over his altered story “I think ESPN does a lot of great things and can cover things in a great way."

Does that sound like a reporter who is even mildly upset that his articles are changed and quotes are falsely attributed to him? Let alone upset about 6 months perpetuating a lie (which Reiss himself contributed to) about 11 of 12 footballs?

I'd say that speaks volumes of Reiss' journalistic integrity - along with the fact that's clearly fine with Reiss since he's still at ESPN 2 years later - none of that sounds like a guy who thinks ESPN has been doing a bad job on it's coverage of Framegate to me

Has Mike Reiss even said anything at ALL critical about his ESPN colleague's false reporting that is STILL on the ESPN webiste? (again, correct me if I'm wrong because aside from Reiss' silent defense of his bosses, I can't recall seeing that)

Again - if Reiss published a substantial story critical of ESPN and Mortensen's several years publication of the "11 of 12" story, please let me know - because clearly I missed it - all I recall is his "7 takeaways" article and commentary on the ESPN ombudsman that soon became "5 takeaways" - which is far too little too late

But it's been crickets from Reiss and I think that tells you all you need to know about his current reporting and journalistic integrity

I do remember Reiss' "The Patriots must be held accountable" story where he continued to use the "11 of 12" propaganda - nor do I recall any angry rant from Reiss when ESPN actually attributed a quote to Reiss saying that Brady "apologized" for his role in the Deflategate controversy

The fact of the matter is, unlike Bruschi or other financially secure ex-football players (another reason why I hold Bruschi's game day commentary with higher regard than Reiss/ESPN), Reiss doesn't have several millions in savings and NEEDS his job and seems to accept that he can't say what he wants

Don't get me wrong - Reiss is not the only one in the NFL media that is a lap dog for their NFL/ESPN sources - they all depend on access to NFL teams for their trade and aside from Sally Jenkins and a handful of others bold enough to piss off a $60 billion business entity, most other reporters KNOW Goodell et al have been lying but have declined to write about it)

We've seen what happens to reporters who question ESPN too - they are quickly let go - and Reiss knows this

So no - while I don't think that ESPN has the ability to stop Bruschi from saying what he wants (in part because that's live, right out of Bruschi's mouth and not "editable" and it would take a lot more than his ESPN salary for Bruschi to be bought - even though I question him for supporting ESPN) I question EVERYTHING attributed to Reiss (as Reiss and we all know we can't say for sure he actually said or wrote it) - and note the OMISSION of any Sally Jenkins-ish story coming from Reiss' keyboards

Just let that sink in for a second folks before you go on a "Reiss is above reproach" rant

Any of Reiss's articles or quotes may or may not be his. They may in fact be ESPN editors - and what's worse, we will never know what Reiss really thinks since he can't or won't print it

That's ok with Reiss - or else he'd not be at ESPN

If Reiss leaves ESPN (or better yet - is fired) - I expect to see some more frank commentary from him - but for perceptions of his own integrity, I don't think you'll ever see Reiss share too much about how he allowed himself to be compromised by ESPN in return for a pretty good paycheck

Last edited:
(laughing) What are they going to do? Say, "We don't like this guy covering our team..."
They've done it before. Thomase was so frozen out he had to be shifted to baseball. The next time Borges gets any sort of comment from Bill will be the first time in more than a decade. Reiss gets lots of attention from Bill, clearly he doesn't have a problem with him.

I have it from a pretty high source in the Patriots communications department that they simply cannot and will not divulge anything resembling inside information to ESPN - and yes, that includes Reiss

Not that I (or I would hope any of you) really needed them to tell me that - as even if the Pats were inclined to trust Reiss they know that ESPN will actually change their reporter's stories if there's too much "truth" and they know exactly where that inside info is likely to go - the only thing they give him are the things they WANT to see published (and that includes misinformation.)

And what was Reiss' reaction when ESPN altered his stories where there was even the most mild defense of the Patriots?? Someone correct me if I'm wrong but did Mike Reiss issue an outraged statement about ESPN and his personal journalistic integrity?

I recall lots of OTHERS doing that - but Reiss was pretty silent aside from affirming that in fact, his story was substantially changed. It was the classic acknowledgement by Mike Reiss that he is on a tight leash and he knows it.

As Mike Reiss himself said at the time of the controversy over his altered story “I think ESPN does a lot of great things and can cover things in a great way,"

I'd say that speaks volumes of Reiss' journalistic integrity - along with the fact that's clearly fine with Reiss since he's still at ESPN 2 years later - none of that sounds like a guy who thinks ESPN has been doing a bad job on it's coverage of Framegate to me

Again - if Reiss published a substantial story critical of ESPN and Mortensen's several years publication of the "11 of 12" story, please let me know - because clearly I missed it - all I recall is his "7 takeaways" article and commentary on the ESPN ombudsman that soon became "5 takeaways" - which is far too little too late

But it's been crickets from Reiss and I think that tells you all you need to know about his current reporting and journalistic integrity

I do remember Reiss' "The Patriots must be held accountable" story where he continued to use the "11 of 12" propaganda - nor do I recall any angry rant from Reiss when ESPN actually attributed a quote to Reiss saying that Brady "apologized" for his role in the Deflategate controversy

The fact of the matter is, unlike Bruschi or other financially secure ex-football players (another reason why I hold Bruschi's game day commentary with higher regard than Reiss/ESPN), Reiss doesn't have several millions in savings and NEEDS his job and seems to accept that he can't say what he wants

Don't get me wrong - Reiss is not the only one in the NFL media that is a lap dog for their NFL/ESPN sources - they all depend on access to NFL teams for their trade and aside from Sally Jenkins and a handful of others bold enough to piss off a $60 billion business entity, most other reporters KNOW Goodell et al have been lying but have declined to write about it)

We've seen what happens to reporters who question ESPN too - they are quickly let go - and Reiss knows this

So no - while I don't think that ESPN has the ability to stop Bruschi from saying what he wants (in part because that's live, right out of Bruschi's mouth and not "editable" and it would take a lot more than his ESPN salary for Bruschi to be bought - even though I question him for supporting ESPN) I question EVERYTHING attributed to Reiss (as Reiss and we all know we can't say for sure he actually said or wrote it) - and note the OMISSION of any Sally Jenkins-ish story coming from Reiss' keyboards

Just let that sink in for a second folks before you go on a "Reiss is above reproach" rant

Any of Reiss's articles or quotes may or may not be his. They may in fact be ESPN editors - and what's worse, we will never know what Reiss really thinks since he can't or won't print it

That's ok with Reiss - or else he'd not be at ESPN

If Reiss leaves ESPN (or better yet - is fired) - I expect to see some more frank commentary from him - but for perceptions of his own integrity, I don't think you'll ever see Reiss share too much about how he allowed himself to be compromised by ESPN in return for a pretty good paycheck

You pretty clearly have a very selective memory in regards to his stuff.

They've done it before. Thomase was so frozen out he had to be shifted to baseball. The next time Borges gets any sort of comment from Bill will be the first time in more than a decade. Reiss gets lots of attention from Bill, clearly he doesn't have a problem with him.
Very good examples. I don't understand how Tomase is walking around, let alone working. Unless he's hired by ESPN (why has that not already happened?)

I'm not quite clear why you refuse to show any proof of that - again, one would expect that the most outrage over journalistic censoring would come from Reiss

He was and is largely silent - but please post any angry Reiss rants I may have missed, as I requested, because in fact if Reiss did express the outrage of other non-ESPN reporters over "11 of 12" or ESPN's false quotes and censored stories, I missed it.

The ESPN Ombudsman (a Jets fan of course) himself went out of his way to contact Reiss to ask for his reaction to the censorship story - and this is what Reiss said: “I think ESPN does a lot of great things and can cover things in a great way."

If that sounds like outrage over his employer undermining his integrity to you, I think you're alone

That's the thing - the fact that Reiss' Journalistic Integrity has been undermined by ESPN is indisputable. We have no way of knowing whether his quotes are his own or whether his stories have been changed. Two instances were caught, because they were so blatant and egregious - and not even Reiss could deny that - and he didn't even seem all that miffed.

How many more instances has that happened? We'll never know. But one would never assume ESPN hasn't done before and since what we ALL know they did.

The only thing we're debating is whether Reiss has a problem with that - and he clearly does not

In fairness - I'll provide you with some attribution of what I said

If my memory is "selective" and I only remember those times that Reiss rolled over like a lap dog for his owners at ESPN, then these are the types of articles influencing me

Patriots should be held accountable (Reiss - calling on Patriots to explain the 11 of 12 under-inflated footballs report)

Lack of transparency on Deflategate made journalism tougher to judge (Reiss, acknowledging the censorship of his articles but using the opportunity to affirm what a great network ESPN is)

And of course - the blatant attribution of something Reiss didn't even say - where ESPN had Reiss saying that Brady apologized for Deflategate

Wouldn't you think an editor, attributing a false statement, to a reporter of Reiss' supposed caliber, would generate even a LITTLE bit of ire on his part?

Nope. Here's Mike Reiss' reaction to ESPN falsely attributing quotes to him:

"It was a mistake. Would hope it wasn't on site long, but shouldn't have happened."

Not even the least amount of outrage.

I have to assume that wasn't the first or last time ESPN did that - so the question is, if you don't know whether Mike Reiss wrote what ESPN says he wrote, why would you be defending his and ESPN's integrity?

Last edited:

And again - if Tedy Bruschi has had his quotes changed or has been edited and I missed that - and if Tedy's response to that happenng was "Meh - that's ok if I said Brady apologized for Deflategate" please correct me there with a link to an article as well

But to my "selective memory" Tedy - as commentator mind you and not reporter - has been pretty strong in his defense of Brady when it's come up, and I can't recall one time when Bruschi was censored or had quotes falsely attributed to him

THIS is why Reiss' journalistic integrity is in question (and generally why Bruschi's is not)

And if Bruschi WAS censored or ESPN attributed words to Tedy that he never said (again, provide a link because my memory is obviously selective) - I tend to think that he'd respond with a bit more energy and outrage to defend his integrity than "ESPN is great! Mistakes happen! No worries guys! I'm an optimist that ESPN is fair and impartial!"

Becuase really, that's all I can recall Reiss saying - and I've provided the articles to demonstrate that even if my memory is "selective" - it's accurate on those points.

But I'm really looking forward to hearing how and where Reiss has taken issue with ESPN at ANY time or at the VERY least called on them to correct the false "11 of 12" story that Mortensen wrote which Reiss then perpetuated

Unlike Bruschi - who's an analyst and commentator and actually is INTENDED to have opinions, Reiss is a REPORTER who is supposed to report fairly and honestly, and as much as it pains me, I haven't seen that from him - nor the least bit of outrage or even irritation from him when his employer attributes false statements and half truths to him in his byline

Last edited:
In fairness - I'll provide you with some attribution of what I said

If my memory is "selective" and I only remember those times that Reiss rolled over like a lap dog for his owners at ESPN, then these are the types of articles influencing me

Patriots should be held accountable (Reiss - calling on Patriots to explain the 11 of 12 under-inflated footballs report)

Lack of transparency on Deflategate made journalism tougher to judge (Reiss, acknowledging the censorship of his articles but using the opportunity to affirm what a great network ESPN is)

And of course - the blatant attribution of something Reiss didn't even say - where ESPN had Reiss saying that Brady apologized for Deflategate

Wouldn't you think an editor, attributing a false statement, to a reporter of Reiss' supposed caliber, would generate even a LITTLE bit of ire on his part?

Nope. Here's Mike Reiss' reaction to ESPN falsely attributing quotes to him:

"It was a mistake. Would hope it wasn't on site long, but shouldn't have happened."

Not even the least amount of outrage.

I have to assume that wasn't the first or last time ESPN did that - so the question is, if you don't know whether Mike Reiss wrote what ESPN says he wrote, why would you be defending his and ESPN's integrity?

That wasn't all he had to say about that incident. Neither was the other quote. You're either selectively misquoting him, or your memory is failing you. No, he didn't go off and rant about the evils of ESPN, but you don't DO that about your employer. He did, however, indicate his pretty strong displeasure.

Again, you're basing this entire jihad based on his reporting the fans broke into a 'Brady!' chant instead of 'Free Brady!'. Something I haven't heard being reported anywhere else btw. The point is, how inane! What could he possibly gain from that? You honestly think ESPN gives a flying crap? Why? If anything, it would be better for them to have it reported that way. Do you think, for some strange reason, that nobody in NE (or anywhere else for that matter, although Reiss is mostly read in NE) thinks that fans ere don't support Brady? Really?

Forgiveness, please. Humble fansite neophyte concedes worthy veteran poster's wisdom. Still waiting for medical insurance company's response regarding coverage for individual therapy.

I still like the thread, though. I found it informative, even fun.

So I'm getting shot at dawn, right?

Forgiveness, please. Humble fansite neophyte concedes worthy veteran poster's wisdom. Still waiting for medical insurance company's response regarding coverage for individual therapy.

I still like the thread, though. I found it informative, even fun.

So I'm getting shot at dawn, right?
Your nonsensical BS was cute for about 15 f###### seconds. Go re-read what you just posted. It's embarrassingly stupid. You think it's cute and clever. It's not. It's moronic.

That wasn't all he had to say about that incident. Neither was the other quote. You're either selectively misquoting him, or your memory is failing you. No, he didn't go off and rant about the evils of ESPN, but you don't DO that about your employer. He did, however, indicate his pretty strong displeasure.

Again, you're basing this entire jihad based on his reporting the fans broke into a 'Brady!' chant instead of 'Free Brady!'. Something I haven't heard being reported anywhere else btw. The point is, how inane! What could he possibly gain from that? You honestly think ESPN gives a flying crap? Why? If anything, it would be better for them to have it reported that way. Do you think, for some strange reason, that nobody in NE (or anywhere else for that matter, although Reiss is mostly read in NE) thinks that fans ere don't support Brady? Really?

I would HOPE that Reiss went off on an angry rant about such an abuse

Would love to see some actual links and references... really

I did - if Reiss elaborated beyond what was said that I posted - by all means, post it here

But the issue of Reiss' journalistic integrity is really not debatable.

Reiss has been censored and quotes have been attributed to him that he did not say.

That doesn't exactly fall into the realm of "journalistic integrity" and one would THINK that Reiss expressed outrage - I mean, how do we know when it's Reiss and not the editor now?

But I digress - WHERE are those stories where Reiss gets even a little bit miffed that his name is being used attached to quotes he didn't make without his knowledge or permission????

Last edited:
I would HOPE that Reiss went off on an angry rant about such an abuse

Would love to see some actual links and references... really

I did - if Reiss elaborated beyond what was said that I posted - by all means, post it here

But the issue of Reiss' journalistic integrity is really not debatable.

Reiss has been censored and quotes have been attributed to him that he did not say.

That doesn't exactly fall into the realm of "journalistic integrity" and one would THINK that Reiss expressed outrage - I mean, how do we know when it's Reiss and not the editor now?

But I digress - WHERE are those stories where Reiss gets even a little bit miffed that his name is being used attached to quotes he didn't make without his knowledge or permission????
You're a grown up. I'm not going to do your research for you. I just think you're wasting your energy hating a guy who's done nothing whatsoever to warrant it. Why don't you save it for the clowns that deserve it? Otherwise, you just play into the Deadspin caricature of what Pats fans are.

All this back and forth continues to miss the point --- the REPORTER got it wrong, period. Reiss is paid to report and his story was inaccurate.

In my job, when I get things wrong, my credibility suffers and so should his. It's called accountability.

It would be really easy for Reiss to fix things, those "free Brady" chants are ongoing and rightfully so. Let's just see what he reports going forward.

All this back and forth continues to miss the point --- the REPORTER got it wrong, period. Reiss is paid to report and his story was inaccurate.

In my job, when I get things wrong, my credibility suffers and so should his. It's called accountability.

It would be really easy for Reiss to fix things, those "free Brady" chants are ongoing and rightfully so. Let's just see what he reports going forward.
So you're going to call out all the other reporters? Because I haven't seen one who reported Free Brady yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST