PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Edelman's extension

Status
Not open for further replies.
Picture if Edelman had an entire offseason and training camp as a starting WR rather than a PR who gets 2nd/3rd team reps? He could be a hell of a player in 2014.

BB let WW go foolishly, I believe and hope that he won't make the same mistake and let the next Wes/Troy leave in his prime.

Picture if Edelman had an entire offseason and training camp as a starting WR rather than a PR who gets 2nd/3rd team reps? He could be a hell of a player in 2014.

BB let WW go foolishly, I believe and hope that he won't make the same mistake and let the next Wes/Troy leave in his prime.

BB didnt let welker go, he chose to leave for a smaller contract after incentives that he would have easily hit.

BB didnt let welker go, he chose to leave for a smaller contract after incentives that he would have easily hit.

You guys need to get your stories straight, half of you say he left for less and the other half says he left for more. Bottom line, the Patriots could have kept him but chose not to, and the same will be the case with Edelman. The Patriots have the money to keep him because their WR unit is among the lowest paid on the team, whether or not they choose to keep him is up to them, I doubt anyone will offer him 50 million.

Players like Edelman are available every draft ... he's like around 30th in the NFL. He is valuable to us because we have a great QB ... he may not be as good in another system where they have greater needs. Also it's way to risky to overpay a slot receiver ... just about the most dangerous offensive position in the NFL. I agree with PatFanKen ... on what Julian is worth and his reasoning..

I drove the bus for Edelman for 3 years. However I NEVER said he was anything more than a solid NFL WR and an elite PR. I think the Pats would be happy to sign him to a 4 year contract in the $2.5-3MM range with some incentives for snaps and production. Unfortunately he's likely going to be looking in the 4-5MM range, and with this season's production and the Patriot's cachet, he might get it.

I think it would be a mistake for him though. He has one year of solid production, and one year of good health. I think he's in line to become one of those try hard players that New Englander's love to latch on to. His long term economic gains by staying here would far outweigh any short term gains he would make elsewhere. Being Brady's Minitron could become a brand.

Besides, with the 3 rookies plus DA under contract, plus BB's well know belief (and mine) that WR's are the most easily replaceable position in the league, he isn't going to be negotiating from a position of strength.

But regardless of what happens next year, the important thing is that Edelman has proved me correct. And as we all know here, that's what REALLY matters :D

Actually, I'd suggest the David Givens argument applies to Edelman. His next contract may be a large fraction of his lifetime earnings. If he's unlucky in injury, just the guaranteed part may be a large fraction of his lifetime earnings. So he's probably best off getting as much money as he can, or close to it.

Players like Edelman are available every draft ... he's like around 30th in the NFL. He is valuable to us because we have a great QB ... he may not be as good in another system where they have greater needs. Also it's way to risky to overpay a slot receiver ... just about the most dangerous offensive position in the NFL. I agree with PatFanKen ... on what Julian is worth and his reasoning..

I come in around 4 a year with good guaranteed money but i believe someone will go higher than that. Belichick will set a price and stick to it. The Patriots can afford him if they want to match but i don't see them doing that. The thing that is making him more valuable than he was in the past is that now Brady is looking to him in the most critical moments, as he did the other day with the big third down and TD late in the fourth quarter, and Edelman is delivering. The big flaw in his game imo is the long ball, where he has a tendency to slow down when tracking the ball and end up a step short. I have seen him do this a number of times this season and it has cost them some big plays, but other than that he has had a really good season.

Besides, with the 3 rookies plus DA under contract, plus BB's well know belief (and mine) that WR's are the most easily replaceable position in the league, he isn't going to be negotiating from a position of strength.

Not when it comes to playing in New England. I can count on one hand the number of effective receivers we've had since the Moss/Welker seasons that truly understand how to play in our system and how to play with Brady and thereby earning his trust (which we know is hard to come by).

Edelman is one of them. He needs to stay and he will. I don't think anyone involved wants another Welker fiasco.

I think getting less money but guaranteed is a great upgrade for him.

He's had problems staying health his previous 4 years and last off season he got a deal by the skin of his teeth after working out for the Giants and getting nothing.

If he look back less than one year ago no one wanted his services and even BB took some time to offer him a deal. OK things change fast in NFL but can change backwards too. I think he is dynamic enough to fit a role on a lot of teams, playing with Brady helps a lot though.

Here's an offbeat possibility: Keep Edelman; trade Amendola.

That kind of thing is much more common in other sports than football. One argument against might be that it IS uncommon, and would be seen as a betrayal of Amendola's choice to sign here. Still, it might make a certain amount of sense.

Here's an offbeat possibility: Keep Edelman; trade Amendola.

That kind of thing is much more common in other sports than football. One argument against might be that it IS uncommon, and would be seen as a betrayal of Amendola's choice to sign here. Still, it might make a certain amount of sense.

It makes no sense at all. What Amendola could be we saw in that first game against the bills where he dominated. Amendola right now is an injured player (groin) who will need surgery in the off-season playing injured because his team needs him.

It's funny to me how people love Edelman now. A lot of you didn't last year because of injuries. I bet the same people who are saying trade Amendola now will be praising him next year when he blows it up every game.

It makes no sense at all. What Amendola could be we saw in that first game against the bills where he dominated. Amendola right now is an injured player (groin) who will need surgery in the off-season playing injured because his team needs him.

It's funny to me how people love Edelman now. A lot of you didn't last year because of injuries. I bet the same people who are saying trade Amendola now will be praising him next year when he blows it up every game.

And further more if more posters would utilize Miguel's resources they could easily discover that Amendola would chew up more cap space if cut or traded than if kept, until the 2015 season. So he'll be a Patriot next year unless he pulls a Terry Glenn or Aaron Hernandez.

Why would Edelman accept an extension he believes to be below market value?

Same reasons anyone else would: because he likes the team he plays for, he likes the coach who gave him a shot in the first place, and (as Welker found out) he'll be a lot more productive in the Pats' system, which some players never really grasp, and which relies heavily on the slot receiver.

They should think about cutting bait with Amendola if they can, as he brings nothing to the table that Edelman doesn't have.

Edit: just saw unoriginal's post. Well, I guess Amendola has another year to prove he's worth 5 million per.

And further more if more posters would utilize Miguel's resources they could easily discover that Amendola would chew up more cap space if cut or traded than if kept, until the 2015 season. So he'll be a Patriot next year unless he pulls a Terry Glenn or Aaron Hernandez.

Or renegotiates his contract downward.

My wish list:

1. Sign Edelman for 4 - 4.5M a year
2. trade up and draft one of the stud WRs this year. I would love to see a draft a physical WR like Mike Evans. We can't replace Gronk and Aaron with any player
3. Sign Jared Allen (after he gets released). Hopefully he takes less money.
4. Re-sign Talib
5. Draft an O-Lineman in round 2

I think with the development of Thompkins, Dobson, and Boyce, WR is way down on the list of draft needs.

Amazingly, even with all the TEs they've drafted over the past handful of years, I think it's perhaps the most glaring area of need. That and interior OL.

You guys need to get your stories straight, half of you say he left for less and the other half says he left for more. Bottom line, the Patriots could have kept him but chose not to, and the same will be the case with Edelman. The Patriots have the money to keep him because their WR unit is among the lowest paid on the team, whether or not they choose to keep him is up to them, I doubt anyone will offer him 50 million.

The only way the patriots could have chosen to keep him is offer him twice what we was worth, or franchise him for 3 times his value.

He was offered an above market value contract, he turned it down. its not like the patriots didnt give him an offer, welker walked away. plain and simple

Honestly, at this point, Edelman IS a hell of a player. Great, great punt returner, very good hands, tough as nails, pretty doggone fast, can run all the routes, from the outside to the slot, great YAC. He's not big, so that limits him some, but really, he can do pretty much everything you need.

Plus he's a former college QB. I'd love for them to have one trick play where he catches a WR screen and then throws a bomb, kind of like what the Steelers used to do with Randle El.

Not when it comes to playing in New England. I can count on one hand the number of effective receivers we've had since the Moss/Welker seasons that truly understand how to play in our system and how to play with Brady and thereby earning his trust (which we know is hard to come by).

Edelman is one of them. He needs to stay and he will. I don't think anyone involved wants another Welker fiasco.
Moss has been gone 4 years, and Welker 1. You can also count on 1 hand the ones that couldn't play because they couldn't get our system.

The only way the patriots could have chosen to keep him is offer him twice what we was worth, or franchise him for 3 times his value.

He was offered an above market value contract, he turned it down. its not like the patriots didnt give him an offer, welker walked away. plain and simple

No offense, but you have no way of knowing any of this. And there's no way to truly define "market value" in football. Part of it will always be subjective and numerous non-money-related factors determine where a lot of guys end up. Time to forget about Welker (unless he burns us in the PO's), other than to just say [again] that everyone lost on that deal.

No offense, but you have no way of knowing any of this. And there's no way to truly define "market value" in football.

except for the fact that we saw him hit the freemarket, we saw the three contracts he was offered from 3 different teams including the patriots, we know welker signed for 2 years 6 million per at denver with no incentives.

He was offered 2 years at 10 million from the patriots, with incentives up to 16 million, 8 per year if he hits his marks.

Tennesee offered him 2 years 15 million.

Market value based on these numbers is 6.1 million a year. The contract he accepted was below that, and the contract he rejected from the patriots was 2 million over market value if he hit the incentives, which if he played at the same level he was playing at before he would have hit.

These are not debatable questions, they are facts. welker left for less overall money. the only way he would have stayed is if the patriots offered him guaranteed money in the 8-9 million range with no incentives, and the only way to guarantee that welker wouldnt walk away would be to franchise him for the second year in a row giving him a cap number of nearly 12 million.

the only thing up for debate is whether welker wanted to leave, or if his agent screwed up badly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes