PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Drew Bledsoe Appreciation Thread (merged: Beldsoe to Hall of Fame)

Status
Not open for further replies.
All the love (well, not all of it is love) directed towards Drew reminds me of another Pats QB: Jim Plunkett. Like Drew, Plunk was the first pick in the draft and saved a sinking Pats franchise. Never living up to the huge expectations, Plunkett like Drew, was traded away after some initial success with the Pats. Unlike Drew, Plunkett teams ended up winning two Super Bowls. Drew teams have yet to make it to the playoffs.

Not saying Drew doesn't deserve the appreciation. But while mentioning under appreciated Patriot QBs, Plunkett also deserves recognition for what he did for the team and for his success after he left them.

As for Bledsoe to the HOF. . . no way based on his career so far.

Last edited:
Hall of Fame? Are you freakin' kidding??

Career rating = 77.1. Record as a starter 98-95. Best rating year ever = 87.7. These are like Jon Kitna numbers. Brad Johnson has better numners.

Yes he had some good years, but with Bruce Armstrong defending the backside, hall of famers at RB (Martin) and TE (Coates), and unrealized HoF talent at WR (Glenn).

In 2001, Brady got it done with the same talent that Broges ridiculed the week Bledsoe took the Mo Lewis hit. Borges wrote that "the fopotball world will see exactly what the cost of losing Bledsoe's services will be in Foxborough." Yeah ... three Super Bowl wins.

Drew has a few good years with the Pats, but by Pete Carroll's second year (1998), I came to the conclusion that the Pats problem was at QB more than HC.

This does not mean I "bash" Drew or hate Drew. Drew seems like a decent guy. I do not hate Antowain Smith, either; I just think he too is far short of HoF caliber. Troy Brown will not make HoF either, but I think he has been far better at his position than Drew.

Last Drew comment: can someone explain the whole "I didn't get a chance to compete for my job" thing in 2001? What did he want -- a punt, pass, and kick contest?

Drew was 5-13 as a starter under BB, and TB was 5-3 when BB made the decision. BB also knew Drew from preparing for him as a DC of the NYJ. What more "competition" did there need to be?

Re: Drew Bledsoe Appreciation Thread

shmessy said:
Which is why we don't have any posters on this site named "BryanCoxrules".

:D LOL

On the radio today I think it was Mort who commented that in his last 9 road games (where noise is an issue even if you had a good line) Drew had 9 TD and threw 17 INTS. He is sacked almost twice as often on the road. Dallas in on the road for the next 3 weeks. I don't have a lot of sympathy for Tuna but he didn't have a Mo Lewis hit to clear the decks. What we are seeing here from the Drewpie-krishnas is just a fraction of what BB would have had heaped on him if my hero hadn't as Brady described it hit Drew with everything Mo Lewis could bring.

Drew was well compensated for his service here. Overcompensated. As a young QB here he chafed under Parcells tutelage, was elated to get to work for a HC who would treat him like a man and not a boy. He rewarded that HC by morphing into a stubborn entitled personality, who was too busy slinging it and lobbying for fat contracts for himself and his cronies and feeding his media toadies locker room dirt on his new HC and team issues as his struggles began to deepen to really work on improving his own freakin' game. He demanded and got, on the heels of Carroll's dismissal and a personal worst season, a contract that would (at least at first phony blush) make him the highest paid player in the league inching out Favre who was at least coming off a superbowl win. A year later an unheralded 6th round draft pick outperformed him in TC and mercfully replaced him in week 2.

What really turned this franchise around was the buzz created by Orthwein's signing of Parcells and his STAFF. What kept the turnaround going was the sale of the franchise to a local family who were very good businessmen as well as lifelong fans, and the drafting of not only Drew but players like Ty Law and Lawyer Milloy and Tedy Bruschi being coached by a genius DC on the way to a Superbowl appearance. What kept it from sliding right back into suckitude were the lessons learned by Kraft in the wake of the Tuna defection and his determination to bring back the young DC he sensed was the real genius in that partnership. The same DC who exposed Drew's achilles heel(s) to the rest of the NFL.

But at the end of the day, if Mo Lewis didn't clear the way for Tom Brady, or if Brady hadn't almost miraculously landed in Foxboro as a late day 2 pick, there wouldn't be any turn around to wax poetic about. Drew really only played a minor role in an ensemble cast, just like his almost painful to watch performance in the AFCC in Pittsburgh that some here prefer to romanticize into something it wasn't. Kordell Stewart and Troy Brown had more to do with the Patriots winning that game than Drew did. All he did was not lose it, and it was about all he could do not to. Damon Huard could have handled the the team in that game at least as well as Bledsoe did.

Drew Bledsoe is not now, nor has he ever been in his charmed life and 14 year NFL career, getting screwed. Had he not been replaced in 2001 this team would not have a single Lombardi to it's name and Belichick would be lucky to be coaching at a service academy by now because Drew's pals in the Boston media would have long since driven him out of town with the tacit support of their favorite Patriots team insider source of all time.

Belichick gave him the option of competing for the starting job in camp in 2002 and he wanted NOTHING to do with it. He preferred to bask in the glow of his welcome parade in Buffalo. Three years later that fan base was lining up to drive him to the airport, and he was whining that they weren't willing to give him a chance to win back his job in camp after his suckitude caused them to draft a QB in the first round and eventually cost his HC and the GM who traded for him their jobs. Then he announced that reuniting with the HC who rode him like a mule in his first 4 seasons here was going to be the turningaround point of his career (the derailing of which he never has taken responsibility for). Well, at least Tuna treated him better than Belichick - replacing him with a 4 year project backup at halftime of a MNF game without cover of injury and has assuring him if things don't go well for Romo he should stay ready - which was big of Bill since (duh) he's the only other QB on the Cowboys roster...:rolleyes:

I remember those games where Drew played with the pin sticking out of his finger. Say what you want, but the guy is a warrior. He turned the franchise around.

NEM said:
I AGREE, 100% WITH ALL YOU SAID, AND EVEN MORE.

Drew Bledsoe, even with his drawbacks, is what made the turnaround in this team work.

And, let no one ever forget the time he came into the game in Pittsburgh, in the playoffs, and was responsible for starting us on the road to dynastyville.

DREW BLEDSOE DESERVES A PLACE IN THE PATRIOT HALL OF FAME, AND A PLACE IN THE HEARTS, AND MINDS, OF EVERY PATRIOT FAN.....

thks Nem and you are right - i remember very well when he came into the game in PIT - i was very emotioned in that moment and when he threw the TD pass i was very very happy... expecially for him
at the end of the game i remember the big emotion between Tedy Bruschi and Drew Bledsoe - they were together, happy, very happy

like we were too...

thks Drew for what you have done for us and for the good memories

to me you created hopes - at that time...it was more then enough !

I've always liked Drew as a person and a football player and wish him only the best. I turned a blind eye to his flaws for years wishing to believe the hype that he was a great player instead of realizing that, along with some very real strengths, he had very real weaknesses which would ultimately prevent him from being the QB we all so wanted him to be.

I was definately ambivalent about the switch to Tom Brady in 2001. It's easy to think now that I was a Brady supporter at the time, but I just didn't know what to think when it was happening. Of course, I did know that the team was winning; I just didn't fully appreciate how much of that was due to Tom Brady. In fact, a lot of it had to do with what TB wasn't doing - turning the ball over and/or getting sacked.

Drew suffers mostly in comparison to his replacement. Yes, we would have preferred a QB who was totally dedicated to improving his game (probably at the cost of his personal life) and someone who would make quick, correct decisions. But I don't begrudge Drew the time off in Montana or the mental flaws that made him a statue at times.

Being a professional athlete is not an easy job and Drew gave a lot to us fans for which I am grateful. He endured lots of criticism to go along with the praise for never quite living up to his #1 draft status (who's the last #1 pick who did?) There is so much to appreciate about Drew and yet I often focus on his flaws. Mea culpa.

But let's not delude ourselves into thinking Drew has Hall of Fame credentials just because his gunslinging years have given him impressive career totals. He was never the best QB in the NFL (as much as I wanted him to be) and his flaws have been well-exposed over the second half of his career which have kept him from being the QB he believes himself to be. It's tough when reality gets rubbed in your face. But give Drew credit(?), he still believes he's the QB from the early years who succeeded more often than not in leading the team to a comeback win. Alas, he's been surpassed by the man who truly has developed into the best QB of the franchise which has been Drew's most unforgivable fault.

Last edited:
My appreciation of Drew is well documented in this thread and elsewhere.

But I'm afraid that anyone who believes Drew deserves a place in Canton should hold off the hallucinogens for a while. Even Ron Borges wouldn't vote for him and that more or less says it all.

For the record, I always liked Drew Bledsoe and admire the work he and his father, Mac, have done with the child-rearing fouindation (I even have their book which is excellent, btw).

I appreciate all that he did as one of the people along with Parcells and Kraft to breath live into a moribound franchise in the early 90's and well remember the great moments he gave the team.

That being said, there is NOTHING right about him complaining about THE BEST COACHING DECISION IN NFL HISTORY at a press conference 5 years after the fact. If that is what he still truly believes, then he is delusional.

He's holding some bad cards on that argument. Logic would tell him to shut up and not open that wound - - there's no way he's going to win that argument. He's had a chance to prove everyone wrong, but in the 4 years between Buffalo and Dallas he has been in ZERO playoff games. In the meantime, the guy "with his job" has won 2 SB's, been the MVP of 1 (should've been at least co-MVP of the last one also) and has solidified his stature as one of the all-time greats.

Parcells yanked him out on national television on Monday Night Football DURING a game that turned out to be the highest rated cable program ever. Parcells further criticized his decision making in the postgame press conference. Bledsoe was replaced by Tony Romo.

Contrast that with BB's handling. Bledsoe was INJURED. Brady came in and the team turned around immmediately. People forget that it WAS immediate - in the Jets game, Brady breathed life into an offense that was DOA until he came in. He drove for one touchdown and was a Hail Mary pass away from pulling out an unbelievable comeback. What did Tony Romo do in the 2nd half on Monday night?

BB has never publicly commented on Bledsoe as Parcells has. The BB decision was FAR more discrete, fair and (as it has turned out so far) successful.

It was high comedy that Bledsoe would publicly rip BB when the real villain is his current coach.

The Gr8est said:
The virus is Jones and will continue to be as long as he owns the team (which his ego suggests will be along time).

BP and TO are merely symptoms that would clear up once the virus is cured.

I really feel for Dallas fans, no football fan deserves Jerry Jones as an owner.

Thank God we have Kraft, who learned his lesson after the disastrous results of his earlier meddling.

WELL SAID.I completely Agree.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back