PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Drafting A Quarterback

Status
Not open for further replies.
IDK.

The Colts reportedly received (and turned down) offers to trade for Brissett from two different teams in the past couple weeks.
Perhaps those teams wanted a reliable backup.

It's difficult to judge from Brissett's 2017 performance with them, since they had such a crappy roster and THUDzinski as their OC. I have no idea what BB's opinion was/is. Personally, I felt that Brissett might be better-suited for a different offensive scheme. I mean, a different, but good one (not THUD's). Reich and Sirianni could be much better for Brissett.
So, all Brissett needs to blossom into a great starter is: the right coaching, the right supporting cast, the right scheme? I'll add to that the right mechanics -- which has been his shortcoming all along.

I think it's clear that if BB genuinely thought Brissett might be Brady's successor, he would've kept him. I'm sorry, but I just can't fathom the ongoing ball-washing of this player by people on this board.

But you do know Belichick's opinion.

If belichick thought that Brisset could be our future starting quarterback, or even a long-term backup, he'd still be here.

The implication of the comment that I was responding to was that BB thought Brissett would be nothing more than a "career backup", meaning (it seems to me) anywhere, not just with the Pats.

While Brisset may turn out that way, I still really don't know whether or not that was or is BB's opinion of Brissett. I try to be scrupulous about avoiding making any claims to have certain knowledge about what other people are thinking.

OTOH, as you say, if BB was certain that Brissett would be the Pats next starting/franchise QB, it seems highly unlikely that he would have traded Brissett.

Unless, y'know, he was totally wasted or something

[BB wakes up two days later, sees the transaction wire, and exclaims, "Wait! WHAT??!! I traded Brissett for WHO??!! Aww, crap!!"]

So who gets cut to make room if we were to franchise tag jimmy?
how about Grissom?

EDIT: I thought that you were referring to the roster spot.

Obviously, players would have needed to be cut to absorb the more than $16M of cap omen being paid to JAG,

Last edited:
The Wonderlic doesn't matter at all. There's no correlation between Wonderlic performance and football performance at any position. It just doesn't matter.

5. Throw the remote at the idiot in the mirror.
You're the type of fan that would say "oh great move!" if they re-signed Jimmy G. Lol.

Instead of saying I'm an "idiot", why don't you tell the class why it would be a good idea to draft a QB high when the big rumor was that Brady wanted Jimmy G traded? And why don't you tell us why they should take a QB that high if you are trying to put the best team together for a 41 year old QB?

This board is funny. If you don't agree with everything the Pats do, you must be an "idiot".

So who gets cut to make room if we were to franchise tag jimmy?
I'm the wrong guy to ask. You'd have to ask the Pats as they were prepared to pay him.

Last edited:
The Wonderlic doesn't matter at all. There's no correlation between Wonderlic performance and football performance at any position. It just doesn't matter.
so you say

I would say that higher Wonderlics are correlated with better results for quarterbacks and for OL's.

I suspect that the test shouldn't be given if the coaches found no use for them.

You're the type of fan that would say "oh great move!" if they re-signed Jimmy G. Lol.

Instead of saying I'm an "idiot", why don't you tell the class why it would be a good idea to draft a QB high when the big rumor was that Brady wanted Jimmy G traded? And why don't you tell us why they should take a QB that high if you are trying to put the best team together for a 41 year old QB?

This board is funny. If you don't agree with everything the Pats do, you must be an "idiot".

Your apparent inability, or purposeful refusal, to understand the impact of 4 more years of aging on the thinking processes of those involved might have something to do with the response you received.

I'm the wrong guy to ask. You'd have to ask the Pats as they were prepared to pay him.

Reports are that they were willing to sign JAG to a bridge contract, not a more franchise tag contract. Clonamery's question still stands. If you're going to tag JAG, who are you cutting to make it possible? Miguel will, no doubt, be anxiously awaiting your answer.

Your apparent inability, or purposeful refusal, to understand the impact of 4 more years of aging on the thinking processes of those involved might have something to do with the response you received.
Can anyone actually answer the question without criticizing the poster?

Reports are that they were willing to sign JAG to a bridge contract, not a more franchise tag contract. Clonamery's question still stands. If you're going to tag JAG, who are you cutting to make it possible? Miguel will, no doubt, be anxiously awaiting your answer.
No, I don't think Miguel is anxiously waiting for my answer. And I'm sure you could make it work. And why do you call him "JAG".

so you say

I would say that higher Wonderlics are correlated with better results for quarterbacks and for OL's.

I suspect that the test shouldn't be given if the coaches found no use for them.

There's no correlation. There have been a bunch of studies published on it and they all found no correlation, including at quarterback. The only one with a finding showed that Wonderlic scores a negatively correlated with football outcome, i.e. players with higher scores tend to perform worse.

https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/08959280902970401

This is why the NFL has been considering replacing it with this "athletic IQ" test.

Can anyone actually answer the question without criticizing the poster?

I didn't criticize you. I made an observation as to why Clonamery's response to you might have been as it was. I grant that my observation did not put you in a good light but, then, neither did the post you'd made.

No, I don't think Miguel is anxiously waiting for my answer.

Miguel dealt with people insisting that it was no problem, for months. I've no doubt he could deal with your take, as well.

And I'm sure you could make it work.

Not without losses elsewhere, which is the point of asking you who you're cutting.

And why do you call him "JAG".

That's been my nickname for him since the beginning, as I didn't like "Jimmy G", and JAG was easy to type. It was not intended as an insult.

If the Pats draft a QB early (Rounds 1-2), it will make the trade of Jimmy G last year that much more infuriating. I don't want to see "They couldn't pay him" or ".....because of salary cap" nonsense. It was reported numerous times they were prepared to pay him to stay with the team and for good reason. They also could've franchised him to see how Brady does in 2018-19. Sorry, you don't let a player like that go for just a measly 2nd round pick and then take another QB with that pick. If the Pats do draft a QB early it could mean a few things:

1. BB plans to coach after Brady retires.
  2. Brady wasn't the one that wanted Jimmy G gone.
  3. Jimmy G was actually the one that wanted out.
  4. I throw my remote at the TV.
Not infuriating at all. The new player will be approximately 4 years younger and most likely will have 1-3 years (or however long Tom Brady sticks around) to learn the offense.

OTOH, as you say, if BB was certain that Brissett would be the Pats next starting/franchise QB, it seems highly unlikely that he would have traded Brissett.

Remember: Belichick called the Colts about Dorsett.

The pats were prepared to pay him. But they weren’t willing to pay him the franchise tag (and cut some of the roster to make it under the cap) nor were they willing to pay him what he ultimately got from SF. When it became clear that Jimmy wouldn’t accept a discount they moved on.

I hated losing jimmy because I believe he’s going to be a star in this league but franchising him just wasn’t going to happen. Even if we do use a 2nd we got in return for him it’s a completely different situation as brady is 4 years older.

So ... We're waiting to hear if the remote bounced off the mirror and hit you.

No, I don't think Miguel is anxiously waiting for my answer. And I'm sure you could make it work.

Perhaps if you could explain how you 'could make it work' and come at people with more than 'the big rumor' as justifications you might engender more debate and less contempt. When you 'don't want to see "They couldn't pay him" or ".....because of salary cap" nonsense' you best be prepared to explain why you believe it to be 'nonsense' when it is in fact exactly what sent him packing. You can subscribe to all the Felgerian 'cap is crap' foolishness you like but you can't sell it to people that know better.

The qb I am intrigued the most by in this draft is Logan Woodside.

He has the accuracy, arm strength and decision making to be really good after a couple years development.

Getting him on day three would solve the developmental qb hole.

Do you think Caserio will put him through a sit down and go over the whiteboard? Are they even allowed to do that at pro days?

That happened at the combine already (the only reason to go there except for medicals) and will happen in a more intense way when they have him in on a visit.

It's a team option. He doesn't get to choose.

A player whose option is picked up could hold out, à la OBJ. If Garoppolo had been a first-rounder, and the Pats picked up the option, that $13M would've become fully guaranteed the moment the league year began. He could've held out for a new deal, not report until Week 1, and still get the full $13M.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST