PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Edelman: "Jimmy G is a stud"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Get the 1st for JG
Use the bounty provided by this extra pick (trade down/trade into next year/wash rinse repeat) to draft a QB every year indefinitely to find the next GOAT
Simple :) ......at no extra cost

This approach wouldn't surprise at all, and sounds smart. If BB gets a first, he probably trades down into two seconds (or similar) and takes a QB with one of them.

Because it's not simple anymore.

Yes, it is that simple.

The next time Brady goes down for an extended period of time could be the last time he ever plays.

The same is true for every player in the NFL.

A distinct chance exists that neither Brady nor Garroppolo is available to this team by week 5 next season.

That's true whether you keep both, trade one or trade both.

Some hard choices need to be made here.

Not really. You don't trade Brady. After that, there's only one choice remaining to be made: Trade JAG while his value is high, or Keep JAG as insurance for one more year.

Trading a young talented QB that has grown up in the Pats' complex Erhardt Perkins system would, in my opinion, be a franchise altering mistake. The Pats should hold onto JG at all costs. They have the cap space & JG is represented by Brady's agent. There should be no higher priority than sitting down with Yee & working out an arrangement that will ensure that JG follows Brady, securing another 10 year championship window.

Remember the sheer joy emanating from Jimmy when he finally, finally got to take the field and play football? He is ready to be a starting QB, multiple teams would be happy to make him their starting QB, and HE WANTS TO PLAY.

I don't think that working out financial terms is the issue. And frankly, any agent who works out a deal for a highly competitive, starter-ready QB to languish on the bench for years is guilty of malpractice. (Not to mention, on the financial front: an ultra-photogenic QB rakes in additional $millions as the face of a franchise.)

The timing just doesn't work out to keep him around, unfortunately. It has to be Brady or Garoppolo.

IMO: Brady's successor is playing in college (or high school). JG is gone in the Spring. Jacoby will continue to improve and become an excellent backup. Birds are singing for the Pats!

It has to be Brady or Garoppolo.

But we don't have to make that call this offseason. We can def keep him this year without a major cap sacrifice. Make sure Jimmy G gets some opportunities to showcase himself over the course of the next season to keep his value high, but keep him around.

Besides, Brady thrives in a competitive environment, keeping him around ensures that Brady's always in fight-for-my-job mode and we're more likely to see the very best Brady has to offer. Not that he needs the help to be great, but no harm giving the old fella that little extra bit of incentive to ward off complacency.

Of course you're here to troll. Your posts make that obvious.
Oh dear. You don't like my argument so I'm clearly trolling. You're one of those.

Alright, duly noted. That's what you are. Have a good day.

I just don't understand why non-Patriots fans quickly dismiss Garropolo as "a product of Belichick" and "another Ryan Mallett or Brian Hoyer". Like...the difference between Garropolo-led offense vs. Brissett-led offense was huge, did none of them watch Garropolo play? People are so appalled when they hear that teams may offer first round picks for Garropolo but I and many Patriots fans agree that Garropolo is really talented. If it weren't for the fact that he's replacing Brady, not any other QB in the league, he would have been the starting QB right now.

Bear in mind Flash -- for the first few years, everyone was saying Brady was a product of Belichick too. So Jimmy G is in good company there.

Frankly if the head coach can work with a guy and there's a strong mutual trust factor there, that's something that you have to think about when making these decisions. Especially when the head coach is a guy like BB who clearly knows what he's doing.

Brady is the GOAT because he had just enough talent to allow him to be one of the smartest QB's ever to play the game and make that work. Jimmy G seems to have a good head on him to go with the talent, maybe not quite Brady good, but good enough to win football games with a good roster around him, and for years, that's all that a lot of us thought Brady was.

Last edited:
Too much hang up on Brady's age. We are in an age where people are doing amazing athletic things at older and older ages. This was not some broken down Manning unable to throw an out pattern we saw Sunday. Brady looked better physically than many QBs 5-7 years younger. Sure he could get hurt - but he continues to play at a high level. Most people who says he is "going to fall off a cliff" actually are hoping he falls off a cliff. The timing did not work for JG in NE - he wants/needs to play. Get value for him and move on.

In the modern NFL, the only position that really matters is QB. BB has shown that he can win with a great QB and "value" talent at all other positions.

Trading a young talented QB that has grown up in the Pats' complex Erhardt Perkins system would, in my opinion, be a franchise altering mistake. The Pats should hold onto JG at all costs. They have the cap space & JG is represented by Brady's agent. There should be no higher priority than sitting down with Yee & working out an arrangement that will ensure that JG follows Brady, securing another 10 year championship window.
You've gotta trade him at some point. He can't stay much longer if Brady continues to play at a high level. NOW is the time to get the highest return on JG.

Unless you think Brady declines this upcoming season or next, JG isn't staying.

You've gotta trade him at some point. He can't stay much longer if Brady continues to play at a high level. NOW is the time to get the highest return on JG.

Unless you think Brady declines this upcoming season or next, JG isn't staying.
Too much hang up on Brady's age. We are in an age where people are doing amazing athletic things at older and older ages. This was not some broken down Manning unable to throw an out pattern we saw Sunday. Brady looked better physically than many QBs 5-7 years younger. Sure he could get hurt - but he continues to play at a high level. Most people who says he is "going to fall off a cliff" actually are hoping he falls off a cliff. The timing did not work for JG in NE - he wants/needs to play. Get value for him and move on.

As much as I love Tom Brady and have been behind him throughout the Brady era, we're talking about a 40 year old here. Once a player hits 40 you have to take him year by year. He might indeed have 5 years left in his career, but this franchise is only going to be finding that out 1 year at a time, and has to identify the benchmarks Brady has to meet to keep his job in each of those seasons.

Brady has earned the right to be the starting QB next year by winning the Superbowl. We'll see what he earns for the following year in his play next year. That's how you have to do it with older QB's. And keeping a guy in the wings who's ready to take over at a moment's notice is not an optional thing with a guy that old, especially in football.

I'm cool with trading Jimmy G, even though I think it'll bite us in the butt within the next 5 years, if the franchise then hits pay dirt with the replacement they draft. Since you can't guarantee that, and we're going to be taking Brady year by year for the rest of his Patriots career, I'm anxious about dealing a bird in the hand for 2 in the bush.

Oh dear. You don't like my argument so I'm clearly trolling. You're one of those.

Alright, duly noted. That's what you are. Have a good day.

I didn't call you a troll out of the blue. You asserted that you weren't trolling. I, having seen you making the same argument on different threads, disagreed with your claim.

My position had nothing to do with liking, or not liking, your argument. It had everything to do with noting that you're deliberately making the same provocative attempt at an argument in multiple threads, and then insisting you're not trolling in the process.

I didn't call you a troll out of the blue. You asserted that you weren't trolling. I, having seen you making the same argument on different threads, disagreed with your claim.

My position had nothing to do with liking, or not liking, your argument. It had everything to do with noting that you're deliberately making the same provocative attempt at an argument in multiple threads, and then insisting you're not trolling in the process.
Yes I am trying to provoke. Specifically, I'm trying to provoke people into thinking about something because it's hard for fans of Brady to think past the Tom Brady era. I have made every effort to be respectful and stick to the facts and points of my argument while doing so. If that is "trolling" to you, your definition of what a troll is is ludicrously overbroad.

Your choice to resort to personal attacks (and yes, calling me a troll *is* a personal attack) rather than stick to the argument at hand is more of a troll attempt than anything I have said on this thread, or any other thread on this forum.

Yes I am trying to provoke. Specifically, I'm trying to provoke people into thinking about something because it's hard for fans of Brady to think past the Tom Brady era.

Now, see, that second sentence is both incendiary (which is fine, but runs counter to the "respectful" notion) and stupid (as it needlessly and inaccurately characterizes all Brady fans in one manner, when this board has demonstrated, for years, that it has an understanding of what the post-Brady possibilities are). I've been following this team since long before Brady's arrival, and I know how much it sucks when the team blows. I also know, however, that every team in NFL history falls off at some point, and I understand that you might as well get the most out of your best run, because when it's over, it's over.

Just ask Dallas, Pittsburgh, Buffalo, Oakland, Green Bay, Miami and San Francisco.

I have made every effort to be respectful and stick to the facts and points of my argument while doing so. If that is "trolling" to you, your definition of what a troll is is ludicrously overbroad.

First, being "respectful" isn't the same as not trolling. Second, you seem to be confusing facts with your opinions. Also, when your version of "facts" runs like this:

Once a player hits 40 you have to take him year by year. He might indeed have 5 years left in his career, but this franchise is only going to be finding that out 1 year at a time, and has to identify the benchmarks Brady has to meet to keep his job in each of those seasons.

You're not actually saying anything, because those "facts" are true of every NFL player, at every age.

Edit: And for the record, I've said many times here (you can look it up) that I don't have a problem with trolling, per se. I have a problem with lousy trolling, and I did not accuse you of being a lousy troll.

Last edited:
Yes, that's right. Every player of that age.

Including Tom Brady.

Which is as good a reason as I can think of to have a solid replacement QB ready at all times.

Or do you really think I'm trolling simply because I take the time to clarify my premise before making my argument?

Oh ****, Edelman's on NE's payroll like this guy...
Schefter_Adam_bio1.jpg

:D

This approach wouldn't surprise at all, and sounds smart. If BB gets a first, he probably trades down into two seconds (or similar) and takes a QB with one of them.

I would start taking QBs starting next year this year no good qbs worth it

he's still got a drop or so of gas in the tank

To my eye TB has more than a drop or so left. Call me a pliability cultist. Hell, I may just try avocado ice cream.

Pending franchising Jimmy, don't the Patriots still risk him walking next year? Maybe I'm not sure how the tag works exactly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick