PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Drew Bledsoe shows true colors

Status
Not open for further replies.
How many veterans like training camp? My guess is 0. So I'm sure most hate the day before training camp begins. I remember a Henry Thomas 5 minute monolouge on how much he hated training camp. I beleive Lawyer Milloy said he started to dread it a week before camp began.

I think his quote says more about the pressure Drew put on himself and how being in Whitefish releave that pressure. "when we landed in Whitefish and I could feel myself exhale. Like the pressure was lifted off my shoulders - a physical feeling when we would get into Whitefish". I think he was happy to get away from the pressure, not the game. Considering all of his seasons ended badly for him, why wouldn't he enjoys getting away for a bit.

Drew's biggest problem was the pressure he put on himself rather than a lack of passion for the game. If he didn't love the game, he would never have returned from the Mo Lewis injury. According to reports, he was 5 minutes away from being bleeding to death. You don't return to the game which almost killed you without having a passion or love for it.

I for one am glad that BB had the opportunity and sagacity to know his QBs up close and personal and that he chose the guy with heart, a love of football, the dedication to work tirelessly (Larry Bird style) improve his own game every off-season, the intelligence to read defenses, and the leadership ability to motivate his teamates, enabling them to play better. The choice was obvious to all except the Bledsoe Krishnae in the 2001 training camp. The challenge was for a 5-11 losing record re-tread NFL coach to implement the change given the starter's big contract, the hostile Boston press and emotional love of the starter by the owner.

The "Bledsoe saved the Pats from moving to St. Louis" belief is a myth.

The only person responsible for the Pats remaining in Foxboro was Robert Kraft. Orthwein wanted to move the team to St. Louis but Kraft wouldn't let him out of the iron clad contract that required the Pats to play at the old Foxboro Stadium for 'x' (don't remember how many) years.

Doesn't suprise me one bit. He is the classic example of a guy who has all the talent in the world but just doesn't have the heart or the desire.

Bledsoe was part of a rebirth of the franchise.. Kraft saved the team, I felt after 97 Bledsoe regressed. He never pushed himself, because he felt he never had to work for his so called job.. I was a big Drew fan, but that he just never seemed to get better was frustrating..

Also to Drew's defense he had numerous offensive schemes to always learn..

Eason had certain abilities that Bledsoe lacked.
He did indeed, but if I were you I would prepare myself to get seriously flamed by a certain segment of our members for having the audicity to suggest that Eason was better than Bledsoe in any way! ;)

Last edited:
Doesn't suprise me one bit. He is the classic example of a guy who has all the talent in the world but just doesn't have the heart or the desire.

That's just nonsense. He played with pins in his fingers and he was chomping at the bit to get back playing after he was almost killed. All you people attacking Bledsoe seem to be overlooking those sorts of little details.

Drew's biggest problem was the pressure he put on himself rather than a lack of passion for the game. If he didn't love the game, he would never have returned from the Mo Lewis injury.
Drew didn't learn his lesson on the lewis hit because he took the same exact hit in the afcc game against pitt within the first couple of snaps.

Drew was getting paid a lot of money and he had his bills to pay. Drew liked the game, he didn't love it and his work ethic reflected it.

That's just nonsense. He played with pins in his fingers and he was chomping at the bit to get back playing after he was almost killed. All you people attacking Bledsoe seem to be overlooking those sorts of little details.

He says himself that he dreaded the start of football season. He says it right there. He wasn't one of those people who had football in his blood. Are you saying he lied or something? There are several million reasons why a player would push himself to play the sport even if he didn't totally loved it.

Last edited:
I was a big Bledsoe fan, but Tom Curren had a great story for the Metowest news , when he was working there in 2000, that there was thoughts in the orginization he was not working hard, etc... I always felt Bledsoe did not do the little things to be a great QB, he felt like he was the man, ala in Buffalo and in Dallas, and did not have to work hard for his job.. Drew if he worked on the little things like he did in 96 , he could have been one of the greats.. Instead he was a solid Qb with great Stats..

* I always wondered why in the offseason he didn't do something to improve one of his biggest problems. Do something to improve his cement shoes feet. Take dancing lessons, or judo, something. I don't think dangling hios feet in a lake was going to do it.

He says himself that he dreaded the start of football season. He says it right there. He wasn't one of those people who had football in his blood. Are you saying he lied or something? There are several million reasons why a player would push himself to play the sport even if he didn't totally loved it.

This is what's known as taking a line and making up a whole load of bull**** behind it. Here:

Most players hate training camp, the heat, the sweating, the cramps, the meetings, just being away from home.

From
http://www.northjersey.com/page.php?qstr=eXJpcnk3ZjczN2Y3dnFlZUVFeXkxMjAmZmdiZWw3Zjd2cWVlRUV5eTcxNzU3ODUmeXJpcnk3ZjcxN2Y3dnFlZUVFeXk2

Imagine training camp. These guys virtually turn into human crash dummies; the physical wear-and-tear is tremendous. So it's no wonder most players hate training camp

From
http://cbs3.com/sports/local_story_213174509.html

"I hate camp, but I know it's needed for the variety of guys to get to know each other, get the team all on the same page," Jackson said. "I've had a couple of veterans say that it helps you harden your body for the abuse that you are going to take during the season. But me myself, I hate it."

From
http://www.bnd.com/sports/rams/story/90906.html

Pretty much every player hates training camp. All this nonsense trying to act as if Bledsoe's comments show a problem is ridiculous.

Eason had certain abilities that Bledsoe lacked.

What? The inate ability to fall to the ground and roll up into the fetal position every time a defender was within 3 yards of him? From what I remembered of Eason, no QB has ever gotten more sacks where the QB fell to the ground before the defense made their first contact on them than Eason.

Last edited:
The "Bledsoe saved the Pats from moving to St. Louis" belief is a myth.

The only person responsible for the Pats remaining in Foxboro was Robert Kraft. Orthwein wanted to move the team to St. Louis but Kraft wouldn't let him out of the iron clad contract that required the Pats to play at the old Foxboro Stadium for 'x' (don't remember how many) years.
Nice to see someone talking some common sense - although apparently it isn't all that common. If it wasn't for Bob Kraft, Orthwein would have taken the Pats to St. Louis and Bledsoe and Parcells would have gone along with him.

Drew's biggest problem was the pressure he put on himself rather than a lack of passion for the game. If he didn't love the game, he would never have returned from the Mo Lewis injury. According to reports, he was 5 minutes away from being bleeding to death. You don't return to the game which almost killed you without having a passion or love for it.
That doesn't prove Bledsoe had a passion for the game so much as it proves he had a passion for being "the man". He was always "the man", from high school through college and throughout his NFL career, until the Mo Lewis hit.

No one is arguing that he didn't want to play - whether to be in the spotlight or to garner the accolades of winning - he definitely wanted to be on the field and be "the man". When he couldn't be the man any longer he suddenly lost his passion for the game which you say he had - but I contend that if he had so much passion for the game he would have been happy to be a backup just to be around the game and to have a chance to get back on the field.

What people are arguing here is whether Bledsoe had the work ethic to raise his game to the next level. I agree with those who say he didn't. He never really worked at improving on his weaknesses, he didn't want to be around in the off-season, etc.

In an interview for The Whitefish Review, Bledsoe says "The best day of my year was always the day after the season when we landed in Whitefish."

What do you expect him to say? The lake sucks and all he could think about was the previous football season?

From that one quote, the author spins a rather nasty character assassination. Good grief.

Western Montana IS one of the best places (when it isn't on fire like now)IMO as well as Bledsoe's... Nothing wrong with saying this.

This is what's known as taking a line and making up a whole load of bull**** behind it. Here:

From
http://www.northjersey.com/page.php?qstr=eXJpcnk3ZjczN2Y3dnFlZUVFeXkxMjAmZmdiZWw3Zjd2cWVlRUV5eTcxNzU3ODUmeXJpcnk3ZjcxN2Y3dnFlZUVFeXk2

From
http://cbs3.com/sports/local_story_213174509.html

From
http://www.bnd.com/sports/rams/story/90906.html

Pretty much every player hates training camp. All this nonsense trying to act as if Bledsoe's comments show a problem is ridiculous.

Trying to act is if Bledsoe's comments are fine is ridiculous. Saying the best day of you're life is the day after the season ended is fine? WTF? It is one thing to hate training camp as that is widely renowned as the least fun part of being a pro football player. But it is still something you have to do because it is part of your job. But saying that the best day of your life is the day the season ends is completely different. The season is what you push through training camp in order to get to. It is the payoff. So I wonder, If Bledsoe didn't like training camp or the season, what part of pro football did he enjoy? Also consider the goal of a quarterback is to keep his season going for as long as possible. Guess those playoff losses aren't so hard to handle when it means the best day of your life is coming sooner rather than later. In the NFL a quarterback can never be truly great unless he really love what he does. Drew was never truly great. I could never, EVER picture Brady saying these same comments. You can defend it how you want, but when you say that the best day of your life is the day where something ends, then you do not love that something. It is as simple as that.

Last edited:
trackbledsoeltp04132007.jpg

This is from a Thursday before a road game in Tampa.

Last edited:
He did indeed, but if I were you I would prepare myself to get seriously flamed by a certain segment of our members for having the audicity to suggest that Eason was better than Bledsoe in any way! ;)

You're right, but I can handle it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back