PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

ESPN/Reiss Strike again!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you consider Tedy Bruschi a sports journalist?

I don't

I consider Tedy a football analyst - a former player who brings great insights into game based upon first hand experience guys like Reiss simply can't provide

I USED to consider Reiss a great sports journalist who gave as much honest and intelligent insight to the "game" BEHIND the game, as well as someone who provided intelligent commentary and reporting to the on-field analysis itself (I have to think that some of his Patriots sources might not divulge quite as much to an ESPN employee these days either!)

I think the fact that most fans confuse the two roles at all tells me all I need to know about the status of "sports journalism" period

And it seems to me that ESPN caters specifically to those who can't comprehend the difference between the two
"I just can't trust anyone who receives a paycheck from Goodell's Media Mafia - sorry Mike - no offense - but you hurt your career and credibility by hitching your wagon to ESPN's horse."

It's a double standard.

"I just can't trust anyone who receives a paycheck from Goodell's Media Mafia - sorry Mike - no offense - but you hurt your career and credibility by hitching your wagon to ESPN's horse."

It's a double standard.

Oh - ok... Carlos who works in the break room ;)- Him I trust (so, guilty as charged on the double-standard... obviously - where's that rolleyes emoticon when you need it?)

Seriously - you've got to be joking... you can't actually be asserting that that Bruschi and Reiss play the same role and you have the same expectations of their "journalism"

]Surely you're not asserting that Bruschi and Reiss have both been equally effusive in their insistence that Brady is innocent? I heard a helluva lot more defense of Brady from Bruschi than Reiss (as one should probably expect given the fact that they play different roles)

But yes... Bruschi is also diminished by working at ESPN, as I said

I'm not sure why you think me saying that is a double standard

Oh - ok... Carlos who works in the break room ;)- Him I trust (so, guilty as charged on the double-standard... obviously - where's that rolleyes emoticon when you need it?)

Seriously - you've got to be joking... you can't actually be asserting that that Bruschi and Reiss play the same role and you have the same expectations of their "journalism"

]Surely you're not asserting that Bruschi and Reiss have both been equally effusive in their insistence that Brady is innocent? I heard a helluva lot more defense of Brady from Bruschi than Reiss (as one should probably expect given the fact that they play different roles)

But as I said - yes... Bruschi is also diminished by working at ESPN, as I said

I'm not sure why you think me saying that is a double standard

Look, you said that you don't trust anyone at ESPN. That was your specific reason for diminishing Reiss.

Then Jackson brought up Tedy, and all of a sudden their "role" at ESPN (and how Tedy defended a long-time teammate) is crucial in determining their trustworthiness. That allows you to dismiss a guy you like from your blanket criticism.

It's no skin off of my nose, but this is a textbook double standard.

It's a double standard.

Let me make this simple

Would you expect that Reiss, if he so chose, could easily write a pulitzer award contending story illustrating the corruption and duplicity of Goodell and the League Office, simply based upon what's already part of the public record?

I actually do - I have that high regard for Reiss' intelligence and journalism. And it's very clear that ESPN is NOT interested in allowing Reiss - even assuming he wanted to - to engage in the research and analysis of such a story

In other words - if Reiss didn't work at ESPN I'd expect you'd see him along side Sally Jenkins noting who the true "liar" is in Deflategate

Now - do you expect that Tedy Bruschi - even with what I'd guess is a Bachelors Degree in Communications, to be doing the in-depth research and analysis to write a similar pulitzer winning story?

I don't - that's simply not what Bruschi does - not what I expect of him. I expect him to analyze on-field football.

Unless you have the same expectations of Bruschi and Reiss, then my friend, you are guilty of a "double standard"

What you seem to want to ignore is the fact that when you compare apples and oranges, there is an inherent "double standard" - denying that there isn't is not quite the "mic drop" moment you seem to think it is

In fact, asserting that well all have the same journalistic standards for both Brushci and Reiss is the anti-mic drop moment for you

Last edited:
Look, you said that you don't trust anyone at ESPN. That was your specific reason for diminishing Reiss.

Then Jackson brought up Tedy, and all of a sudden their "role" at ESPN (and how Tedy defended a long-time teammate) is crucial in determining their trustworthiness. That allows you to dismiss a guy you like from your blanket criticism.

It's no skin off of my nose, but this is a textbook double standard.

You asked me to elaborate - and I did.

If you want to ignore all of what I've further explained - the different journalistic expectations and standards for a sports journalist and former player/analyst - and simply go back to my "I don't trust anyone who works at ESPN (which I really don't) then so be it

That kindof shows that you realize there's truth to what I say, because you seem to be ignoring everything I've said but one phrase you continue to insist on taking out of context

Let me make this simple

Would you expect that Reiss, if he so chose, could easily write a pulitzer award contending story illustrating the corruption and duplicity of Goodell and the League Office, simply based upon what's already part of the public record?

I actually do - I have that high regard for Reiss' intelligence and journalism. And it's very clear that ESPN is NOT interested in allowing Reiss - even assuming he wanted to - to engage in the research and analysis of such a story

In other words - if Reiss didn't work at ESPN I'd expect you'd see him along side Sally Jenkins noting who the true "liar" is in Deflategate

Now - do you expect that Tedy Bruschi - even with what I'd guess is a Bachelors Degree in Communications, to be doing the in-depth research and analysis to write a similar pulitzer winning story?

I don't - that's simply not what Bruschi does - not what I expect of him. I expect him to analyze on-field football.

Unless you have the same expectations of Bruschi and Reiss, then my friend, you are guilty of a "double standard"

What you seem to want to ignore is the fact that when you compare apples and oranges, there is an inherent "double standard" - denying that there isn't is not quite the "mic drop" moment you seem to think it is

In fact, asserting that well all hae the same journalistic standards for both Brushci and Reiss is the anti-mic drop moment for you
Yeah, nope. And you apparently don't actually know how a double standard works, so I'll just go and not be here.

Go Pats!

Yeah, nope. And you apparently don't actually know how a double standard works, so I'll just go and not be here.

Go Pats!

Do apples taste the same as oranges?

If you say they don't, then you my friend are engaging in what is known as "a double standard" by your definition

The fact of the matter is that we have different expectations for apples and oranges - just as most of the world has different expectations for the roles that Bruschi and Reiss each play

That's not a double standard - in fact, if you asserted apples and oranges are different but Bruschi and Reiss are the same then THAT would be a double standard

No offense - but I don't think you seem to comprehend the nature of what I'm talking about at ALL

And that, is a perfect example of why ESPN remains the most profitable sports network - because they feed the masses only what they know they can digest, and such nuances of sports journalism are lost on most

Do apples taste the same as oranges?

If you say they don't, then you my friend are engaging in what is known as "a double standard" by your definition

The fact of the matter is that we have different expectations for apples and oranges - just as most of the world has different expectations for the roles that Bruschi and Reiss each play

That's not a double standard - in fact, if you asserted apples and oranges are different but Bruschi and Reiss are the same then THAT would be a double standard

No offense - but I don't think you seem to comprehend the nature of what I'm talking about at ALL

And that, is a perfect example of why ESPN remains the most profitable sports network - because they feed the masses only what they know they can digest, and such nuances of sports journalism are lost on most
Jesus, guy, you don't know what a double standard is. This isn't even debatable at this point.

Having different expectations regarding the taste of fruit has nothing to do with a double standard. It has everything to do with their actual taste. That this is the example you came up with makes me feel sorry for you.

A fruity double standard would be: "People who like oranges are stupid. Except for Tedy Bruschi. He's great and gets tons of Vitamin C."

But, yeah, you sure have a handle on this. You're sooooo much smarter than those mouthbreathing ESPN viewers. In fact, I'm going to go look up "nuance" in the dictionary!

Last edited:
Isn't Tedy a commentator? I do not see or hear him "reporting" on anything.

Um - watch out... our friend up above will be accusing you of having a double standard

Not only does he not understand what a double standard is - he doesn't think that there's any difference in what Reiss and Bruschi do

(If he did - he'd understand that there isn't a double standard when you hold journalists and commentators/analysist to different standards

Geesh - seems like the more wrong someone is, the more they want to insist they're right!
Jesus, guy, you don't know what a double standard is. This isn't even debatable at this point.

Having different expectations regarding the taste of fruit has nothing to do with a double standard. It has everything to do with their actual taste. That this is the example you came up with makes me feel sorry for you.

A fruity double standard would be: "People who like oranges are stupid. Except for Tedy Bruschi. He's great and gets tons of Vitamin C."

But, yeah, you sure have a handle on this. You're sooooo much smarter than those mouthbreathing ESPN viewers. In fact, I'm going to go look up "nuance" in the dictionary!

Now I KNOW you're just joking!

You get it don't you? Bruschi and Reiss are different and play different roles and we have different expectations.

Please tell me you "get" this!

Um - watch out... our friend up above will be accusing you of having a double standard

Not only does he not understand what a double standard is - he doesn't think that there's any difference in what Reiss and Bruschi do

(If he did - he'd understand that there isn't a double standard when you hold journalists and commentators/analysist to different standards

Geesh - seems like the more wrong someone is, the more they want to insist they're right!

Now I KNOW you're just joking!

You get it don't you? Bruschi and Reiss are different and play different roles and we have different expectations.

Please tell me you "get" this!
"I just can't trust anyone who receives a paycheck from Goodell's Media Mafia ... "

Have a nice night moving the goalposts. I'm off to binge watch Arrow.

Do you consider Tedy Bruschi a sports journalist?

I don't

I consider Tedy a football analyst - a former player who brings great insights into game based upon first hand experience guys like Reiss simply can't provide

I USED to consider Reiss a great sports journalist who gave as much honest and intelligent insight to the "game" BEHIND the game, as well as someone who provided intelligent commentary and reporting to the on-field analysis itself (I have to think that some of his Patriots sources might not divulge quite as much to an ESPN employee these days either!)

I think the fact that most fans confuse the two roles at all tells me all I need to know about the status of "sports journalism" period

And it seems to me that ESPN caters specifically to those who can't comprehend the difference between the two
Look, you got caught in a bit of hypocrisy, and now you're trying to worm your way out of it by playing semantical games with distinctions between analysts and journalists. Your original premise was, and I quote, "I just can't trust anyone who receives a paycheck from (ESPN)..." Tedy Bruschi receives a paycheck from ESPN.

Look, you got caught in a bit of hypocrisy, and now you're trying to worm your way out of it by playing semantical games with distinctions between analysts and journalists. Your original premise was, and I quote, "I just can't trust anyone who receives a paycheck from (ESPN)..." Tedy Bruschi receives a paycheck from ESPN.
You, like me, clearly don't "get it."

"I just can't trust anyone who receives a paycheck from Goodell's Media Mafia ... "

Have a nice night moving the goalposts. I'm off to binge watch Arrow.

Back to that huh? I said I didn't trust Reiss and Bruschi is deminished working for ESPN but he's also not a reporter.

You seem to think that this, and the recognition of the different roles sports journalists and analysts/commentators play is an illustration of whatever you think a "double standard" is

I'm going to guess that "Arrow" isn't on PBS - would I be right?

Let me try to make this even MORE simple for you

Google "Bruschi defends Brady"

You'll find more than a few references

Google "Reiss defends Brady"

You'll be hard pressed to find anything - much less any journalistic references to the seemingly endless lies and incongruities of both the NFL, Goodell and most especially ESPN - so much so that in any of the few times Reiss even hinted at ESPN/Goodell being wrong it was major news around here and we even saw that Reiss' editors were reigning in even the smallest reference to NFL allegations being untrue.

That's pretty damning for Reiss - seeing as Reiss is a sports journalist (supposedly) and Bruschi just a commentator/analyst). Pretty much crickets from Reiss reporting on Goodell and ESPN's corruption.

You simply can't look at Reiss for honest sports reporting.

You CAN look at Bruschi for quality game-day commentary.

Does this REALLY not make sense to you? You REALLY think that's the definition of a "double standard"?

I give up though - I've tried to explain it as simply as I can...

(By the way - I'm also not expecting the mail room clerk at ESPN to be reporting on Goodell's corruption - though I actually trust that he'll perform his role well for ESPN - that's NOT a double standard either - is any of this sinking in?)

Last edited:
Actually I think Tedy has any monetary compensation from them direct deposited into one of his charities' accounts. Anyway, I find that apples sometimes get soggy when they're sitting with cut oranges for too long. I mean, I like both, but not usually together. Let's agree that they're both good for you and that BSPN is a waste of time...I do appreciate things like this being brought up; to discourage it is one more step toward book-burning.

I hate ALL MEDIA They are all turds. Reiss is ok with me though.

So what? If you can't trust anything from ESPN no matter what, ever, then Teddy is as suspect as anyone else.

But the whole question is stupid because Mike Reiss has never done anything to warrant this over the top reaction other than work for an outfit that we don't generally like. That hasn't stopped him from being arguably the go to guy for regular info on what's going on with the team. Clearly, the team hasn't got the slightest problem with him.

Actually I think Tedy has any monetary compensation from them direct deposited into one of his charities' accounts. Anyway, I find that apples sometimes get soggy when they're sitting with cut oranges for too long. I mean, I like both, but not usually together. Let's agree that they're both good for you and that BSPN is a waste of time...I do appreciate things like this being brought up; to discourage it is one more step toward book-burning.
Silly me. I thought I was replying to Joe Six Pat when, in reality, I was replying to you. Thanks for setting me straight.

Silly me. I thought I was replying to Joe Six Pat when, in reality, I was replying to you. Thanks for setting me straight.
Anyway it's nice to be free of hateful, trivial, nitpicking, negative attacks from people online.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back