PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Draft Audibles

mayoclinic

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Some interesting tidbits from around the league, including some nice anonymous audibles from Profootballweekly:

The Way We Hear It - NFL pro football rumors and insider news from Pro Football Weekly
The Way We Hear It - NFL pro football rumors and insider news from Pro Football Weekly

- On Rey Maualuga slipping out of the 1st round: “What scared everyone about (USC LB Rey) Maualuga were the alcohol issues. That’s why he lasted as long as he did.”

- On Michael Oher falling to #23: “We had (Ole Miss OT) Michael Oher off our board. I know a lot of teams did. He will not be easy to manage. He was one of the worst they ever had in that program.” Oher is apparently no lock to start at Baltimore: "A source close to the Ravens suggests that while ORT Michael Oher is no cinch to win the starting job by the season opener, it is very likely Oher will take the job from veteran Willie Anderson at some point this season. The Ravens traded up in Round One to select Oher, who starred at Ole Miss. 'He’s going to go compete for the starting job, and I don’t think that’s any major statement because that’s what all our guys are going to do,' head coach John Harbaugh said after the draft. 'And it’s going to be tough. We have a really good right tackle right now in Willie Anderson, and I think in some ways this pick takes pressure off of Willie, too. Because now you’ve got another viable option at tackle, along with (reserve) Adam Terry. It’s a pick that makes everybody better, but he’ll be competing for a job just like everybody else.' The Ravens got Terry at #64 in 2005 by swapping with the Pats, so this is the 2nd OL they have added in the draft via trade with NE.

- On "do it all" safeties: “One of the biggest problems with coaches in the draft — not enough understand. There is only so much talent available. They want a safety who can be an extra defender in the box, go out and cover receivers in the slot in nickel situations and also have the range to drop deep and play the deep ball. Well, unless you are going to resurrect Ronnie Lott, there are only three of those guys in the league right now, and you are lucky if you could find one in any given draft. That’s why it’s so important to know what traits you value the most in players and what you can win with.” Well, the Pats might just have gotten that type of guy in Patrick Chung, who along with Louis Delmas was probably the only guy with the potential to play all of those roles. BTW, Delmas was one of my binkies, and appears to have made a strong initial impression in Detroit: Rookie safety Louis Delmas creates buzz at minicamp | Freep.com | Detroit Free Press I think that BB had his eye on both Delmas and Chung, and when Detroit took Delmas at #33 (Jim Schwartz viewing Delmas as another Michael Griffin, who he coached in Tennessee) that BB decided not to risk losing out on Chung and pulled the trigger at #34.

- Regarging Sean Smith, who I also had an eye on as a potential safety fot the Pats: “Bill Parcells preaches how important intelligence is, and then he turns around and drafts (Utah CB) Sean Smith. I don’t know what he was thinking.” Apparently Smith has some major issues in that department, which apparently were more of a red flag for BB than for Parcells.

- James Casey, one of my favorite "Pats-type" guys who we repeatedly passed on, appears to be making a good first impression in Houston: Texans to study versatility of fifth-round pick Casey | Houston Texans Football | Chron.com - Houston Chronicle Houston also got my binky, Connor Barwin. Ouch.

- Green Bay apparently was seriously considering taking Clay Matthews at #9 if BJ Raji had not been available. According to John Clayton from ESPN, Raji apparently looked very good at GB's minicamp and played at both DT and DE. GB got one of our board's favorite mid-round prospects, OG/T TJ Lang from Eastern Michigan, who has apparently been making a good impression and may possibly compete for a starting job: American Chronicle | Lang Makes Impression: McCarthy Likes Fourth-Round Pick

- On Julius Peppers: “The problem with Julius Peppers is he needs to be paid, and he is trying to control the process. He is being selective. We would like to have him, but there is a lot that has to fall the right way.”

- The Redskins apparently have plans to play Brian Orapko at SLB on 1st and 2nd downs, and at DE on 3rd down pass rushing situations.

- Larry English reportedly looked nice as a pass rusher at SD minicamps, and apparently has a chip on his shoulder to justify being taken at #16. The Chargers apparently like what they have seen from one of our board's late round favorites, DT Vaughn Martin from Ontario, who they reached for in the 4th round: Vaughn Martin's Athleticism, Background Opening Eyes At Chargers Camp | AHN | May 11, 2009 Notes Martin: "They (the Chargers) said they would start me out at right defensive end, then work my way to nose (tackle)."

- Miscellaneous draft notes from PFW: "We hear the Rams would have opted for North Carolina WR Hakeem Nicks with the 35th pick, which they used to select LB James Laurinaitis, had the Giants not taken Nicks with the 29th overall pick. We also hear they were ready to take Iowa RB Shonn Greene with their third-round pick (No. 66 overall) until the Jets traded ahead of the Rams to grab Greene away with the 65th overall pick."

I had the Pats taking Lange in my mock draft, I like him much better than Orhnsburger.

I think the level of competition or lack thereof may have scared BB off.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back