PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Dugger 4 yr extension $58 mil

I did not see the post but I do have a subscription, he has a 79.3 grade for the year which would be higher if not for the poor grade in 1 Q in Dallas. He has the highest of any Patriot, he would be 27th out of 141 in the NFL for the year if he maintained that play.

In addition he only played in 3 games and 1 quarter, and the poster here mentions "in his 5 games played"?

He was NOT the worst rated CB in PFF, not sure if there is some subset of the main metric but I see nothing indicating anything close to that?

First of all, that is on the year as a WHOLE. It was not after just 5 games. You're not showing what was said.

You have to look at the actual players. This doesn't happen in a vacuum.

We got great production out of Trey Flowers, Jamie Collins, JC Jackson, several others. But they were not worth max contracts. They got those max contracts in the open market, then they were cut. That tells me Belichick evaluated the situation properly.

We did give big contracts to guys that were top performers. Not everyone left. Shaq Mason, Hightower, McCourty, Gilmore re-upped.

I can only think of one guy who we missed on, Thuney, and that's really because Mason ate up all the money for guard.

I have to think that we would've resigned Dugger, Onwenu and Jennings if Belichick had stayed, given the record of the previous 10 yrs.
Agreed, on gilly he was given a "bump" in pay I believe wich was pushed over to the next year.. ultimately he was traded no suprise there. We did re up some guys.. but there are alot of guys that never got to a 2nd contract for 1 reason or another.

2 things i love about this offseason

- keeping the defense together is huge. Belichick for all that went wrong built a great d. This is hopefully a good indication of balance between transitioning from the mistakes ( mayo’s plans for supporting our new qb, which some took as a shot at bb but i see as relief) and holding onto the good. Alot of people here were saying to blow up the whole team and who knows maybe some new regime would have wanted to do the same.

- On a team that won 4 games last year, you have players willfully returning here without having to massively overpay. With the way our offense has been the last 2 years the fact that players on this defense not only continued to work their butt off, but want to stay and be a part of this is also good to see along with guys like onwenu/henry/bourne. We kept pretty much every noteworthy fa.

Yup. I am pretty optimistic ....yea these guys won four games...but with semi-competent QB play (e.g. Brissett) ...this team would have won 7-8 games easy....add back in Judon, Bourne, and Gonzales....9-10 wins easily. Now we have more emphasis on working out as evidenced by the workout bonuses we gave out and how Mayo likes pumping iron.... if we can get the OL gelled out...we should be very competitive this year.

How is it an overpay for Dugger when it's 2.5M/yr below what the Top Safeties in the league are getting? It puts Dugger as the 6th highest AAV at 14.5. IF he hits his bonuses then that's a good thing for him.
Because I don't think of him as a top safety.

Agreed, on gilly he was given a "bump" in pay I believe wich was pushed over to the next year.. ultimately he was traded no suprise there. We did re up some guys.. but there are alot of guys that never got to a 2nd contract for 1 reason or another.
But other than Thuney, none of those guys we let go lived up to their contracts with other teams. All of those players played well for us, but then they did badly with other teams.

people on this board are funny. complain all year that Bill doesn't keep his homegrown talent and how Kraft is cheap. then immediately when they actually re-sign one of their homegrown talent and pay them the market price its "omg what a mistake! what an overpay!"

can we please get rid of this "cheapo, lets find a deal" mindset?

Bill didn't resign anyone we drafted high for over a decade. and it was an assumption that we would lose duggar/onwenu. So I like this shift in philosophy

Last edited:
But other than Thuney, none of those guys we let go lived up to their contracts with other teams. All of those players played well for us, but then they did badly with other teams.
True. Thuney walked into a perfect situation. Taking 16 million in 2020 and then cashing in big in FA landing with Mahomes.. have 12 for so long keeping us competitive at the QB position was a huge caviat to attract FA and sway alot of guys to re-sign here.

First of all, that is on the year as a WHOLE. It was not after just 5 games. You're not showing what was said.
I don't understand the point, he only played 3 games and 1 quarter so his rating for the year is the same as his rating for the first 3+ games. There is NO WAY he ranks 27th in the league for the year but somehow was the worst CB after the first 3,4,5 or whatever games of the year.
FYI, He was the highest rated Patriots CB at the time of his injury.
If Jonathan Jones ranked lower than him in every single game of the first 3+ how is it Gonzalez would be lower than him cumulatively for example?
You can see the rating for each game, you cannot filter, as far as I can tell, for a certain # of games only, but it is irrelevant as you can look at the game by game of other corners and he 100% was NOT EVEN REMOTELY CLOSE to the worst rated CB in PFF. IT IS JUST NOT TRUE!
I mean he played 3 weeks and was one of the top-rated CB's in one of the weeks. How bad would he have to be in the other 9 quarters?

I guess that Dugger was the last re-signing. It is amazing me with all the talk about Belichick's poor player selection, yet all the Patriots have been doing is resigning players formerly selected by Bill. Just Amazing. When do the Patriots sign free agents, Oh that time passed. How do the Patriots fill all the holes? Via the Draft. We all know that most drafted players don't start. How about filing the needs with traded players, what do the Patriots have to trade with, players they just signed? I don't think so, that would just create more holes to fill. What a mess and it is all Bill Belichick's fault, I don't think so. Thank you Bob Kraft for screwing up this team.

Yup. I am pretty optimistic ....yea these guys won four games...but with semi-competent QB play (e.g. Brissett) ...this team would have won 7-8 games easy....add back in Judon, Bourne, and Gonzales....9-10 wins easily. Now we have more emphasis on working out as evidenced by the workout bonuses we gave out and how Mayo likes pumping iron.... if we can get the OL gelled out...we should be very competitive this year.
The Jets wont be a pushover this season with Rodgers healthy.

lxzwwycmrpczrz2ibyts.jpg

I still say as a fanbase we worry more about overpay and salary than anybody else. I Joe and dining for us to a roster that is considered the second worst in the NFL

Something to keep in mind is the pats almost have to overpay players (2022 Dugger is worth this contract regardless). The pats are one of 3 teams without anyone making 20 mil APY. The 49ers have 4, the Eagles have 4 & the Chiefs have 3. Hopefully Barmore will be the first.

Without elite players to pay the pats have to pay someone. They aren’t getting those players in FA either. I’m all for retaining homegrown players while you hopefully draft elite talent that you eventually pay down the road.

Transition tag was a smart move, the market set the price and New England was safe in protecting themselves from losing the player.
If Kraft did not match the offer Dugger was gone and the Pat's got nothing for him.

After losing out on Ridley can you imagine how cheep Thunder would appear if Dugger moved on?

Dugger agent won.

Something to keep in mind is the pats almost have to overpay players (2022 Dugger is worth this contract regardless). The pats are one of 3 teams without anyone making 20 mil APY. The 49ers have 4, the Eagles have 4 & the Chiefs have 3. Hopefully Barmore will be the first.

Without elite players to pay the pats have to pay someone. They aren’t getting those players in FA either. I’m all for retaining homegrown players while you hopefully draft elite talent that you eventually pay down the road.
Absolutely correct, without out elite players to sign the right thing to do was retain our own player's.. right now more than anything it's getting elite at the QB position.. once we solidify that it will become a magnet to guys like we're accustomed to for so long.

Absolutely on board with Barmore.. I believe the team is probably working with him to extend him.. I think they probably want to see another season out of him like he has last season.. simply becuase of his injury history.. Peppers is another guy that should be extended.

I guess that Dugger was the last re-signing. It is amazing me with all the talk about Belichick's poor player selection, yet all the Patriots have been doing is resigning players formerly selected by Bill. Just Amazing. When do the Patriots sign free agents, Oh that time passed. How do the Patriots fill all the holes? Via the Draft. We all know that most drafted players don't start. How about filing the needs with traded players, what do the Patriots have to trade with, players they just signed? I don't think so, that would just create more holes to fill. What a mess and it is all Bill Belichick's fault, I don't think so. Thank you Bob Kraft for screwing up this team.
We have a ready-made champion defense in my opinion... Bill did a great Job with the defense.. he left the offense bare.. mishandled the QB position.. that is what led to 4-13 , and a parting of ways...

It's a process here with getting the next QB right.. in the modern era of 21 century NFL you must be able to score. We didn't even look like an NFL offense at times last season.. once we secure the QB position the team will be able to Contend.

I still say as a fanbase we worry more about overpay and salary than anybody else. I Joe and dining for us to a roster that is considered the second worst in the NFL
That is true. It's because we were conditioned for 20 years that financial discipline wins.

As I said I think we overpaid but I am also good with it. We need a young core of high level players to build around and keep together for 3-4 years to succeed if we don't have an elite QB.

If we draft a Stroud though then we get a lot more room for error and we won't have to get every other player perfectly.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
Back