PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Drew Bledsoe shows true colors

Status
Not open for further replies.
Who is claiming Drew Bledsoe is a Hall of Famer though? Most Bledsoe fans think he was a good, but not great QB. Some of the Bledsoe haters act like he was another Tony Eason though.
Well, some people are, but that's not the point.

upstater said, "I can name you some other QBs who didn't exactly live, eat and breathe football, like the guys who showed up for big games with hangovers. Some of these guys have Super Bowl rings."

I was simply pointing out that I can't think of any Super Bowl winning QB's in the modern era who showed up for big games with hangovers. Preparation and attitude ARE important.

I think the biggest thing here, is where the info is coming from....and that's a whitefish newspaper. I am sure Bledsoe was just saying how much he loved coming there, ect... he didn't say he hated football, but just that he loved the place (where the newspaper is)

and in bledsoe's defense, it is a great place:cool:

Well Dan Sapp manufactured a story here. Bledsoe gives a quote about how his biggest pleasure of the year is going Whitefishing to a magazine about Whitefishing. And then Sapp manufacturers the idea that Bledsoe is admitting to not having passion for football?

The way I took this was Bledsoe is playing to his audience. He is giving a quote to a whitefishing magazine so of course he is going to over sell his love of whitefishing. Celebrities do it all the time.
Way to pay attention. What the hell is 'whitefishing'?

The Whitefish Review is a new literary journal based in Whitefish, Montana that publishes fiction, non-fiction, poetry, art, photography, and interviews, with a slant toward mountain culture.

So while Whitefish is a PLACE, and The Whitefish Review is published there, its a bit of a stretch to suggest that it's audience is there, unless they've got nothing but mountain poets and photography buffs there. I think its a fair guess to say that The Whitefish Review hasn't exactly replaced Car and Driver in the rack at the Whitefish barber shop.

We'll gladly stand behind what we write and say on our site, and if someone has a serious point to make, we're all ears. But I have to admit that we were hoping that people would actually read the piece before they commented on it.

Last edited:
I guess its easy to pile on Drew based on the information gleaned from this article. We always questioned his commitment to the game, especially when you compare it to the monomania of a Tom Brady.

However I often wonder if history might have been different if Drew had ever had the good fortune to play in the SAME offensive system his entire career. Both Manning and Brady have had the luxury being in the same system, using the same semantics, running the same plays over and over again for years.

PFK, usually you are spot on, but I have to beg to differ. The Pats did not use the same offensive system in 2001 or 2002 or 2003. Each year, they changed it based on the personnel they had. In 2001, they had Troy Brown and no one else at WR to start with. They had an above average running game and no TEs to speak of. They rode their running game and used a passing attack that the pundits dubbed the "Dink and Dunk".

In 2002, They drafted Graham and signed Fauria. They also picked up Branch and Givens, though Givens didn't see much time. But the Pats running game wasn't there to speak of. The offense was pass happy with Brady putting it up over 600 times.

In 2003, they started using more sets that used the TEs. But the Pats used a bunch of multi-receiver sets this year as well.

Now, I will agree that it was all monitored by the same OC so it made the transition easier between the different systems, but they were different systems.

Compare that what Bledsoe faced after Parcells left. For the rest of his career, IIRC, Bledsoe NEVER ran the same offensive system 3 years in a row. Almost every other year he had to go through different OC's or systems. Litterally by the time BB became the HC, Bledsoe had been through 3 DIFFERENT OC's from 1995-2000. Then BB comes in and there is another drastic change in offensive philosophy. One that directly emphasized skills that Bledsoe just didn't have. He was doomed.

I just wonder if the attitude Bledsoe showed in this article wasn't fostered to some degree by the frustrations of having to learn new offensive systems virtually every other year for what SHOULD have been the prime of his career.

BOTTOM LINE is that Bledsoe gave the Pats true value for their investment in him. He was tough to the point of courageousness. He always gave his best, and he helped bring this franchise back from laughability to respect. Bellichick and Brady then took it to the next level...greatness.

But just because, for a number of reasons, Bledsoe ended up being a very good NFL QB, but with flaws in his game, we shouldn't minimize Bledsoe's important contribution to Patriots history.

I agree that Bledsoe made an important contribution to Pats history. Himself, Parcells and Kraft rescued the Pats. If not for those 3 people, the Pats would not have 3 SB rings.

Pathetic.........BB knew and thats why "Deadslow" was gonzo. I saw an interview with Curtis Martin bascially saying the same thing. He said he isn't even a football fan. Said he doesn't watch it at all. I think that was his bitterness talking. He hated losing and knowing he really would never have a chance to win a Super Bowl.

I'm sorry, but I can't agree with this. If BB KNEW and that was why Bledsoe was gonzo, then why is it that it was BB and Pioli that gave Bledsoe that 7 year 100 million (?) extension after the 2000/2001 season? BB and Pioli would have never committed that sort of money to a player if they felt he wasn't committed.

I'm sorry, but I can't agree with this. If BB KNEW and that was why Bledsoe was gonzo, then why is it that it was BB and Pioli that gave Bledsoe that 7 year 100 million (?) extension after the 2000/2001 season? BB and Pioli would have never committed that sort of money to a player if they felt he wasn't committed.
\

we got bingo

Way to pay attention. What the hell is 'whitefishing'?

So while Whitefish is a PLACE, and The Whitefish Review is published there, its a bit of a stretch to suggest that it's audience is there, unless they've got nothing but mountain poets and photography buffs there. I think its a fair guess to say that The Whitefish Review hasn't exactly replaced Car and Driver in the rack at the Whitefish barber shop.

We'll gladly stand behind what we write and say on our site, and if someone has a serious point to make, we're all ears. But I have to admit that we were hoping that people would actually read the piece before they commented on it.

I already said I misread the quote.

I don't get what you are talking about with the audience. I assume that 99.999999999999999999% of the people who read that publication are either Whitefish residents (or surrounding area residents) or people who vacation in the Whitefish area. In other words, his audience are passionate about Whitefish, MT. People don't read that publication to get serious football discussion. So he was playing to his audience. The fact that it isn't Car and Driver that goes to a more general audience even more supports that he is playing to his audience because the audience of this magazine is very specific in their focus of interest.

I went back and reread the piece. It is sooooo obvious he is playing to his audience it isn't funny. I only quickly glanced at the piece and could pick that up easier than you who read the whole thing.

P.S. you know what isn't a serious point? Writing an entire article about Bledsoe not having passion for the game because he talked up Whitefish, MT in a magazine that is all about Whitefish, MT.

Last edited:

Although I think Kraft pressured them to make this deal because this was a very Kraft type of deal from the Greer days, I do agree that if Belichick questioned Bledsoe's some kind of passion for the game no way would he give him what was the richest contract of any other player at the time. Maybe Favre got more than Bledsoe, but that was it at the time.

Well Dan Sapp manufactured a story here. Bledsoe gives a quote about how his biggest pleasure of the year is going Whitefishing to a magazine about Whitefishing. And then Sapp manufacturers the idea that Bledsoe is admitting to not having passion for football?

The way I took this was Bledsoe is playing to his audience. He is giving a quote to a whitefishing magazine so of course he is going to over sell his love of whitefishing. Celebrities do it all the time.

I know there is a strong contigent of fans who hate Bledsoe and will run with this story, but I don't see any story here to run with. It wasn't like Bledsoe said he didn't have a passion for football or that he didn't like work hard at it. He just said he had a passion for whitefishing and missed it when he was not doing it.

Actually, the story has existed for close to a decade; the quote is simply more confirmation.

Actually, the story has existed for close to a decade; the quote is simply more confirmation.

More confirmation? Because he says loves Whitefish, MT in a publication all about Whitefish, MT? This a throw away quote in a tiny publication where Bledsoe never admitted that didn't have passion for the game and just said that Whitefish is his favor place to be which is basically pandering to his audience.

Bledsoe may not have had the proper passion for the game, but Sapp and Bledsoe bashers are making more of this quote than Bledsoe probably ever intended. Even if Bledsoe didn't have passion for football, do you really think he would admit it to the Whitefish Review of all publications?

We've got Dan Snapp up with a new column this morning, noting some recent comments from Drew Bledsoe, and how football never really seemed to be a priority with him.

Drew Colors

What did you expect? He's a West Coast guy.

Guys like Seau and Brady are an abberation, not the norm. Something about the air off the Pacific ocean makes these guys into total heartless pu s s ies.

They are better suited to surfing and fly-fishing. Taking the convertible for a drive down the PCH with a stop for some stone-wheat crackers, mango salsa, brie and cabernet in Carmel is more their speed.

They need some of that salty, gritty Atlantic Ocean spirit in them!

Of course, the baddest of the bad come from East of the Mississippi, south of the Old Mason-Dixon line!

Yes, I am talking about the SOUTH, baby! Where football players are BORN and BRED!

You see more talent in the annual Florida-Georgia HIGH SCHOOL All-Star game than you see in the entire states of Washington, Oregon and Cali-forn-I-ay combined!

Go to Whitefish, Drew. Thanks for the memories. But we never would have had one ring - much less three - if Mo Lewis hadn't done his charity work for us back in '01!

Geez, I am not even a huge Bledsoe supporter and I have to defend this guy for a throw away quote in a nothing publication.

I don't wanna point any fingers, but I really think there are some here who could use this : http://www.rif.org/

Yeah, I agree. People actually see Bledsoe saying he didn't have passion for football in his quote where there clearly was none.

Thanks for not calling them out.

Hey, I already admitted I glanced it quickly. Sorry, I am at work and didn't have the time at that point to give it's proper attention. I was wrong about the content of the publication, but I don't know how any unbiased person can't see that Bledsoe was just playing to his audience. it is a publication about Whitefish and he is talking up Whitefish. Why did you expect him to say?

I mean the orginal poster wrote:

We've got Dan Snapp up with a new column this morning, noting some recent comments from Drew Bledsoe, and how football never really seemed to be a priority with him.

Where did Bledsoe say that football was never a priority for him?

Last edited:
Well, some people are, but that's not the point.

upstater said, "I can name you some other QBs who didn't exactly live, eat and breathe football, like the guys who showed up for big games with hangovers. Some of these guys have Super Bowl rings."

I was simply pointing out that I can't think of any Super Bowl winning QB's in the modern era who showed up for big games with hangovers. Preparation and attitude ARE important.

What do you call the modern era?

What about Ken Stabler?

Look at some of the guys who have won in the last 30 odd years. Some have been real characters, and this goes all the way from Namath to several others who had questionable priorities.

I was wrong about the content of the publication, but I don't know how any unbiased person can't see that Bledsoe was just playing to his audience.

Read. Deeper. You seem hung up on this Whitefish thing. Here's what others are paying attention to:

"The best day of my year was always the day after the season when we landed in Whitefish and I could feel myself exhale. ... The worst day of my year was always that last day of my summer."
He's not just saying it was good to get home. He's saying the BEST DAY of the ENTIRE YEAR, was when he was finally done with the football season.

He's not just saying he wasn't in a hurry to leave his palatial estate on the lake to go back to work, he goes even farther and states that it's the WORST DAY of the ENTIRE year.

I'm not hanging the guy for the comments, I could care less, but I'm not surprised by the reaction of many here, who felt for years that football wasn't a real passion or priority for Bledsoe. I mean this notion is really not new around here.

P.S. you know what isn't a serious point? Writing an entire article about Bledsoe not having passion for the game because he talked up Whitefish, MT in a magazine that is all about Whitefish, MT.

Right. Because we couldn't have possibly seen anything else in the previous 13 years that would have given us any reason to think Drew Bledsoe might not have been the most diligent cat when it came to his responsibilities as the team's starting quarterback and the team's highest paid player. It all came from the Whitefish Review. You got us.

Read. Deeper. You seem hung up on this Whitefish thing. Here's what others are paying attention to:

He's not just saying it was good to get home. He's saying the BEST DAY of the ENTIRE YEAR, was when he was finally done with the football season.

He's not just saying he wasn't in a hurry to leave his palatial estate on the lake to go back to work, he goes even farther and states that it's the WORST DAY of the ENTIRE year.

I'm not hanging the guy for the comments, I could care less, but I'm not surprised by the reaction of many here, who felt for years that football wasn't a real passion or priority for Bledsoe. I mean this notion is really not new around here.

And if he was really playing to his audience who obviously are passionate about Whitefish, would expect him to say anything else. Just because he loves Whitefish and liked being there in the offseason, doesn't mean that he didn't have a passion about football.

Hey I agree that Bledsoe should have done more in the offseason than he did. He didn't work hard enough in the offseason. He might even admit that today.

I just don't get the uproar about a quote of him talking about Whitefish, MT is his favorite place in the world in a rinky-dink publication that is geared towards people who like/love Whitefish. I'm sure Brett Favre feels the same way about his offseason destination place in Mississippi that he takes off to when his season ends.

I just don't see any evidence of him admitting that football wasn't a passion. Everyone who followed the Patriots in the 90s knows that Bledsoe rather spend his offseason in Montana than practicing at Foxboro. I don't know how his quotes in the Whitefish Review changed anything. All you can really get by reading his quotes is that he really liked being in Whitefish during the offseason.

Right. Because we couldn't have possibly seen anything else in the previous 13 years that would have given us any reason to think Drew Bledsoe might not have been the most diligent cat when it came to his responsibilities as the team's starting quarterback and the team's highest paid player. It all came from the Whitefish Review. You got us.

But again, what did Bledsoe say that we didn't already know. That he loves to spend his offseasons in Montana and not at the Pats' facilities like Brady does? Is that really new news? I didn't see him say he didn't like football.

PFK, usually you are spot on, but I have to beg to differ. The Pats did not use the same offensive system in 2001 or 2002 or 2003. Each year, they changed it based on the personnel they had. In 2001, they had Troy Brown and no one else at WR to start with. They had an above average running game and no TEs to speak of. They rode their running game and used a passing attack that the pundits dubbed the "Dink and Dunk".

In 2002, They drafted Graham and signed Fauria. They also picked up Branch and Givens, though Givens didn't see much time. But the Pats running game wasn't there to speak of. The offense was pass happy with Brady putting it up over 600 times.

In 2003, they started using more sets that used the TEs. But the Pats used a bunch of multi-receiver sets this year as well.

Now, I will agree that it was all monitored by the same OC so it made the transition easier between the different systems, but they were different systems.

I'm not sure what the criticism is here, DB. The point I'm making is that after developing in an offensive system during the Parcells years in his first 4 years. (I don't remember who the DC was). Bledsoe had 2 different OCs during the Caroll years, and then Charlie when BB came back to town. That's literally 4 DCs in 6 seasons. So much for the comfort of continuity.

While I'm sure offenses change somewhat due to personel wants and needs, the fact remains that Brady has had since his first day in Pats camp in 2000, ONE SYSTEM. ONE set of semantics. ONE basic philosophy. ONE set of reads. That's a HUGE advantage for any QB over a series of years.

Its no coincidence that Manning has thrived and grown in their system. He's had the same OC, running the same system (Tom Moore) since day one. Compare that to the Bledsoe experience of having to learn to operate in 4 DIFFERENT Systems in 6 seasons from 95-2000.

I am willing to grant that this isn't the ONLY reason for the flaws we all recognize in Drew's game, but it could account in some of frustrations that might have lead him to think that the best day of the year was the end of the football season. I certainly believe that he would have been a much better QB had he had the luxury of being in the same basic system all his career...as I think any QB would benefit.

I agree that Bledsoe made an important contribution to Pats history. Himself, Parcells and Kraft rescued the Pats. If not for those 3 people, the Pats would not have 3 SB rings.

Agree 100%. I have NEVER understood the odd attitude SOME Pats fans took that made them better Pats fans than the rest of us because they liked Brady over Bledsoe, or the fact that if you admired Bledsoe and his contribution to this franchise, you must have thought he was better than Brady. :rolleyes:

Clearly this offensive system was never intended for the skill set the Bledsoe offered where decision making was more valued than arm strength. Where timing short routes were the basis of the defense with short drops and quick throws. All this must have very daunting for a guy who spent his entire career dropping back 7 steps to throw medium to long routes.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case