PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Dungy's take

Status
Not open for further replies.
He was great. That's why they fired him.

There offense was abysmal. He's a good defensive guy, the job done patching that horribly soft D last year was a coaching job for the ages. My sincere props.

Dungy turned around the sorriest franchise in NFL history in Tampa, making them contenders every year. Unfortunately, there's no way of knowing if he would have ever won a bowl in Tampa, but there's no disputing the fact that he made them relevant and laid the foundation for the Super-Bowl win.

Yep, if you need proof, just look at how DOMINANT the Falcons have been since Mckay got there.:rolleyes:

Meanwhile, Tony's teams just keep on winning, 8 straight years making the playoffs.....

All I said was Mckay built the team and Gruden coached it. McKay being stupid enough to take on a team built on a huge mistake is another issue (vick).

I'm not praising him, just saying he had complete control of personnel when the Bucs team was built.

You'll note I give praise to Dungy for a fantastic job with the colts D which culminated in a Super Bowl. He's a very talented coach

I just don't like him and people of his ilk.

He brought racism and religious prejudice into areas it doesn't belong. If he concentrated on football, I'd stop at admiring his talent.

He and Kiffin also did a marvelous job with the D.

The offense sucked every year, he never fixed it and that's why he got fired.

They've had some pretty miserable QB's in Tampa

Dungy wasn't the man responsible for having Dilfer, King and Johnson as the team's best quarterbacks. Despite that huge liability, the 2000 Buccaneers were 7th in the league in points scored. Take a look at the receiving corps that he had to deal with on top of those quarterbacks and you'll start to see that you're being too hard on Dungy.

In 1999, he got the Buccaneers to the NFC title game and only lost 11-6 to the Rams. The Rams went on the be Super Bowl Champions after beating the Titans.

Yeah, Gruden's touch on offense was just enough to get them over the hump. However, I'm not convinced that Tony WOULDN'T have won a bowl in Tampa, had he been given more time.

Also, IMO, the steady decline of the Buc's since their SB win is indicative of chucky's shortcomings as a coach.

Also, IMO, the steady decline of the Buc's since their SB win is indicative of chucky's shortcomings as a coach.

There aren't many teams that are very successful without a good QB no matter who the HC was. I know there've been some exceptions, like the Ravens with Dilfer, but it's much easier with a good QB.

Gruden's phony "Chucky" act has to wear thin early on with players. His ridiculous playcalls read like War & Peace. Good God, it's no wonder they can't find a decent QB. Aside from the fact that the Offense is unusually complex, Gruden hovers over them until they no doubt wish they had been drafted anywhere else.

Yeah, Gruden's touch on offense was just enough to get them over the hump. However, I'm not convinced that Tony WOULDN'T have won a bowl in Tampa, had he been given more time.

Gruden's shortcomings as a defacto GM are worse

Dungy wasn't the man responsible for having Dilfer, King and Johnson as the team's best quarterbacks. Despite that huge liability, the 2000 Buccaneers were 7th in the league in points scored. Take a look at the receiving corps that he had to deal with on top of those quarterbacks and you'll start to see that you're being too hard on Dungy.

In 1999, he got the Buccaneers to the NFC title game and only lost 11-6 to the Rams. The Rams went on the be Super Bowl Champions after beating the Titans.

How many games do you expect to win scoring 6 points?

Steve Young was awful in Tampa. He wasn't good until he got Jerry Rice.

Or until he got good offensive coaching? He is in the hall of fame, deservedly or not.

Or until he got good offensive coaching? He is in the hall of fame, deservedly or not.

Not for a thing he did in Tampa.

How many games do you expect to win scoring 6 points?

The Rams were 13-3 that season, had the #1 scoring offense and #4 scoring defense in the league, and Tampa kept the game close on the road against a team that had scored 526 points that season and only allowed 242.

Last edited:
The Rams were 13-3 that season, had the #1 scoring offense and #4 scoring defense in the league, and Tampa kept the game close on the road against a team that had scored 526 points that season and only allowed 242.

My question stands. I've lived in the area since 2001. They had an incredible defense. Come crunch time they had lots of trouble even scoring a touchdown.

And he repeatedly failed to put even an average offense on the field, while Gruden succeeded.

It's not like journeymen QBs like Brad Johnson are hard to find.

By the way, there's only a handful of good coaches in the NFL and he's one of them. I just don't like him personally.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST