PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Draft up next.

Status
Not open for further replies.
OL,best available DE, Brandon Harris.

I want defense, defense and more defense. The only positions on offense that I want to see them address are the O-line and WR positions. I think that they might consider adding another Running Back. Fred Taylor is done, IMO. We also have no idea if Faulk can return to full stregnth either.

Sign Nnamdi Asomugha.

Bodden and MCCourty are our starting CBs for next season and the team is never going to add another starting CB to this roster...they will plug in JAGs for nickel packages and mix them in starting roles but outside of an injury in the offseason there will absolutely be no big name CBs added to the roster in 2011.....we have a potential all pro in MCCourty,it would be ******ed to have him sit more often next year.

Asomugha will be a Dolphin next year...they will need one badly

Last edited:
I'd like to see the offense given some early draft round talent for a change. For the last half decade the defense has been given this luxury.

Add some beef upfront, a true wideout who is a legit deep threat and perhaps a skillful RB or two. The only spots on offense that are in great hands is QB, RT, 3rd down RB, TE and slot receiver. All else is fair game for improvement.

1. Pass rushers
2. WR
3. OL

The main reason the Jets won tonight (when it comes to players) is that their receivers (Holmes, Edwards, Cotchery) were light years better than our guys.

All three of those guys made huge plays on difficult balls.

I think we need to draft a WR that is a deep threat with one of our first three picks. Or trade one of them for Larry Fitzgerald.

Best post of the day. Tate is not the answer (see Bethel Johnson) . Crowding and bumping our smurf WR to the middle of the field both Welker and Branch worked well. Hernandez must have still been hurt as he was a non-factor.

I will get roasted but who cares. Moss (but .....along with Branch and Welker) would have helped today. Maybe not the whole season, but you still had to game plan for him. Even if he is doing sprints with Revis down the field, he definitely had an effect of the play of Welker this year. If you can't go underneath in a game like this it is an issue if you don't have some WR who pull the CBs out. I can't blame the protection. TB had 10 seconds to throw sometimes and no one opened up. Tough to throw jump balls if there is no separation on Cromatie and Revis with small WR.

Give me Fitzgerald who is a sure thing and stop hoping a high Draft choice "might" work out.

The D is still young. They played decent. Take away the one Cotcherie pass and Sanchez throws for under 140 and the running game was only 113 combined.

I like Ben and Woodhead but they are not the answer as they are role players (very decent ones though) and please a legitimate pass rusher or why not two.

We have six Draft choices in the top three rounds. DW Toys recipe:
Resign Mankins
Draft Mark Ingram
Trade a pick or two for Fitgerald.
Draft two pass rushers high in the Draft
Draft a high pick OT replacement to get ready but still re-sign Light for 2

If we all relax, this was a rebuilding year, so not too bad. There was a lot of kids out there today who need to season. If Chung makes that punt fake work, it changes the game. But....he is a kid. McCourty played well. Gronk did as well. More good kids to build on.

An eight minute drive and no points was a coffin nail. BB will make the corrections. We are an elite RB, a leaping (younger) field stretching WR and a couple of pass rushers away.

Yes, I would gamble on Fitzgerald in a trade. Would Peppers have helped us today? He has made a big difference in the Bears. He was expensive but he would have helped. Most here hated the idea of Peppers.

Does anyone anyone else feel the layoff hurt our momentum? Refs didn't hurt us. The rhetoric didn't have an effect. After the first Series we looked way too lethargic like, oh don't worry, we will up tempo this pretty soon.
DW Toys

As bad as this game looked, this team still averaged over 30 points per game, its hard to win against a divisional opponents, the teams playing know each other so well, so it was bound to be a close game. that compiled with the fact that this team hasent been on the wrong side of the scoreboard that often so they probably didnt know how to react.

I think that this team needs to resign mankins, then draft a DL and a OLB. its time to stop ****yfooting around the obvious pass rush problems, wilfork alone eats up 2 blocks, that the patriots cant win more 1 on 1 battles is disgraceful, this needs to be remedied.

The Patriots had alot of key injuries on defense so they will inherently be stronger next year, but the patriots have enough young players to make the defense exceptionally strong next year if they plug up the obvious holes.

As for the Offense, the O-line needs to be fixed up. resign or replace light and give mankins what he wants.

The good news i guess is that the jets have a whole lot of players who are going to require new contracts next year so they will need to rebuild with the few draft picks they have.

They need Pass rushers that is a 100% thing no doubt about it

I think they need a deep threat but it might be able to wait a year to see what Tate and Price can do in that. I think a full pre season of Brady to Tate as the primary will help that a lot it seem like they were just a little bit off from each other all year

I am not overly worried about the Oline aside from they are getting older and slower they had a bad game no doubt about it i wouldn't waste a high pick on it unless you are getting get value for it

They need another RB but I don't think they need to go High for that again cause BJGE and Woodhead work very well together. unless you can get an RB that is low risk High reward then go for it

A WR that's tall with Cromartie and Revis in the Division. A RB if BJGE isn't resigned. A OT, Matt Light is done.

Pass Rusher. Someone in the Clay Matthews/Cameron Wake clone on BOTH sides, a couple of DE's for 3rd down.

If Green-Ellis goes anywhere, the Pats are getting at least a second-round draft pick for him, since he's an RFA.

Trade down to get some first round picks for next year so that they'll be able to get Andrew Luck or Matt Barkley as Tom Brady's replacement.

fail_10___fail_at_failing___by_Nickatina14.jpg

offensive tackle, defensive end, OLB in any order with no trades into future years for the top 4 picks

4 pass rushers with the first 4 picks. We had nobody who even looked like getting near Sanchez, especially with Mangold handling Wilfork 1 on 1.

it was ******* pathetic seeing our blitzers on the ground and our OLB taken out of the play. That is priority number one IMO.

offensive tackle, defensive end, OLB in any order with no trades into future years for the top 4 picks

FWIW, what they've been doing the last few years is trading 3rds for 2nds.

If they can get a 2nd AND a 2012 1st for #33, though, I do that in a heartbeat.

If BB doesnt get a stud pass rusher this draft, I'm calling for his head for the first time. Its been a huge need for years now.

Last edited by a moderator:
draft casey matthews from oregon.... (clay matthews brother)

draft casey matthews from oregon.... (clay matthews brother)

casey matthews=/clay matthews, it wont solve anything and he doesn't even fit our scheme.

Last edited:
Remember, TBC has been banged up, Cunningham has been banged up, Moore got hurt in the 3rd, and Ninkovich got hurt in the 3rd. The Pats were missing 4 of their top 7 DL. The pass rush will probably never be as bad next season as it was today.

I really like Aldon Smith at #17 and either JJ Watt or Muhammad Wilkerson at 32, with an OG/C at 33. A second OLB across from Cunningham is needed, and a future starter at DE when TWarren leaves is needed. I actually wouldn't be overly surprised to see a Light/Mankins/Connolly/Kaczur/Vollmer line next season. Koppen is obviously on the decline. I don't see any way Mankins gets away, and I think Light will be back as well.

Secondary is a complete non-need. Bodden will be back and McCourty should continue to get even better. Arrington is then the nickel back, and Chung can go back to being a safety, not a nickel back.

Casey Matthews is a shorter, lighter, smaller, weaker, less bulky, slower, less explosive version of his brother. The only position on defense he'd even remotely fit in is Mayo's.

Last edited:
I would love to see the defensive line (especially a 5 technique end) and the interior offensive line addressed early and often. Furthermore, it wouldn't hurt to obtain a field-stretching receiver, some linebackers who can set the edge and rush the passer, and another running back as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST