PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Donkeys looking to take JOHNSON at # 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is another one of those situations where the draft value chart may be overrated.

If the Lions don't want to pay 40M or whatever it is the #2 pick gets they're best off trading down. There is VALUE in signing guys to reasonable deals rather than blowing a big cap number on a rookie. You only want to sign a guy to top pick money if he is a special player, and the one special player the lions could get there is at a position they cannot draft.

And while they might be better off trading the #2 for the #6 + picks, then trading that for the #12 + picks, etc., this requires those other teams to be willing to trade up.

I personally hate the draft chart because I think it hamstrings too many teams. GMs know that every reporter out there has a copy of it and any trade they make will be measured by it. So even if a team can trade up to #20 to draft a guy they had graded #10, they'll get killed for overpaying for #20. Not only do teams have to decide whether or not the trade is worth it to them, they also have to see if it is deemed reasonable by the stupid chart.

I don't care what the chart says, if I am the Lions and I don't want to shell out silly money I try to trade down. If the Broncos offer is the best offer I take it, even if the silly chart tells me I shouldn't.

the least discussing it can do is spur anyone else interested to make a bid.

This is a very entertaining notion, but it just isn't going to happen. Mike Ditka has already given a fine demonstration of what happens when you bet the house on one draft choice. Shanahan is a smart fellow, he's not going to do this, even if Detroit agrees.

However, if the draft gods go nuts and the deal somehow takes place, we all know what will happen: Johnson will break his pelvis on the first day of practice. The draft gods give and the draft gods take.

It was reported this morning on ESPN that Detroit is only willing to trade down as far as 10 in this year's draft.

It was reported this morning on ESPN that Detroit is only willing to trade down as far as 10 in this year's draft.

Because they have a guy targeted and that's where they figure they can get him at.....not at #21.

Because they have a guy targeted and that's where they figure they can get him at.....not at #21.

My guess is it's a defensive prospect since the consensus top picks are mostly on the offensive side of the ball(Russell, CJ & Thomas).

This is another one of those situations where the draft value chart may be overrated.

Yeah, the iffiest part of the draft chart is the vast value allotted to the top handful of picks. The number of truly premium players varies too much from year to year. Last year, with marquee names at the marquee positions, those picks were probably worth the assigned values. The year before, not even close. Alex Smith might well have fallen to round 2 in the 2006 draft!

And this year? Looking at comparable players last year to this (as draft prospects, not taking into account rookie performance) I think you'd have to say that:

Vince Young > JaMarcus Russell
Matt Leinart > Brady Quinn
Reggie Bush > Adrian Peterson
D'Brickashaw Ferguson > Joe Thomas
Mario Williams > Gaines Adams

So the top of the draft chart that seemed fair last year looks distinctly overvalued this year. (Though Any 2006 WR < Calvin Johnson!)

I vote for the Donks as winners of the Dan Snyder offseason award.

Actually I could see them going after ADRIAN PETERSON

Am I the only one who doesn't see greatness in Adrian Peterson? He is decent and will likely be a solid pro, but I don't think he's special. I've seen him get taken out of games at the college level.

Per the rumor and based on what we've heard, the Broncos have offered their first-round, second-round, and third-round pick in the 2007 draft and their first-rounder in 2008 for the No. 2 spot.

What?!?!?!?!?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 5/7: News and Notes
What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Back