PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Drew Bledsoe shows true colors

Status
Not open for further replies.
Deus Irae has the best take on it.

Drew is simply saying he preferred that first day of vacation, time with his family, over football. That doesn't mean he didn't love to play ad wasn't wildly competitive on the field. He obviously was. Come on, don't spin the article.

You think Brady is going to be as monomaniacal now that he has a little one coming along. I bet not.

Exactly. Favre loves to hunt in the offseason, too. That must be why he never reached the "Montana" type of status, either...

Oh, wait....

come now...Favre and Montana in the same sentence...?

Bledsoe was toast somewhere in between being sacked 700 times in a season while playing in his 23rd different offensive scheme.

I begrudge him nothing, but I hardly deify him as savior of the New England Patriots.

Maybe the challenge is that many newer fans of the Patriots relate Bledsoe to everything good that the franchise did prior to Tom Brady. If my NEP QB isn't Tom Brady, then its Grogan. Drew had some highlights, but his tenure at the helm in NE was 2~3 years too long.

See, this is the sort of logic I never understood from the Bledsoe-Krishnas. Anyone that dares utter one single negative word about Bledsoe and all of a sudden it's "Law off Drew" and "Don't be so hard on Drew"
You probably still won't understand because you seem to need to defend your choice by ridiculing the other choice (Bledsoe Krishnas), but it is possible be prefer one QB to the other without having to trash the name of the other, believe it or not.

If you don't recognize that Bledsoe saved this franchise, it is unlikely you were paying attention in the 90's.

I think Brady is a better QB. I would rather have him on my team any day. But I am able to say that and still recognize that Bledsoe did a lot for this franchise, and that he is a stand-up guy, and fine person.

See, the logic I never understood from you and others, is why you simply cannot elevate your choice. If you need to lower the other choice, perhaps you do not see yours as all that high to begin with?

There is no dishonor is not being as good as Brady, and you were one of the vat majority of fans who saw Brady as the better QB. You are one of the few fans who cannot see that Bledsoe had value to this team, also, and deserves to be remembered as such.

But if you cannot see Brady as being better than Bledsoe unless you reduce the stature of Bledsoe, fine, refer to others as Bledsoe-Krishnas if it makes you feel more secure in your position.

I can name you some other QBs who didn't exactly live, eat and breathe football, like the guys who showed up for big games with hangovers. Some of these guys have Super Bowl rings.

It's not "truth", first of all.
Oh really...? What parts are not true...?
Second, the article is bashing Bledsoe, and your claim that the article is "Fair minded and accurate" is supportive of such bashing.
Oh really..? What parts are "bashing"...? NOTE: Speaking the truth, like Bledsoe didn't have a passion for playing football, isn't bashing.
Third, Bledsoe is a Hall of Fame caliber quarterback who's strengths were hanging in the pocket and getting the ball in spots nobody else could throw to. These strengths were perfect when the team had a good offensive line and a top flight tight end to use as a safety valve.
I agree... his strengths came out when his offensive line gave him all day and he had an All-World TE to throw to.
They are not, however, requirements in the BB style of offense. His weaknesses are his immobility in the pocket, his tendency to hold the ball and look for the big play, and his occasional bad gamble. These are all anathema to the BB style of offense and are really better suited to the 1970's and 1980's style of play. They don't make BB "right", they make the two people a bad fit. Amazingly enough, this quarterback with all these faults was able to get the team to the Super Bowl. I guess it's also Bledsoe's fault that the Patriots' special teams couldn't have stopped Desmond Howard that day even if they'd been shooting at him with machine guns.
Ah yes, the typical wail of the Bledsoe Krishna. It's probably not Bledsoe's fault Desmond Howard scored that TD, but those 4 interceptions were probably Bledsoe's fault.
Fourth, I love Brady as a quarterback, but it's time for the Bledsoe bashers to be honest. If it had been Bledsoe tossing the picks in the Broncos and Colts games, there would be posts about it made on a daily basis. Brady's gotten a little bit of heat for them, but nothing near what Bledsoe would have taken. As for Brady taking forever and a day to make that throw to Caldwell last season, well.... Bledsoe would have been excoriated 24/7 since then. Brady gets almost a complete pass on this "slow" read.
The final lament of the Bledsoe-Krishnas... you do realize that you only further humiliate yourself by making comparisons to Brady, right..?

If you don't recognize that Bledsoe saved this franchise, it is unlikely you were paying attention in the 90's.
Either that or, unlike you, I actually know what I am talking about.

Bob Kraft saved this franchise. If it wasn't for him, that whole club (including Parcells and Bledsoe) would have picked up and moved to St. Louis.
I think Brady is a better QB. I would rather have him on my team any day. But I am able to say that and still recognize that Bledsoe did a lot for this franchise, and that he is a stand-up guy, and fine person.
I agree with those statements and I haven't said anything that contradicts that.
See, the logic I never understood from you and others, is why you simply cannot elevate your choice. If you need to lower the other choice, perhaps you do not see yours as all that high to begin with?
Yeah... sure... you're right... deep down, I am secretly insecure that Brady really isn't as good as Bledsoe... boy you sure saw through me... :rolleyes:
There is no dishonor is not being as good as Brady, and you were one of the vat majority of fans who saw Brady as the better QB. You are one of the few fans who cannot see that Bledsoe had value to this team, also, and deserves to be remembered as such.
Typical Bledsoe-Krishna remark... I accurately state that Bledsoe did not have the same passion for the game that we see in many champions, and all of a sudden you accuse me of saying Bledsoe had no value to the team.

Maybe if you weren't so busy revising history and putting words in my mouth, you'd be able to understand my remarks and their context...

I can name you some other QBs who didn't exactly live, eat and breathe football, like the guys who showed up for big games with hangovers. Some of these guys have Super Bowl rings.
If you're referring to Joe Namath, that is an inappropriate comparison. Willy Joe played in a totally different era. It was an era when football was not a twelve month a year job, when guys showed up to training camp to get into shape, when guys openly smoked in the locker room, when nobody became a Rockefeller by playing football. It was an era when football players weren't expected to be as personally disciplined as they are today, and society as a whole not only was more tolerant of such personal habits as smoking and drinking, but encouraged it, disparaging those who refused to partake as "square".

Now if you can name a modern era quarterback who won a Super Bowl after showing up for a big game (meaning a playoff game leading to a Super Bowl victory) with a hangover, then I will stand corrected.

Well Dan Sapp manufactured a story here. Bledsoe gives a quote about how his biggest pleasure of the year is going Whitefishing to a magazine about Whitefishing. And then Sapp manufacturers the idea that Bledsoe is admitting to not having passion for football?

The way I took this was Bledsoe is playing to his audience. He is giving a quote to a whitefishing magazine so of course he is going to over sell his love of whitefishing. Celebrities do it all the time.

I know there is a strong contigent of fans who hate Bledsoe and will run with this story, but I don't see any story here to run with. It wasn't like Bledsoe said he didn't have a passion for football or that he didn't like work hard at it. He just said he had a passion for whitefishing and missed it when he was not doing it.

I am not trying to be a Bledsoe apologist. He was a very talented QB with some big limitations.

If you're referring to Joe Namath, that is an inappropriate comparison. Willy Joe played in a totally different era. It was an era when football was not a twelve month a year job, when guys showed up to training camp to get into shape, when guys openly smoked in the locker room, when nobody became a Rockefeller by playing football. It was an era when football players weren't expected to be as personally disciplined as they are today, and society as a whole not only was more tolerant of such personal habits as smoking and drinking, but encouraged it, disparaging those who refused to partake as "square".

Now if you can name a modern era quarterback who won a Super Bowl after showing up for a big game (meaning a playoff game leading to a Super Bowl victory) with a hangover, then I will stand corrected.

Jim McMahon

Jim McMahon
Twenty years ago but closer to modern era, I'll grant you that. However, Jim McMahon will never be in the Hall of Fame unless he buys a ticket. His team was dominant not because of him, but despite of him. Walter Peyton, Mike Singletary and Buddy Ryan's 46 defense were the reasons that team won.

There has been talk that Ben Roethlisberger doesn't approach the game like he should. Much like Bledsoe was labelled correctly or incorrectly so.

Twenty years ago but closer to modern era, I'll grant you that. However, Jim McMahon will never be in the Hall of Fame unless he buys a ticket. His team was dominant not because of him, but despite of him. Walter Peyton, Mike Singletary and Buddy Ryan's 46 defense were the reasons that team won.

Who is claiming Drew Bledsoe is a Hall of Famer though? Most Bledsoe fans think he was a good, but not great QB. Some of the Bledsoe haters act like he was another Tony Eason though.

I give Bledsoe his props. He played well, probably could have put more effort in but all of us on this board are guilty of not giving 100%...really.

Bledsoe looked at it as a job, which ultimatley it is, I can't blame him for wanting to get away from football after all those heat driven practices, week in an week out preparation in the regular season, cut the guy some slack people...

In the end, we got a great QB and i think more importantly great coach. As fans we should be giddy about this upcoming year. It could also be a time to reflect about the late 80's and early 90's when things kinda sucked.

When Bledsoe came in he gave us hope and I thank him for that. He gave us some great memories, esp the fog game against the Steelers which was great!!, and many others. I want to thank Drew for all the hard work he put in for himself and he teamates and the fans of the NEP and I hope he kicks back and has a great retirement. Retired at 35 with lots of cash an a SB ring, dude nothing wrong with that....

I don't find the need to 'tell it like it is' or bash or not bash eithe Bledsoe, Brady, Belichick, Parcells, Offensive Co-ordinators, Kraft, Mickey Mouse and Disney World or what the hell ever....

It is what it is, everyone's happy, let's move on...

Well Dan Sapp manufactured a story here. Bledsoe gives a quote about how his biggest pleasure of the year is going Whitefishing to a magazine about Whitefishing. And then Sapp manufacturers the idea that Bledsoe is admitting to not having passion for football?

The way I took this was Bledsoe is playing to his audience. He is giving a quote to a whitefishing magazine so of course he is going to over sell his love of whitefishing. Celebrities do it all the time.

I know there is a strong contigent of fans who hate Bledsoe and will run with this story, but I don't see any story here to run with. It wasn't like Bledsoe said he didn't have a passion for football or that he didn't like work hard at it. He just said he had a passion for whitefishing and missed it when he was not doing it.

I am not trying to be a Bledsoe apologist. He was a very talented QB with some big limitations.

FYI... this wasn't his attempt to sell his love of whitefishing to a whitefishing magazine, this was in a story titled "Drew Bledsoe and the Art of Football" featured in The Whitefish Review, "a new literary journal based in Whitefish, Montana that publishes fiction, non-fiction, poetry, art, photography, and interviews, with a slant toward mountain culture".

Ah yes... the great Brady/Bledsoe wars of 2001-2003. I am a proud, founding member of Brady's Ladies... of course, the Bledsoe Krishnas are simply nowhere to be found to this very day... probably sitting at home wearing a Buffalo Bills #11 jersey wondering how it all went so wrong so fast... :D

"I stand by my statement: Tom Brady is playing better over these past 9 games than Drew Bledsoe has in any of his 9 NFL seasons. Stick with the hot hand." - QuiGon, November 30, 2001.

"and as I have often pointed out, I look at record more than I look at rating. 6-3 versus 5-13. That ain't a QB controversy, that's a QB no brainer." - QuiGon, December 2, 2001.

"BRADY IS GOD. come on aboard..!! all you former Bledsoe abckers that talked about how
Brady couldn't do anything without a running game... come on aboard the Brady bandwagon..!! 7-3 and counting...!!" - QuiGon, December 2, 2001.
I got that beat QuiGon.

Me on April 16, 2000 the day after Tom Brady was drafted:
"I like Brady alot. He needs to get a bit bigger but has great height, tremendous accuracy and leadership ability. Friesz certainly is not gonna be here for much longer and any time you can develop a QB, it is a plus, if only for trade value or future major injury to Drew."

Me on August 11, 2001 before Brady ever started a NFL game:
"We may look back in 6 years and be amazed that Tom Brady was the best QB drafted in 2000."

J D Sal

Last edited:
FYI... this wasn't his attempt to sell his love of whitefishing to a whitefishing magazine, this was in a story titled "Drew Bledsoe and the Art of Football" featured in The Whitefish Review, "a new literary journal based in Whitefish, Montana that publishes fiction, non-fiction, poetry, art, photography, and interviews, with a slant toward mountain culture".

Do you have the whole article or just the quote? So it is a journal based in Whitefish that post article slanted towards mountain culture. So, in other words, Bledsoe was probably playing to audience talking about his love of whitefishing which is part of the mountain culture.

Until anyone can show otherwise, I can't see how this can not be taken as Bledsoe just playing to his audience. It was the inagural issue of journal that is all about whitefishing and other activities in that area of Montana. If Bledsoe said this in Sports Illustrated, that is one thing. But the audience of this journal are probably more interested in whitefishing than football and it appears that Bledsoe is playing to that audience.

So you are right. It wasn't him trying to sell his love of whitefishing to a whitefishing magazine. It still was probably him selling his love about whitefishing to a journal that is all about the mountain culture which whitefishing is a part of it.

Last edited:
Marshall Faulk said almost the exact thing about camp last night on the NFLN. He said he would take a week vacation before camp and then driving into camp he would be dreading it.

IMHO, all in all Drew Bledsoe did right by the Patriot nation. He brought respectability, a new stadium, play off wins and he was always well behaved.

Best of luck to you Drew!;)

Do you have the whole article or just the quote? So it is a journal based in Whitefish that post article slanted towards mountain culture. So, in other words, Bledsoe was probably playing to audience talking about his love of whitefishing which is part of the mountain culture.

Until anyone can show otherwise, I can't see how this can not be taken as Bledsoe just playing to his audience. It was the inagural issue of journal that is all about whitefishing and other activities in that area of Montana. If Bledsoe said this in Sports Illustrated, that is one thing. But the audience of this journal are probably more interested in whitefishing than football and it appears that Bledsoe is playing to that audience.

So you are right. It wasn't him trying to sell his love of whitefishing to a whitefishing magazine. It still was probably him selling his love about whitefishing to a journal that is all about the mountain culture which whitefishing is a part of it.

Sorry about that. I did read the quote wrong. He loved Whitefish, MT and Whitefishing. That even more plays into him playing to his audience since it is a journal geared towards people in Whitefish.

That would be like Tedy Bruschi telling his high school newspaper that the team he was most proud of playing for in his entire football career was his high school team.

"We may look back in 6 years and be amazed that Tom Brady was the best QB drafted in 2000."
Good timing for this quote.

Although the funniest part is that we didn't need anywhere near 6 years to learn this.

Regards,
Chris

I got that beat QuiGon.

Me on April 16, 2000 the day after Tom Brady was drafted:
"I like Brady alot. He needs to get a bit bigger but has great height, tremendous accuracy and leadership ability. Friesz certainly is not gonna be here for much longer and any time you can develop a QB, it is a plus, if only for trade value or future major injury to Drew."

J D Sal
Amen, brother. I admit not getting to the table as early as you, but you and I were certainly big time allies in the Great Brady-Bledsoe Wars of 2001-2003. Ah, the memories... I still get a chuckle remembering the JimVH LOS Analysis... :rofl:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back