PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Does Samuel Get Franchised?

Status
Not open for further replies.
wow I didnt know you would recieve 2 1st round picks if someone signs away you're "non-exclusive franchise player". Can this really be right? I cant imagine anyone giving away 2 1st rounders to sign Asante. ( to a huge contract )

Also I was mistaken about the 6mil, it seems the 7.25mil is correct.

I stand by my post that Graham has horrible hands, granted I've seen him make some great catches but I've seen him drop lots of balls when he was WIDE OPEN. Maybe its a mental thing for him but for some reason he makes the tough catch & blows the easy ones. ( he's improved this year but '04 & '05 he was dropping balls at an alarming rate )

You must be remembering during his 1st 2 years because Graham has rarely dropped a ball of late. And Givens led the team last year in dropped balls.

The "downside" to making Asante "non-exclusive" is that another team is free to beat the Patriots contract offer, but the Patriots have a right to match, or if they decline they'll receive two first round picks in compensation. Considering how well the Pats draft in the first round, and how cheap five years of a first round pick are versus, say, three years of a talented veteran like Samuel, who here wouldn't like that transaction?

Exactly. This is the course of action I expect them to follow.

wow I didnt know you would recieve 2 1st round picks if someone signs away you're "non-exclusive franchise player". Can this really be right? I cant imagine anyone giving away 2 1st rounders to sign Asante. ( to a huge contract )
I cannot imagine anyone giving us a firt rounder for Samuel, never mind two of them. Nor can I imagine the Patriots paying 7-8 million dollars for ONE YEAR of Samuel's services. They didn't pay that for Ty Law.

I don't think the patriots are fine with Samuel signing a $7.25M contract with us for 2007. I wouldn't.

We've got bingo. If the patriots franchise Samuel, they must be prepared to actually pay him the franchise amount. Of course, they could franchise him and then trade him for a 3rd.

I cannot imagine anyone giving us a firt rounder for Samuel, never mind two of them. Nor can I imagine the Patriots paying 7-8 million dollars for ONE YEAR of Samuel's services. They didn't pay that for Ty Law.

Let put things in perspective. The Pats refused to pay Ty Law 7 million when the cap was increasing from 80 to 85 million. However, since then, the Cap has just to 102 million and will be 109 million next year. By my calculations, that is a 28% increase in the cap.

6 Million in 2005 is not the same as 6 million in 2007. Thanks to the cap increasing 24 million.

While I don't believe that Asante is worth 7.225+, I also could see the Pats franchising him if they felt that the options out there weren't better.

The problem is that, unless the Pats franchise him and trade him, they will get, at best, a 3rd round comp pick for Samuel.

I would much rather nate clements than samuel but clements will get big bucks. Int's by a cb could be the worst baramoter to measure success. Honestly there are probably about 2 maybe 3 current elite corners in the show right now. All it takes it little things like int's to put a cb on a map or a good monday night game like Dante Hall had vs owens a few years back, I'm sorry Hall is average at best. Most good cb's dont have the stats to show, its because there man to man coverage is excellent and balls usually are not thrown near them.

I agree, I don't even see anyone giving the Pats a high or mid 2nd for him. He has one good year under his belt and it's unproven whether it's due to the contract or he is here to stay.

I don't see them franchising him but I hope they do for one year to "buy" some time for a transition.

Rookies tend to get injured too often and can't handle a long season. We also have injury prone randal gay.

I could see them franchising Asante just to buy themselves more time before removing it or to trade him (like Tebucky after the 2002 season)

We've got bingo. If the patriots franchise Samuel, they must be prepared to actually pay him the franchise amount. Of course, they could franchise him and then trade him for a 3rd.

How do we have bingo? Wasn't Ty having major injury problems with that foot and there was no gurantee that he would be able to play the next season? How does that compare to Asante right now?

How do we have bingo? Wasn't Ty having major injury problems with that foot and there was no gurantee that he would be able to play the next season?
???? You been hanging around Rip Van Winkle too much :D

Ty's foot issues were two off-seasons ago. After the foot injury, Ty played in 2005 with the Jets and had 10 INTs and zero foot problems.

How does that compare to Asante right now?
Ty had 10 INTs in 2005, and wanted $6 million to play the next year (2006) but the Pats said no. Samuel had 10 INTs in 2006, and you want to pay him 7-8 million to play next year. What's not to compare?

But seriously, the idea of paying Samuel over $7 million dollars is silly IMO. He's good, but not top-five-CB-in-the-NFL good.

???? You been hanging around Rip Van Winkle too much :D

Ty's foot issues were two off-seasons ago. After the foot injury, Ty played in 2005 with the Jets and had 10 INTs and zero foot problems.

Ty had 10 INTs in 2005, and wanted $6 million to play the next year (2006) but the Pats said no. Samuel had 10 INTs in 2006, and you want to pay him 7-8 million to play next year. What's not to compare?

But seriously, the idea of paying Samuel over $7 million dollars is silly IMO. He's good, but not top-five-CB-in-the-NFL good.

You are attempting to compare a 32 year old Ty Law to a 26 year old Asante Samuel when it comes to paying?

The Pats front loaded Ty's Contract offer and I don't believe it was for as long.

There will always be posters who re-write history. Law didn't play here because the team didn't think he was worth $6M a year.

How do we have bingo? Wasn't Ty having major injury problems with that foot and there was no gurantee that he would be able to play the next season? How does that compare to Asante right now?

Yes, we are discussing comparing whether Ty Law was a better prospect for one year for $6M then compared with Samuel at $7.25M now. Different folks would have different choices. I voted "yes" then and "no" now.

You are attempting to compare a 32 year old Ty Law to a 26 year old Asante Samuel when it comes to paying?

The Pats front loaded Ty's Contract offer and I don't believe it was for as long.

Yes, we are discussing comparing whether Ty Law was a better prospect for one year for $6M then compared with Samuel at $7.25M now. Different folks would have different choices. I voted "yes" then and "no" now.

I think alot depends who you have on the bench to replace someone. But then again Woody left and Mankins came in and we were lucky with his health as a rookie.

This is a very simple situation to me. Asante Samuel had a great year this year and is going to be due big bucks this offseason. The Patriots would be wise to franchise him and look to get a late 1st/early 2nd round pick for him in this years draft since with all the juniors coming out this is a VERY deep draft. The only way I wouldn't pursue this avenue is if Asante is willing to take a hometown discount, which I doubt he is.

For anyone who doesn't think that teams will giveup a late 1st or early 2nd for Asante, remember two things
1. A lot of marginal teams are obsessed with getting Patriots players
2. CB is a very in demand position in the NFL, arguably the most in demand position among all the defensive positions because of the amount of passing in todays NFL.

Also, I'm sure there are a lot of people who want to re-sign Asante because we have a lot of cap room, but in a few years would you want Asante making 8 mill a year when that money could go to Wilfork, Warren, Watson, Mankins, Maroney, etc...I'd rather a good draft pick

We will have Hobbs, Scott, Gay and Wilson as potential corners next year. And we will bring in a few like Poteat or Mickens. We are comfortable with Hawkins, Harrison, and Sanders at safety (plus Jones and Mitchell).

Do we need better at corner? Of course. Will we look for mid-level and high-level free agents, and even jags? Sure. Will we look for a corner in every round of the draft? Sure! Will we look for trades? Sure! Will we pay Samuel $7.25M to play in 2007? NOT! Will we give Samuel a huge free agent contract, outbidding all the other teams? NOT!

Our front office knows how to build a dynasty; how to build a team that will be competitive and in the hunt every year. This strategy does not include paying Samuel over $7M a year. Brady, yes. Samuel, yes. Warren perhaps. But Samuel, no.

As I said before, I'd rather pay someone who will protect Brady $3.5M a year than even consider paying Samuel.

We will have Hobbs, Scott, Gay and Wilson as potential corners next year. And we will bring in a few like Poteat or Mickens. We are comfortable with Hawkins, Harrison, and Sanders at safety (plus Jones and Mitchell).

Do we need better at corner? Of course. Will we look for mid-level and high-level free agents, and even jags? Sure. Will we look for a corner in every round of the draft? Sure! Will we look for trades? Sure! Will we pay Samuel $7.25M to play in 2007? NOT! Will we give Samuel a huge free agent contract, outbidding all the other teams? NOT!

Our front office knows how to build a dynasty; how to build a team that will be competitive and in the hunt every year. This strategy does not include paying Samuel over $7M a year. Brady, yes. Samuel, yes. Warren perhaps. But Samuel, no.

As I said before, I'd rather pay someone who will protect Brady $3.5M a year than even consider paying Samuel.

I still say the team tags him as a non exclusive, let someone out bid them, and take their draft picks. Snyder will be on his plane to Foxboro at midnight to make that deal. He never values the draft. There is just one example of a sucker..um..trading partner willing to do something just like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back