PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Edelman: "Jimmy G is a stud"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Brisset is NOT READY to step in if needed in 2017, and maybe 2018, as the Pats seek their 6th Lombardi. From a talent standpoint he has a strong but not very accurate arm. His release is ponderous, and long, and I don't think his pass is very catchable when not accurate. Still I think he will be an above average BACKUP QB, eventually.

Garoppolo on the other hand, has that certain intangible but real, leadership talent, follow me attitude, that player's want to play for. It is a real talent that the military explicitly looks for in its officers.
Putting your opinions IN BOLD does not make them accurate as the briskit already "stepped in" in 2016. He even did alright for a raw rookie thrown in during his 3rd game as a pro. He had poise, didn't make mistakes and controlled the huddle. Was he Brady or Grop? Hell no totally different type of QB which makes his drafting interesting but there is no denying he has some intriguing skills and potential development. Personally I would be 100% Fine with him as the sole back up in 2017 assuming the pats do get a kings randsom for Grop. You can't compare a rookie in his 3rd game to a 2nd year guy who had the whole season and off-season to study film learn the offense and get what it takes to be a pro. IMO it's easier to teach the right things then teach not making mistakes or undoing bad habits so I am quite encouraged by The Briskit's rookie year.

Also the one thing you hear about him in interviews articles written about him and from coaches is his off the charts leadership abilities so I think you are being very unfair to him saying he doesn't have "it". Can you imagine how hard it is to be a leader as a rookie with TFB on the team? I would imagine most team mates would think you were an ******* for even trying. Yet there he was taking Floyd under his wing and throwing routes, going over the playbook at 6 in the morning. Guarantee you the coaches noticed and approve. Compare that to Vick in Atlanta who as a starter would just do the 9-5 that was expected of him. Difference between a winner and a mediocre QB and from what I have read and seen Briskit is a winner.

Remember the sheer joy emanating from Jimmy when he finally, finally got to take the field and play football? He is ready to be a starting QB, multiple teams would be happy to make him their starting QB, and HE WANTS TO PLAY.

I don't think that working out financial terms is the issue. And frankly, any agent who works out a deal for a highly competitive, starter-ready QB to languish on the bench for years is guilty of malpractice. (Not to mention, on the financial front: an ultra-photogenic QB rakes in additional $millions as the face of a franchise.)

The timing just doesn't work out to keep him around, unfortunately. It has to be Brady or Garoppolo.

That is NOT TRUE until the 2019 season... Garoppolo's cost is cheap in 2o17 and then expensive in 2018, as a backup. But on average it is expensive but achieveable. More power to Brady if he still believes there is no one better going into the 2019 season, and several years more. But only crazed fans and not rational Kraft and Belichick would believe it.

That is NOT TRUE until the 2019 season... Garoppolo's cost is cheap in 2o17 and then expensive in 2018, as a backup. But on average it is expensive but achieveable. More power to Brady if he still believes there is no one better going into the 2019 season, and several years more. But only crazed fans and not rational Kraft and Belichick would believe it.
That's really not true, we need to take Brady one year at a time and not get ahead of ourselves, but it's entirely possible that every year for 5 years, TB12 remains the better option than whatever we have to replace him,

The more I read about Brissett, the more comfortable I am with trading Apollo as long as the return is good. If people like Brissett's poise and attitude, letting him learn at the feet of the GOAT for Brady's last years is probably a good move, take the haul for Apollo and get what we can.

I look at Brissett and see a slightly faster version of Matt Cassell. Talented enough to be a journeyman average-to-mediocre quarterback with a roughly even record. That's not nothing, but if you're winning Superbowls, it's not going to be because of that guy.

I actually think Brissett would do as a place-holder, a guy to occupy the job while they find the real guy if you know what I mean. I'd rather have the QBOTF in the wings being trained by the GOAT though. If that doesn't work out and we're using a placeholder QB for a few seasons, I'm cool with it, as long as it doesn't go on too long

Until Brady it was only a short wait of 41 years! It included auditions by good QBs like Parilli, Plunkett, Grogan and Bledsoe too; and a lot of never weres and never willbes.

They can keep BOTH for two years. Why would you not do it?

2017 wouldn't hurt the cap but 2018 would. I would want to keep JG but if a team offers a ransom of picks for him it would be tough to pass up.

I am not 100% certain what the best way to handle JG's situation is but I am 100% sure I would not cut or trade or bench Brady to keep him.

Unless we receive a Godfather type package.. He will be with us in 2017.

Putting your opinions IN BOLD does not make them accurate as the briskit already "stepped in" in 2016. He even did alright for a raw rookie thrown in during his 3rd game as a pro. He had poise, didn't make mistakes and controlled the huddle. Was he Brady or Grop? Hell no totally different type of QB which makes his drafting interesting but there is no denying he has some intriguing skills and potential development. Personally I would be 100% Fine with him as the sole back up in 2017 assuming the pats do get a kings randsom for Grop. You can't compare a rookie in his 3rd game to a 2nd year guy who had the whole season and off-season to study film learn the offense and get what it takes to be a pro. IMO it's easier to teach the right things then teach not making mistakes or undoing bad habits so I am quite encouraged by The Briskit's rookie year.

Also the one thing you hear about him in interviews articles written about him and from coaches is his off the charts leadership abilities so I think you are being very unfair to him saying he doesn't have "it". Can you imagine how hard it is to be a leader as a rookie with TFB on the team? I would imagine most team mates would think you were an ******* for even trying. Yet there he was taking Floyd under his wing and throwing routes, going over the playbook at 6 in the morning. Guarantee you the coaches noticed and approve. Compare that to Vick in Atlanta who as a starter would just do the 9-5 that was expected of him. Difference between a winner and a mediocre QB and from what I have read and seen Briskit is a winner.

A winner in the lockeroom but if the skills don't show on the field then it means nothing, he's Ryan Mallet, drafted him to be the next back up not the next man up, with JG contract expiring after 2017 they needed a another backup to groom post Jimmy, i think to much is being read into both Jimmy and Jacoby, neither will be the successor to Tom Brady, chances are Jacoby's replacement will be drafted next season season being so that Jacobys contract expires after 2019, and i expect them to draft another QB in 2019 as well, so if they can't trade Jacoby before his rookie contract he'll just be a free agent in 2020, so if Brady doesn't retire in 2020 we will carry 2 backups not named JG or Jacoby, if he does one of the 2 unknown backups will get the starting role, possibly the '18 drafted QB since the '19 drafted QB would only have had a year in the system unless its a stud thats ready to go unless the '18 QB is the stud.

So in 2018 we will draft another QB (which could very possibly be the real heir apparent since the rookie contract will expire after 2021 {perfect timing to make a smooth transition from Brady and Unknown QB, idk what the QBs are like for next year but if there's a stud we can grab, next year is the year to do it i would even pull the trigger in the 1st round if its worth it because of the timing {4yr rookie contract' next year would be the perfect time to grab the heir if there's potential to grab one

I expect in 2019 for them to draft another QB as well, whether its a first half of the drat pick or later rounds pick depends on the skill level of the '18 drafted prospect

A winner in the lockeroom but if the skills don't show on the field then it means nothing, he's Ryan Mallet, drafted him to be the next back up not the next man up, with JG contract expiring after 2017 they needed a another backup to groom post Jimmy, i think to much is being read into both Jimmy and Jacoby, neither will be the successor to Tom Brady, chances are Jacoby's replacement will be drafted next season season being so that Jacobys contract expires after 2019, and i expect them to draft another QB in 2019 as well, so if they can't trade Jacoby before his rookie contract he'll just be a free agent in 2020, so if Brady doesn't retire in 2020 we will carry 2 backups not named JG or Jacoby, if he does one of the 2 unknown backups will get the starting role, possibly the '18 drafted QB since the '19 drafted QB would only have had a year in the system unless its a stud thats ready to go unless the '18 QB is the stud.

So in 2018 we will draft another QB (which could very possibly be the real heir apparent since the rookie contract will expire after 2021 {perfect timing to make a smooth transition from Brady and Unknown QB, idk what the QBs are like for next year but if there's a stud we can grab, next year is the year to do it i would even pull the trigger in the 1st round if its worth it because of the timing {4yr rookie contract' next year would be the perfect time to grab the heir if there's potential to grab one

I expect in 2019 for them to draft another QB as well, whether its a first half of the drat pick or later rounds pick depends on the skill level of the '18 drafted prospect

Winning on the field IMO starts with winning in the locker room, and in the film room, and on the practice field. I have no idea if Briskit is the hier or if the guy we draft in two years will be. At this point I think Brady will continue to be the man for the next 3-5 years so the only question I have for the back up is if Brady goes down for 4 games with a cracked rib or torn rotator cuff can they at least go 2-2? My answer for Briskit is yes he will continue to have the locker room's confidence and be able to lead the huddle.

Are there things he needs to work on? Hell yes his accuracy is concerning along with timing and antcipation on his throws. Reading defenses and making the right read, trusting what he is seeing are all things that come with time, work, and film study. There was one throw in the Houston game that if the ball was out .5 secs earlier was a crossing route TD, yet because He hesitated the corner was able to get in front and knock it away. He has to continue being the guy who comes in at 6 in the morning and doesn't leave until 8 at night. Is football his first last and only love? I haven't the foggiest but IF it is then I think Big Ben is his ceiling and that is plenty good enough to be the heir. Step down from Brady? Yup but so is everyone not named TFB.

smoke-1.jpg

Just having some fun.

I wish we could keep Jimmy G, but I see more value in a trade.

I keep hearing value in a trade but who knows if the next QB we draft is even going to be worthy to be mentioned in the same breath as Bledsoe let alone Brady.

Some have speculated trading Jimmy for a high second and mid round pick.
As far as that then draft A QB of the possible future second or third round.
Where is thr value gone for Trading Jimmy then

Some have speculated trading Jimmy for a high second and mid round pick.
As far as that then draft A QB of the possible future second or third round.
Where is thr value gone for Trading Jimmy then
Because they would not draft a QB with that pick. The assumption in trading Jimmy is the Brady plus top 15 pick...say 4years of a starting LB or TE is more valuable then one year of cheap Best back up QB in the league. Briskit takes Jimmy's spot and we do this whole dance again in 2 years when they draft a QB in the second or third round to take Briskit's spot

I would hate to trade Jimmy. Guy could give us another solid ten years of 9 win - 12 win seasons with the right coach with a losing season inbetween and a SB win.

On the surface, I feel like you. I think he's legit, and I think if all is equal, they'd keep him here. Unfortunately, it's not all equal. Garoppolo's top trade value is as we speak, up until opening night, and if some team comes back with two 1st round picks or something, it's hard to say no.

Didn't think that Dak Prescott was a NFL QB either. He was taken in the Fourth Round a Round after Biscuit was taken. Remember we were told to draft Biscuit by old Coach and friend Parcells. With NFL Prospects who knows.

We won't know the answer to this question until the conclusion of the 2018 season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes