Edelman: "Jimmy G is a stud"

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldrover

"You're gonna have to serve somebody..."
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Edelman: Garoppolo has Favre-Rodgers 'confidence'

"I'm not a paid GM so I don't know the whole value thing, but as far as a guy that I could play with every single day, Jimmy Garoppolo, I mean, the guy's a stud," Edelman said Tuesday on NFL Network's Total Access. "He went out and played in the regular season and he played very well. He's got that kind of gunslinger confidence. That Brett Favre, Aaron Rodgers kind of confidence. He practices hard, he prepares hard. He's a good kid. He's young. I think he's a good player."

new-england-patriots-bill-belichick-phone.jpg

"Thanks, Jules. Oops... gotta go... San Fran's calling."

:)

Last edited:
Garapolo has one OTHER critical attribute that you can't help not notice that hasn't been mentioned much. He teammates LOVE to play for him. Just rellok at the post game locker room clip and see how his teammates react to him.

So much about being a good QB is more than than arm strength, how quick your release is, and your stats. You NEED your QB to be able to get his team to believe in him. You need him to make them want to make plays for him. And in the 2 games JG played it was clear for anyone who wanted to look, JG HAS that ability.

It's unfortunate for him, that in 99 times out of a 100, he would BE the next QB of the Patriots.after next season. But Tom Brady really is that one in a hundred guy, who will play at a high level for another 2 or 3 years and, in the end, the timing just wasn't right for the Pats to keep him. It's as simple as that.

Jules just says what Coach asks him to say. JG is a chump :rolleyes:

Of course he is a stud, he is sexy Aladdin.

Kidding aside, as Ken said, 99/100 he would be the future. Now, we have thay Brady guy that looks like he could give us 3-4 more good/great years. Hopefully we can trade him and get key pieces that will enable us to win one or two more championships in the Brady era.

I really like what I saw from Jimmy. Poised, patient, smart, can make all throws, moves well. The physical attributes are there and he seems to have all the mental qualities as well. It is really a shame that the timing is what it is... but we have the GOAT and should be thankful for that.

Hopefully we can find the next guy and groom him under TB for 2-3 years. Too bad the QBs of this year's draft suck :(

I'm not comfortable trading him. Mostly because I don't think Brisset is an NFL QB ( In case TB was injured).
But neither was Garapolo in HIS first year. NO ONE knows how Brissett will develop over the next 2 years. But regardless of the kind of player he happens to become, only THEN would be the right time to compare him to JG.

So, even though you don't think he can player, ALL indications seem to be that BB thinks he, at worst, has the potential to be the next Pats QB.

I would hate to trade Jimmy. Guy could give us another solid ten years of 9 win - 12 win seasons with the right coach with a losing season inbetween and a SB win.

Agree. I am very torn about trading him. As much as my mouth is watering at the prospect of a huge draft haul, I would certainly not be unhappy if they held onto him. It probably boils down to what they feel like they have with Brissett. They probably have a good feel for that now.

Garapolo has one OTHER critical attribute that you can't help not notice that hasn't been mentioned much. He teammates LOVE to play for him. Just rellok at the post game locker room clip and see how his teammates react to him.

So much about being a good QB is more than than arm strength, how quick your release is, and your stats. You NEED your QB to be able to get his team to believe in him. You need him to make them want to make plays for him. And in the 2 games JG played it was clear for anyone who wanted to look, JG HAS that ability.

It's unfortunate for him, that in 99 times out of a 100, he would BE the next QB of the Patriots.after next season. But Tom Brady really is that one in a hundred guy, who will play at a high level for another 2 or 3 years and, in the end, the timing just wasn't right for the Pats to keep him. It's as simple as that.

If thats the case then it doesn't make sense to keep Brady pass next season, why would you trade away (if he is but lets imagine so) a franchise elite QB who is 25/26 over a QB who has 2-3 years left even if its Brady.

I know its sounds tough but imagine this its 2020 and we suck losing games post Brady retirement meanwhile JG is lighting up somewhere else then people will be making threads in 2020 saying we should have traded Brady after 2017 or Brady should of retired after '17 and kept Jimmy.

All this assuming JG is the real deal unless all this hype is just propaganda to increase trade value cause to be honest if JG is the real deal and a elite QB no way would BB in 2018 choose a 41yr old QB over a 26yr old elite QB.

Nothing about it spells long term solution lets be honest, and honestly I think its just all hype to increase trade value because like I said there would be no way in hell they would let an 25yr old elite QB go when Brady will be 41 in '18 and JG will be 26 I know its Brady but theres no common sense in that.

What about two years later in 2020 like I said Bradys retired and we fall off a cliff and JG is lighting up somewhere else and having to put up with articles analysis slamming us for trading him back in '17 now that Bradys retired and how we're enduring losing seasons, gotta think long term.

But overall if its just hype to increase trade value which I believe than trade (not buying the Jimmy hype he had hot start which I would credit our coaches and system, could be wrong he could be legit) but if hes legit and a elite QB top 5 worthy or close than he stays and '17 is Bradys last season (Brady 41 in 2018, Jimmy 26, so if second scenario is the case then common sense is the answer)

Time to Franchise Jimmy and see how Tom looks after next year

In the modern NFL, the only position that really matters is QB. BB has shown that he can win with a great QB and "value" talent at all other positions.

Trading a young talented QB that has grown up in the Pats' complex Erhardt Perkins system would, in my opinion, be a franchise altering mistake. The Pats should hold onto JG at all costs. They have the cap space & JG is represented by Brady's agent. There should be no higher priority than sitting down with Yee & working out an arrangement that will ensure that JG follows Brady, securing another 10 year championship window.

Next question

Did you read my 2020 point? Oh and I believe neither Jimmy or Jacoby are going to be Bradys heir apparent, the purpose of drafting Jacoby was to be a backup post Jimmy as we've done in the past when drafting QBs, there's no way they were looking for Bradys successor in the '16 draft just a QB who can play the backup role cause lets be honest that would of been a fail if they intended to have Jacoby as the heir apparent hes just another Ryan Mallet back up pick and the extra Jimmy hype is to increase trade value which is work tremendously, mark my words we will get a top 15 1 round pick for him and the way the hypes been going wouldn't be surprised if we get a top 3 or 5 pick for him

Time to Franchise Jimmy and see how Tom looks after next year

Jimmys gone and they are gonna extend Brady after next season, his heir apparent is not on this team has yet to be drafted but will in the coming years

This is another overlooked screwjob (to the team -- it's great for Jimmy!) of Deflategate. If Brady hadn't been suspended and JG never played, there's a much better chance he'd have been willing to sign another backup-level contract, and then the team could have segued from Tom to Jimmy.

Sure, Deflategate will give NE the chance to pick up (hopefully) a good draft pick for JG, but I believe it would have been better for the team to transition to JG from Tom than to have that pick and not have JG.

We'll see... (hope I'm wrong!)

Pats are caught between a rock and a hard place in regard to Goroppolo. Next year, barring injury, Brady's game is unlikely to drop off to a level where he needs to be replaced. OTOH, JG has shown enough in his two game start. Heck, I was elated at his performance. He shredded that Miami defense. He has the tools and understanding of the game equivalent to a early first round pick. So he is going to leave next year for some decent change. BB may think JG is good enough to be a good starting QB, but he has no use for him until Brady is gone. Nor can he lay out the funds. Hate to say it, JG is gone.

I think i got it mapped out on how this will pan out,

Jimmy's gonna get traded, Brady will get extended after next season, before Brady retires there will be 2 backups, Jacoby and Unknown, after Brady retires if Unknown doesn't have what it takes or is not ready Jacoby will be extended as a placeholder kinda like what Sieman is to the Broncos until they find there next franchise QB or until Unknown is ready.

Or unless Unknown is legit and ready, more than likely Jacoby will be extended in '19 incase they need a Sieman/Placeholder if they haven't found there next franchise QB yet or have someone thats ready or very possible have another QB drafted before his rookie contract is up to replace him.

So i think we will have 3 backup QBs in 2019 well 2 cause i expect us to draft a QB next year and another in '19 and trade Jacoby in '19 offseason or carry 3 backup QBs in 2019.

Yea there could be temporary mess possibly but not for long with this coaching staff they will get the ball rolling again in no time I don't foresee the early 2020s panning out like the early 90s

Last edited:
Well Peter King thinks lol... sorry but Peter King thinks the Pats will hold on to JG for 2017 season.

If they do hold on to Jimmy, you have to think they are having some talks. Lets say Brady is seriously commited to playing until he is 44-45 years old, he might get divorced but lets say he does play, and plays like a top 5 QB for the next 4 years. Best case scenario for keeping Brady.

So if the Pats instead keep Garrapolo in 2017 he is a FA in 2018.. so lets say they think Jimmy is the next guy and tell Brady sorry but its a business and he is better for the long term future of the franchise. So they trade Brady away and they go with JG in 2018.. and we all watch as JG sucks up the joint.. average at best and has trouble staying on the field..

While Brady plays another 3 great seasons and wins a Super Bowl with another team. Before Brady retires.. JG has lost his starting job and is now a back up or out of the league. worst case scenario if we went with JG.

Not only would it look bad for the Patriots to trade Brady away but if the plan back fires horribly.. Things would be very ugly. Bad story lines, Bad headlines.. bad publicity...

There is risk both ways. I think the best bet is to keep Brady no matter what... as long as he is committed for at least 3 more years, and you know this for certain.

I am just playing devils advocate. I doubt JG is gonna bomb I think he is going to be a good QB.

I think there will be a difference in opinion between the younger and older Pats fans. Older Pat fans know that when something great lands on your plate you stick with it until it's gone. Never bet on an unknown. JG could be infomercial great or the real deal. We do not know yet and two games nor 16 games would be enough to let us know. Brady is playing better now than when he won his first 3 super bowls. How long will his eliteness last? I don't know. But you should never trade a known for an unknown no matter how good the infomercial was.

I do understand those who want to keep JG. I like him as well. But I want to ride the Brady train to its end and you cannot know where that is until it is there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes