PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Eric Alexander

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yea, they asked a lot of him for his first start.

I've watched the AFCCG a few times and never understood the criticism of him on this board; but what the heck . a scape goat is always nice.
What I saw was:
a) Good tackling
b) Very aggressive play, which may have hurt later when he began to wear down since he didn't have any subs.
c) A great pass and catch by Clark who he had blanketed.
d) Burned on a deep out by Clark late in the game; he was gassed at that point and there was no pass rush which allowed the deep pattern to develop.

While the bottom line was disappointing I think there is a lot of promise there and would not be surprised to see him in the rotation. For those who think Lua is going to beat him out I think they are going to be disappointed.
I concur.

Watching the Snow Bowl replay the other day, I recall Gumbal/Simms talking about Bruschi and how he told them he made a place for himself on the roster with his pass rush and Special Teams' play. He evolved into the instinctive ILB stud over five seasons. Alexander was praised by Vrabel for coming on strong at the end of last season - Vrabes isn't noted for talking around a subject, I'll accept the judgement of one of the Team Leaders any time.

To answer Robert Weather's question, patience, it's too early to throw the LB out with the bath water - Alexander looks to be developing nicely and has more potential than Izzo as an ILB/Coverage LB reserve. If he never achieves a higher level he'll still be a successful role player for NE.

Speaking of Izzo, he looked darned good in the Snow Bowl, it's easy to see how he deserved to be Special Teams' Captain and remains a fixture on the roster. Of all the current Pats, I'd pick him to make the transition to coaching the way Don Davis did - his scout team work alone is in the best tradition of Damon Huard. :rocker:

Alexander looks to be developing nicely and has more potential than Izzo as an ILB/Coverage LB reserve.

That's not saying much.

My unborn daughter has more ILB potential than Izzo.

I think Alexander has a lot of potential..would they keep him around 3 seasons readying him if they didn't think so?? Would BB have had him start if he didn't think he was up for that task??

Last edited:
I think this guys has alot of potential and will be rotation with seau and brushi.

people see what they want to see ,even though a big rucks has been raised about the 2 catches cadwell dropped .one was a TD by jabbar but the second went for a feild goal which might have be actual difference.The plays goes tom to brown at the 7 yard line -10yr penality by jabbar illegal set and we loose a down and ball goes to 17 and cadwell drops.Even fan has noted that cadwell dropped killed the moment and not even a whisper of jabbar`s mistake at the LOSwhich might have also cost us the game.

1) I don't recall him playing up at all, never mind constantly.

2) The Red Sox are interfering with my blood pressure medication. It's time to move the team to the Phillipines and call them the Manila Folders.

1) What I mean to say, and DaBruinz has also asked me about this, is that Alexander was getting blown-up as soon as his blocker engaged him, wherever that was.

2) Whoever signs JD Drew and Julio Lugo to big-$$ deals, at the expense of Nixon and Gonzales, gets what they deserve, which is nothing. Theo = Duquette.

Which must be why she's a lock to go 12 seasons in the NFL.

Izzo should have retired after 9 seasons, after the 04 SB v. Philly.

It just seems that since it's been so long since we've had a talented young ILB, we've forgotten what one looks like.

Last edited:
Which must be why she's a lock to go 12 seasons in the NFL.

Oh please. We both know Izzo hasn't been in the league this long because of his LB play. He's a career ST. He is an absolute nothing as a LB.

What is with you guys bashing Izzo? We all know he's nothing but an emergency player at ILB, but he's a great special teams guy. Just because he sees his action on special teams doesn't mean he isn't an important player, and the continuity and leadership he's provided over the years as special teams captain has been huge.

I conclude that Eric Alexander will be a part of the LB rotation this season, or at a minimum that he is being counted upon as the #1 backup.

Why?

The team needs 4 LBs on the field for every play. There are only 5 LBs on the team with NFL-starting-LB credentials; everyone else is either a Special Teams lifer or a very young UDFA type. Moreover, two of the veteran first-team types (Seau & Bruschi) are old, injury prone, and arguably best suited to situational roles. The fact that under these circumstances the Pats have not brought in another veteran suggests to me that they believe that at least one of their ST/UDFA guys can step in and start when a man goes down (or before). There is one big reason to suspect that Alexander is the one they have in mind : BB started Alexander in the AFC title game! That is an enormous vote of confidence.

I conclude that Eric Alexander will be a part of the LB rotation this season, or at a minimum that he is being counted upon as the #1 backup.

Why?

The team needs 4 LBs on the field for every play. There are only 5 LBs on the team with NFL-starting-LB credentials; everyone else is either a Special Teams lifer or a very young UDFA type. Moreover, two of the veteran first-team types (Seau & Bruschi) are old, injury prone, and arguably best suited to situational roles. The fact that under these circumstances the Pats have not brought in another veteran suggests to me that they believe that at least one of their ST/UDFA guys can step in and start when a man goes down (or before). There is one big reason to suspect that Alexander is the one they have in mind : BB started Alexander in the AFC title game! That is an enormous vote of confidence.

Sorry, but you are wrong on several accounts. The Pats only need 4 LBs on the field when they are in their base defense. When they move to the nickle and dime packages, that number dwindles to 3 and 2 respectively.

As for Bruschi being injury prone, where the hell did THAT come from? What, because he had a hole in his heart and had a stroke and then suffered a major wrist injury he's injury prone now? Damn, I guess that Vrabel, Colvin, and even Seymour should be considered injury prone. Why not add Eugene Wilson to since 2 of his 3 injuries have been of the catastrophic nature.. Add Matt Light and Dan Koppen to.

Now, as for BB starting Alexander in the AFCCG, he really didn't have much of a choice, did he? Chad Scott wasn't available to line up on Dallas Clark. And the Pats were already short at other positions also. Alexander was the best of a bad situation. I think that Alexander earned the start the same way that TBC earned his "starting" role during the season. It was given to him by default.

This explains your other posts. I guess I'm safe putting you on ignore without missing anything of substance, even during the NFL dead period.

Pardon me for offending you by exposing Theo the PC Boy Blunder for what he is.

I'm curious, though, about what he is to you: a cousin, nephew...?

Buh-bye.

DaBruinz has it right in my eyes - Alexander was purely starter by default in the AFCCG. The dude had the chance to assert himself but instead was either invisible or getting scorched. He didn't need to be the second coming of Derrick Brooks but when the coach says this is finally your game, you need to do more with opportunity than EA did.

I bet he could disappear from the defense tomorrow and it would not make one noticable difference.

I appreciate his ST play and hope he continues to contribute - that's the place he can still make a mark. But unless he has a complete DNA transfusion, I don't think anyone should expect much from Alexander on defense, nor should anyone hold that against him, he just doesn't have the tools.

Now, as for BB starting Alexander in the AFCCG, he really didn't have much of a choice, did he? Chad Scott wasn't available to line up on Dallas Clark. And the Pats were already short at other positions also. Alexander was the best of a bad situation. I think that Alexander earned the start the same way that TBC earned his "starting" role during the season. It was given to him by default.[/QUOTE]

* BB had other some other options like keeping Tully in the lineup. Chad Scott was credited with a tackle so he must have been available. Where the Patriots doubled up on Wayne and Harrison almost the whole game to take them out of it, the safeties weren't there to help a LB downfield. I don't think that any of the Patriots LB's would have been able to cover Clark. Many players get thier 1st start by default. If it's in the AFCC game against the #1b QB in the NFL in the same situation most would have problems. I don't now what his future will be and I'm make no prediction about it. I just don't think it's fair to say he won't make it based on that 1 game.

I've never seen that reported!

What did I overlook?
Larry frequently quarterbacks the scout team during practice, someone commented on this the other day not realizing that he's been doing this in practice for some time now. When the QBs are working with the offense elsewhere, it's nice to have someone who can simulate the opposition for the defense's practice. When he does retire, I wouldn't be surprised to see him don an old hoodie and a whistle to prowl the practice field.

Oh please. We both know Izzo hasn't been in the league this long because of his LB play. He's a career ST. He is an absolute nothing as a LB.
Which is why he's part of the goal line package, because BB knows he stinks at LB and should only be used in critical situations. Who pee'd in your cheerios, you've had a bad case of sour grapes these past few weeks?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Back