PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Early nominees for Sleeper Teams of 2006

Status
Not open for further replies.

PonyExpress

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Obviously subject to change before opening day:

AFC: Oakland Raiders. This most hated team actually has a chance, with an improving secondary and linebacking corps. They have gotten a couple of hardnosed players in the draft the last couple of years, with Kirk Morrison and Huff, and I think the change of scenery will help Aaron Brooks, who will thrive under Art Shell. I think the exit of sea lawyers like Sapp, Woodson and Ted Washington will help the locker room atmosphere. Combined with the fact the team finally will be able to market its own tickets, I fear we could look at a revival of the moribund Oakland franchise this year.

NFC: NO Saints. New coach, new QB, new attitude, new super half-back. Not a fan of Sean "Malcolm in the Middle" Payton, but anything is an improvement over Haslett. Also, I see DE Will Smith becoming one of the dominant players in the league this year, and Charles Grant having a bounce back year. Jammal Brown will handle Left Tackle decently. 10 wins is not out of the question.

Last edited:
They might not be sleepers but i think the Cardinals will make some noise this year. Perhaps they can have their first 500+ season in history?

desi-patsfan said:
They might not be sleepers but i think the Cardinals will make some noise this year. Perhaps they can have their first 500+ season in history?

They've finished over 500 several times. I don't think they've had consecutive winning seasons (or Atlanta).

I agree they could make some noise. At least their fans will. They've sold out every season ticket available (according to the team). If true, that might be a franchise first.

As a collection of parts, I actually like the Titans this year - although there is that nasty situation at QB. I could see the AFC South being that much more interesting (once again.)

Predictions...

Its really not news but I expect the Jaguars to cause some ruckus. I think they push the Clots out of the AFCS division title and maybe even the playoffs.

Why?

I like Del Rio as a Coach and Jax is just a more fundamently sound team than the great O, No D Colts. The great O is showing signs of merely becoming ordinary, to good. The O-line depth is gone, and the RB situation is now just mediocre to good, not franchise quality any longer.

So up teamJax..

and plunging team Colts down to say 8-8, 9-7ish.

By sleeper team, I have to assume that means a team that 6wins or less last year. That would be Buffalo, Ny Jets, Baltimore, Cleveland,Tennessee, Houston, Oakland, Philly, Detroit, Green Bay, New Orleans, Arizona, San fransisco, and St. Louis. I would take Philly off of that list since they are one year removed from the SB. So My picks would be Baltimore or Cleveland in the AFC and Green Bay or Possibly St. Louis in the NFC. Arizona could sneek in because they are in a week division.

Last edited:
Mr.Kilowatt said:
Arizona could sneek in because they are in a weak division.
They had a very decent draft.

Last edited:
desi-patsfan said:

NEM will disagree, but I'm picking them - decent RB, decent QB being pushed by a highly regarded rookie, etc etc... this team could make some noise in a weak division

Generally NO is my perennial sleeper team, but they never seem to do more than sleep

Arizona is a sleeper team forever, until they show differently.

AFC
In a sense,Miami is many people's sleeper. They were out of the playoffs last year, and are now a sleeper SB pick by some. I wouldn't go that far, but they are most likely a playoff team.

I see no real sleepers in the AFC. I expect the 9 contenders from last year to be the one's competing for the playoffs and beyond, the playoff teams Miami, SD and KC.

NFC
I don't really know who should be considered sleepers. The top teams for me are all the the teams in the East, Chicago, Seattle and Carolina.

For me, the rest are sleepers, whether they make the playoffs or not. And I don't expect any of them to do really well deep into the playoffs.

AFC-Cleveland. I think Romeo will use his qb as a "game manager" and rely on his defense to win games. I see his game plan to be to rely on all three phases to work together to win the game. None of Cleveland's three phases are individually strong enough win a game on their own. However I expect Romeo to allow his offense to play field position, let the special teams put the defense in good positions to make plays, and then the offense punches it in.

NFC-Detroit. The NFC North is weak. They have playmakers on offense. They need Kitna to get them the ball and he can do that. Their defense seems to be succeptable in the secondary. That is the only weak point there. None of the NFC North teams scare me throwing the ball. They may have enough to get it done.

I am surprised that nobody is picking Cleveland.

So I will. Cleveland will vie for a wildcard spot.

Cleveland's been all over the press... they'll be in the fight for a wild card spot.

I think, finally, this is the year that Houston goes over .500. (Then again, I said that last year....)

AFC - Ravens. I'm gambling that Boller grows up and Lewis is healthy.

NFC - Rams. Linehan will make them a more disciplined team and they'll use Jackson properly.

Romeo Romeo, wherefore hast thou Ted and Willie, Romeo?

Yeah them too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just noticed that NEM went back in time to August 05 and edited my message before I could post it. Somebody take away his TARDIS.

re

I think head coaches have the biggest effect on the success of a team, and there are a few teams that will vastly improve because of a year or two under their HC.

Among teams below .500 last year:
1 Arizona will soon seem very similar to the 1990's Vikings. They will make the playoffs in the next two years, but will not advance in the playoffs.

2 Miami will be much better. They will still have that tough defense, but their offense will be significantly improved.

3 Houston will be better because of Kubiak, and the fact that they finally addressed the line of scrimmage in the off-season.

Teams that are anti-sleepers (will drop further next year):
1 Minnesota is going downhill in a hurry. In the span of one year they lost their two best players. Their front office is a mess as well.

2 San Diego has been making questionable moves ever since their previous GM passed away. They took Rivers with their top pick when they already had Brees, then let Brees go without getting any value in return. Rivers is a question mark, and there is animosity between Marty and the front office. They won't make the playoffs.

3 Indy will feel the loss of Edge and their defensive players. They might still sneak into the playoffs at 9-7 or 10-6.

Will be even better:
These teams don't count as sleepers since they were playoff teams, but I think Cincinnati, NY Giants, and Washington will be even better.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes