PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Draft up next.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Highest Draft Priorities:

Right Defensive End (5-technique defensive lineman) - Marcell Dareus
3-4 Outside Linebacker - Jeremy Beal and/or Sam Ocho
Right Offensive Guard - Stefan Wisniewski or Mike Pouncey

casey matthews=/clay matthews, it wont solve anything and he doesn't even fit our scheme.

u build schemes around players... maybe we need to change our schemes a little.... This guys gonna be a beast

u build schemes around players... maybe we need to change our schemes a little.... This guys gonna be a beast

Maybe, maybe not. The scouts think not and Im not pinning any hopes on what will probably be a mid round draft pick.

Last edited:
DE and OLB are and should be the teams top priority not only in the draft but through free agency and trade during the offseason. The secondary is fine with McCourty and Bodden on the corners and Wilhite, Arrington, and Butler on the insides. Chung, Meriweather, and Sanders are a solid trio at the S position. BB needs to get these guys some help, if this group gets pressure from the front 7 they have the potential to be awesome.

I'd like to see the offense given some early draft round talent for a change. For the last half decade the defense has been given this luxury.

Add some beef upfront, a true wideout who is a legit deep threat and perhaps a skillful RB or two. The only spots on offense that are in great hands is QB, RT, 3rd down RB, TE and slot receiver. All else is fair game for improvement.

Personally, I think BB's better off at drafting defensive players in the higher rounds. he just doesn't seem to have good luck with offensive players taken in the first 2 rounds....Maroney and Chad Jackson to name a few.

Personally, I think BB's better off at drafting defensive players in the higher rounds. he just doesn't seem to have good luck with offensive players taken in the first 2 rounds....Maroney and Chad Jackson to name a few.

Even though he isnt a burner, make a trade for Fitz, or Megatron. CJ doesnt wanna play for DET anymore hes been public about that, DET probably knows they can only keep him by franchising him so throw the number 17 pick and a third and make the trade.

Where have I heard that before?

I don't know, I wanted Clay Matthews but you really need to watch what position Casey plays and what he does before you compare the two because other than the hair and name they are totally different.

I don't know, I wanted Clay Matthews but you really need to watch what position Casey plays and what he does before you compare the two because other than the hair and name they are totally different.

Exactly. On the field, they have the same motor. That's about it.

A healthy Ty Warren is key next season but he'll turn thirty before then. And Vince Wilfork is twenty-nine. So, it's imperative that New England's able to draft another young, intelligent rookie in the first round who proves himself worthy to start opposite Warren.

I don't have an opinion on Kyle Love. But if he, Ron Brace and Brandon Deaderick aren't a mainstay on the depth chart. Then I suggest the team draft Muhammad Wilkerson, or best available defensive tackle, and continue to retool the defensive line.

The main task at hand is to draft a defensive end and an outside linebacker who are efficient at plays for lost and quarterback hurry ups. Next, you daft a guard, tackle and center on the offensive line. Personally, I would feel more comfortable drafting another free safety. I want to trade Brandon Meriweather.

Also, does this team need a blocking fullback who can catch? Remember Sam Gash and Kevin Turner? Anyways, I would draft another running back for depth and take a look at a few free agents as well.

Unfortunately, Nnamdi Asomugha or Richard Marshall, Eric Weddle and LaMarr Woodley or Mathias Kiwanuka are probably unrealistic options in free agency. So, the upcoming draft is where you hopefully can address the question marks you currently have at certain starting positions. The 2010 draft brought in Devin McCourty, Brandon Spikes and Jermaine Cunningham. The 2011 draft has to be equally successful at bringing in more defensive players with potential to start as rookies.

A healthy Ty Warren is key next season but he'll turn thirty before then. And Vince Wilfork is twenty-nine. So, it's imperative that New England's able to draft another young, intelligent rookie in the first round who proves himself worthy to start opposite Warren.

I don't have an opinion on Kyle Love. But if he, Ron Brace and Brandon Deaderick aren't a mainstay on the depth chart. Then I suggest the team draft Muhammad Wilkerson, or best available defensive tackle, and continue to retool the defensive line.

The main task at hand is to draft a defensive end and an outside linebacker who are efficient at plays for lost and quarterback hurry ups. Next, you daft a guard, tackle and center on the offensive line. Personally, I would feel more comfortable drafting another free safety. I want to trade Brandon Meriweather.

Also, does this team need a blocking fullback who can catch? Remember Sam Gash and Kevin Turner? Anyways, I would draft another running back for depth and take a look at a few free agents as well.

Unfortunately, Nnamdi Asomugha or Richard Marshall, Eric Weddle and LaMarr Woodley or Mathias Kiwanuka are probably unrealistic options in free agency. So, the upcoming draft is where you hopefully can address the question marks you currently have at certain starting positions. The 2010 draft brought in Devin McCourty, Brandon Spikes and Jermaine Cunningham. The 2011 draft has to be equally successful at bringing in more defensive players with potential to start as rookies.

Love is a good organizational depth guy. Brace showed flashes this year. I think Deadrick is probably not going to be with the organization on the long term.

Hard to be bullish on Warren at this point.

I think we've seen enough from Meriweather to know what he is which is something that's hard to be excited about.

1. Pass rushers
2. WR
3. OL

The main reason the Jets won tonight (when it comes to players) is that their receivers (Holmes, Edwards, Cotchery) were light years better than our guys.

All three of those guys made huge plays on difficult balls.

I think their ability to cover all of our receivers in a man-to-man coverage won them the game. There were instances when Brady had lots of time in the pocket to throw the ball and he just couldn't find an open receiver (because there wasn't one).

Brady tears through zone defenses and can alert the line, reroute receivers, and do what he must to beat a zone. But in a straight man-to-man coverage, we need WR that have the ability to get separation - due to height, speed, or deception. Typically, Branch and Welker can get separation, but the Jets have some fast DBs and they were not getting open...

Even though he isnt a burner, make a trade for Fitz, or Megatron. CJ doesnt wanna play for DET anymore hes been public about that, DET probably knows they can only keep him by franchising him so throw the number 17 pick and a third and make the trade.

Never going to happen.

Anyone else thinking patrick peterson out of LSU? I'm not sure he'll be around by our picks, but he really seems to be a superstar in the making....other than that, we need D LINE, as i'm sure everyone noticed, we got absolutely no pressure on sanchez tonite....other than that, the defense cannot be blamed for this loss at all, someone mentioned it earlier, but the D was put in terrible positions all night long and for the most part did a pretty good job

Never going to happen.

Probably wont, but Im not going to say its never going to happen. CJ said for a fact he dont wanna be back, but like I said its doubtful, but not impossible.

Anyone else thinking patrick peterson out of LSU? I'm not sure he'll be around by our picks, but he really seems to be a superstar in the making....other than that, we need D LINE, as i'm sure everyone noticed, we got absolutely no pressure on sanchez tonite....other than that, the defense cannot be blamed for this loss at all, someone mentioned it earlier, but the D was put in terrible positions all night long and for the most part did a pretty good job

Unless we trade up into the top 5 he will be long gone probably before 10 for sure. Plus I would rather focus on the front 7, out secondary should be pretty damn good if Bodden can return to form, which is likely.

Unless we trade up into the top 5 he will be long gone probably before 10 for sure. Plus I would rather focus on the front 7, out secondary should be pretty damn good if Bodden can return to form, which is likely.

He's projected to go that high? really? wow I didn't even realize that.....well then that is unlikely to happen considering BB rarely if EVER trades up.

He's projected to go that high? really? wow I didn't even realize that.....well then that is unlikely to happen considering BB rarely if EVER trades up.

From what I read yeah...

I don't think we need to address WR immediately at this point. Hernandez, Price, Tate, Gronkowski, and Edelman will all be in their second year in Fall 2011. (Tate was hurt all of his first year). Hernandez will continue to develop as a pass catching TE. Tate and Price need to gain some chemistry with Brady in the off-season; as well as knowledge of the position.

In the game Brady threw to Tate on a deep crossing route. He had a step and a half on his defender and Brady threw the ball out in front of Tate. Watching the game live, my first inclination was that Brady threw the ball too much in front of Tate. However, on the replay, it was apparent that Tate slowed down once he started cutting in and never got to the same speed in which he ran down the field. This is something Tate and Brady can work on. It is clear that Tate has the speed to get separation. Another off-season in this system will help him and Price immensely.

I don't think WR is a concern in the top 100 picks. If a proven player (e.g. Fitzgerald) is on the trade market, the Patriots would be fools not to try and pick him up. A guy like Antonio Bryant or Randy Moss might be worth a 'play and prove it' contract. Something similar to what Branch restructured for, with less guaranteed money. On a side note, big-game Deion really disappointed me today, I know Revis was on him, but still...

The depth at DL will be replenished with the hopeful return of Mike Wright and the veteran Ty Warren. Ron Brace and Myron Pryor both looked promising.

We need an edge-setting OLB that can rush the passer. Banta-Cain does not cut it in pass-rush, run defense, or coverage. Ninkovich is a JAG, but Cunningham looks promising (rose colored glasses). Someone stated this earlier, but this has been a pressing need since we realized AD wasn't cutting it (2008?). A pass rush makes coverage look much much much better.

I wouldn't mind a 1/2-year deal for Light. Vollmer could move over to the left any time. Depth at tackle wouldn't hurt in round 3? We need to resign Mankins. He brings toughness, attitude, and All-Pro guard play to our offensive line. RG and C are a concern. Shaun Ellis continually beat Koppen/Connolly.

RB isn't that big of a concern to me. I think BJGE should've gotten more carries that Woody.

tl;dr

1. Resign Mankins
2. Draft OLB
3. Draft G, C
4. Chill out on the WRs

RG, DE, C, OLB, WR. Those positions, IMO, are where our early round picks should be used. Doesn't have to necessarily be in that order, but that's what I would like to see.

I don't think we need to address WR immediately at this point. Hernandez, Price, Tate, Gronkowski, and Edelman will all be in their second year in Fall 2011. (Tate was hurt all of his first year). Hernandez will continue to develop as a pass catching TE. Tate and Price need to gain some chemistry with Brady in the off-season; as well as knowledge of the position.

In the game Brady threw to Tate on a deep crossing route. He had a step and a half on his defender and Brady threw the ball out in front of Tate. Watching the game live, my first inclination was that Brady threw the ball too much in front of Tate. However, on the replay, it was apparent that Tate slowed down once he started cutting in and never got to the same speed in which he ran down the field. This is something Tate and Brady can work on. It is clear that Tate has the speed to get separation. Another off-season in this system will help him and Price immensely.

I don't think WR is a concern in the top 100 picks. If a proven player (e.g. Fitzgerald) is on the trade market, the Patriots would be fools not to try and pick him up. A guy like Antonio Bryant or Randy Moss might be worth a 'play and prove it' contract. Something similar to what Branch restructured for, with less guaranteed money. On a side note, big-game Deion really disappointed me today, I know Revis was on him, but still...

The depth at DL will be replenished with the hopeful return of Mike Wright and the veteran Ty Warren. Ron Brace and Myron Pryor both looked promising.

We need an edge-setting OLB that can rush the passer. Banta-Cain does not cut it in pass-rush, run defense, or coverage. Ninkovich is a JAG, but Cunningham looks promising (rose colored glasses). Someone stated this earlier, but this has been a pressing need since we realized AD wasn't cutting it (2008?). A pass rush makes coverage look much much much better.

I wouldn't mind a 1/2-year deal for Light. Vollmer could move over to the left any time. Depth at tackle wouldn't hurt in round 3? We need to resign Mankins. He brings toughness, attitude, and All-Pro guard play to our offensive line. RG and C are a concern. Shaun Ellis continually beat Koppen/Connolly.

RB isn't that big of a concern to me. I think BJGE should've gotten more carries that Woody.

tl;dr

1. Resign Mankins
2. Draft OLB
3. Draft G, C
4. Chill out on the WRs

They need another beast on the DL to pair with Wilfork. Warren will not be that guy whether he comes back into form (questionable) or not.

Along with the OLB and O line needs I'd expect them to add a player or two at DE.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back