PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

End of half, Gost let Brady of hook with missed FG

Status
Not open for further replies.

stevedogc

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
Pats snapped the ball with :40 left on clock on a 3rd and 2 on the NYJ 35 yard line, Brady completed a 14 yard pass to Hogan for a first down. They then let 28 seconds tick of the clock before the next play, which was an incomplete pass to Mitchell at the goal line. Leaving the Pats with 6 seconds left in the half for a 39 yard FG attempt from Gost. All of this with a timeout left. Not to take blame away from Gost, 39 yard FG should be automatic for any capable NFL kicker. But Gosts struggles have been no secret this season and the Pats managed the clock pretty bad there. Not the first time this season.

*Edit - taking into account the pass to Hogan, they didn't let 28 seconds tick of the clock. But still at least 15-20, and they had a time out left.

We also waited long to call the to before the 2 min warning there. I think it was called around 2:11 but could have been called around 2:20 which would have allowed us to get the stop and take over before 2 min warning, allowing an extra to. So id put a little on brady and a little on the coaches.

The bigger blunder was on the first drive not only not hurrying to get a quick snap, but TAKING A TIMEOUT to allow jets to challenge the terrible spot . That was cleveland brown level stupidity there, luckily these moments are usually few and far in between.

It was horrific. They deserved to miss the kick. I'm thrilled they came back to win but letting the clock tick down from 30 seconds (approximately when the T.O. could have been called) was horrendous and could have cost the game.

It was horrific. They deserved to miss the kick. I'm thrilled they came back to win but letting the clock tick down from 30 seconds (approximately when the T.O. could have been called) was horrendous and could have cost the game.
They had one timeout. You save that for the FG.

We also waited long to call the to before the 2 min warning there. I think it was called around 2:11 but could have been called around 2:20 which would have allowed us to get the stop and take over before 2 min warning, allowing an extra to. So id put a little on brady and a little on the coaches.

The bigger blunder was on the first drive not only not hurrying to get a quick snap, but TAKING A TIMEOUT to allow jets to challenge the terrible spot . That was cleveland brown level stupidity there, luckily these moments are usually few and far in between.
Yeah. I was scratching my head a lot yesterday.

No, they could have had 30 seconds with a first down. Enough time to stop the clock with a spike if necessary. Abysmal situational football. Glad they won.
You save the timeout for the FG.

This was absolutely mind-boggling. To walk into half time with that timeout in your pocket is really beyond explanation. BB and the coaching staff have to be looked at first and then TB. I think with respect to end of half / end of game timeouts, based on what I've seen, it looks like TB HAS TO LET BB make that choice. Very rarely will you see TB run up to the official to call timeout like you see with other team's QBs. I believe that is a coaching decision and coaching decision only. I think TB's hands were tied on that one before the half.

BB's clock management issues seem to come up every year. Not sure why he or the coaches haven't addressed some of the before half and end of game mishaps regarding the clock.

Pats had a legitimate chance to get in the end zone before half time yesterday, never mind worrying about sending out your confidence questioned kicker for a FG had they automatically called the timeout right after Hogan's first down catch. Instead BB just watched those precious seconds tick away.

I think that's on the coaches.

Normally, Brady's an additional coach on the field. But something was certainly off with him for at least the first half yesterday.

He pulled it together and led two impressive drives to win and seal the game, but even then he looked like he was having a lot of trouble getting up from the two "knees" to end the game...maybe the Pats should have a "Designated Kneeler." :D (That's a joke.)

This was absolutely mind-boggling. To walk into half time with that timeout in your pocket is really beyond explanation. BB and the coaching staff have to be looked at first and then TB. I think with respect to end of half / end of game timeouts, based on what I've seen, it looks like TB HAS TO LET BB make that choice. Very rarely will you see TB run up to the official to call timeout like you see with other team's QBs. I believe that is a coaching decision and coaching decision only. I think TB's hands were tied on that one before the half.

BB's clock management issues seem to come up every year. Not sure why he or the coaches haven't addressed some of the before half and end of game mishaps regarding the clock.

Pats had a legitimate chance to get in the end zone before half time yesterday, never mind worrying about sending out your confidence questioned kicker for a FG had they automatically called the timeout right after Hogan's first down catch. Instead BB just watched those precious seconds tick away.
Too much Thanksgiving Turkey.

BB said pats/jets are supposed to be close, thats why he didnt want to take the lead into HT ;)

ok actually, he said in press conf he didnt want them to substitute, hence no timeout...

No, they could have had 30 seconds with a first down. Enough time to stop the clock with a spike if necessary. Abysmal situational football. Glad they won.
"Horrific?" "Horrendous?" "Abysmal?"

There were a lot of things they could have done better, especially in the first half, yesterday, clock management among them. But sometimes even highly paid professionals show up at the office and have "off" days. They had a cross country flight...then Thanksgiving. A couple of injuries that weren't fully healed. But I reserve horrific, horrendous and abysmal for a lot worse things.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents