PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Donkeys looking to take JOHNSON at # 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

carolinatony

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
There's a rumor being reported on 950 AM in Denver that the Broncos are trying to make a play for the No. 2 overall pick in the draft, in an effort to land receiver Calvin Johnson.

A source with knowledge of the discussions tells us that the rumor is dead-on accurate, and that an offer has been made by the Broncos to the Lions.

Per the rumor and based on what we've heard, the Broncos have offered their first-round, second-round, and third-round pick in the 2007 draft and their first-rounder in 2008 for the No. 2 spot.

The Lions, we're told, are concerned that the No. 21 overall spot would put them too low to land one of the players whom they covet. The Lions' goal in trading down is/has been to get more picks, and to still get one of the players they want, but at a lower salary slot.

This is from PFT btw.

that's a LOT to give up.

Thats close to a Ricky Williams offer.

Here's a link... http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

Can definitely see this happening as Shanahan passed on Chad Jackson last season and really doesn't have a young WR to pair up with Cutler for the years to come.

Denver picks just three spots ahead of us so if this trade were to go down it would affect our strategy. The Lions really wanted London Fletcher but he ended up going to Washington. Perhaps they'll settle for the local kid, David Harris at #21 instead. Another prospect they could interested in is Central Michigan product OT Joe Staley.

Last edited:
Wow. If he busts out I'm gonna go kamikaze on Dove Valley.

If not, best thing ever. I'm not shocked. The Broncos aways do crazy **** like this.

I'm wondering if this is a smokescreen to screw with Al Davis' head?

It's kind of a lot but they're lowish picks too. I'd do it if I were Detroit but #2 to #21 is a long drop.

I got it off another teams boards.
The Lions get a lot of picks but not the quality ones they need. I could see them trading down to 6-10 and pick up another 2nd pick but not this deal

1,2,3 and then the next #1 the year after. If this happened and Calvin Johnson turns out to be a bust I'd laugh so friggin hard.

Actually I could see them going after ADRIAN PETERSON

Detroit should jump all over this deal. Sure 2 to 21 is quite a drop, but Detroit isn't going to be fixed in a year.

Then again, considering how Detroit drafts, maybe 1 sure thing is better than 4 players to be named later....

YOu never know, if the Lions can find someone to trade back up with, you might see somthing happen.

I don't even think of taking this deal if I'm the Lions. The Bronco's picks are going to be late in the affected rounds as they are going to contend this year and next for sure. I think this is a great move by the Bronco's. It's worth giving up the picks for greatness and Johnson seems to have it written all over him. Anything can happen, but by far he is the surest thing in this draft.

The Lions would be better off taking an earlier 1st this year and a 2nd this year and some other sweeteners. For the Pats sake, I hope they do turn it down.

Remember, crazy Al covets WR's, not QB's. On Sirius NFL radio they were talking about just that today. One caller relayed this story - he ran into Al Davis at an airport a number of years ago, turned out they were waiting for the same plane. They started talking football, Al commented that, in his view, the way to win in this leauge is to get the top WR's, and then get some vet QB to throw to them. That does seem to be his modus operandi.

So, I would not be the least bit surprised he drafts Calvin Johnson this weekend, then he picks up Culpepper from Miami after the Fins and KC get the Trent Green deal done.

I'd jump on that deal if I were the Lions.

They'd likely get starters out of the first two picks this year, and another starter from the first next year.

Go for it!

Broncks really hurt their depth possibilities if this trade goes through.

Denver couldn't even afford him. His contract will be like $25m in guarantees!

I give you my guarantee(which doesn't mean squat) that Detroit will not do this. I did hear on sirius today that there are rumors flying that Tampa Bay is getting ready to give them their 4th overall, 2nd and 3rd rounder for the 2nd pick. If I were the Lions I would do that in half a heartbeat.

I don't think that's enough for that pick. You need to pay a little more for a move from the 21st slot.

A #1 pick next year, especially if the donks have a decent season, is worth no more than a late 2nd this year.

Essentially, that's the #21 pick, 2 late second rounders and a late 3rd, to pick second in the draft for a big stud like Calvin Johnson?

That's just not enough picks. That's like giving up a #1, Wes Welker and Duane Starks for calvin johnson.

Detroit would do much better with trading down about four times, picking up picks each time. Check the value chart. This isn't close.

For starters, check out what Detroit should require to move down to six. then from six to 11, then from 11 to 16, then from 16 to 21.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 5/7: News and Notes
What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Back