PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Does Dobson get cut when LaFell returns?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Your replies are getting more ridiculous as the thread goes on. Perhaps you should follow the first rule of holes at this point.

Perhaps you should re-read the initial argument that prompted my response rather than joining late and missing the point of the debate entirely.

I don't know if I'd assign even one defender on Slater, who after 7 years in the league, and to his discredit, simply does not know how to run a deep route, at all. Man, was I pissed-off when I saw what was called.
Hey ease off man! He did have that one glorious 46 yard catch back in 2011 :)

I assumed the play to Slater was to just waste time.

I assumed it was just to make teams aware of the possibility (2015), and to put it on current film. Much like Oswlek's post below, I wouldn't be remotely surprised to see them bust it out another time or two, only to use a different variation/end result further down the road when it counts.

I'm all for the Slater play..... as long as you don't throw it to him. Take advantage of the obvious attention given to him and toss it underneath to Amendola. You may not even need to use a pick play to free Danny with three defenders running deep. :)

Man he had only 2 yards against the Cowboys, if not for stupid penalties it should be 100. I want Danny to be a real threat all season, it's going to benefit the team, he seems to be more involved than ever.

I was a huge fan of the Amendola signing, and he seems to contribute in more ways that "just" catching the football. Either way, I have a difficult time imagining him here for 2016. He's just a bit too expensive for his role in my opinion.

Perhaps Belichick sees his versatility and importance as a backup to Edelman just as well, and is okay with paying his salary. We'll find out next spring. He obviously has the capacity to make timely catches, and his blocking is quite effective.

Josh has to remove the deep out to Slater, it hasn't worked once since it's been implemented. Josh, remove that wasted play ASAP please !! I am frustrated as to why Dobson isn't playing, he had a nice game against the Bills and seemed to be trending upward and then all of a sudden he's not dressing, I just don't understand it. I think he can be a real asset for us.
So Dobson should have been activated for that one play. Who should have been inactive?

I was a huge fan of the Amendola signing, and he seems to contribute in more ways that "just" catching the football. Either way, I have a difficult time imagining him here for 2016. He's just a bit too expensive for his role in my opinion.

Perhaps Belichick sees his versatility and importance as a backup to Edelman just as well, and is okay with paying his salary. We'll find out next spring. He obviously has the capacity to make timely catches, and his blocking is quite effective.

And Cannon has been paid way too much for his role. Sometimes Belichick pays more than poster believe should be paid.

Can't cut Dobson this year because of needing insurance in case anything happens to LaFell and Martin, but there's no way Dobson is making this team next year.
Unfortunately I agree with your perspective on this one. I hope this kid proves me wrong but I think the only reason he is still on the roster is for the reason you mentioned and I would also add that his size and speed is truly a rare find. Problem is the guy has no hands and often seems out of synch with Brady so as tempting as it is to wait for him to develop into a starting NFL wide out, it just seems like good money after bad at this point.

Amendola has a salary cap hit next year of 6.8 million. The Patriots might hold on to Dobson as insurance
if they do not restructure Amendola again.

Cap is increasing, and Amendola is proving to be a money player on special teams and on offense. He comes through in the clutch. LaFell's return will only make Amendola more dangerous. Gronk, Edelman, LaFell, Lewis and Amendola is formidable, with Chandler and Martin as backups.

Let's give Dobson a bit more time before writing him off, he wasn't in the game plan against Dallas but the one time he got targets was in buffalo and he played great. Let's see how this goes

So Dobson should have been activated for that one play. Who should have been inactive?

How about just using Keyshawn Martin on that route instead of the offensively-less-than-useless Slater?

If Dobson is in danger of losing his job I hope the coaching staff is letting it be known to him how tenuous his hold on a roster spot is, and he needs to show a sense of ungency and "want to" while there is still time.

Cap is increasing, and Amendola is proving to be a money player on special teams and on offense. He comes through in the clutch. LaFell's return will only make Amendola more dangerous. Gronk, Edelman, LaFell, Lewis and Amendola is formidable, with Chandler and Martin as backups.
Amendola is not worth $6.8m in cap space. No way no how.

If Dobson is in danger of losing his job I hope the coaching staff is letting it be known to him how tenuous his hold on a roster spot is, and he needs to show a sense of ungency and "want to" while there is still time.

I think after almost three years, that is a little late for someone to suddenly show the motivation they were looking for. I'm pretty sure that during the preseason he did the math and thought he was going to have to impress anyway, before Gibson, Tyms, and LaFell all got injured.

I think its too late for that.

The fact that Dobson can't even make it on the field anymore makes him expendable. He has potential, but maybe he would be better suited on another team

I would still have him on the roster. You never know with injuries. I hope he plays
in indy

Well lets see how he practices this week if he's Inactive again then the writing is definitely on the wall. How could you lose snaps to a Guy that just joined the Team unreal! I keep telling mysef that Dobson is not Big for nothing! 6'3 coupled with Good speed should not be struggling at this point in time.

I assumed the play to Slater was to just waste time. If he gets wide open then you obviously throw it to him, but since he didn't then you just throw it out of bounds and be happy with cutting the clock from 13 seconds to 8 or whatever.

that is just silly. If you are trying to waste time, hand it off to a RB or make a safe toss in the middle of the field to a sure-handed guy.

There are only a couple uses for that play
- dragging two cover men downfield (but then why throw it there, toss it underneath.)
- going for a quick score, (but if you have a 100% rate of throwing it to Slater when he is in & a 0% rate of completions, everyone sees it coming and defends it(sigh two men))
- setting up a tendency that you can take advantage of when you really need it (how long did we wait for the Edeldude to get his first pass: QB stats 100% completion rate, 100% TDs, avg ~60 yds/rec = 168.8 passer rating or what? :). )

The last is my guess that is the only reason they do it. Sometime in the next AFCCG or SB, Slater will line up and Gronk or Lafell will take it to the house. LOL.

that is just silly. If you are trying to waste time, hand it off to a RB or make a safe toss in the middle of the field to a sure-handed guy.
There were 14 seconds and they were out of time outs. They weren't running the ball. That's stupid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST