PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

DRC...too much $$ ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know the thought of pairing Gilmore with another top-flight CB like Talib or Sherman kind of got us all excited, but I'm not sure the Patriots are prioritizing that right now. I can't remember a time in the Belichick era where he purposely stocked the CB position in that way. The closest examples I can think of:

Revis/Browner - But Browner, while a starting CB, was more specialized. He wasn't a lockdown guy.

Law/Samuel - But that was more by accident (drafting a CB in the 4th isn't really dedicating major resources to the position), and Samuel didn't really break out until after Law was gone.

Gilmore/Butler - But I feel like that is just overlap, and BB knew that Butler wasn't going to be signed long term. Gilmore was Butler's "replacement" a year early.

Any other duos I missed?

Either way, it seems like BB doesn't put much value into using that many resources for two top flight CB's on the same team.

I know the thought of pairing Gilmore with another top-flight CB like Talib or Sherman kind of got us all excited, but I'm not sure the Patriots are prioritizing that right now. I can't remember a time in the Belichick era where he purposely stocked the CB position in that way. The closest examples I can think of:

Revis/Browner - But Browner, while a starting CB, was more specialized. He wasn't a lockdown guy.

Law/Samuel - But that was more by accident (drafting a CB in the 4th isn't really dedicating major resources to the position), and Samuel didn't really break out until after Law was gone.

Gilmore/Butler - But I feel like that is just overlap, and BB knew that Butler wasn't going to be signed long term. Gilmore was Butler's "replacement" a year early.

Any other duos I missed?

Either way, it seems like BB doesn't put much value into using that many resources for two top flight CB's on the same team.
Interesting thought.
DW Toys

A good pass rush can really help a less than stellar secondary........and dialing up a blitz every now and then might work wonders :cool:

Any other duos I missed?

I think you're on the money. You look at the pairing of Revis and Browner, I feel they were together to specifically get thru Manning, Luck, Carr, Rodgers, Stafford and Rivers in 2014. Looking at this year, only Rodgers looms as elite at this point of the off-season. (maybe Big Ben)

My guess is they'll sign a second or third tier guy as another body, and maybe draft one.

Don’t need no stinking giants!

IDK.

If the guy is willing to go through the entire CDC decontamination and quarantine process, then he's probably worth it.

IDK.

If the guy is willing to go through the entire CDC decontamination and quarantine process, then he's probably worth it.
giphy.gif

Any other duos I missed?

It doesn't makes sense in this pass happy era unless you already have a ferocious pass rush. Denver did that.

If your defense is crap better to invest in the front 7, refs can't call holding or pass interference against a DE. And our secondary is not crap but it looks that way sometimes because we can't put pressure on the QB.

I honestly see our corner situation being fixed draft wkend, either by drafting a corner If the board falls that way. If not then making a trade for one.

It doesn't makes sense in this pass happy era unless you already have a ferocious pass rush. Denver did that.

If your defense is crap better to invest in the front 7, refs can't call holding or pass interference against a DE. And our secondary is not crap but it looks that way sometimes because we can't put pressure on the QB.

Or stop the run.

I like DRC. But what salary does he want?

I will pass at what teams will be overpaying him for

I like DRC. But what salary does he want?
I’d be interested up to 6.5m or so, which means that we probably win or lose with JJ in the slot and face off twice a year against DRC and the Jets.

I'd rather have Rowe. Still on his rookie contract and he really isn't as bad as people think he is. People forget just how bad our DBs were prior to Revis/Browner. Rowe is better than almost all of those DBs back then and we could retain him for cheap once his rookie contract ends.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back