PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Dr. Z nails it. ESPN second crew the better of the two.

Status
Not open for further replies.

T-ShirtDynasty

Reaction score
Monday night, a bunch of us were commenting how much better the late game crew of Nessler, Jaworski, Vermeil were compared to the "prime time" goofballs of Theismann and Co. Not only were they insightful, and had really good chemistry, but Dr. Z hit it on the head... "they all respected the game". It was a very enjoyable telecast to listen to, I thought, and I'm glad somebody in the media noticed it as well. Hopefully ESPN will take it to heart.

Great read from Dr. Z, especially if you missed the second Monday Night game:
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/writers/dr_z/09/14/espn.telecasts/index.html

(Oh and hats off to Florio who noticed it as well, and posted the Dr. Z story on PFT this afternoon)

Vermeil was always very good at the analyst job before he returned to coaching. Not surprised to see him transition back into it so well. I'd like to see more of that team, although I am surprised that I have enjoyed Korny's work on the games so far. I wasn't expecting to.

heh, this is the only thing Dr. Z is good for. I love it at the end of the year when he comes out with his NFL broadcast crew report card. The trio of Theismann, Maguire and Patrick always got F's. I couldn't believe ESPN hung on to that crew for so long.

Anyway, I agree I like Vermeil a lot. He really is a great football mind and gives you insight that other commentators cannot.

BTW: just another Dr. Z rant. Did anyone see his power rankings this week? I read the little blurb he wrote for the Dolphins. He once again complains that Saban does not allow assistant coaches to talk. I really think things like that factor into his rankings. This is like the fourth time this season he has whined about Belichick/Saban/Mangini/Crennel media policies. Hey Dr. Z, no one cares.

Last edited:
I have to admit, I watched the Vermeil game mostly because I wanted to see if he would cry at some point. He did comment on loving one of the players and I thought the water works were coming. :)

Honestly, I don't remember hearing Vermeil saying anything at all insightful.

I, too, liked the second crew better. Just replacing Kornhole with either Jaws or Vermeil would be enough for me; not that I like Theisman, I don't, but Kornheiser is a black hole, a complete non entity.

I thought Vermeil was outstanding. Matter of fact I think he was far superior than Jimmy Johnson,Joe Gibbs and Mike Ditka.{Isnt saying much} But he was funny in a casual way and brought some pretty good knowledge to the booth. I hope he continues or better yet takes Theisman's job.

I don't mind Theisman at all, it's Paul McGuire that I can't stand

Thiesman, should have been fired... Vermeil, Jaws, and Tirico, would have been a great 3 man booth...

Sean Pa Patriot said:
Thiesman, should have been fired... Vermeil, Jaws, and Tirico, would have been a great 3 man booth...
Agree with you on Theismann, but Nessler kicks Tirico's ass. I like Tirico in the studio, but live during the game he's just... I dunno, under-prepared or confused or something.

TNPatsFan said:
Vermeil was always very good at the analyst job before he returned to coaching. Not surprised to see him transition back into it so well. I'd like to see more of that team, although I am surprised that I have enjoyed Korny's work on the games so far. I wasn't expecting to.
I find him more tolerable than expected, but the three of them together is almost painful. The surprise for me is that I really dislike Jaworski in the studio, but loved him doing color during a game... if only he would lose that damned overplayed fake radio 'puke' voice.

I'd dump the entire "A" team... put Tirico back in the studio, install Kornheiser as the sideline reporter for comic relief on a very occasional basis, put the "B" team on for the live games, and get rid of Joe altogether.

'Course they all have one thing they can be proud of. None of them are Joe Buck.

I agree with Florio, he said Kessler does a good job, but it just reminds you too much of college. Vermeil was very good, it helped when the players he was talking about he had been studying on for the last 4 years. Florio also said Jaws needs to tone down his radiovoice.

R_T26 said:
I agree with Florio, he said Kessler does a good job, but it just reminds you too much of college. Vermeil was very good, it helped when the players he was talking about he had been studying on for the last 4 years.
Not a problem for those of us that don't watch much college football. I'm not familiar with him, but based on that first broadcast, he's high quality play-by-play, and knows his role. I found him highly enjoyable.

Florio also said Jaws needs to tone down his radiovoice.
Regarding Jaws 'radio voice' ... it's a nightmare. As a former radio guy I'll tell you this, it took me about 3 months to develop my wicked-cool fake radio voice, and about 2 years of a quality Program Director going over broadcast tapes daily to beat it the hell out of me.

I liked the way it was last year. The Sunday Night ESPN crew was awesome with Patrick, McGuire and Theisman. Patrick is my favorite play by play man. I also miss having primetime at 7:30 eastern. That NBC highlight show sucks.

Last years sunday night crew wasnt that good, but they always made the game "feel" exciting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft