Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Does Patsfans need an "A**clown forum" ?

• Yes - the forum is a great idea

Votes: 39 79.6%
  • No - no thanks

Votes: 10 20.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks Brownfan80. Now moving onto another question, for those who were here on Sunday right after the game I thought the server ran well and looking at the stats it didn't appear to have an issue. Did anyone run into any problems?

Ian

Like good officiating. I didn't notice it, so it must have been working well.

Seriously, I think it's better than ever, though I don't remember how much I was on Sunday.

Thanks Brownfan80. Now moving onto another question, for those who were here on Sunday right after the game I thought the server ran well and looking at the stats it didn't appear to have an issue. Did anyone run into any problems?

Ian

I didn't run into any problems at all. It's great again.

The only thing still snagged for me is that Zpoints problem with the images. But I know that must be on a backburner, and rightly so.

The site is running as well as it ever has. Great stuff Ian, thanks.

I'm not in favor of the idea but if the majority rules for it, some names to consider:

A Patriot Missile (in honor of Zeke "take a peek" Mowatt)
Butts Bozos (in honor of Marion Butts)
Tuna Helpers (for much hated SB XXXVI quitting coach)
Into the Pupu (Mosi, naturally)
You're Faulked

Man, those are HILARIOUS

R

Ian

The site seems to be running great now, Ian. Sounds like you will be able to improve it even more after the holidays. One suggestion would be to improve the Draft Forum. I, for one, spent a lot of time on it last year, and enjoyed it a great deal. Perhaps sticky links to popular mock draft sites? We've got the picks this year so there should be a lot of interest.

I didn't run into any problems at all. It's great again.

The only thing still snagged for me is that Zpoints problem with the images. But I know that must be on a backburner, and rightly so.

The site is running as well as it ever has. Great stuff Ian, thanks.

Yes, the Zoints problem will be taken care of once I have time to sit down and look at it. It was working fine and then had a glitch, but I'll be looking into it and will get it taken care of.

It was nice to see the server handling the load so well, so it appears we're in good shape. Which is nice considering it took an entire month plus a week offline to get us to a permanant new home.

Ian

Yes, the Zoints problem will be taken care of once I have time to sit down and look at it. It was working fine and then had a glitch, but I'll be looking into it and will get it taken care of.

It was nice to see the server handling the load so well, so it appears we're in good shape. Which is nice considering it took an entire month plus a week offline to get us to a permanant new home.

Ian

Right on, seems like it was WELL worth the wait. :) Thanks for your effort.

The site seems to be running great now, Ian. Sounds like you will be able to improve it even more after the holidays. One suggestion would be to improve the Draft Forum. I, for one, spent a lot of time on it last year, and enjoyed it a great deal. Perhaps sticky links to popular mock draft sites? We've got the picks this year so there should be a lot of interest.

That's in the works and will definitely be part of it. We did some things in the past that really went well and I'm going to try and re-implement them here again as we get closer to March. But you'll definitely see some changes with that forum, along with many others as well.

Ian

Does Patfans need an A**clown forum ?

No, we DON'T need it.

After seeing the immediate ugliness just the concept has had in this thread I feel I don't want to see it here at all. We don't need a detention forum anyway. If you don't like what a poster says, or you flat out don't like a particular poster at all, then just put them on your ignore list - - - that's what it is there for in the first place! You don't have to read ANYONE'S threads or responses if you don't want to read opinions or rants that might piss you off. Just ignore them and don't read their stuff. If they cross the line of good taste or become too obnoxious then they get their butt banned for a while by Ian. System works, don't screw around with it.

We don't need a new forum section. The ones we've got have been working fine under Ian's tenure, leave them alone. This forum is great just the way it is. IMHO.

"Does Patfans need an A**clown forum?"

Not sure we need it, but if we do, might I suggest we call it "KEEGS CENTRAL?"

The Penalty Box
The Detention Center
The Troll Cage

Are some names that I can think of just off the top of my head. I think there are times when we get inundated with trolls but it usually happens right before/after a big game.

I like the idea of it but I don't think it's necessary if the moderators stay on their toes. Then again it would be nice to have a section to just move the offtopic, nonfootball, or just troll baiting threads into.

I don't like the idea of voting people off though. That should be up to the discretion of the moderator. Well regulated forums should not be democracies, they should be run like benign dictatorships.

Last edited:
It's an interesting concept, and something I've been thinking about after seeing one of the new features added to the Vbulletin upgrade I installed after the forum move.

The new upgrade includes an "Infraction Manager", which allows the moderators to issue infractions to users who violate board policy or simply become problem posters. We can set the limit and impose automatic bans, etc. I haven't had much time recently to look this over and planned on doing it after the holiday, but I think it would be a good way to tie it in with another forum.

There will be many changes happening here in the next few weeks, with many plans to add several new forums and really enhance everyone's experience here...Ian

Infraction Manager....I like the sound of that. The server speed was top notch Sunday night. The only problem I ran into was the usual redundant thread hijacking issue (which borders on spamming in my estimation)...

I know you try to maintain order here with a deft touch, but every once in a while a you run up against self absorbed personalities that only respond to the internet equivalent of a 2 by 4 upside the head, if at all. It's a shame when a few bad apples are allowed to drag the whole site down to their pissing match level. A lot of people lurk here, as you remind us from time to time, and while most of us remain anonymous, your name is the one the Home Page.

I resisted the impulse to jump into this fray earlier because I just knew what it would evolve into, another mercurial NEM vs. the world meltdown, and it is just getting soooooo old. I also voted yes because while I know the increased volume works for you, and for the aggrevation you go through to keep this site up and running you deserve to derive whatever you want or need from it, I think the quality this site used to exhibit more routinely worked for you too. I know that's what led me to join and post here.

But the tenor of the board has changed dramatically in the last several months and the civility that marked even heated disagreements back in the day has been replaced with bouts of hysteria and histrionics. It's all well and good to suggest that people stay out of threads they have a problem with, but that's not the nature of these boards. Today it's as if some here are determined to browbeat others into submission or make as many others as possible as miserable as they apparently are if they can't get their way.

Just as the membership outgrew the old server I think it has outgrown it's former ability to self police under a loose rein. You have a good group of mods but I get the sense even they are confused or conflicted as to what it is they are supposed to do when even moving or merging threads can ignite little fire storms. And inconsistent enforcement of the few rules in existence just opens them and the whole process up to criticism.

Ultimately what this site should be is up to you, and I would guess in your estimation that's what the majority of it's members want it to be. Hopefully that is the same thing it was when I first joined - the most rational and intelligent and civil football fan site on the internet - just with more traffic. :D

BTW do you have Brownfan 80 and Box's email addresses? In case I need to confer with them, since I've never had PM'ing enabled here for a reason. ;)

BTW do you have Brownfan 80 and Box's email addresses? In case I need to confer with them, since I've never had PM'ing enabled here for a reason. ;)

The plot thickens.

I did not mean to have this thread turn into a thread about NEM. But I see that NEM has done that all by himself.

This is what got him banned on KFFL, (temporarily) banned here, and assclowned on the Planet. Of course, threatening the mods over there didn't help either.

My advice is this: When your in a hole, stop digging.

R

I just went over and looked. They're now actually even talking about banning NEM from the AssClown forum.

NEM, you need to cool it or you'll soon have nowhere to go. I, for one, don't want that to happen to you, but your behavior is asking for it. You need to chill and just talk football, which you do well. My advice to you is to walk away from this thread without another word.

Last edited:
I just went over and looked. They're now actually even talking about banning NEM from the AssClown forum.

NEM, you need to cool it or you'll soon have nowhere to go. I, for one, don't want that to happen to you, but your behavior is asking for it. You need to chill and just talk football, which you do well. My advice to you is to walk away from this thread without another word.

He never has and never will walk away from any post, that is his strength and his weakness.

I'm not in favor of the idea but if the majority rules for it, some names to consider:

A Patriot Missile (in honor of Zeke "take a peek" Mowatt)
Butts Bozos (in honor of Marion Butts)
Tuna Helpers (for much hated SB XXXVI quitting coach)
Into the Pupu (Mosi, naturally)
You're Faulked

LOL those are great! They really aren't demeaning/embarrassing in nature like "a***clown" would be;they're more along the lines of clever and tongue-in-cheek.
Seeing as I could end up there someday, "You're Faulked" gets my vote LOL!

It's an interesting concept, and something I've been thinking about after seeing one of the new features added to the Vbulletin upgrade I installed after the forum move.

The new upgrade includes an "Infraction Manager", which allows the moderators to issue infractions to users who violate board policy or simply become problem posters. We can set the limit and impose automatic bans, etc. I haven't had much time recently to look this over and planned on doing it after the holiday, but I think it would be a good way to tie it in with another forum.

There will be many changes happening here in the next few weeks, with many plans to add several new forums and really enhance everyone's experience here. The first step is to complete the server migration and finally move the domain over to here, which will hopefully happen this weekend. I just need some time to be able to sit down and do it, as I've been working long hours as of late (I work retail, and it's the holiday season) and I'm just too tired to do it. I also have to get some assistance fixing a bug in the Zoints software and hopefully will have that done shortly as well.

The server seems to be running well now, as we hit nearly 700 users on Sunday and didn't miss a beat, so that was great to finally see. It's been a long time coming but it looks like it's time to finish the migration, and then things should finally go back to normal.

In the meantime I'm always open to suggestions and love seeing everyone's feedback. Please keep it coming :cool3:

Ian

Thank you for all your efforts,Ian. They are definitely paying off and are much appreciated!
I'm a sporadic poster because I'm not always near a PC but ever since you revamped this site it works perfectly everytime which is no small feat. Congrats on this forum.

YES! I say we start with the ARCHIVES. :D

I was initially against this whole idea but... after seeing the way this post degraded into a personal pissing contest I have changed my mind. I may not post here often but I read this forum everyday. I am in Atlanta and this is often the only place for me to read and talk about a team that I have loved for 40 years. I always find it a disapointment when the talk turns away from the Pats and football and towards mindless personal attacks. If the new rules will put a stop to this crap I am all for it. (and I vote for You're Faulked).

Ian. I was on Sunday and it was great. I love being able to read about the game since I don't get to see most of them.

Nope, I don't see any good coming from it. This place has become way to "clickey" (sp) over the years for something like that to be implimented fairly in my opinion.

This is a "football" site not an "entertainment" site after all.

If it has to be, I'd vote for JACKED UP.

BTW, thanks Ian. This place is flying now.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore