PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Dont'a Hightower at DE?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rob0729

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
I read somewhere this offseason that the Pats are considering using Hightower at DE at times in sub packages this coming season. With the addition of Anderson, he is even more of the odd man out at LB in sub packages.

He has played with his hand in the dirt for Bama at times and been successful at it (see videos below). I mean if the Pats are looking to get faster on defense, a sub package of Jones and Hightower at DE, Easley and Chris Jones inside, and Collins and Anderson at LBs would definitely achieve that goal.

He gets a sack at DE here

At the :18 market he plays DE in two plays in a row. Gets a pressure on the first and bats down the ball in the second. At the 2:20 mark he plays OLB and makes a good rush off the edge and pressures the QB. At the 3:04 mark, he rushes from the outside and gets a QB hit.

Last edited:
I would love to see it. I've been advocating that since before last season. He's not a good fit at LB in the 4-3 and is a liability in sub packages. Let the boy play some DE and add him to the rotation there. If the LB corps suffers a rash of injuries, he can move back.

I still think had Mayo not gone down and with Collins seeing increased snaps Hightower would have been the 3rd DE late in the season.

Last edited:
Hightower did say during an interview a few weeks ago that his preference is rushing the passer. I've thought he could do that adequately and look forward to seeing him do so.

I'm simply excited to see what this defense is capable of, provided all key pieces are healthy.

Hightower did say during an interview a few weeks ago that his preference is rushing the passer. I've thought he could do that adequately and look forward to seeing him do so.

I'm simply excited to see what this defense is capable of, provided all key pieces are healthy.
In fairness to any player in the Front 7, who wouldn't prefer to rush the passer?

why not try him..he sucks with it..just move him back

Are we assuming Will smith will be cut?

I would love to see it. I've been advocating that since before last season. He's not a good fit at LB in the 4-3 and is a liability in sub packages. Let the boy play some DE and add him to the rotation there. If the LB corps suffers a rash of injuries, he can move back.

Definitely agree. I think the Pats' hand was forced once Mayo and Spikes both went down, and Hightower played pretty much the entire last season out of position. His strength is his versatility; he should be lining up all over the field, and particularly on third down I would much rather see him with his hand in the dirt than trying to play man coverage on just about anyone.

In fairness to any player in the Front 7, who wouldn't prefer to rush the passer?
Fair point. I just thought it was interesting for a Patriots player to outright say he'd rather rush the passer in 3rd down situations instead of the standard line we usually get about whatever's best for the team.

No. More like hoping Jake Bequette is put out to pasture.

I mean you could do worse than
Jones
Ninkovich
Smith
Hightower
Buchanan

As your edge pass rushers.

Maybe give Smith and Hightower a series here and there keep the wear and tear down on Jones and Ninkovich.

Doubt it unless he is done. Hightower will be a LB who can play some DE. He is likely to be OLB in base packages even if he is a situational DE.

Hightower being able to play both positions gives some flexibility, but I would still expect the Pats to carry four or possibly 5 DEs. I think Jones, Nink, Smith, and Buchannon are all on the roster.

Doubt it unless he is done. Hightower will be a LB who can play some DE. He is likely to be OLB in base packages even if he is a situational DE.

Hightower being able to play both positions gives some flexibility, but I would still expect the Pats to carry four or possibly 5 DEs. I think Jones, Nink, Smith, and Buchannon are all on the roster.

I thought Hightower was going to be MLB? I could see him moving around and rushing, but I'm guessing it's as much from an ILB position as a DE.

At our peak in 2003-4 we got a rush from all over, though that was a 3-4 usually.

I agree with Brady6's thought that Buchanan could surprise this year with added weight. I'm fine with our DE rotation:

Jones
Ninko
Buchanan
Smith
Moore (practice squad)

Armstead could play DE as well. Let Hightower focus on improving his LB skills.

Also, don't forget that Easley can play some DE too.

Once again we are all getting caught up trying to label and pigeonhole our players. Hightower, like many of our best defensive players can play any of 3 positions ILB, OLB, DE. I think the injuries last season kept us from seeing the "explosive" nature of Dante Hightower, that had me so high on him coming out of college.

The thing I keep harping on is with so many players able to play so many positions, it makes it very difficult for OC's to predict what the Pats will be doing based on personnel packages. For example. Think about this scenario. You have Easly and Kelly playing an off set 4-2 with Hightower and Collins stacking behind the DT's presenting the OL with a 4 on 3 potential.

The Pats can bring 2, 3, or all 4 in various combinations of straight gap or stem blitzes. This would put enormous pressure on the middle of the pass protection and almost assures the QB having to make a quick throw right into what could be a 4 or 5 man under defense designed to attack just those kinds of throw. Then using the exact same personnel have Hightower and Collins attacking the edge or being in some kind of coverage

The philosophy is one that Rex Ryan used back when the Jets had a top 3 D every year. Its not necessarily blitzing all the time, its creating the POSSIBILITY of that blitz every time. If the QB THINKS he's going to get immediate pressure, he's going to want to get the ball out quick. Defenders knowing the ball is coming out quick have an advantage, which allows them to be more aggressive.

It also forces both the QB AND the receivers all make the correct reads together since the windows will be smaller. So the QB has to hope what he is seeing is what he's going to get, hope his receivers are seeing the same thing he is, PLUS he needs to be more accurate because he's throwing into tight windows. That's a lot of "hoping" going on. Plus the fact, even if the play is successful, the completions are usually being made in the 6-10 yd range. So you have to be successful a lot to complete a scoring drive.

The Pats now have the personnel to do things like zone blitzes and overload blitzes. These are things we've never seen done by a BB team prior to this year. But if you look at the personnel he's assembling, he can do it now. All the LB can cover (some better than others). 2 of the LB's have the measurables to also be decent edge rushers, and all of them can be on the field when the ball is run.

My mind is having a hard time contemplating the myriad possibilities. I can't wait.

Also, don't forget that Easley can play some DE too.

This is one of the biggest reasons that i came around on taking him in the first. Easely doesn't just address the need for a penetrating DT who can wreak havoc in the backfield but also provides them with the rotational DE we were also calling for.

The Hightower to DL discussion is an interesting one but it would also be a big gamble for both the team and Hightower going forward. They could run him into the mix depending upon how the roster fills out and what their needs are but if they are going to be serious about it for the future then he needs to put on another 15 or so LBS and focus on learning the DL instead of bouncing back and forth. If they are moving towards a faster and more athletic LB corps going forward DL I can see them trying to morph Hightower into a DL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Back