Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Does Patsfans need an "A**clown forum" ?

• Yes - the forum is a great idea

Votes: 39 79.6%
  • No - no thanks

Votes: 10 20.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
First the word azzclown is a dumb name that should have never caught on. I'm glad its lost its zing and faded as an insult because it was always a lousy one.

More importantly, I've been to a lot of forums and whenever it becomes a matter of voting someone out, the place turns into a high school. Controversial ideas and free thought in general get stifled because everyone gets afraid of offending 'the cool kids.' Its NOT Democracy, its fascism by popular demand. I can already see it happening here as people pipe in with glee about even the possibility of settling old, silly grudges that should have been dropped a long time ago.

The forum has an Ignore option and has rules and people to enforce those rules. I'm happy, by and large, with how that enforcement has been carried out and don't see any need for a change. Especially one that has this much potential for harm.

Now, just for discussion sake, lets assume that some type of special place is established. How do we determine who gets sent there?

Here is my proposal.

A panel of FIVE members be established to cast their votes. The panel shall be made up of the five posters, in order, with the highest number of posts.

At this time, that would be...

NEM
BoxOfRocks
Belichick Fan
F.B.N
PatsNutMe

These five would cast an open vote. And,then, that vote would have to be approved, or disapproved, by Ian.

The panel would change as the top five posters changes.

Somebody mentioned "democratic" and to me, that seems tobe "democratic."

Why should the criteria be number of posts? You are using that, obviously, to be included in the group and get some level of 'safety', but that criteria makes no sense. Democracy means the entire group decides, not a selected council.

You're so vehemently against the idea until you come up with a way to not only protect yourself, but to give yourself some sort of power in the deal.

Flip. Flop. It's the NEM fish!

Don't you think that a panel of posters that would be making decisions like that should be full of coolheaded decision makers that are apt to be un-emotional and objective? Can you really claim that you possess those characteristics?

:rofl: :rofl:

EXACTLY...as others have already suggested.

The post directly before the one you're agreeing with here, you're suggesting the opposite as long as you're included in the select group of decision makers. Which is it? Is it a bad idea? Or a good one as long as you're given the power? Make up your mind.

I voted yes. I say let the people speak.

Thats a load of crap, and quite frankly, that thought didnt enter my mind. I figured the best way of honest selection was the way I suggested.

Instead of criticizing, and making trouble, which you do very well, whats your suggestion. I didnt see anything coming out of your mouth other than venom, which you do all the time. Now, im outta here, i do0nt have time for your personal agenda, and games. Go play with your buddies and your toys, you are not welcome in the same world as I live.

I'm not instigating anything, it's right there in the thread: You're vehemently against the idea for the entire length of the thread, until your 'proposal' in which you'd have part of the 'power' of this proposed council. You do the math, it's not rocket science.

Buddies and toys? Why must every post you make have some sort of condescension? It's really uncalled for.

I'm not welcome in the same world as you live? haha. Well, you can have Arizona, I'm not that interested in visiting the desert, so don't worry. But as for me taking up space in the same -world-, well, sorry buddy, I'm here and I'm not going anyplace.

My suggestion is that if a poster is obviously causing trouble for people then a pole should be started as to whether to start an 'exile pole'. There could be a preset number of votes that the pole had to reach before it was 'official'. Meaning that your 'clique' worry could be removed by setting the pole total at 20 votes. If over 50% say yes, then we create the exile vote that's voted on by the entire group.

If the second pole comes out with more yes votes than no votes, then the person is sent to exile. Good behavior in exile would lead to the person being allowed back into the main forum after a set amount of time (a month ?).

In that scenario the 'personal' votes would get drowned out by the majority. In your scenario personal motivations would become a much bigger issue as only five voices would be the ones heard, leading other posters to group with certain council members to try and gain 'sway'. It's a bad idea. Democracy of the entire goup is the only correct answer.

And one last thing, if what you say is correct, how come the five I selected show that I would be in the minority, 3-1 with one in the middle. You are so far off base with your personal hatred it is ridiculous.

I don't hate you, I don't even know you.

However, I'm fairly sure that if people had gone along with your Council Idea that you'd have come up with another great idea that Council members should be exempt from exile. Just a hunch.

:)

This debate is silly. Establishing "purgatory" for posters who behave childishly is childish in itself. Let Ian and the moderators dole out whatever is needed to deal with problem posters. Putting such responsibility in the hands of those with the most posts (a couple of whom have habitually exhibited questionable judgment of their own) is simply asking for trouble.

Another idea:

You think your proposal is 'fair', but I don't agree as the people in the forum would have five people that they didn't choose as their 'elected officials'.

I say if there's a council, let there be a vote by the group on who is their voice. Why shouldn't the group be able to decide who speaks for them? Shouldn't it be a council that the entire group trusts as their voice?

Putting such responsibility in the hands of those with the most posts (a couple of whom have habitually exhibited questionable judgment of their own) is simply asking for trouble.

Agreed. It should be done by democratic vote by the entire group or not at all.

Another idea:

You think your proposal is 'fair', but I don't agree as the people in the forum would have five people that they didn't choose as their 'elected officials'.

I say if there's a council, let there be a vote by the group on who is their voice. Why shouldn't the group be able to decide who speaks for them? Shouldn't it be a council that the entire group trusts as their voice?

We already have that: Ian and the moderators. What's going on here that they can't handle?

We already have that: Ian and the moderators. What's going on here that they can't handle?

It's not a suggestion that anything is going on that Ian and the mods can't handle, I believe that the thread was started on the basis that the poster liked the democracy and self policing created by the system.

Now, just for discussion sake, lets assume that some type of special place is established. How do we determine who gets sent there?

Here is my proposal.

A panel of FIVE members be established to cast their votes. The panel shall be made up of the five posters, in order, with the highest number of posts.

At this time, that would be...

NEM
BoxOfRocks
Belichick Fan
F.B.N
PatsNutMe

These five would cast an open vote. And,then, that vote would have to be approved, or disapproved, by Ian.

The panel would change as the top five posters changes.

Somebody mentioned "democratic" and to me, that seems tobe "democratic."

Why one person who spams the Forum with multiple inane threads (that push off interesting, well commented, football threads to back pages) just to see their name in print should be allowed to self-appoint themselves to a position of authority is not "democratic" except in a perverted sense.

Notice, I am talking about BEHAVIOUR here.

Nah, this place would be a ghost town. ;)

It's not a suggestion that anything is going on that Ian and the mods can't handle, I believe that the thread was started on the basis that the poster liked the democracy and self policing created by the system.

I believe that is unnecessary. Each and every poster should be expected to police themselves. That should be the basis from which all discussion here arises: Civility is assumed. Anyone stepping too far out of bounds is dealt with by Ian and the moderators. Why is it necessary to establish a member posse to do the same thing? I don't know anyone here I've agreed with 100-percent of the time and who I would trust to judge others. Doing something like this is just asking for trouble nobody needs.

Holy crap, 10 pages on this thread already since I looked at this forum last night and I don't have time to read them all, but has someone mentioned the CRITERIA for which one would be sent to this "Belichick's Bench"? I think that would be important, instead of just saying 'he/she was being totally stupid or obnoxious'. Also, at the risk of being b*tchy today, I noticed a few people posted many, many missives to this thread, which made it unreadable for someone in even a bit of a hurry. One criteria might be "thread flooding", perhaps.

I vote yea for an A**clown forum.

I believe that is unnecessary. Each and every poster should be expected to police themselves. That should be the basis from which all discussion here arises: Civility is assumed. Anyone stepping too far out of bounds is dealt with by Ian and the moderators. Why is it necessary to establish a member posse to do the same thing? I don't know anyone here I've agreed with 100-percent of the time and who I would trust to judge others. Doing something like this is just asking for trouble nobody needs.

The member posse was an idea I disagreed with, that was NEM's idea. I thought it should be democratic or not at all. I did show NEM the actual 'fair' version of his proposal, but that was not an idea I would push for at all.

I personally want the ability to vote people out because I enjoy the reality shows where you get voted off the island.

Apparently others enjoy it also, judging by the vote total! :eek:

I think it's normal for posters to notice features on other websites and come to enjoy those features. Alot of us had to go over to the Planet during the 'dark age' and I'm guessing that some people saw the democracy at work over there and liked it.

Wow...a lot can happen in one night since last I looked apparently.

No, there will be no "Council". The group of moderators that we have I think are more than qualified to help keep things civil around here, although it's always challenging.

As for moving threads and keeping things organized, you'll see what I have planned for that as this place is about to become much more open to go along with the amount of people who are here now. They'll be more to come for that later.

I'm going to close this thread, as I don't want the arguments to persist. However I appreciate everyone's thoughts and contributions, and obviously would welcome everyone to continue to offer suggestions that you feel would enhance your time here.

Ian

Holy crap, 10 pages on this thread already since I looked at this forum last night and I don't have time to read them all, but has someone mentioned the CRITERIA for which one would be sent to this "Belichick's Bench"? I think that would be important, instead of just saying 'he/she was being totally stupid or obnoxious'. Also, at the risk of being b*tchy today, I noticed a few people posted many, many missives to this thread, which made it unreadable for someone in even a bit of a hurry. One criteria might be "thread flooding", perhaps.

I vote yea for an A**clown forum.

haha 'thread flooding'. Oh wait, that could be me. :X

Last edited:
Yes.

Maybe i'm crazy but yes it needs one.

Please make one and then vote me there. But don't send any crybabies.

So i can discuss things that irritate me in peace and avoid the crybabies patting each other on the back and referring to themselves as "Big Fish"

God Bless us Everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye