PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Dugger 4 yr extension $58 mil

The Jets wont be a pushover this season with Rodgers healthy.

lxzwwycmrpczrz2ibyts.jpg

Not too worried about the Jete myself...

Our division will be tough as usual...just gotta D up...move the chains...let our ST units shift field position....

I like our chances.

Dugger was NOT a "massive liability in coverage" last year.

Feel free to leave and go root for the Jets.
I am not sure that I need to leave just because I have a difference of opinion from some of the other homers here.

Dugger was not a great re-sign, unlike Onwenu was or Barmore could have been.

But seeing that he only got $32.5 mil guaranteed does soften the blow a little.

Because I don't think of him as a top safety.

What you "think" is irrelevant. What matters is production. And Dugger produces.. I showed this when people tried to bring up Justin Simmons.

I am not sure that I need to leave just because I have a difference of opinion from some of the other homers here.

Dugger was not a great re-sign, unlike Onwenu was or Barmore could have been.

But seeing that he only got $32.5 mil guaranteed does soften the blow a little.

That 32.5M in guarantees puts him 5th amongst safeties.

As for Barmore, why are you acting like re-signing Dugger precludes the Patriots from re-signing Barmore? The Pats still have over 46M in cap space. They could EASILY re-sign Barmore giving him SB this year and paying him $25M/year going forward and not blink an eye.

BTW, My telling you to "feel free to leave" is in regards to your whining. Which is what you were doing the entire thread. And that has nothing to do with being a homer. Just pointing out that some of us are sick of all the whining that goes on.

I don't understand the point, he only played 3 games and 1 quarter so his rating for the year is the same as his rating for the first 3+ games. There is NO WAY he ranks 27th in the league for the year but somehow was the worst CB after the first 3,4,5 or whatever games of the year.
FYI, He was the highest rated Patriots CB at the time of his injury.
If Jonathan Jones ranked lower than him in every single game of the first 3+ how is it Gonzalez would be lower than him cumulatively for example?
You can see the rating for each game, you cannot filter, as far as I can tell, for a certain # of games only, but it is irrelevant as you can look at the game by game of other corners and he 100% was NOT EVEN REMOTELY CLOSE to the worst rated CB in PFF. IT IS JUST NOT TRUE!
I mean he played 3 weeks and was one of the top-rated CB's in one of the weeks. How bad would he have to be in the other 9 quarters?

Of course you don't understand the point.

Your claims of "no way does he rank 27th overall" shows how little you know of the NFL or of the PFF ratings (which are garbage).

I guess that Dugger was the last re-signing. It is amazing me with all the talk about Belichick's poor player selection, yet all the Patriots have been doing is resigning players formerly selected by Bill. Just Amazing. When do the Patriots sign free agents, Oh that time passed. How do the Patriots fill all the holes? Via the Draft. We all know that most drafted players don't start. How about filing the needs with traded players, what do the Patriots have to trade with, players they just signed? I don't think so, that would just create more holes to fill. What a mess and it is all Bill Belichick's fault, I don't think so. Thank you Bob Kraft for screwing up this team.

Patriots have signed 7 UFAs and 2 SFAs this off-season.
The Pats re-signed 7 of their own UFA. They re-signed 4 of 5 of their ERFAs.

The Pats let 6 UFAs walk. They let their RFA go and let 1 ERFA go.
The Pats ALSO cut 4 players and let 4 players from the PS go without offers.

The Pats also had 3 players retire. So that's 19 players from last year's roster who won't be returning. That's 23% of the players who were on the roster at the end of 2023.

What areas haven't been addressed other than LT ?? And yes, LTs taken in the 1st two rounds DO tend to start right away or at least some during their rookie year. Or do Matt Light, Nate Solder, and Isaiah Wynn not count?

If Kraft did not match the offer Dugger was gone and the Pat's got nothing for him.

After losing out on Ridley can you imagine how cheep Thunder would appear if Dugger moved on?

Dugger agent won.
Nobody loses when you let the open market determines worth, sure maybe the player doesn’t receive what he wanted or maybe the team pays a little more or lets the player walk. But the market has spoken, all 31 teams could bid for Duggar’s services and NE had the right to match. What he got is the most the market offered. Nobody is the bad guy.

Patriots have signed 7 UFAs and 2 SFAs this off-season.
The Pats re-signed 7 of their own UFA. They re-signed 4 of 5 of their ERFAs.

The Pats let 6 UFAs walk. They let their RFA go and let 1 ERFA go.
The Pats ALSO cut 4 players and let 4 players from the PS go without offers.

The Pats also had 3 players retire. So that's 19 players from last year's roster who won't be returning. That's 23% of the players who were on the roster at the end of 2023.

What areas haven't been addressed other than LT ?? And yes, LTs taken in the 1st two rounds DO tend to start right away or at least some during their rookie year. Or do Matt Light, Nate Solder, and Isaiah Wynn not count?
QB

What you "think" is irrelevant. What matters is production. And Dugger produces.. I showed this when people tried to bring up Justin Simmons.
LOL - get over yourself. This entire place is for what people think.

They signed Brissett. They Have Rourke and Zappe. They are likely taking a QB in the 1st or 2nd round. Same with OT. Likely in the 1st or 2nd round.

When I say addressed, I mean they have actively signed a player for that position. Which is why I didn't mention FS (Hawkins) or WR (Osborn). Do I think that the Pats are done addressing those positions? No. They have 20 roster spots to fill with draft picks, UDFAs, and FAs. I fully expect that to happen and for there to be surprises.

LOL - get over yourself. This entire place is for what people think.
I'm not you, Ahmed. But you keep projecting those inadequacies onto others.

Don't like the deal. I don't think he would have gotten anywhere near this kind of money in the market, and we overpaid. With how conservative this FO has been when it comes to contracts, why overpay for a guy they can replace in house? If a couple extra million a year doesn't matter anyway, why didn't they do that with a Calvin Ridley, who was a much bigger need?

They signed Brissett. They Have Rourke and Zappe. They are likely taking a QB in the 1st or 2nd round. Same with OT. Likely in the 1st or 2nd round.

When I say addressed, I mean they have actively signed a player for that position. Which is why I didn't mention FS (Hawkins) or WR (Osborn). Do I think that the Pats are done addressing those positions? No. They have 20 roster spots to fill with draft picks, UDFAs, and FAs. I fully expect that to happen and for there to be surprises.
They signed Orkorofor too doesn't mean LT is set. They both are worst case scenarios. I still think we need a real starter at LT and QB.

That 32.5M in guarantees puts him 5th amongst safeties.

As for Barmore, why are you acting like re-signing Dugger precludes the Patriots from re-signing Barmore? The Pats still have over 46M in cap space. They could EASILY re-sign Barmore giving him SB this year and paying him $25M/year going forward and not blink an eye.

BTW, My telling you to "feel free to leave" is in regards to your whining. Which is what you were doing the entire thread. And that has nothing to do with being a homer. Just pointing out that some of us are sick of all the whining that goes on.
If you include the total value of his contract, at 58 Mil, he is about 9th on the safety pay hierchy which I think is mostly appropriate based on his play over the last 4 years, not last year as I thought he took a noticeable step back.

At no point did I whine about anything, I simply disagree with anyone that thinks this is a good signing (not saying he is not a good player), mainly because I don't think it's a necessary one for a team with a roster as bad as ours. We have a great group of young DBs and Peppers has been really good while playing a similar role to Dugger. Also disagree with anyone who thinks this sends the right message because it does not. The message it sends is that the team winning is secondary...

After the ridiculous mess we were all of last year, a complete purge would have been more appropriate. Even if it meant we stink again next year, but have a chance to seriously compete in 2 years. The way I see it right now, we might get to 7 wins next year and unless major changes are made or we get insanely lucky in tge draft that is where I unfortunately see us staying for the foreseeable future. Which is not something that appeals to me, it's Super Bowl contenders or bust for me, what can I say Brady and BB spoiled me!

Nobody loses when you let the open market determines worth, sure maybe the player doesn’t receive what he wanted or maybe the team pays a little more or lets the player walk. But the market has spoken, all 31 teams could bid for Duggar’s services and NE had the right to match. What he got is the most the market offered. Nobody is the bad guy.
The market spoke alright. Dugger is now the 4th or 5th highest paid S in the NFL.

He definitely won by forcing Kraft to open his gypsy moth ball checkbook. Other NE players soon to follow.

Dugger is 2nd in tackles for loss among safeties since 2021, 2nd in QB pressures, and high up in picks and every other category.

Patriots' fans undervalue almost everyone on the team and suffer severe grass-is-greener syndrome (because all most see of other players are highlight reels - hint, Dugger's highlight reel is likely spectacular).

As was stated before, if we don't pay, we're cheap, if we do, we're stupid and overpaid...

The market spoke alright. Dugger is now the 4th or 5th highest paid S in the NFL.

He definitely won by forcing Kraft to open his gypsy moth ball checkbook. Other NE players soon to follow.
Considering he's among the best strong safeties in the NFL, 4th or 5th highest paid is good value.

I don't get the consternation with this signing, anytime he's healthy he leads the team in solo tackles, is near tops in tackles for a loss and makes plays in the passing game. The guy's a stud.

They should find a legit free safety so Dugger can roam around the line of scrimmage more, they never replaced McCourty's center field skills and Kyle's speed is best used near the line.

Considering he's among the best strong safeties in the NFL, 4th or 5th highest paid is good value.

I don't get the consternation with this signing, anytime he's healthy he leads the team in solo tackles, is near tops in tackles for a loss and makes plays in the passing game. The guy's a stud.

They should find a legit free safety so Dugger can roam around the line of scrimmage more, they never replaced McCourty's center field skills and Kyle's speed is best used near the line.
If Dugger was the highest paid NFL S youd be telling me we got a good deal.

If the RB position is seeing a downturn in a passing NFL then why do you need a top 5 highest paid S who leads the team in tackles?

Everything is good according to you. Corky Mac Jones last preseason was a worldbeater.

Too much. I guess the team heard all the fans whining about spending more money. Too bad.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
Back