PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Drew Bledsoe to retire! or graduate?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes it is kind of a sad day. Here are a couple of thoughts on the career of Drew Bledsoe.

1. Unlike Brady, Drew had the misfortune of having to learn SEVERAL new systems over his career. It is easy to forget that IIRC, he never had the same OC 3 years in a row. Think about that. Brady has been in the same system his entire career, so has Manning. Football is difficult enough without having to learn new systems year after year. It won't be taken into concideration when we discuss Drew in the future, but I DO believe this really ******ed his career.

2. It is probably long forgotten, but it was actually Rick Meir who won the Rookie of the year award in Bledsoe's first year.

3. I think we have to give Drew credit for helping make us all aware of the term "pocket presence". His lack of it, was his greatest liability.

4. As mentioned several times in this thread, Drew Bledsoe was one very tough individual. He was every bit as tough as local icon Steve Grogan

5. Don't forget that Drew had a great year in Buffalo his first year away from Foxboro (the 2 games vs the Pats not withstanding). Then the very next year the Bills change OC's the the next year they change HC's and it all started to go downhill.

6. Bledsoe's career confirms in my mind how important luck plays in how an NFL career plays out. If a player finds himself with the right team with the right system, it can make a career. Find yourself in the wrong system, and it can break your career. There is nothing more important to a QB than consistancy. Unfortunately Drew NEVER had that. So what might have been a HOF career, merely turned into a very good career.

7. On the other hand, he DID make a LOT of money. ;)

8. The Bottom line is that Bledsoe helped save a franchise, and he should be remembered more for his successes than his failures. I agree heartily with those that believe that #11 belongs in the Pats ring of honor. I will be interested in seeing what Drew does as he moves on to the next chapter of his life. I bet its something productive.

I don't understand all this sentiment. The only valuable thing I remember is that he stepped aside and didn't make a big production out of it. I've never seen people make so many excuses for an average quarterback... he needs an offensive line... he needs talented WR's... he needs this and that.. and he'd be great. He's an average quarterback who has more bad qualities than good.

Bye Drew.

Back in 1994, I was a freshman in high school and I went to the mall looking to buy a football jersey. Everyone had either Aikman, Smith or Irvin so I was looking for something different.

I saw a Bledsoe jersey. Living in Texas, and just then starting to get into football seriously, I had heard of him but didn't know much past what I heard on the news. I honestly bought the jersey simply because I liked the colors and I thought the name sounded cool.

The next day, I'm heading to my locker down the senior hall and all these guys I don't know start saying, "Hey Bledsoe, what's up?" During sports, the same thing, all the upperclassmen called me Bledsoe. That was my nickname all through high school, and occasionally I still here it depending on who I bump into.

I was a very shy person before getting that jersey. It really helped me come out of my shell. Obviously Drew had nothing to do with that directly but he'll always be important to me for that reason.

I'm sure I'm like most people. I moved on from Drew once Tom took over. I still rooted for Drew though whenever it didn't affect us and it did hurt a little bit, even though it was definately time, to see that Drew was hanging up his cleats.

Thanks Drew.

from my side only: G R A Z I E D R E W !!!!!

you created hopes to me and you have been, for me, one of the best qb we ever had in our franchise history - thanks !

Back in 1994, I was a freshman in high school and I went to the mall looking to buy a football jersey. Everyone had either Aikman, Smith or Irvin so I was looking for something different.

I saw a Bledsoe jersey. Living in Texas, and just then starting to get into football seriously, I had heard of him but didn't know much past what I heard on the news. I honestly bought the jersey simply because I liked the colors and I thought the name sounded cool.

The next day, I'm heading to my locker down the senior hall and all these guys I don't know start saying, "Hey Bledsoe, what's up?" During sports, the same thing, all the upperclassmen called me Bledsoe. That was my nickname all through high school, and occasionally I still here it depending on who I bump into.

I was a very shy person before getting that jersey. It really helped me come out of my shell. Obviously Drew had nothing to do with that directly but he'll always be important to me for that reason.

I'm sure I'm like most people. I moved on from Drew once Tom took over. I still rooted for Drew though whenever it didn't affect us and it did hurt a little bit, even though it was definately time, to see that Drew was hanging up his cleats.

Thanks Drew.

That's a good story CPG. Thanks for sharing it. Drew is a classy guy. A bit pig-headed in his own way, perhaps, but he did provide some thrills for a brief time here in Foxboro. It's sad to see him leave the game without ever having fully realized his potential.

Well it took him long enough to make his decision:D :D :D

Heard on Dale & Holley today - I'm pretty sure they said that having collected $81 million over his career Bledsoe currently stands as having earned the most amount of money over that period of time

I missed the details - interesting trivia if that's the case - I guess it won't be too long before Brady and Manning overtake him though

I agree with PATSNUTme that something should be done to sign Bledsoe to

a one day contract so he can retire as a Pat. He had his best years with

us.

Drew's gonna be on the HotList at 3PM on ESPNews.

Heard on Dale & Holley today - I'm pretty sure they said that having collected $81 million over his career Bledsoe currently stands as having earned the most amount of money over that period of time

I missed the details - interesting trivia if that's the case - I guess it won't be too long before Brady and Manning overtake him though

Doesn't sound right - Manning's rookie deal was for $48M and he played out the entire contract (because they franchise tagged him briefly in 2005 before getting his current deal done) and he has already pocketed around $56M from his 2004 contract. That's over a hundred million for Peyton over the last 9 years. Even if you deduct this year he'd already pocketed well over $90M. By the time he's ready to retire Manning should have topped $170M.

I liked the fact that Drew was 8-2 against the Colts from 1996 till the end of his time in New England.

Like Parcells, like Foxboro.... Drew is an end of an era for the New England Patriots. It was an era not to be ashamed of, but a period that was necessary to get where we are today with Belichick, Kraft, Gillette and Brady.

I think he should be remembered as an All Pro caliber quarterback that was tough, came to work with his lunch box, was well prepared going into every game, a "team" guy (which is underrated even now with guys like Pacman running around and TO getting paid), classy and a leader.

No doubt Drew could had a more favorable situation and could had had better success, but it could had gone the other way. While he didn't have a very good line in his career (except Armstrong), he didn't have the intangibles to take advantage of the inadequacies around him. He might also be the best example of how good a QB can be when he has the arm and size, but doesn't have the intangibles.

Tom had the intangibles. Maybe Romo will prove to have the intangibles. Drew just didn't have it, but made up for it by coming in prepared every day.

Doesn't sound right - Manning's rookie deal was for $48M and he played out the entire contract (because they franchise tagged him briefly in 2005 before getting his current deal done) and he has already pocketed around $56M from his 2004 contract. That's over a hundred million for Peyton over the last 9 years. Even if you deduct this year he'd already pocketed well over $90M. By the time he's ready to retire Manning should have topped $170M.

Add another $50 million for all of his commercials and endorsements.

http://www.tmz.com/2006/08/14/peyton-manning-the-nfls-anna-kournikova/

Drew has nothing on Pey-me-a-ton.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk