PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Dowling Injury Woes Continue, Fletcher Remains Out

Status
Not open for further replies.
With Bodden getting canned this makes the Dowling pick even more critical.

Considering that Belichick could have kept Bodden another couple of weeks until Dowling returned, not in BB's eyes it doesn't. He obviously did not relate the 2 whatsoever.

Obviously, and judging by many of the reporters that covered the move, Belichick felt that others could contribute just as effectively, if not more--than Bodden right now. Many have said that Bodden's nickel back snaps can be effectively taken over by other talent.

Bodden may have been hurt to some effect, and may have had a very poor attitude. No use keeping him around for that, is there? He didn't look all that great anyway this yr.

I don't believe the Bodden release had as much relation to Dowling as you apparently do, but I do hope that Dowling steps up, gets healthy, and shakes his oft-injured label.

Last edited:
Considering that Belichick could have kept Bodden another couple of weeks until Dowling returned, not in BB's eyes it doesn't. He obviously did not relate the 2 whatsoever.

Obviously, and judging by many of the reporters that covered the move, Belichick felt that others could contribute just as effectively, if not more--than Bodden right now.

Indeed...Bodden wasn't having all that great of a year but if Ras-I is injured who takes that spot?

Indeed...Bodden wasn't having all that great of a year but if Ras-I is injured who takes that spot?

I'm guessing that Molden has shown Belichick that he deserves more of a chance. Idk (obviously), and am just as concerned as you are, believe me.

Since we aren't privy to the information that the coach is, it's hard to guess one way or another, but apparently Bodden did not have the positive attitide going forward that BB wanted, or it may have simply been a talent issue.

I don't have any problem in the world with your questioning the moves, random..I am just saying that it was obvious that the defense was not getting the job done. In a questionable labor situation, this is apparently what Belichick felt was best for the team, and we saw his ousting of many key players. What I don't necessarily agree with, is that this yr's draft could have solved those issues.

For example, what other CB would you have taken personally, besides Dowling? There wasn't a huge choice to pick from at that point, and certainly no one has done anything more significant around the NFL to this point. He took a chance on his injury proneness, and maybe he felt that the higher NFL caliber rehab/trainers could turn Dowling around and utilize his talent.

There's no doubt that Belichick failed on some previous drafts, especially in the defensive area, hence the free agent defensive pickups this yr, and the overhaul in the secondary.

Last edited:
Over the past 4 years the Pats have drafted 6 DB's, and only one is playing in Sundays game. It might be a good idea if Bill took a vacation for the 2012 draft and let someone else do it.

Over the past 4 years the Pats have drafted 6 DB's, and only one is playing in Sundays game. It might be a good idea if Bill took a vacation for the 2012 draft and let someone else do it.

It might be a good idea if people didn't say stupid things like this too, but that doesn't stop them. :rolleyes:

Boo-hoo. Find me a team that has every draft pick from the last four years on their roster.

Good luck.

Sadly, the solution may have to be something more along the lines of spending another first round pick on a CB (NOT DB, as you erroneously typed) in order to finally fill the CB position.

Sadly, the solution may have to be something more along the lines of spending another first round pick on a CB (NOT DB, as you erroneously typed) in order to finally fill the CB position.

We have a #1 from 2010 starting on one side and the 33rd pick from 2011 to play the other when healthy.

Because BB hasnt had many poor drafts :rolleyes:.

No more than the normal GM/Player Personnel Director.

And he has certainly had more success than the normal GM/Player Personnel Director.

So roll your eyes all you want, it was a stupid statement.

No more than the normal GM/Player Personnel Director.

And he has certainly had more success than the normal GM/Player Personnel Director.

So roll your eyes all you want, it was a stupid statement.

The team's drafting of CBs has been poor since Hobbs in 2005.

Andrews - couldn't follow the law, was a late round special teams guy
Richardson - bounced around the league a bit, but couldn't make it as a CB
Wheatley - Dowling's predecessor as "Mr. Glass"
Wilhite - Nickel/Dime CB who eventually washed out in NE
Butler - Gone after just 2 years

Now, you can defend BB all you want, but it's not going to morph those picks into players who've made it and are starting for the Patriots. The reality is that the last drafted CB who demonstrated solid play for more than one season is STILL Ellis Hobbs (drafted in 2005). Hopefully McCourty will change that by bouncing back for the rest of this season but, to date, the much maligned Ellis Hobbs still has that title.

It would be great to see McCourty get settled down and become an all around player at CB, but that doesn't look like it's going to happen this year. It would be great if Dowling would get/stay healthy and become the starter on the other side. The Patriots will probably draft another CB in the first or second round next year (First won't surprise me at all, if they don't bring in a veteran), though, because those two and Arrington probably aren't going to be considered enough to man the positions, especially with Dowling being a bit of a china doll to this point in his career.

Last edited:
I doubt that we bring in a veteran CB to start next year. Veteran CB's salaries are so inflated now (thanks Nate Clements for getting that trend started).

Obviously, and judging by many of the reporters that covered the move, Belichick felt that others could contribute just as effectively, if not more--than Bodden right now. Many have said that Bodden's nickel back snaps can be effectively taken over by other talent.

Bodden may have been hurt to some effect, and may have had a very poor attitude. No use keeping him around for that, is there? He didn't look all that great anyway this yr.

I don't believe the Bodden release had as much relation to Dowling as you apparently do, but I do hope that Dowling steps up, gets healthy, and shakes his oft-injured label.

Hope in one hand. S$1T in the other. See which one fills up first. Dowling is as stated -- a china doll. His injury history going back to HIGH SCHOOL is lengthy. It's hard to imagine him turning into some kind of iron man.

Now, you can defend BB all you want, but it's not going to morph those picks into players who've made it and are starting for the Patriots. The reality is that the last drafted CB who demonstrated solid play for more than one season is STILL Ellis Hobbs (drafted in 2005). Hopefully McCourty will change that by bouncing back for the rest of this season but, to date, the much maligned Ellis Hobbs still has that title.

It would be great to see McCourty get settled down and become an all around player at CB, but that doesn't look like it's going to happen this year. It would be great if Dowling would get/stay healthy and become the starter on the other side. The Patriots will probably draft another CB in the first or second round next year (First won't surprise me at all, if they don't bring in a veteran), though, because those two and Arrington probably aren't going to be considered enough to man the positions, especially with Dowling being a bit of a china doll to this point in his career.
Willie Andews was a 7th round pick who made the team and contributed (pretty well) on special teams for a couple(?) of years. That is a successful 7th round pick.
Wilhite was a 4th who played 44 games and started 18 in 3 years. That is above average for a 4th round pick.
Richardson was a 6th who made the team and played in 10 games, again, above the average for a 6th.

Butler was a fail. Wheatley was a fail. Judge 2 poor 2nd round picks in 6 years as you will, but the other players you included are not supportive of your argument unless your argument is that any player drafted anywhere is supposed to turn into a quality long term starter.

Hope in one hand. S$1T in the other. See which one fills up first. Dowling is as stated -- a china doll. His injury history going back to HIGH SCHOOL is lengthy. It's hard to imagine him turning into some kind of iron man.

BOOMSHAKALAKA. And it isn't just a specific part of his body. It's his entire body.

rasigotmilk.jpg

*ROFLMAO* he missed 17 games, over a 8 year period. That includes his time in High School..

And he didn't have that many injuries over that time.. Checking facts instead of parroting people works wonders.

Now, that is not to say that Dowling is going to turn into some kind of Iron Man, but people weren't b!tching like this when Gronkowski was drafted in the 2nd round. And Gronkowski's injury was more severe than ANY of Dowlings..

*ROFLMAO* he missed 17 games, over a 8 year period. That includes his time in High School..

And he didn't have that many injuries over that time.. Checking facts instead of parroting people works wonders.

Now, that is not to say that Dowling is going to turn into some kind of Iron Man, but people weren't b!tching like this when Gronkowski was drafted in the 2nd round. And Gronkowski's injury was more severe than ANY of Dowlings..

Damn!
Guess I'll just hafta ignore the comparative facts vs Gronk when I use my fav nickname Glass IR Dowling which sounds so cool.

Damn!
Guess I'll just hafta ignore the comparative facts vs Gronk when I use my fav nickname Glass IR Dowling which sounds so cool.

Gronkowski had one severe back injury that caused him to miss games. Dowling's injuries are numerous including ankle, knee, hamstring several times, hip, back, and hand. There's a difference. Gronkowski's injury could have been a freak injury, like Brady's injury which caused them to miss significant games. Dowling's injuries on the other hand are more consistent and deserving of the "Glass" label.

Gronkowski had one severe back injury that caused him to miss games. Dowling's injuries are numerous including ankle, knee, hamstring several times, hip, back, and hand. There's a difference. Gronkowski's injury could have been a freak injury, like Brady's injury which caused them to miss significant games. Dowling's injuries on the other hand are more consistent and deserving of the "Glass" label.

Pretty shocking how many different injuries he has sustained...his start to his career does not look very promising.

That conversation right there was about the draft in general, not CBs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST