PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Ed Werder: Jimmy G NOT expected to be traded

Status
Not open for further replies.
If Adam Schefter is saying the Patriots will deal Jimmy G that’s where I’m putting my money. Schefter has sources within the Patriots organization and is rarely wrong.

If I look at it from the other direction, I trade a 1st round pick for Jimmy without hesitation. You need a good quarterback to win in the NFL. If you're Cleveland,f or example, every year you don't have one WASTES one year of five for which you have control of those draft picks.

Jimmy's not a sure thing, but look at the Pats THIS YEAR to see many 1st round sure things who weren't, like Mingo (#6), McClellin (#19), Cooper (#7)...

Chris Long (#2) has had a good career in the NFL, but he's never been more valuable to a franchise than a good quarterback would be.

If there was a top-end prospect in the draft at QB this year, I might defer, but from everything I've heard, there's no one close to Jimmy. The free agent retreads aren't much to sneeze at, either. Romo, if he's cut or traded, will be an overpaid huge risk.

Cousins won't leave Washington, I bet. There's a reason the market is heating up for Jimmy.

If I'm Cleveland, with two first round picks and the first pick in the second round, and over $100 million in Cap Space, I make my move right now, and do it with purpose - even if it meant (because of SF and Chicago) dealing the 1st pick in the mix. I grab Jimmy, shore up the OL with a couple of FA's...and with Gordon (hopefully) and Pryor, I'm off to the races.

Look no further than the Raiders for the blueprinit. Forever losers UNTIL they found that missing QB piece and brought in some high-priced free agents. And look how fast they imploded when Carr went down. It's all about the QB.
I think they are trying to build the core of the team first and worry about QB when they could win with one.
If they trade for a QB now they aren't ready to win anyway.

Of course it is... A top 10 QB and average everything else can get you in the playoffs. The Patriots have demonstrated this for years with the one caveat being they also have the best Coach in the league. 2009-2013 the Patriots made the playoffs every year but they were flawed in some major area's. But still managed AFC titles/appearances and a Super Bowl appearance.
You are comparing the browns other than QB to the patriots other than QB? Really?

You are comparing the browns other than QB to the patriots other than QB? Really?

Huh? No, not comparing Browns to Patriots in anyway. Unless the Browns think Kessler or what ever his name is a possibility for the future, getting a young talented QB is the most important thing for the Browns to do. If they are not ready to "win right now" you still want a young QB locked in for the future.

I think they are trying to build the core of the team first and worry about QB when they could win with one.

The Browns have an all-world left tackle, an emerging great receiver, a shutdown corner, lots of other parts, and 110 MILLION in cap space.

They are the Raiders of two years ago, sans Derek Carr.

I think thats a brilliant idea to trade for Clevelands 1st in 2018 so if theres a stud QB we can groom as the heir we can use that to draft a QB in the 1st roun d next year and rookie contracts in 2018 won't expire till after the 2021 season perfect sling shot if we can grab a potential heir QB next season

Sam darnold my friend

I'm no expert, but I'm under the impression that offensive systems are built so tightly around your quarterback that that makes no sense at all to me. Why take the time to build a system and only get a QB later when it might turn out that you built the wrong system for the best available quarterbacks?

Maybe I'm just too used to all these teams built around the GOAT, but it seems backward to get the QB last. Get your quarterback, then build the team around what your quarterback can do.

The Browns have an all-world left tackle, an emerging great receiver, a shutdown corner, lots of other parts, and 110 MILLION in cap space.

They are the Raiders of two years ago, sans Derek Carr.
Who is an emerging great receiver???
Who is a shutdown corner???
Look you can feel whatever you want about how they will act. Im saying how I see it. We will know soon enough.

I'm no expert, but I'm under the impression that offensive systems are built so tightly around your quarterback that that makes no sense at all to me. Why take the time to build a system and only get a QB later when it might turn out that you built the wrong system for the best available quarterbacks?

Maybe I'm just too used to all these teams built around the GOAT, but it seems backward to get the QB last. Get your quarterback, then build the team around what your quarterback can do.
If you spend your capital in a young QB while your roster sucks you end up with David Carr

If you spend your capital in a young QB while your roster sucks you end up with David Carr

The NFL is a crapshoot, but getting a good/great QB is definitely not up for debate, no matter what the cost. Carr played for the Texans, The Panthers, The Giants, and The 49'ers.. please David Carr was a bust. He had plenty of opportunities and he never took hold of any of them. And thats not a knock on Carr because most QB's that are drafted to the NFL are busts.

If the Pats decide to keep JG, if no one blows the doors off with an offer, then keep him as an insurance policy. I won't be upset by it.

I'm not trading Jimmy for anything but a 1st. If no team wants to cooperate? Keep hime and make him the starter in 18.

I kind of see them doing this, as this is what they did with Cassel. It gives them a good backup at a low cost, and gives Brisset another year to learn the system. And if there's a market for Jimmy next year, maybe they get a second or better, as they did with Cassel. And if not, they probably get a third round comp pick.

I've heard everything to a 1+4 this year to they'll be lucky to get a 2 this year. But I have faith that Bill will make the right decision.

It's impossible to get a comp pick for a franchise tagged player.

If the Pats are up for trading him we will get a nice haul. Like draft stock or whatever its called I say we end up with at the very very least a top 15 pick in value. That might come in ways of multiple picks and a swap but in the end we get a good pic or pics out of it. JG was a 2nd rounder.. we are not talking about a 6th 7th or UDFA here.. if we trade JG for 2nd rounder we are essentially getting nothing in return for our pick. It just doesn't make a lot of sense for the Pats to get a 2nd round pick for him. Also considering the market and the lack of QB's in the draft... you would think this would be prime time to make a deal.

But all this media news.. is probably posturing from other teams and the Pats. A source says they are extending Brady.. another source says we have no interest in trading JG.. those 2 reports came out today and they seem to contradict each other.

The NFL is a crapshoot, but getting a good/great QB is definitely not up for debate, no matter what the cost. Carr played for the Texans, The Panthers, The Giants, and The 49'ers.. please David Carr was a bust. He had plenty of opportunities and he never took hold of any of them. And thats not a knock on Carr because most QB's that are drafted to the NFL are busts.

If the Pats decide to keep JG, if no one blows the doors off with an offer, then keep him as an insurance policy. I won't be upset by it.

By year 3 he had PTSD. 76 sacks his rookie season.

By year 3 he had PTSD. 76 sacks his rookie season.

He had post traumatic stress syndrome? From getting sacked? Its not like he was getting blown apart by grenades.

Thats almost 5 sacks a game. Thats a lot but PTSD?

if we trade JG for 2nd rounder we are essentially getting nothing in return for our pick.
I agree with you that they should be holding out for a first round pick, but I don't know if I'd agree with the idea of "essentially getting nothing" if it's a second.

After all, we've already gotten 3 full years of him as the primary backup on a cheap rookie deal. That's certainly worth something. The fact that the team can replace that second round pick (or hopefully much better) 4 or 5 yrs later is remarkable.

He had post traumatic stress syndrome? From getting sacked? Its not like he was getting blown apart by grenades.

Thats almost 5 sacks a game. Thats a lot but PTSD?
He's just joking with you, man. 76 sacks in a rookie season may qualify, though.

I'm not trading Jimmy for anything but a 1st. If no team wants to cooperate? Keep hime and make him the starter in 18.
Brady will be the starter in 18

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents