PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

E. Smith 'Pats just do not have depth'

Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually the 1993 Cowboys did not have any dept at running-back at all. When Smith held out in a contract dispute at the start of the season, they really had no one and lost those games.

Having 'depth' at QB is a euphemism for saying that your starting QB isn't very good.

I just don't buy it. If Aikman, Emmit, Irvin, or Novachek were to have gotten injured where was this so called "depth" they had? What I'm saying is they boast about all this "depth" but just like most other teams if one or two starters had went down it would be a different story. I only say this because he says the Cowboys were better because of "depth", he could have used anything else to make his point but I don't believe his "depth" argument.

Hey guys. Emmitt is correct.. well.. sort of..

The Pats ARE lacking depth at QB, RB and LB. And to a lesser extent CB.

Hmm.. though I don't know of another team that has depth at QB. But, definitely concerns at RB and LB. Especially with Morris already gone for the year. And at LB, the Pats are short already with Alexander on the bench and Lua on the IR. Granted, they'd need 2 injuries to a group of Seau, Bruschi, Vrabel, Colvin, and Thomas.

Anyways.. as you've mentioned, Emmitt is a blowhard, but there is some truth to his spewings.

I can't agree with this. The Patriots are lacking depth NOW that their RBs are hurt. Going into the season, they were not lacking depth here. We all felt fine with Maroney, Morris and Faulk. After 2 or 3 guys get injured, then you're lacking depth.

I have a friend who's a huge Dallas fan and we've done this exercise so many times, LOL.

While Dallas during their championship runs did have good depth at QB with Steve Beuerlein that's the exception to the rule.

But they had no better depth at RB after Smith and WR and TE they actually had less depth than the Pats have now.

Oline and Dline both teams had good depth.

LB and CB Dallas didn't have great depth. Pierre Woods or Randall Gay are as good as anybody on Dallas for first guys off the bench for Dallas. Gay and Wilson have started Super Bowls.

ohh man, different opinions can say a lot about the pats...

they are running up the score is stupid....but can be explained iwth idiot reasoning....

so cna Brady is NOT the best qb ever...

so can BB sucks as a coach....

so can pats are classless...for all u whiners out there...

but have "no depth"....i think thats the one thing u CANT say...LOL

The Patriots are marching towards a 19-0 season and a 4th superbowl in 6 years...

What do you expect a lot of these clowns to say?

This is the same fools who said after the Patriots won 3 SB's in 4 years that they "are not a dynasty".......yeah, right...whatever you say morons.

Only an idiot would deny that this is the greatest team ever assembled. What is happening now, has never happened in 100 years of pro football.

What the Patriots are doing is not supposed to happen in the current format of free agency and salary cap NFL.

I know what I see, and still my eyes are decieving me. This is not the Bears, the Cowboys, Steelers or 49er's. This is the New England Patriots....the same loveable losers we have stood by forever.....rewriting the record books.

Emmitt was just being dumb and trying to defend the legacy of the Cowboys.

But, I think it is hard to compare eras.

When Staubach retired, he had the highest career QB rating ever -- in the mid-80s. Somewhere in that time, the 5-yard chuck rule came in; also more lenient rules for O-line to block.

In the mid-1980s the Redskins had Grimm and Jacoby, who were unusual in that there were TWO 300 pounders on the same O-line. I believe the lightest guy on the Eagles line is about 320.

So in some ways it's a different game. but if the Pats go 19-0 and set all the records of dominance, it will be hard to deny that they are the most dominant team ever.

For now, it's too early to say this team is the best -- how many teams are known as one of the best without winning a SB? The 2007 Pats have not won a SB ... yet.

the jackson response on the humble pie thing shows his clear hatred for the team.

It's the worst argument ever. Even at are so-called weak positions were pretty flog gone deep. We were using 3 RBs with regularity and now we're giving a lot of reps to Eckel and Evans, we have 5 good-to-awesome linebackers who we use, the combo of Samuel/Hobbs/Gay at corner is among the best nickels in the league... And we obviously have unfathomable depth at WR and DE.

Couldn't he at least say something stupid but unprovable like ''we don't have a lot of Hall of Famers''?

the jackson response on the humble pie thing shows his clear hatred for the team.

He still hasn't gotten over the plate of crow that he got served 4 years ago:

In 2003, the New England Patriots released popular safety Lawyer Milloy, who signed with the Buffalo Bills and helped his new team shutout New England on opening weekend, 31-0. On an episode of NFL Countdown, Jackson claimed that the Patriots were not behind head coach Bill Belichick: "Let me say this clearly: they hate their coach." His provocative claim drew fervent denials from the Patriots locker room. The Patriots recovered from the Buffalo blowout in stunning fashion, finishing the regular season at a league-best 14-2, and going on to defeat the Carolina Panthers in Super Bowl XXXVIII. When Jackson went to congratulate Belichick after the game, the Patriot coach barked, "F--- you."

Also found this on Sons of Sam Horn:

The anecdote about Tom Jackson.

Jackson had the "they hate their coach" line. When BB called him on it, Jackson admitted he hadn't talked to anyone on the team and had no basis for it. BB asked him to retract it. Jackson refused to do so.

After the Super Bowl, Jackson went up and offered his congratulations to BB and held his hand out to shake hands. BB just said "f*ck you, Tom" and walked away.

Last edited:
What is really important???

Facts.

Talk has always been cheap. You can see it everywhere. Yap, yap, oh zzzz already.

There is only one thing that counts. Facts.

We may not be the best team that ever played, and there is no way to judge that fact. Can we play any team of the past?? No. So, yap, yap, yap. We can't prove anything or can anyone else.

So guess what??? It does not mean one little, itty bitty thing when anyone says anything about it.

There are FACTS. We have not lost (doesn't mean much really), we are playing like no team I have ever seen (means something). We still have the rest of the season and playoffs to go through. And then we will really know.

That being said, I cannot believe how flat out awesome we are. And I have seen some serious good teams. We are just flat out awesome.

Then Emmit Smith said that the Pats were great and one of the best teams he has ever 'seen', but unlike his '92-'93 Cowboys, the Pats just do not have the depth.

That is a misrepresentation of what Emmitt said. He did not say they "do not have the depth", he said they do not have the depth of his Cowboys.

It might be true, I don't know, but he did not diss the team in any way whatsoever. I can't see presenting that statement as anything but his opinion of how the two teams compared depth-wise.

me and emmitt in SI but still pats would smoke that team.
emmittcopy.jpg

Hmm.. though I don't know of another team that has depth at QB. But, definitely concerns at RB and LB. Especially with Morris already gone for the year. And at LB, the Pats are short already with Alexander on the bench and Lua on the IR. Granted, they'd need 2 injuries to a group of Seau, Bruschi, Vrabel, Colvin, and Thomas.

Anyways.. as you've mentioned, Emmitt is a blowhard, but there is some truth to his spewings.

The last team I remember having real depth at QB was the Pats in 2001. Bledsoe was probably the best QB to be a backup QB in the SB.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes